• Please log in to reply
1504 replies to this topic

#121 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:24 AM

Posted Image

9 Kythorn, 1369

I am standing around, wondering what to do with Bub's offer, when it starts raining. And after that, we are attacked by a pack of spiders. So we run back to town in order to collect our thoughts.

Eventually I decide that Xzar and Tiax could use some rest, and I am interested in finding out what Viconia and Bub can do, so we go back to the woods and look for him. We run into the spiders again.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Everybody piles on in a grand melee. Viconia wades in with the rest of us. She doesn't seem to have any ranged weapons, which is understandable. If she did she would have probably been able to take the merc alone. The spiders delight in killing my wolf, for some reason, and he falls before we can kill them all.

Posted Image

Finch seems to get quite a lot out of this experience, so I give my wolf bone to her and tell her to take care of it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Wow, go Finch with the 9 hit points this level! That brings her to 29 hit points, almost the equal of Bub. Now she is the same level as Viconia, although behind her by 629 xp. But Viconia only has 17 hp, because she has a CON score of 8, half of Finch's. Viconia also has 18 WIS, while Finch only has 16. It's a close comparison between the two girls.

They both have access to level 2 priest spells now, so let's go over them. They do not have the same spells, however, so lets do the ones common to both of them first.

Posted Image

It's a heal + bless + temporary hit points caveat. It's just as many hit points as the level 1 Cure Light Wounds, but better! An excellent spell to have around and you can cast it at the beginning of combat, ahead of the expected damage. A great improvement to the healing capabilities of a party.

Posted Image

AoE Bless + Curse all rolled into one. Not quite as good as Protection from Evil 10' radius, but that's why it's level 2 and that spell is level 3. Enemy priests cast this spell all the time.

Posted Image

If you don't have a thief, use this. It works exactly the same way, but at a much smaller duration than a thief, which I think is about 80 years?

Posted Image

A very powerful spell that remains useful for the entire game. Clerics are known for this. Bassilus cast this on Shar-Teel before blasting her with a Glyph of Warding. It works on anyone within 5 feet of the target, so you can get a pretty decent group of humanoids frozen. If they are in a choke point, even better. When I was doing my solo run of the Big Picture mod as a cleric back in the day, I used it all the time.

Posted Image

For some reason I don't ever remember using this spell. But maybe I should. It's a no-save 10% resistance lower and +2 bonus giver. It's a boss-killing spell. I'll have to keep it in mind next time I go up against a big bad.

Posted Image

Anti-ankheg protection! Half damage for all those types of creatures. Single-target though, sadly.

Posted Image

Anti-mage protection! At low levels like this, wizards usually damage with fire or cold, so slap this on a guy and he's 50% immune to them. Again only single-target.

Posted Image

This is the other great priest spell that continues to be useful for the entire game, and the first step in the great theme of Baldur's Gate - counter-magic and counter-counter-magic. You cast Silence, they cast Vocalize. You cast Haste, they cast Slow. You cast Protection from Magic Energy, they cast Khelben's Warding Whip. You cast Spell Shield, they cast Pierce Magic. You cast Shield of the Archons, they cast Secret Word. You cast Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, they cast Ruby Ray of Reversal, and it doesn't work so they wasted a spell, which means you gain the upper hand, and after two more rounds they're a pile of ash. I personally think its amazing and awesome. But some people, mainly fighter-playing types, don't have the patience for it, because it requires reading spell descriptions.

Posted Image

Anti-poison. Becomes more important when we go up against guys with poisoned arrows, or thieves in Amn. Oh, also when we enter the Cloakwood and get poisoned every fight by spiders. Goddamn spiders.

Posted Image

Basically, Thor's hammer. Lasts long enough for 1 or 2 combats per map, I suppose. Seems like it becomes more useful at higher levels when the priest's level 2 spell slots don't have to be used for healing and the enchant on the weapon grows.

Now, Finch has one divine spell that Viconia doesn't, which is Draw Upon Holy/Divine Might:

Posted Image

Imagining the little gnome librarian hulking out and busting some ass is hilarious to me.

