• Please log in to reply
1504 replies to this topic

#101 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:52 PM

Posted Image

29 Mirtul, 1369

Ajantis' disapproval of our current impression has a strange effect on me. I feel like I should be a better person. The shock of sleeping with a former slaver is still weighing on my soul, so I think of this as a kind of redemption. I have a few words with Shar-Teel, asking her to go back to the Jovial Juggler and wait for us, and then have her swap some equipment with Ajantis. She grumbles, but complies. I feel a little wistful as she departs. I guess I'm not over her, yet. Perhaps we can get back together after we've had some time apart? She sees me looking at her as she goes away.

Posted Image

Yeah... I'll definitely miss her.

Ajantis looks like he just stepped out of a story book. He even has a crested shield. With his shield he can't use the Flame of the North, so I keep it to myself for now. I do give him the Gauntlets of Ogre Power and the Ring of Protection, however.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: I neglected to mention this before, but as a Cavalier, Ajantis has some innate abilities.

Posted Image

Remove Fear will do as it says. Not only is Ajantis immune to fear but he can make other people not scared as well. Protection From Evil is just as the cleric spell, a double bless and double curse rolled into one. Lay on Hands is a healing spell. Detect Evil will make the bad guys glow red - easy to determine who to kill. And Cure Disease will be useful if we ever get diseased. A cleric can do all these things, except for Lay on Hands, but clerics don't usually have these spells memorized because they need to heal everybody. So paladins are quite useful in that they are a lesser spell-carting chassis.

I put him in the front of the party formation, with the two clerics immediately behind. One fighter, two clerics, and three ranged attackers - I feel better about our chances now than ever before!

Posted Image

We go to explore this area, to find out what is happening with the locals. Not five minutes later we come across a small gathering of farmers.

Posted Image

Err, fishermen, judging by the smell. I approach them to see what's going on.

Posted Image

Posted Image Not another step people! I'll not be havin' strangers armed to the teeth near mah boat!

Posted Image You told them rightly Jebadoh, but these layabouts might just be the answer to the problem.

Posted Image Oh yeah, the problem. Sorry for my manner but we're... we're a poor folk not accustomed to trouble, and it's hard times now. We can't but get a boat into the water before she's swamped by the rains.

Posted Image It's that bitch of Umberlee! She's the one!

Posted Image Steady Telman. What he means is; we're being harassed by a priest of the Bitch Queen Umberlee. We don't even know why, but whenever we attempt to fish she turns the weather sour. Two of us were washed away just walking to the docks, but we cannot prove to the guard it was her. We be needin' someone to strong arm her into leaving us alone. We've not much money, but I'll gladly give you a... magical weapon from my grandfather's adventuring days. It's a meager amount for your trouble, but it would be a great service to us. Will you help a group of poor fishermen?

Posted Image Your offer is fair. Consider it done.

Posted Image Ahh, I knew we could depend on you to do what's right. She hides out near a small shack to the north. Watch yer backs and act quickly; she's tricky. Good luck brave friends.

Posted Image Syvishtar, Umberlee is a cruel and evil deity, but her priestesses wouldn't harass fishermen without provocation. I have the feeling there is more to this story than we were told.

Ajantis' advice is reassuring, and I nod. We do need to find the whole story here. We continue exploring the immediate area with plans to go north to find the Priestess of Umberlee. But first, Imoen says she needs to make a slight detour.

Posted Image

Posted Image I had the impression I scared you quite heavily. Whom did you expect?

Posted Image Well... why shouldn't I tell you? Maybe you can even help me with this.

Posted Image Would you be interested in earning something extra? Eliminate the monster lurking behind my house and I will reward you.

Posted Image What kind of monster are we talking about?

Posted Image It's a zombie... I think.

Posted Image Agreed. I will kill it.

Posted Image Excellent. You will find him... it... behind the house, hiding in the brushwood. With all your weapons it should be easy for you to kill this thing.

Imoen comes back outside and motions for us to follow her around the house. When we do...

Posted Image

Posted Image Wait a moment - you are able to talk?

Posted Image Deeear Leilllla... Sweeeeeet Leilllla...

Posted Image "Sweet Leila" doesn't want to be threatened by you. You are a monster!

Posted Image Whaaaaaat? Siiiignedddd the connnnnnnnntraaaact...

Posted Image Signed what contract? What are you talking about?

Posted Image Siiiignedddd the connnnnnnnntraaaact...

Posted Image What contract are you talking about? Hmm, I fear answering that question would exceed his abilities of verbal enunciation.

We are all quite confused at this point, so we all pile into Leila's house. I take over the questioning.

Posted Image

Posted Image You kept quiet about some of the details. The zombie mentioned a contract...

Posted Image A-haha! A zombie mentions a... a contract, and you believe it? The thought it ridiculous.

Posted Image No, I want to know what contract you and the zombie concluded.

Posted Image But I swear I never made an agreement with an undead creature! What kind of contrat would that be... eh hehe...?

Posted Image I don't believe you. You have to tell me the truth if you expect me to help.

Posted Image I did not lie! I never made a contract with this... this thing behind my house!

Posted Image But with my husband, I made one... *sigh*. Here is the contract he is talking about. See, it stipulates that I shall remain his faithful wife, even after his death. I... I couldn't possibly know this man would pay a necromancer to call him back after he died!

Posted Image Do you have any idea what I've been through lately? I loved him... I signed the contract because I was determined to stay faithful to him as long I intended to live on his wealth, even after his death. But that... that... that is sick!

Posted Image I will kill it for you.

I can't stand the thought of this going on any further. The undead are disgusting! I am not Bassilus. We go outside to confront the beast.

Posted Image

Posted Image Enough talking! I will kill you, monster!

The battle is quick and unremarkable. The zombie just falls over.

Posted Image

Posted Image Everything is done as you requested.

Posted Image I thank you. I thank you so much. Please, I am no evil person, but too much is too much... maybe I won't even stay here. The house will decay, if he can't grant it to others...

Posted Image Farewell.

The whole experience almost puts Imoen off from entering the second house. Almost.

Posted Image

She's disappointed that it is occupied, so we go further up the road.

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#102 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:53 PM

Just a bit to the north we find a quaint farm, and a distraught farmer.

Posted Image

Posted Image You need look no further for aid. What can I do?

Posted Image Oh by the Great Mother, thank you! My son Nathan and his friends went looking for our missing cattle, then they just up and disappeared! Been gone for days now and, with all the bandits around, who knows what's happened. I don't know where they were heading but I saw some sort o' tracks to the west. Please find Nathan; I can't afford to keep the farm without my son.

Posted Image Oh, I do feel sorry for that farmer! Full of palpable worry, he is! Palpable! I hope we can help!

We head west, to find these tracks that Farmer Brun mentioned. Instead of tracks, though, we find a huge hole in the ground. How did this guy miss it?

Posted Image

We descend into the cool darkness. As soon as we get down there, Finch screams that there is an enemy, but we cannot see anything.

Posted Image

Then something erupts from the earth next to Finch and Imoen!

Posted Image

They have the presence of mind to switch to melee weapons, and the battle is on! Weapons and missiles go flying. I get a lucky shot and kill the beast, just as it rips into Imoen.

Posted Image

Both Tiax and Finch rush to heal her, though, and she is fine. Ajantis is able to pull its shell off of the rest of the body, and slips it into his pack.

Posted Image

Cautiously, we advance deeper into the twisty passages. They look all alike. Soon enough another Ankheg ambushes us from the ground.

Posted Image

Imoen is able to take down that one, and we sustain no injuries. Ajantis picks up its shell as well. Strangely enough both of the Ankhegs are carrying Silver Necklaces. We continue further into the deeps, and of course are ambushed again. This time the Ankheg spits out a disgusting green blob at Finch, which eats away at her and kills her instantly.

Posted Image

In response, Imoen and Xzar both cast Magic Missiles at it. Then it does the same thing to Ajantis.

Posted Image

My wolf is next in line, and is Near Death. I order Tiax to heal it and pray it is enough. It isn't. I scream for my wolf but it is too late. My cat, perhaps sensing my emotions, gets the killing blow.

Posted Image

I had no idea these Ankhegs could be so dangerous. One of them killed three of my companions. The others were so easy to kill, I didn't think it would happen like this. We set about picking up the equipment of the fallen. We realize that nobody has the strength to carry the Ankheg shells, so we leave them where they are. Searching the fallen body of my wolf makes my heart beat strangely in my chest. I find this.

Posted Image

I use Finch's glasses to identify it.

Posted Image

My wolf! He can be saved! I immediately give the bone to Tiax and tell him to do his clerical thing on it. He mutters some words over the bone, and Haiass is resurrected!

Posted Image

Posted Image How's my good wolf? Want to play? Here, boy, get your toy! Good wolf!

Posted Image (Haiass chews his little toy and then returns next to you and wags his tail. He seems very happy.)

Tiax looks visibly weakened, though.

Posted Image

I wonder why Tiax can't do that with our other companions. Cautiously, we make our way out of the foul lair and back to the surface. Then we travel the long, lonely road back to the Friendly Arm to get some resurrections and much-needed rest.

Posted Image
The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#103 Leokosta

Leokosta
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:07 PM

Hey, I noticed that some weapons have on the description large sword and small swords. Do They use the long and short sword proeficences ?

#104 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:36 PM

You know, I'm still not clear on that. Those descriptions are from BG1, when there were small sword and large sword proficiencies. I just kinda hope that they got converted to short sword and long sword proficiencies.

#105 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

Posted Image

29 Mirtul, 1369

This platemail is getting quite heavy in my backpack as we complete the last leg of our journey and walk into the Temple of Wisdom.

Posted Image

It costs 200 gold to raise Finch. I need to manage the party better or we're going to be broke forever. Then we sleep in the temple overnight. I wonder why everybody doesn't just sleep in temples. They're free, after all. In the morning, Tiax feels especially ... ascendant.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Syvishtar, we must have a discussion. This... Tiax... has been going on these obnoxious rants for some time now. He reeks of evil, proclaims devotion to the wicked god Cyric, and is quite obviously an agent of dark powers.

Posted Image Moreover, he is *annoying me to no end!* Though his madness limits the damage he can cause, I fail to see how such a wicked creature could further the cause of Helm. Why do you keep him here?

Posted Image Great Tiax orders you to speak, worm!

I actually have to pause and consider my options. I hadn't really given it much thought before.

Posted Image

In the end I just choose to be honest, and answer the truth of the voices in my head. The man is a paladin, after all.

Posted Image I keep him around because he amuses me. I get a kick out of his crazed rants.

Posted Image You think Tiax is a clown, here for your amusement? Would you like Tiax to do a little dance and wear a funny costume, as well!? Why Cyric granted Tiax such disrespectful slaves, Tiax will never know, but he tires of this impudence! World conquest shall come soon, and then his slave's laughter will turn to tears upon the sacrificial altar!

Posted Image I'm afraid, Syvishtar, we do not share the same sense of humor. I will be very happy when this gnome parts ways from our group. For now, however, I yield to your judgment.

It seems that Ajantis has another thought on his mind, however.

Gameplay note: Is Ajantis' theme from Civ 3 or something? It sounds familiar but I can't place it and its driving me crazy.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Ajantis, I don't like that myself, but it is only a temporary thing. It will change soon.

Posted Image I am relieved to hear this. Let us move on and make your words come true by our actions!

I couldn't agree more. This guy doesn't seem to be half-bad. I had heard terrible, terrible rumors about paladins in the past, but none of them are proving true, yet. We stop by the main Friendly Arm Inn to see if there is anything to help us against the Ankheg's acid, but there is nothing but basic equipment. I ask Finch to memorize some Commands, hopefully to be able to make them sleep. She also says she will Bless us before battle. We spend the night once more at the Temple of Wisdom and head back.

Posted Image

When we arrive, it is dark. We go back to the great pit in the ground and descend into deeper blackness once again. This time I ask Ajantis to drink a Potion of Heroism that I find clanking around in my backpack.

Posted Image

I must have looted it off a bandit somewhere. And I tell everyone, no matter what, to stay in formation.

Posted Image

I send my cat out to scout, and she quickly finds another Ankheg.

Posted Image

We cautiously approach. Ajantis casts Protection from Evil. Finch casts Bless.

Posted Image

And we all strike as hard as we can. The beast spits once at Ajantis, but misses. My cat strikes the killing blow.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: You know, 440 xp per kill is pretty hefty for level 1 and 2 characters. If we can speed through this cavern and kill the rest of the ankhegs before our protections wear off we could be looking at a fully level 2 party. Ajantis will absolutely level up next kill. Syvishtar maybe in two or three.

I urge our party forward. Kill first loot second, I say. We must destroy these evil abominations as quickly as possible, while Deneir and Helm are still with us! We rush forward blindly into the darkness, but still in formation. We find our second victim just a small ways to the north. Ajantis charges in while we support him.

Posted Image

The beast falls in mere moments.

Gameplay note: Holy shit Ajantis! 42 damage with an unmagical bastard sword?! The best Shar-teel ever did with the Flame of the North was 40 damage.

We press on. Ajantis is looking more powerful than ever.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Another beast we see, and this time mine is the deathblow.

Posted Image

Ajantis shouts, "Go go go!" and we follow him as he turns right. We rush another beast, but this time Finch becomes injured.