Viconia has two spells that Finch doesn't, which are Beast Claw and Flame Blade. That means Viconia has one more level 2 spell than Finch. Does that make Shar an objectively better deity than Deneir?

Posted Image

Turn your arms into claws! Gain exceptional strength and attack twice per round! Rip them a new one with Beast Claw! Go Shar!

Posted Image

A flaming scimitar of fire. Surprisingly it doesn't have any bonuses against the undead. What it does have, though, is troll-killing capabilities. In an un-modded game that is very important. In this game, though, when we are probably going to have magical weapons coming out of our bums, maybe not so important. However, there are several times when we will have our equipment stripped away from us. Spells like these will become more important then.

While we stand around discussing Finch's and Viconia's spells, Viconia grows increasingly distressed.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Among the drow, we have a saying... ssussun pholor dos: brightness upon you. And it's considered a powerful curse. Syvishtar, I've told you before that I would go where you wish, so long as you keep me from this accursed sun. I... Truly, I cannot bear its gaze.

Posted Image Sorry, Viconia. We can't always travel by night, but I can try to be a bit more accommodating.

Posted Image I should hope so. If not I will surely wilt under the burning oppression of your... daylight.

I hope the clouds and the rain make her a little more comfortable. We search through the forest and in short order find where we left Bub. I send Xzar back to the Jovial Juggler, and we take Bub with us. On the way, Finch strikes up a conversation with Ajantis.

Gameplay note: Even though Finch doesn't really have a musical theme, I've assigned The Lady's House to her because I really like it, and I imagine Temples of Deneir would prefer this instead of the Helm's Temple theme.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Lord Ilvastarr? Many a moon has passed since I became a squire and anyone called me that. What is your cause?

Posted Image Cause of habit, it must be. Your family is renowned in the area where I grew up, and I would have been sheltered, indeed, to have never heard talk of you.

Posted Image What an unexpected coincidence! So you hail from Waterdeep as I?

Posted Image No, not as you. You come from a noble and famed lineage. My family is your typical gnomish brood.

Posted Image Meaning the children were ubiquitous, the coffers empty, and the house much too small.

Posted Image Ah. How many children make up a gnomish brood, nowadays?

Posted Image Well... I was the ninth of seventeen.

Posted Image Seventeen?! Helm protect them!

Posted Image Crowded among such a number, did you suffer the fate of the overlooked middle child?

Posted Image Why, yes! But it is not so difficult for me to be forgotten, and I make no complaints. Not everyone can remember things like I do. I recall people very well.

Posted Image As you have demonstrated admirably.

My mind eases and I feel a little smile coming over me. Two people, having a bit of a conversation about back home, without any angst or pain or loss. What a sight! Actually, Finch has a lot more books than the one she mentioned to Ajantis. It's not something that Imoen and Finch really talked about, but I figured it out recently. When Imoen ransacked the town of Beregost for a little extra wealth a few weeks ago, she also picked up every book she could find and gave them to Finch. Finch didn't ask questions, just eagerly stuffed them into her book bag. She now has quite a library in her bookbag:
    History of the Chosen of Mystra
    History of the Dragon Coast
    History of the Drow, The Dark Wars
    History of Durpar and Var the Golden
    History of Estagund
    History of the Fateful Coin
    History of Halruaa
    History of the Moonsea
    History of the North - The Crown Wars
    History of the North - The Elven Exodus
    History of the North - Recent History of the North
    History of Shadowdale - Khelben Kills Jyordhan
    History of Shadowdale - The Time of No Lords
    Last March of the Giants
I'll have to ask her to read them to us, perhaps at night when we camp. It's way too much to read all at once. Anyway, we get Bub Snikt and finish patrolling the area.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: I trained him in dual-wielding and daggers. We can get him tearing things up in no time!

We find no more monsters during the rest of our patrol, and we cheerfully declare the Trade Way North safe from banditry!