Posted Image

I tell Tiax to heal her while she casts a Command against the beast. But it is too late. The Ankheg follows up with another spitting attack as Finch pulls away to cast her spell. Finch falls.

Posted Image

My cat destroys this beast, and I feel the magic flowing into me, more than has ever come within me before. I feel twice as powerful as I have ever been!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still pumped with our Bless and Protection from Evil, we hit the next Ankheg with ruthless abandon. Ajantis is hit hard, but he drinks a healing potion.

Posted Image

Tiax does something that I had never imagined to see before. He summons a ghast. And at the same time, Ajantis dies... again.

Posted Image

Then two very strange things happen at the same time. I cast an Azragan's at the Ankheg and it glows with a protection spell, of all things. Then the ghast paralyzes the Ankheg, and it freezes in mid-attack. It is easy prey for my minions then.

Posted Image

For the first time in my life, I doubt the weave. What is it trying to do there, help the monster? Globe of Invulnerability on an Ankheg? How could it... why would it...? I look over to Xzar for perhaps some answers, but he just gibbers something about being the destroyer of worlds and cackles madly. I need affirmation. I need to know the weave is here for me, the magic is helping me. So despite the loss of two party members, I press us all forward. I have one spell left. I will use it as a test.

We find another Ankheg. We send in the wolf, the cat, and the ghast. I cast my spell. I ask the weave to show me a sign. Is it really on my side?

Posted Image

I feel power rushing into my limbs, and my grip on my Serpent Shaft is surer. I know what this means! With a shout, I charge into combat, waving my staff over my head.

Gameplay note: The specific wild surge I got was 42 - Caster is combat ready (+2 THACO, +2 Damage). I'd say that was a pretty blatant sign!

In a blur of combat, the beast falls.

Posted Image

We search the rest of the cavern, but we find no more Ankhegs. We have destroyed the threat!

Posted Image

Which brings us to a strange problem. Scattered throughout the cavern we have 5 ankheg shells, 2 sets of platemail, and swords, flails, and the other equipment of Ajantis and Finch. If we leave anything here, random looters will undoubtedly take it all. But we don't have the strength to carry it. I tell Tiax to wear Finch's Boots of the Forgotten Ones, then I tell him to memorize 4 Strength of Stone spells. He does so. I remembered seeing a cubbyhole to the north, so I grab an ankheg shell and then, barely able to move, I slowly make my way there.

Posted Image

I unload everything that I'm carrying into the cubbyhole and feel much lighter. So light, in fact, that I can carry one ankheg shell without slowing. I gather up everything that I can and take it back to the cubbyhole, one piece at a time. I also notice some equipment in the cubbyhole, but I can't think about that now. I just take the 500 gold coins and stuff everything else back in. Then we put out existing weapons and armor into the cubbyhole as well. We have ankheg shells to carry, there is no room for anything else.

Posted Image

Then we go topside and make camp for the night. I do not trust sleeping in the enemy's lair. When we do, Xzar seems to want to say someting.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image N-no, just ain't had much to say, is all.

Posted Image Then heed me now, child. How many deaths do you bear within you?

Posted Image Whew! Just one quick, painless one, I hope.

Posted Image Truly? And what of the children you will someday have, and their children and theirs again? Consider this multitude, lining up before the pit of death, like gladiators in the arena.

Posted Image Are you *trying* to creep me out, Xzar? 'Cause you're doing a great job of it.

Posted Image Oh. Then pass me my blue blankie, would you? It's just beside your knee there on the sward.

#106 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

After 8 hours of rest, we go back to perform Operation Ankheg Haul. First, Tiax casts Strength of Stone upon all the remaining party members we have.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We then load ourselves up with as much crap as we can carry. Well, everyone except Xzar. He seems to be distracted.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Uh... Xzar, what are you looking for there?

Posted Image Looking for? Nothing... well, the crushed neck bones of a hanged man would be nice.

Posted Image Found anything?

Posted Image No... but you may have. That gaud... may i see it? Yes, mithril, I judge... I have seen them before. So useful if I... that is, *we*... should want to enchant anything.

Posted Image Is it magical?

Posted Image No, not magical... yet. That is its merit. No one has botched it already, you see.

Posted Image Either way, it's party treasure. Give it back.

Posted Image I think not. You might lose it... or sell it for food at a time when I, personally, am not even hungry.

Posted Image Uh-huh. When - and into what - do *you* propose to enchant it?

Posted Image The 'what' will see to itself. We meet so many delightful creatures such as the one whose sloshy remains even now are staining my footwear.

Posted Image 'When' will depend upon a bit more silence from yourself; a cessation of your usual silly questions and pointless nagging. Honestly, Syvishtar, most days I should rather talk to my socks. Especially the left one, which is becoming rather damp at the moment.

Posted Image Have it, then. I am actually curious to see what *you* will make of it.

Posted Image Don't be silly, Syvishtar. I would never embark upon so vital a thaumaturgy without... guidance.

Tiax's strength boosting gets us as far as the entrance of the pit before giving out. This is going to be a long trip. But we have five ankheg shells.

We sleep again, to replenish his spells. This time we get to the edge of the area. We travel to the Friendly Arm, and rest once more. We finally make it to the Temple of Wisdom, and resurrect Ajantis and Finch, yet again.

Posted Image

With the help of our newly-resurrected friends, we undertake the second half of our journey - travelling to the Thunderhammer Smithy in Beregost.

Posted Image

Ajantis, carrying 4 ankheg shells, is still a little overburdened, so one boost from Tiax helps him to go a little faster than normal. We eventually make it.

Posted Image

Posted Image You have just bought yourself some ankheg sir! A pleasure doing business with you.

Posted Image Ahhh, this will make a fine suit of plate for a governor of better. Nobility like exotic materials, and don't care much about the price. Probably close to 20,000 gold for a tenday's work when I'm finished. I may survive this iron shortage after all.

And after all that trouble, he just bought ONE of the shells. Just one! Never mentioned buying off another or making anything for US. Not that we have 20,000 gold pieces. We barely have 500 now.

Gameplay note: Since we have a paladin in our party now I'd like to point out a piece of armor for sale here, which only paladins can use.

Posted Image

Just as a reference, Plate Mail has an AC of 3. There is a helmet, a ring, and a bastard sword that match this amazing piece of equipment for sale at the Song of the Morning Temple. There is also a longbow, but since Ajantis is a Cavalier he can't use it. Some modder was thinking specifically of Ajantis when they made this equipment set. The Sukien Holy Armor costs 25,500 gold though.