Posted Image

I decide that a stop by Thunderhammer Smithy is in order, to make sure Viconia and Bub have equipment they can use. We also have swords and bows to sell from the hobgoblins we slew. So we head back to Beregost and get there in about 15 minutes.

We give the plate mail from the Flaming Fist mercenary to Bub, and he gives his splint mail to Viconia, who was only wearing leather armor. She is too weak to wear plate mail herself, but she can barely lift and wear the splint mail. I also try to find someone who can use the Bracers of Defense that Xzar was wearing, but it doesn't seem to matter to anyone. I guess I could give them back to Xzar, next time I see him. Hope it doesn't bother him too much that they're gone. We buy a helmet and a couple of daggers for Bub, because a Masterwork Dagger is 750 gold! We also buy a sling and some bullets for Viconia, because clerics seem to like that sort of thing. She doesn't object. We also look over shields for her, but realize that she can't use anything bigger than the small shield she is using now - she doesn't have the strength for a medium shield. I gain a new appreciation for Finch's stalwart strength and Medium Shield +1.

After that, we stop by the Jovial Juggler to say hi to everyone and sleep the night and recover.

Posted Image
Posted Image

There is talking, and laughing, and teasing, and as the fire dies down I ask Finch to read us a story.

Posted Image

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#122 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:25 AM

After she is done, we all retire to our rooms to sleep through the night. As we do, Viconia approaches me.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Bel'la dos, ussta abbil. Here's to a fruitful companionship. May our enemies fall before our might!

Even though Shar-Teel is here under this very roof, we still aren't talking.

Posted Image Thank me? I've heard of ways the drow might repay debts.

Posted Image *She pauses for a moment, as if the suggestion has caught her off guard. A sign of disdain escapes her, but by the time her eyes meet Syvishtar's, her expression is taken over by wicked bemusement.*

Posted Image Of course. I had forgotten how the surfacers' minds are ever captivated by my kind. Very well, elf, you may have your repayment, if you so wish.

Gameplay note: Heh, I had forgotten about this. I guess when I said we'd be stuck in the friend zone for all of BG1, I meant after we tapped it once.

The next morning we leave the Inn as it is still dark, and travel down the road for 4 hours to the Trade Way South.

Posted Image

We have also been here before, but once again only traveled along the road. We have the northwest and southeast sections of the map to clear. I choose northwest first.

Posted Image

Our patrol is soon interrupted by some strange, red, yippy bastards.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Viconia casts Aid on Ajantis, Finch casts aid on Haiass, and then we all attack. I realize that I forgot to cast Armor when I get hit with an arrow. And is one of those guys casting a divine spell back there ?!

Posted Image

Yes, it turns out, as whoever it is casts a Bless and then Silence. It hits Finch! At least my Armor is finally on.

Posted Image

I decide I had better take him out. I reach for Azragan's, as usual. The magic and I work together perfectly. But the little bastard also Holds Bub!

Posted Image

Thankfully Haiass also jumps on him. My faithful wolf manages to take him out before he gets another spell off. We're down to just two yippy bastards, a fighter and an archer. The archer is plinking away at the Silenced Finch, but Viconia gives her Aid. Angry at the little bastard, I point my finger at him and yell "STOP!"

Posted Image

A strange sensation stirs within me, something I do not recognize. Power shoots from my finger and I feel a great sucking. I suddenly feel the same way as I do when Finch heals me, and the little red bastard seems weaker, more frail. What have I done? Ajantis and Haiass gib the little fighter bastard in front of them and turn to the ranged attacker, as he turns his arrows at me.

Posted Image

But Ajantis and Haiass take him out as Viconia heals me. All is well. All except for Bub, that is. He just stands there, mid-stride, not moving at all. It's kinda creepy. Almost as creepy as Finch moving her mouth but without any sound coming out. What were those yippy things? Oh. Ajantis says they're kobolds. We search the bodies and find nothing but their weapons. We awkwardly wait around until Bub starts moving again, then continue to patrol.

Finch finds a small trail down a cliffside. We are going to have to go down it single-file. She goes first, of course, as she always does. However, when she gets halfway down it she sees another group of kabulds.