Eh, I can't just MENTION those items without showing them off, so lets take a short detour to the Song of the Morning Temple, after dropping off these other ankheg shells at the Jovial Juggler.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sukien Holy Armor: 25,500 gold
   		Champion Sword:  7,500 gold
Signet Ring of the Sukien:  9,000 gold
   Helm of the Holy Guard: 10,500 gold
--------------------------------------
Cost of a fully-
 		equipped Paladin: 52,500 gold

Being good is EXPENSIVE. But if we keep Ajantis around long enough he can potentially become the best-equipped meleer in the game.

When we get back to the Lower Chionthar, Ajantis finally realizes what he's been carrying around in his backpack for the past 12 hours.

Posted Image

We go to the farmer first, to give him the bad news. I let Imoen break it to him. She's good at that sort of thing.

Posted Image

Posted Image I am afraid Nathan is dead, sir. He died defending your farm from a nest of strange beasts.

Posted Image ... No... my only son... It is a black day. He died for this farm, but I am too old to work it and too poor to hire someone else. I've lost him AND the land. At least now I know... Thank you for your help but... I wish to be alone now.

Posted Image Syvishtar, we have to talk to this poor man again and see whether we can help him. We can't leave him like this!

Posted Image You've done all I could ask of you, bringing me his body. You can't help it if I'm a poor old farmer.

I take a look at Imoen, and it seems like this difficult experience has not got her down, as it normally would, but instead she seems stronger, more sure of herself, more resolute. I wonder what I would ever do without her.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Without hesitation, she talks to Farmer Brun again, as Ajantis suggested.

Posted Image

Posted Image Brun... we have all we need. In fact, you'd be doing us a favor if you would take this extra 100 gold off our hands. It's a burden for us to carry.

Posted Image Well... if it's causin' you strife to hang on to it, I suppose I could... hold it for ya. Thank you, strangers. I don't believe I'll see the like of you again.

Posted Image That was an honorable deed, Syvishtar! The money will help Farmer Brun maintain his farm without his son.

Posted Image And very clever of you, too! Pretending that we do *not* mean to give money to him was the only way to make this proud man accept the donation!

Posted Image

Imoen is so touched by the whole thing she doesn't even go into his house. I remind everyone of the loot we left in the pit, and we all eagerly walk there to find out what we have gained. There is quite a lot of unidentified loot, but working closely with Finch we sort it all out.

Gameplay note: First of all, there are new spells!

Posted Image

I've never really sat down and done a comparative study on the benefits vs drawbacks of Ghost Armor, Armor, Shield, and Spirit Armor. Lets see... Armor is level 1 spell, duration 9 hours, and AC 6. Ghost Armor is a level 3 spell, duration 10 turns, and AC 2. Also +20% to Hide in Shadows... was that there in the original game? I don't remember it. The other two spells I don't have so they are immaterial at this time. 10 turns is about 10 minutes, or generally enough time to explore an average map without too many fights. Since Syvishtar only has 3 spell slots available, they all go to Nahal's Reckless Dweomer right now. Not really feeling the need or desire to take up one of those slots with any Armor spell.

Posted Image

Dire Charm is not something I usually use, but maybe I should use it more often. I remember enemies using this spell a lot. I remember it being really annoying when one of my party members turned on me. I'll have to try to keep that in mind.

#107 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

We also find some potions.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And finally, some weapons and equipment.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Interesting darts. Rose would like those. But I'm sure we can find a use for them ourselves, as well. The big scorer this time, however, is Finch.

Posted Image

a +1 to hit! woot!

Posted Image

and -1 to AC! woot again! These two items make our little librarian an equal to Ajantis in almost every way. She's got 20 hit points, 0 AC, and a THAC0 of 19. He's got 17 hit points, 0 AC, and a THAC0 of 15. They are both going to be front-line buddies from now on, and he'll hit more.

After finishing our looting, we move back to the road and continue to take it north. We have a priestess of Umberlee to find, after all!

Posted Image

#108 Beleg33

Beleg33

AKA Adanedhel on G3

• 521 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:57 AM

Real nice LP there! How far ahead are you on the SA forums?

I wouldn't be able to stand so much dying and resurrecting... Quick loads ftw, and pick the best turn of events :devil:

Quick note about the old proficiencies for swords : just check your thac0 if you ever run into another of those "large" swords and have a character only proficient in either long or bastard swords :)
Random spambot #8434678 said :

you should liquor multiplying great deal supplment your to office apparel predicated copy may possibly be an go through check out this behave as more busy den has an interest in pc

#109 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:58 AM

27 more updates to go. I don't want to spam the thread but I do want to get caught up. Thanks for the tip on large swords :).

#110 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:58 AM

Posted Image

4 Kythorn, 1369

I realize that it has now been one month since this whole crazy mess started. Gorion... Gorion led me out of the walls of Candlekeep on 1 Mirtul, and now it is... now it is 4 Kythorn. I had never been outside Candlekeep before, and now I'm effectively banished, and for a whole month. How many more months, or years, will go by before I can get back in? Do I even want to get back in? I have nothing to look forward to but life on the road this month, and the next, and the next... Inns aren't free, after all. We'll find this Umberlee woman, and we'll get rewarded, and then we can have enough money to rest for a few more weeks if we desire, maybe, or maybe even resurrect another dead comrade. But what then? What next?

Best not to think about it. North we go! My party members are complaining of fatigue, but Inns don't pay for themselves!

Posted Image

Alright already, geez! People just don't leave you alone. By the time we finish resting, it is dark.

Posted Image
Posted Image

We go north, and my cat spots a woman holding a spear near the river's edge. We talk to her.

Posted Image

Little late lady, they're all dead. Wait... 50 yards to the east?

Posted Image

Oh no. Poor Finch is going to be toast. I try to shout out a warning, but she and Ajantis just heal themselves and run in.

Posted Image

The Ankheg focuses its huge beady eyes on Imoen, so I tell her to pull back. She just laughs at me and... disappears right in front of my eyes?!

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Imoen got Invisibility as her innate ability on level-up to 3. Go Charming Rogue!

The Ankheg shoots its acid death blob at Finch instead then, seriously wounding her. I tell HER to run away and growl it out this time. Maybe she'll listen. She does. That's when I notice that there are two Ankhegs.

Posted Image

I shout out "Magic Missile!" and Imoen, Xzar, and I all cast Magic Missile together. Xzar's one missile fires out, and Imoen manages to cast two at once! For me, though, the magic turns up on me and destroys all my gold... again. I grumble to myself and switch to my bow.

Posted Image

Haiass falls in combat, and the second Ankheg spits at Ajantis. I feel like this is the end... but then Finch comes running up, fast as an arrow, and casts a heal upon Ajantis. The spit misses somehow, or maybe hits my cat, and the first Ankheg goes down. I pray that we can take the second out quickly. Tiax manages to buff Ajantis' strength again. He seems exceptionally powerful.