Posted Image

I tell her to come back up. As she runs back, fleet-footed as her boots can make her, one of the kobelds casts a spell at her and SLOWS HER DOWN.

Posted Image

She finishes the last few meters to her place at normal speed, a look of shock on her face. These are no idiot hobgoblins we're dealing with!

Gameplay note: I think this is the first time we're really able to see the more sophisticated AI that comes with the mods. Monsters are able to more appropriately respond to your spells and tactics. If we would have tried to go to the Nashkel mines at level 1 we would have gotten slaughtered. We may still...

We hold at the top of the cliff, waiting for them to come up the path. They do, and we strike.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Then they take a little detour around a rock face and we lose sight of most of them. They're trying to flank us!

Posted Image

I order Haiass after the magic-user and tell everyone else to stay where they are. We will not be separated by kibuld tactics. Then the magical one hits Viconia with a spell I've never seen before!

Posted Image

I can only stand there in shock as it hits her and... nothing. She laughs and throws another bullet. Ajantis goes to join Haiass in killing the spell-thrower. In a few seconds, he thankfully falls. Then the other two. Then the one behind the rock is killed by Bub. Finally, only their Captain is left, and we all close on him.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: I've been trying to capture informative screenshots in battle, especially when it comes to character battle cries. Notice that Viconia and Finch are both shouting something in this screenshot. Those are things they actually say in battle. It's pretty cool.

That's when the Kobold Captain snarls and fires an arrow straight at Ajantis' head. It enters his face through the nose and goes too deep. He falls immediately.

Posted Image

I am beyond shock. The armored, shield-bearing, indomitable Paladin of the Order of the Most Radiant Heart is dead? But... he was uninjured! How could that... that little shit one-shot him?! While I just stand there, Bub stabs his dagger into the Kobold Captain's back and it falls.

Posted Image

But it seems just a moment too late. We all look at each other, and to Ajantis' corpse. For a few moments we just stand there. Then, eventually, Bub goes over and cleans up the equipment. It's time to go back to the Song of the Morning Temple. Again.

Posted Image

At least the magic-throwing kebild had a Masterwork Short Sword on him. It sells for 125 gold all by itself.

Posted Image
Posted Image

When Ajantis lives again, heals up, and gets back into his armor, he approaches me.

Posted Image

Posted Image Ajantis, I don't like that myself, but it is only a temporary thing. It will change soon.

Posted Image I am relieved to hear this. Let us move on and make your words come true by our actions!

Gameplay note: Acutally Ajantis has been saying this a lot, over and over, but I have not been reporting it because it's repetitive. Since according to the new rules, though, we're about to kick him out, I show it again to say THANK GOD he's out, because the dude has been driving me crazy with constant interruptions. Also, our reputation actually dropped by 2 when we let Viconia into the group.

Posted Image

And since we remain pretty much broke due to all the dying, there's going to be no real way to shut Ajantis up legitimately any time soon. I keep telling him it's temporary but he just keeps bugging me!

After yet another confrontation about our path of non-righteousness, I have an idea. I suggest to Ajantis that he goes on a little break. He's been working hard, needs his rest. Recuperation. Tell him to relax a while at the Jovial Juggler. Talk to Bjornin. Play some dice. Have a drink. I assure him yet again that our path will be more righteous in the future. I also tell him that we'll replace him with Gavin, the Morninglord of Lathander, and Gavin will probably bug us just as much as he does about being good. I also ask him to hand over his Ring of Protection, plate mail, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, and all his potions. Some day we'll be able to afford plate for everyone, I explain, but today is not that day, what with resurrection fees and all. He nods. But when I go to shake his hand, this is what he says.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Uh oh... I think we just permanently lost him. At least he didn't take any equipment with him. Man, killing that child in Beregost has had far-reaching implications.

Ok, based on our last vote, the most popular guy who didn't get into the party was Gavin. Great, we'll just walk right outside and recruit him again.