Posted Image

Xzar and I go for another magical volley. He with his Magic Missile, and me with an Azragan's. Instead of harming the Ankheg, though, the magic swirls around us and heals us all. That's nice... I guess. We could use some heals. Then I realize that it didn't include Ajantis. Does the magic not like Ajantis?

Posted Image

We all continue to pound on the beast. Then Finch tries the spell she had not been able to use before, due to her being dead. She casts a Command at the Ankheg, and it falls unconsious. At least I think it does. It doesn't really change its position so you can't really tell. It's not fighting back though...

Posted Image

We fight, we strike, we fire, and the beast goes down. Ajantis gets the killing blow with a shockingly bloody strike from his bastard sword. We breathe a collective sigh of relief.

Posted Image

I tell Tiax to do his thing on Haiass's bone again, and tell Ajantis to pick up the shells. Then we head north as it begins to rain.

Posted Image

Four hours later, we arrive at Wyrm's Crossing. We are hailed by a passing farmer.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image We're adventurers.

Posted Image Never met adventurers before. Well if you're a bunch of heroes, maybe you could find out who's been dumping all their waste in the lakes 'round here. You could find out who's at fault, and maybe put a stop to it, permanent-like.

Suddenly the problem with the fishermen and the priestess of Umberlee seems much more clear. Before we get to this, though, I think its best if we camped and rested until morning. Refreshed spells, healed up, that sort of thing. I decide to try something new - I memorize an Armor spell, straight. No going through Nahal's Reckless Dweomer for me tomorrow, I'm going to go straight to the source of Armor. We'll see how that works out. We make camp and sleep without incident, waking up bright and late, just like I like it, around 10 am.

I begin the new day by casting Armor. It works entirely normally. No whispers from the Weave. I'm not sure if I should be pleased or worried.

Posted Image

Gameplay Note: Syvishtar has 23 hit points, an AC of 2, and a THAC0 of 16. He has 3/2 attacks. Also he's wielding a +3 weapon which delivers 1D6+3 damage + 1D6 extra poison damage AND a 15% chance to Snake Bite, which deals 30% of maximum hit points within 3 rounds. Compare this to Ajantis, who has 17 hit points, an AC of 0, and a THAC0 of 15. He also has 3/2 attacks, and is wielding a Bastard Sword that does 1D10 damage. Or compare to Finch, who has 20 hit points, an AC of 0, and a THAC0 of 19 with 1 attack. She's wielding a Masterwork Flail which gives 1D10 damage. Maybe Syvishtar really should be on the front lines? I'll try it out today and see how it goes.

I talk to my companions, and give them a new strategy that I had thought about last night. We will form a wall of 3 in front - Ajantis, me, and Finch. Ajantis seems dubious about me being on the front lines, but after I show him my staff with its snakely motif, he becomes a little more understanding. Finch tells me she'll heal me first at the slightest problem. Tiax, Imoen, and Xzar seem more than happy to be in the back, but I notice that Imoen takes a place directly behind me. That girl's always got my back.

Posted Image

Thus arranged, we continue up the road towards what looks to be a huge bridge.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Unfortunately halfway across the bridge we come across a Flaming Fist Mercenary.

Posted Image

Posted Image This is the city of Baldur's Gate! You have the mighty Flaming Fist to defend you. Why would you be afraid of bandit incursions?

Posted Image Normally what you have said would be true, but most of the Flaming Fist is down to the south, and the Grand Dukes feel that the city is exposed. I apologize for any inconvenience, but there is nothing I can do.

A little disappointed, we backtrack across the bridge and onto the shore again. I was really looking forward to seeing a big city. I suppose that the priestess of Umberlee is going to be along the shoreline somewhere? I take the party north, following the water.

Posted Image

We soon come apon a quaint little house, with a woman standing outside of it. But then, from behind the house, we hear a familiar chittering, and soon enough next to the woman bursts forth another Ankheg!

Posted Image

Before I have a chance to give any orders, Finch begins casting a spell. It sounds like Command. I don't wait for it to finish, though - I order everybody else to attack. As we all rush in, it turns out to be a Bless. Close guess but no luck. Good reflexes on the librarian though.

Posted Image

But her reflexes turn out to be her undoing. The Ankheg apparently views her as a threat with all the chanting and flashy lights, and spits at her with his dying breath. Finch falls down to the ground, dead. Again.

Posted Image

I instruct Ajantis to pick up the other Ankheg shell and Finch's equipment. He doesn't seem to have a problem carrying it all. I'm a little impressed. Then, despite the fact that we are down one cleric, I decide to continue on. After all, Tiax is looking pretty confident right now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I approach the lady at the house, hoping she can tell us where the priestess of Umberlee is.

Posted Image

Posted Image Uhhh... they did send me, but I wish only to know what is going on.

Posted Image As cowardly as they are treacherous; hiring others to do what they could not! Tonight I shall put an end to all of this! The seas cry for vengeance!

Then she attacks us!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Everyone reacts automatically. Tenya begins casting a spell and I am reminded of Bassilus. Before she can finish, though, Ajantis cuts her down. I'm a little surprised. I thought he was the one wanting to be cautious in this.

Posted Image

Not knowing what else to do, we check her body. She has two healing potions, a Flail, and some magical gauntlets. Using Finch's eyeglasses, we are able to identify them.

Posted Image

Bracers of Defense! I put them on, but they don't seem to have any effect while my Armor spell is active. I hand them to Xzar, who straps them on quickly and breathes a sigh of relief. It might just be me, but I think he might look visibly less crazy. Was it the stress of being a low-level unequipped mage that drove him mad in the first place? I can commiserate.

Posted Image

We decide to go back and talk to the fishermen about this. There is really nothing else to do. I feel a little sad, though. I wish this could have gone another way.

Posted Image

When we get back, I approach the fishermen. I don't want Imoen to have to tell this story.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Have you done it?! Have you killed the bitch?

Posted Image She will trouble you no more.

Posted Image Talos be praised, a last I can sleep well again.

Posted Image We all will friend. Hear that boys? The child is dead! We'll be back to our boats tomorrow with smooth sailing forever! The Bitch Queen can't touch us now, and we'll take her seas for all they're worth! And to you my... heroic saviors; to you go the spoils. Behold the mystical marvel that is my grandfather's flail. Enjoy.

Gameplay note: For killing the priestess of Umberlee we get 454 xp and another Masterwork Flail. Hardly a mystical marvel. If we could have pulled our punches and not killed the child-priestess of Umberlee too quickly we could have gotten a quest from her to get some sort of bowl from these bastards. Then we would have ended up with a better reward and a reputation point increase, maybe. Also we would be on good terms with the temple of Umberlee in Baldur's Gate, when we get into that city. But the party just killed her too quickly, so that's off the table. Remember, semi-hardcore mode, no reloading. No regrets, no surrender!

Now that the quest is finished, we have to go resurrect Finch. We head south to the Temple of Wisdom.

Posted Image

Selling our extra Masterwork Flail gives us enough cash to resurrect Finch, but once again we come out of a quest barely breaking even and dead broke. Finch and Tiax work together to heal her up back to full. I guess despite his plans for world domination, Tiax still feels a twinge of short people solidarity?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#111 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:58 AM

Gameplay note: I remember way back on the first few pages I had a short discussion about my favorite Baldur's Gate music, and I said I wasn't able to find it. Well, I've finally found it, and its this track just above, called The Lady's House. That is what plays within the Temple of Wisdom and I could just idle there all day sometimes.

Once again we rest in the Temple overnight. Then we head back north. I want to follow the river northwards to the Upper Chionthar. There may be bandits there.

Posted Image

When we arrive, I cast Armor, and we begin to scout around.

Posted Image
Posted Image

It's a nice, peaceful place, with flowing water and a green meadow. That is, until the zombies come.

Posted Image

He doesn't last long against us, though. We continue to follow the flowing water. We soon find another zombie, and what looks to be signs of a farm.

Posted Image

I am able to take this one out with my staff. We keep going, and soon enough, we see a farm building, some chickens, a cow, and another zombie!

Posted Image

Xzar takes this one out. Continuing north, we find a farmhouse and someone who may very well be ... a farmer! However, he doesn't seem to like me much.

Posted Image

I send Imoen in. He seems to like her a lot better.

Posted Image

Kill 20 zombies, get 150 gold. Seems pretty straightforward! And these undead haven't been hard for us to kill so far. Time to earn some easy cash!

The farm seems to be pretty well-defended, with walls on three sides that butt up against the river. It's only the south side that looks vulnerable to zombies. That is good design. We head south and hope that there are still 20 zombies to kill.

Posted Image

Happily, we find two just south of us. We rush into the attack.

Posted Image

One gets a hit in on Ajantis but he Lays Hands upon himself and seems fine. The two zombies go down without incident.

Xzar seems to have a different take on what's going on than we do.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Are you cra... out of your... Xzar! The place is full of zombies, and they're trying to kill us!

Posted Image Marvelous, aren't they? It's not their fault they're trying to kill us, after all. They just weren't made correctly.

I suddenly have a vision of a zombie horde, jerkily shambling and trying to dance to a minor-key version of Born This Way. I shudder.

We find another couple of zombies in the trees to the south. I scrutinize them, but they do not seem to be doing any dances of any sort. I breathe a sigh of relief and smack them with my Serpent Shaft.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Two go down, but four more appear. This seems like a job for ... BURNING HANDS!

Posted Image

I rush into melee range, preparing to roast me some zombie. I call upon the weave and try to shape it into a fan of flaming blazes.

Posted Image

Pure white magic falls down upon me from above, and I am surrounded by an explosion of smoke. A flock of beautiful birds fly away from my immediate vicinity. Then a zombie hits me, hard.

Posted Image

I pull back from melee and let Tiax heal me. Ajantis gets hit hard too, but he drinks a healing potion and looks fine. Finch, sensing the fight is getting more serious, moves in to cast a Bless upon us all. Xzar and Imoen release Magic Missiles at different targets.

Posted Image

Ajantis casts Protection from Evil, and turns his attention to the nearest evil he can find. I switch to my bow.

Posted Image

In a moment, the zombies are chunked. Six more down. We search around and can't find any more zombies, so we go back to Wenric.

Posted Image

I groan inwardly. We killed all the zombies around! What does he want us to do, make more? I turn to Finch, the speedy one, and ask her to go scouting. She replies with "Oh no. I couldn't. I couldn't! Oh, okay!" She is obviously inhibited, that one. She manages to find a way around the fence near the water that we had not previously seen, and goes scouting over that way. She soon finds another zombie.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: I never cared much about this quest, so I never finished it before. But apparently its a pixel-hunting quest. You need to find the correct place to click to get past the fence near the water. Yay I guess?

We attack five more zombies. I think that perhaps it is time once again for Burning Hands.

Posted Image

The magic flows out from my hands, lashes around the zombie in front of me, and ...

Posted Image

the now-female zombie falls to the earth. The magic changed a zombie from male to female, right before the zombie was slaughtered by Ajantis. I do not... how should I... what is... for the love of the weave what does that mean ?! A moment later the zombies fall, but the scar on my psyche will last forever. Lever. Sever. When we return to Wenric this time, we can collect the reward.

Posted Image

Posted Image Thanks for gettin's rid of those zombies and stuffs. We all really appreciates it and all.

Posted Image I have an opportunity for you brave scouts. I can advise you to avoid The Fields of the Dead. It has been a regular dwelling place for orcs and other lost souls for ages, but their number are increasing unexpectedly lately. Their activites touch even us, and they are constantly trying to kidnap people from around here... My neighbor, Yness, went to Ulgoth's Beard for help, since her husband was the last one to disappear. She must have been there for a week, now. Maybe she never even got there... Well, don't know what are your plans, but be careful.

Gameplay note: That is the first sniff of the Northern Tales of the Sword Coast mod, a very old-school mod originally created for Baldur's Gate 1, and resurrected to be part of the BiG World Project. It's rather high-level stuff, so might be too scary for us. But the Fields of the Dead are just northeast of here...

For killing all the zombies, we get 150 gold, 363 xp, and +1 rep!

I savor the sweet, sweet taste of finishing a quest without anybody dying, even once.

Posted Image

Our next path is unclear. Should we heed this Wenric's advice and steer clear of the Fields of the Dead? Should we stop by Ulgoth's Beard to find his friend? Or should we stick to our original plan and go back south, clearing out the rest of the road to Nashkel?

Posted Image

I must think about this as Imoen goes into the farmhouse. I turn my gaze inward.

Posted Image

Imoen comes out with a few extra gold, a pearl necklace, and a longsword.

Gameplay note: Ok guys, decision time. Should we 1. Deviate from the pre-planned adventure to explore the Fields of the Dead and/or Ulgoth's Beard or should we 2. Head south like we planned and clear out the road between Beregost and Nashkel? You decide! But I'll give you a hint. One of those choices involves circles of Skull Traps, and the other one doesn't.

#112 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:59 AM

The thread voted for the sensible option of clearing out the road between Beregost and Nashkel.

#113 Leokosta

Leokosta
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:06 AM

Changing sex ... lol. I wonder which romantic path u will take when it happens to you. Gavin, Tiax, Jan ?
On a gameplay note, would u consider show us the AI scripts you use on each NPC ?
Tx, keep up the good work

#114 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:26 PM

Haha, is Tiax a real romantic path? That would be hilarious. And sure, I can talk about the AI scripts I use for each NPC. I will have to get caught up with the somethingawful.com thread first though because it's hard to remember so far back in the playthrough what scripts I was using.