Posted Image

Posted Image Yes. Good to have you back.

Posted Image

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#123 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:26 AM

He wastes no time picking up our old conversation.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image I was not so much led to it as I was pushed into it. Not long ago, my foster father, Gorion, was murdered. I am searching for his killers.

Posted Image I am sorry to hear that. Please accept my deepest condolences for your loss. Forgive me if I sound like I am prying, but I cannot help but wonder why anyone would wish such a man dead. Not that I have heard much about him at the temple, but what I have heard has been entirely favorable.

Posted Image Thanks for the sympathy, but I am not even sure that Gorion was their target. They might have been after me.

Posted Image That's horrible! What makes you say that?

Posted Image "Surrender your ward and nobody gets hurt" sounds pretty unambiguous to me.

Posted Image Yes, it is hard to take that any other way. I will help you, of course, but we will have to be exceptionally careful. Anyone powerful enough to take out a mage like Gorion is going to be a tough opponent.

Posted Image

Posted Image I had a very boring life, I'm afraid. My studies were my life.

Posted Image I wouldn't call a life of study boring!

Posted Image It's very rewarding, reading. But anything that expands the mind is worthwhile. What subjects did you study?

Posted Image I enjoy reading histories. When they're well written, even the battles and power struggles of long ago seem alive.

Posted Image Yes, that is an interesting subject.

Posted Image Anything else?

Gameplay note: I'm taken back to the same hobby-selection dialog screen as before. Man, what else does Syvishtar do?

Posted Image My friends and I spent many happy evenings touring the taverns.

Posted Image Can that be called a hobby?

Posted Image It can if you do it as much as we did.

Posted Image I'm not sure that's healthy, but who am I to judge?

Posted Image Anything else?

Posted Image That about covers it.

Posted Image Thank you for telling me more about yourself!

The man's earnest enthusiasm is a little disconcerting. Weary, tired, and disheartened from Ajantis' judgmental attitude, we go back to the Jovial Juggler. With three clerics in the party we have a lot of spell selection to discuss. But first there's beer and song. And also, late into the night, another story from Finch.

Posted Image

#124 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:27 AM

Posted Image

10 Kythorn, 1369

Ok, here is the plan. Bub Snikt, Finch, and I are going to be the front-line tanks. Viconia, Gavin, and Imoen are going to hang back and shoot. In order to save time, Finch gives her sling and bullets to Gavin, who graciously accepts. I also give Gavin Ajantis' old plate mail, just to prevent anything bad from happening.

We have enough divine magic that we don't have to exclusively memorize healing spells, so we have some planning to do. Between Viconia and Finch we have 8 second-level spell slots. Including Gavin we have 13 first-level spell slots. Finch is going to be tanking, so in her second-level slots she gets two Draw Upon Holy Mights and three Aids. Viconia also prepares three Aids. For first-level spells, Gavin goes full heals. Viconia gets one Bless, one Curse, and two heals. Finch goes tank with three Armors of Faith and three Protections from Evil. Casting one buff before each combat should give her the edge she needs to survive.

I also have a little talk with my wolf.

Posted Image

Posted Image Haiass, about your style of combat...

Posted Image

Posted Image I want you to attack all our enemies, giving priority to spellcasters.

Good boy! We can't let those cockbald shamans survive too long. Then, rested, prepared, and suited up for battle, we go back to the Trade Way South.

Posted Image

When we arrive, it is still dark, and we cautiously creep about the area. I don't want to split us up, though, so we scout together.

Posted Image

Suddenly we are attacked by a friggin' mountain lion.

Posted Image
Posted Image

He goes after Finch, but we drop him before he has a chance to do any damage. The mountain lion turns out to be the only hostile thing west of the road. We begin to work on the east side.

Posted Image

As we skirt around a small pond, we see a couple of bears standing in the road. They leave us alone, though, and we don't bother them either.

Posted Image

Our next encounter is with two mountain lions.

Posted Image

These both attack Finch, and without protection spells she gets seriously hurt fast. But quick as a flash she runs back to Gavin, and he heals her.