I also wonder if there are other scripts I could be using. There are some standard ones installed, but I'd like to explore that more.

Edited by Usurper, 28 December 2011 - 05:27 PM.

#115 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:41 AM

27 more updates to go. I don't want to spam the thread but I do want to get caught up. Thanks for the tip on large swords :).

Do spam the thread! That's why it's here :woot: the faster you (we) get in phase with the timeline the better.

Edited by Dakk, 29 December 2011 - 06:43 AM.

#116 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:18 AM

Hey, really enjoying your LP. Never really seen the point of them before, but you're really bringing it to life . Have you considered proposing a vote to turn off the flirt function of the romances? I tried to get caught up yesterday over on the Something Awful forums (I must have spent all day, on and off, trying to catch up, lol. It was a welcome break from studying), and everyone was getting really annoyed with the flirting - you included, probably. I just kept thinking to myself, why has no one suggested telling Shar-Teel to stop flirting?!

#117 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:36 PM

It was getting to that point... probably the reason why Shar-teel took such a nosedive in popularity. If another character's flirting gets too annoying I'll probably put up turning it off to a vote. To be completely honest I wasn't turning it off because Shar-Teel was bothering me personally and I wanted to pass that on to the audience so they could share in my pain.

Do spam the thread! That's why it's here :woot: the faster you (we) get in phase with the timeline the better.

Well ok then!

Edited by Usurper, 29 December 2011 - 10:40 PM.

#118 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:19 AM

Posted Image

7 Kythorn, 1369

The zombies are dead, and our work here is done. My inner dialogue says that we should continue on our original plan, to free the roads from bandit tyrrany. So we set out and make ready to take the long, lonely, 32 hour journey to just south of Beregost.

Posted Image

However, 10 hours into our trip, we are attacked by a pack of wild dogs!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Just to be on the safe side, I cast Armor while Ajantis casts Protection from Evil. Imoen flashes Algernon's Cloak at one of the dogs, while Finch barks out (heh) a command at another. Tiax even summons his ghast near a third. Xzar begins the first M's of Magic Missile. None of us want to take any chances. And it is good that we react so violently to a few dogs, because a second later their bandit masters appear behind them from hiding!

Posted Image

A couple dogs go down, and despite the hail of arrows from the bandits, nobody seems hurt yet. The dog Imoen tried to charm just attacks Tiax, so Imoen tries working her charms on a bandit instead, and that works out much better. He looks like he would do anything for her. With a word, she makes him attack his ally.

Posted Image

More dogs fall, and the only injury is Xzar. No real harm done. Feeling the moment, I advance on one bandit as Ajantis advances on another. Imoen walks towards a third but I don't think its for fighting. She just goes right up to him.

Posted Image

As Ajantis smites his bandit into a shower of bloody chunks, my bandit runs from me. Imoen and her two new bodyguards turn to help me out with an arrow shower.

Posted Image

They are quite effective.

Gameplay note: Imoen charmed one of these guys with Algernon's Cloak but the other she used regular old Charm Person.

Posted Image

Then, despite some light protests from Imoen, I decide to introduce her two new bandit friends to Tiax's ghast. They weren't very good conversationalists anyways. The bandits don't even survive one hit from the ghast. I almost feel sorry for them. I look around, assessing our party. Nobody dead, everybody fine. I give a thumbs up to each one. We are awesome! Ajantis and Xzar loot all the corpses, and we gather back together to resume our journey. That's when the second bandit ambush hits.

Gameplay note: Ok, this is the first time I've ever seen this. Three more bandits just spawned into the map for no reason. That's... new. More scalps for us!

Posted Image

Xzar runs away from them screaming, while the rest of us attack. But he just runs into another ambush showing up on the other side of the road, and dies.

Posted Image

I yell out CHARGE!!! and each one of us charges a different bandit. They don't like engaging in melee, so I figure we have the upper hand this way. That's when Tiax falls.

Posted Image

My cat kills one, Ajantis kills another, Tiax's ghast kills a third, and I kill a fourth bandit all at once. Imoen charms still another. But somehow there are still four left. We switch targets and keep on charging.

Posted Image

A few seconds later there are two more down, by Ajantis and me. Only the left side of the road remains enemy-strewn, so we rush over there to support my cat and Tiax's ghast. In another moment it is all over again - the ghast has chunked the rest.

Posted Image

Worried about a third ambush, I bring everybody to the northeast to assess the situation. Then I see a bandit arrow kill Imoen's latest bandit buddy, and realize that this is a very, very dangerous place to be.

Posted Image

The pull of the money strewn about on the corpses of all the banits here, however, makes me stay. And the hatred of bandits as well. Who are they to keep piling up on us wave after wave, anyway? I shoot the last bandit myself. He falls. I order Haiass, my cat, Ajantis, and the ghast to approach the road again, so that Ajantis cand loot as many scalps as possible, and of course recover our comrades' equipment. Then, due to our downed comrades, we take a detour to the Song of the Morning Temple in Beregost. Hopefully the looted equipment will bring us enough cash to resurrect them.

Posted Image

Turns out with everything that we had looted and the money we had received from our successful quest, we are able to raise Tiax for 200 good, Xzar for 100 gold, and still have a meager 244 gold left over.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I realize that I didn't manage to pick up Tiax's equipment, so we stop by the Jovial Juggler and pick up a sling and some bullets for 19 gold. It should be enough to keep him competitive. While we are there, the paladin that has been resting there, Bjornin, strikes up a conversation with Ajantis.

Posted Image

Posted Image Not yet, my friend, but I am sure Syvishtar will lead us there soon.

That reminds me, I should try to hunt down those half-ogres. We then continue on the road south out of town, vigilantly watching for potential bandits.

Posted Image

Just as we step out of town, Xzar decides to have a little fun.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Eh, what? I see nothing.

Posted Image There! In that gorse bush!

Posted Image Your mockery is repellent, as is all else about you. You see clearly enough that I am a paladin, but feign to believe that a sparrow is a dragon.

Posted Image Ah, your pardon, sirrah; curse these wandering senses of mine. I perceive now that I was twice mistaken.

Posted Image Twice?!

Posted Image Indeed. For an instant, I had truly believed yon twitting avian to be a paladin.

We had come this way once before, but only followed the road. Now, we plan to patrol both east and west of the road, hopefully routing out all bandit activity and making the place safe again.

Posted Image

I cast Armor and we head out, patrolling in a group along the east side of the road. We patrol the entire length and find... nothing. The only thing that happens is a little spat between Tiax and Ajantis.

Posted Image Ya lil' monkey-spanker.

Posted Image Evil must be purged wherever it is found, even among companions.

Venturing west, however, brings us under attack from a Cave bear.

Posted Image

It comes after Finch first, then me. But the party takes it out without problem. We continue our patrol, until we find another cave bear. After defeating it, Tiax cackles madly with glee.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I guess world domination is that much closer now? Whatever. We keep going. A few minutes later, we find something much more bandit-like. A troop of hobgoblins! Before anyone can blink, Finch Commands one of them to sleep. Then the fight begins.

Posted Image

I was prepared for a pitched battle, but the hobgoblins have the decency to die quickly and without bothering anyone before they go. I feel... powerful. Competent, even. I even kill one of them myself! These nameless hobgoblins are nothing like those ones in the Red Canyons that killed my girlfriend.

Posted Image

Looting them yields some gems, bastard swords, short bows, a studded leather armor that I give to Tiax to replace the one we lost, and some magical boots.

Posted Image

Finch's glasses make the boots give up their true nature easily.

Posted Image

Imoen immediately appropriates them with a pout and a "Pleeeeease?" No one can object.

A few minutes later we are attacked by not one, but two cave bears!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Those boots are going to be the death of Finch. She always shows up first and always gets the attention of the monsters. Tiax summons a ghast to help her while Finch runs around frantically trying to shake the bears off of her scent.

Posted Image

When she gets far enough away, Finch turns and tries to Command one of the Cave bears, but has no luck. The ghast does manage to take one of them out though, and Finch turns back to running.

Posted Image

Finally, Haiass manages to rip the bear's throat out.

Posted Image

Xzar has a look of shock on his face, as if he just realized something he never knew before.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Continuing to patrol these woods, we eventually come upon a submerged house. Not something you see every day.

Posted Image

#119 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:20 AM

Can't really see anything to do around there, though, so we just end up moving on... and into a pack of worgs.

Posted Image

They all seem to attack Haiass first, as if there was some rivalry. But we all have his back, and they soon fall. We continue on. Near the end of our patrol, a strange shape appears in the trees and approaches Finch. Thankfully, for once, it is not hostile.

Posted Image

Posted Image I sure could use another talented hunter in the party. What do you say?

Posted Image This ain't no team sport, not for me at least. Still, I could use the company for awhile. Okay.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Bub is a part of the Dark Side of the Sword Coast mod, a really old-school mod for Baldur's Gate. He is a single-class fighter. Once again, very boring. But level 3, with 30 hit points. We're going to have to decide on a kit for him. He comes with a long sword, a longbow, some arrows, and wearing splint mail. I temporarily switch him out with Tiax.

Just to the south of where Bub came out of the forest, we find a small cave.

Posted Image

Going in, we find it full of bats with a box in the middle. The box has some gold and five healing potions!

Posted Image

No ogres though, which is what I was expecting after Bub's intro. We go back outside the cave and keep tramping our way through the woods.

Posted Image This forest has a sense of evil about it.

He's not far wrong, because we soon stumble upon more hobgoblins.

Posted Image

They fall quickly and easily. Hobgoblins are becoming my favorite monsters ever!

Posted Image I know dragons with feet like rabbits! 'Tis true I swear!

I don't know what to make of Xzar most of the time. At least he doesn't charge into melee anymore. Now, heh... I do that... hehehehe.

We are almost done with the patrol of the area when a dark-skinned woman runs towards us from the woods.

Posted Image

Posted Image Calm down, we'll help you. Just tell us who you are.

Posted Image My name is Viconia, I... I'm not from around here, thank you so much for helping.

In a moment I realize who she is talking about when she says "they will kill me."

Posted Image

Posted Image Syvishtar, this drow is evil, and accused of murder. Protecting her means opposing the law!

Posted Image They lie, I've done nothing wrong.

Posted Image What do you intend to do once you have her?

Posted Image Kill her, of course.

Fuck the Monk, always trying to keep people down. I can't abide this blind adherence to draconian laws.

Posted Image We can't allow that, you'll have to go through us to get her.

Posted Image A stupid decision! For harboring a murderer I sentence all of you to death!

Posted Image *You* sentence us to death? Are you authorized to do this? Let us talk, there is no need for bloodshed.

Posted Image I'm authorized to do this if I *say* I'm authorized to do this! Now prepare to fight!

Viconia begins the fight strong - she casts Command on the hyper-aggressive merc.

Posted Image

The mercenary wakes up when we attack him, however, and goes after my wolf first. I maneuver myself to him and try to cast an Azragan's at him. But the magic swirls around me, lights envelop me, and fire shoots out in an arc in front of me, hitting both the merc and Viconia.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: I don't even know what spell that was supposed to be. Burning Hands doesn't look that grandiose.

My cat, thankfully, doesn't get singed. In fact, my cat gets the deathblow.

Posted Image

I'm not sure how I feel about the dead Flaming Fist mercenary at my feet. I talk to Viconia.

Posted Image

Posted Image We need the extra help, so of course we'll take you in.

Posted Image I won't disappoint you, I promise.

Posted Image Fine words, drow, but be careful not to forget them. I will watch your steps carefully.

Posted Image I bet you will, jaluk!

Gameplay note: Viconia! My first playthrough of BG2 I was an elf Sorcerer and I romanced Viconia. She's got issues, but that's why we love her, right? Although I must emphasize that she does not have a romance available for Baldur's Gate. We're just going to have to be in the friend zone for a couple of months (years?) until an evil soulless former elf does horrible experiments upon our person for months in a dank underground dungeon of his own special design. Only then will we have built up enough angst for her to get interested. She is a Nightcloak of Shar, and she is level 3, which gives her access to level 2 spells! 12 of them! Which I will have to go over in the next update.

Posted Image

Posted Image

So, we have two things to vote on now.

1. Do we keep Viconia? She is the highest-level cleric we have yet encountered. Do we,

A: Replace Tiax with Viconia.
B: Replace Finch with Viconia.
C: Drop Viconia off at the Jovial Juggler.

2. What do we do (if anything) with Bub Snickt?
He's the most powerful fighter we have yet encountered, at level 3 with 30 hit points. We can also change his class, since a normal fighter is extremely boring. He's got an Australian accent, shaggy hair, a ranged bent, and an outdoorsy style to him. Do we:

A: Drop him off at the Jovial Juggler and forget about him.
B: Turn him into a Wizard Slayer. He can smell Ogre Magi on the wind, not just normal ogres.
C: Turn him into a Mage Hunter, because being a wizard slayer just isn't cool enough.
D: Turn him into a Berserker. He's always been in touch with a bit o' tha animal side, mate.
E: Turn him into a Barbarian. He hails from the frozen southlands.
F: Keep him a pure fighter and unleash him upon an unsuspecting world.

Let me know your votes!

#120 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:23 AM

The thread voted to turn him into a berserker that dual-wielded daggers, in order to try to get him as close to Wolverine as possible.