Posted Image

One falls, and the other one comes after me. I don't feel so good.

Posted Image

But I get healed, and Aided, and everything's fine. We move on. Above a cliff, in a small clearing, we find another small group of yippy bastards. Finch casts Protection from Evil on herself, Viconia snarls a curse at them, and I prepare to cast Burning Hands.

Posted Image
Posted Image

But then I am hit with an arrow and my Armor dissappears. I look down at the arrow and see that it has some magical effect upon me.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: The kobold captain hit me with an arrow of dispelling?!

I decide to retreat and let my companions handle things, when another arrow flies at me and hisses when it hits. I can very clearly see the magical acid eating into my chest.

Posted Image

Out of the corner of my eye I see Gavin running towards me, but before he gets there I point my finger at the Kobold Guard, just like before, and suck the life out of him. He dies and I feel better. But the acid is still there.

Posted Image

Viconia is in the middle of casting a spell and Finch is deep within the circle of kobolds, glowing and flailing around with her flail. Bub and Haiass are double-teaming another Kobold Guard. I'm on my own, so I reach for a healing potion. I drink it down, Gavin heals me, and I feel a little bit better. Viconia's Curse hits at the same time that the Shaman's Bless hits - a net zero effect.

Posted Image

I manage to get the last of the acid off of me, and the battle is looking to be in our favor. I search for the Kobold Captain. He will not long survive. But before I can get another spell off, everybody falls. The Captain falls to Finch, actually, who did surprisingly well charging into a crowd of enemies and killing them all.

Searching the bodies, we find mundane equipment, another Masterwork Short Sword, and one magical arrow on the Kobold Captain's corpse.

Posted Image

This must be what killed Ajantis.

Gameplay note: Yep, additional 2D6 piercing damage. That's definitely what killed Ajantis. He was hit for 10 and 11 in one round. But we didn't loot this arrow before because the mob used them all on us. Pretty cool how if you kill a monster sooner you get better loot.

We discuss it, and decide that we should focus fire on any Kobold Captains we see. They are dangerous enough to kill any one of us. Next thing that we find on our patrol is a nearly-naked old man.

Posted Image

My Candlekeep training at being nice to old men kicks in.

Posted Image My apologies at disturbing your peace. No doubt you are so isolated because you wish to remain alone.

Posted Image Hmm? Oh yes, that and my disturbing personal habits. As well, people don't mind advice when they're looking for it, but having someone around continually spouting proverbs and truisms really puts a damper on the picnic. It's worse than when the ants steal the cheese, if you know what I mean? Eh? EH? Wow, you're really hard to look at.

Posted Image Your insults are misplaced. I only wished to speak, and you could have simply said no. I will leave you.

Posted Image Wait... I'm sorry, but you have misconstrued my meaning. A bit blunt I am at times, but I shall speak plain if you wish. I meant that your aura is hard to look at. It is exceptionally volatile. You are at odds with yourself in a most literal fashion. I've not seen another such as you, though I get the feeling that your type does not live exceptionally long. I would predict a violent end for you, but I can see nothing of your future. It would seem that your coin is on edge. Enough chatter, I have wasted too much of your time, and mine. Leave me.

At odds with myself in a literal fashion? HOW DID HE KNOW ABOUT YOU GUYS!?! We back away and resume our patrol. My companions follow us, quietly. The way I prefer them to. Later we run into some wild dogs. And of course their bandit masters.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Everybody attacks at once. Seeing the three bandits in a tight group, I daringly run up to them and try to cast Burning Hands. However, the magic fully Heals our entire party instead.

Posted Image

Hey, that works for me. I really wonder why I never actually successfully cast Burning Hands though. We take care of the bandits without further ado. I feel especially good, since I take one out and my cat takes another out at the same time.

Bandits, hobgoblins, kobolds, all bothering the roads at the same time. This place is so unstable. How can anybody live like this?

Next up are some Mountain Lions stalking the road that attack Finch as she casts Armor of Faith.

Posted Image

They fall without problems too. We complete a circuit around a large cliff in the middle of the area and then move northeast, the last unexplored place. There are no further attacks, and after completely patrolling the area, we declare the Trade Way South free, free at last!

Posted Image

Nobody died this time. We're gettin' good at this! As we prepare to leave, though, Gavin asks me a hard question.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image I am indifferent toward religion.

Posted Image That's risky. Who will claim you in the afterlife? I, myself, felt drawn to Lathander from an early age. Maybe you just haven't found the right faith?

Posted Image Maybe, but I have no desire to look.

Posted Image You don't have to look. You will know it when you see it. But I have taken much of your time. I'll leave you be for a while.

Gavin is continents removed from Ajantis in the way he approaches his religion. I don't think I like followers of Helm, now that I think of it.

We have cleared out the road from Beregost to Nashkel, and the way is clear for trade, hopefully. We have accomplished almost all that we set out to do. There is just one more area I'd like to check out before we go back to the Jovial Juggler - Fisherman's Lake.

Posted Image

Even though its a 12 hour journey, I think we can patrol that area and everything'll be fine. So we set out, and arrive without incident.

#125 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:28 AM

The trip strikes Gavin with wonder.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image What?

Posted Image I was just thinking how the choices we make every day affect our lives. Go through the left door, fame and riches; go through the right, a nation falls.

Posted Image I've often thought about the caprice of fate myself.

Oh boy have I. The fate the Weave gives to me occupies my thoughts almost continuously!

Posted Image Fate has nothing to do with it, or not much, anyway. We're all ruled by our own decisions.

Posted Image Every decision we make has consequences. They don't even have to be big decisions. That day when I met you, I hadn't planned on any of this, that's certain. I'd just gone outside to look at the grounds and think. When you approached me, the only thing I was thinking was that you were the leader of an adventuring party, and I needed money. Joining with you was a way to do some good in the world and earn some gold. But look where things have gone since!

Posted Image One small decision, going out to stand in front of the temple, and then another, bigger one, taking up with a group of adventurers, and my life is changed.

Posted Image Has it changed for the better or for the worse?

Posted Image It's just different.

Posted Image But that isn't the point.

Posted Image Your choices affect your life, too, and the lives of your companions. They might even affect the lives of far more people than that. Do you ever think about the consequences of your decisions?

I think back to what just happened with Ajantis, and get defensive.

Posted Image Are you finding fault with me?

Posted Image It wouldn't be my place to do so.

Huh.

Posted Image I'm not trying to find fault with you, and I certainly don't mean to hound you about this. But it is something to think about.

I try to think of something witty or perhaps cutting to say back, but can't. I'm totally overwhelmed just with the day-to-day randomness of my life and the magic, what time can I spare thinking of the long-term consequences of anything that I do? I frown and direct people to make camp. It has been a long journey and we are low on magic.

Next morning we awake before dawn and begin standard anti-bandit patrol pattern alpha - wandering aimlessly about the place. It isn't 10 minutes before we are set upon by gnolls!

Posted Image

Finch casts Protection from Evil, and we mow them down. Nobody even gets any injuries. That was north of the lake. South of the lake, however, things are different.

Posted Image

Posted Image You're naught but a bully, lad, and if you've been preying on honest merchants, you deserve the beating I hope you're about to get!

Posted Image You say that now, but if you don't hand over your money right quick, you'll see there's power behind that promise!

Posted Image What is it you want with us, and who are you?

Posted Image My name is Teyngan, this is my girl Jemby. The ugly one is Zekar. What we want is your money. Hand over all your cash, and you'll be unharmed. Before you do anything rash, think it over awhile. I'm sure your life is worth more than the little gold you might possess.

Posted Image It is, but you filth will not have either.

Posted Image Greedy bandits. You infest our roads with your stink. Draw steel!

Posted Image Stupid, STUPID! Now you die!

Finch casts Protection from Evil. Gavin calls his deity for a Boon. Imoen doubles herself with a Reflected Image. Viconia begins to pray for a Blessing. Bub charges straight at them. And I go for an Azragan's at the caster. I feel like this will be a tough fight.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Things start looking scary, and a lot of people near Jemby start walking slow.

Posted Image

The mage throws up a Mirror Image, one of the first I've seen outside of Candlekeep. That means she knows other level 2 spells, which makes her extremely dangerous. I direct all the ranged attackers to fight against her. I also get my cat and my wolf on her. Thankfully she drops a second later. Bub goes into a berserker rage fighting against the warrior, and I run up to try to Blind him. But instead I think I just make him stronger. He must be one of the Nietzschean fighters.

Posted Image

My wolf and cat come to help with the fighter, but the ranged hobgolin is still out there, so I tell them to go after him instead. I don't want some super-awesome arrows killing anyone.

Posted Image

Teyngan tries to kill me, so everybody rushes to my defense. It's touching, really. I retreat because I'm out of spells... except for one. I suck the life out of Zekar, the ranged hobgoblin, as Teyngan beats down Finch. Flail on flail violence. Horrible.

Posted Image

I realize that maybe attracting the attention of an archer was not a good idea, and turn to run away from Zekar. Gavin and Viconia heal Finch, and she's fine. Then I see something wonderful.

Posted Image

My cat has managed to take out Zekar herself, without any help from anyone. That just leaves the fighter, so we surround him and start pounding. But even though he is Slowed, no one seems able to penetrate his defenses until Imoen casts some Magic Missiles at him. Then he falls.

Posted Image

I imagine this could have gone very differently. I am relieved to see we are all still alive.

While we are looting the bodies, Viconia seems troubled.

Posted Image

Posted Image While she has her functions, I'm not of the mind that they are truly worth the trouble of her. Then again, I acknowledge that I am drow, and think differently from you. What is the reasoning, Syvishtar? Why do you take the girl along?

Posted Image She's like a sister to me, and there's a question there that goes beyond any concerns of how useful or annoying she is.

Posted Image Sister, you say? Devotion? You'll have to understand when I tell you that surface ways do seem utterly foolish.

Posted Image In my home, my dalninilen - my sisters, as you say - certainly bore no devotion to me, nor I to them. We were rivals at best, and bitter enemies at worst.

Posted Image That was the Underdark. Things are different here.

Posted Image Surface notions are so very peculiar. I am a drow... perhaps I am not meant to understand them.

The party of bandits that we just killed all had magical items on them. The mage, for instance, is wearing this:

Posted Image

Score! Finally I have some protection from something. Anything. She also has some scrolls of magic on her.

Posted Image

Not as damaging as Magic Missile, not as random as Azragan's Channelling - more like a compromise between the two. I think I like this spell. There is also:

Posted Image

Very useful to have around. Finally, the third spell is Larloch's Minor Drain, which I already know and don't care to learn again. I stick it in my scroll case.

The other magical items are a +1 sling, a Masterwork Short Sword, a Masterwork Flail, and some magical bullets.

Posted Image

We give those to Gavin, and he is delighted. We also give him the sling, to make sure these precious nuggets of destruction are delivered as accurately as possible.

Back on patrol, we encounter a talking hobgoblin.

Posted Image

Posted Image You got to be kidding?! You're one hobgoblin; why should we do anything but kill you?

Posted Image I'm a member of the Chill, the mercenary band. If you want all of my friends breathing down your neck, then just keep on pissing me off.

Posted Image Well... right now, there's just one of you, so I think we'll take our chances.

Posted Image You'll regret your decision.

I am wary of a trap, or an ambush, so I pull everybody back out of sight and send Imoen in alone, hidden in the shadows. She walks up behind him, gets out her +2 short sword, and stabbs for all she is worth.

Posted Image

The hobgoblin died. Very anti-climatic. Had 28 gold on him though. As an aside, I've found it much better for everyone to keep Finch loaded down with what she calls too much equipment. She walks at the same pace as the rest of us then and can stay out of trouble that way.

#126 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:30 AM

We run into a few more gnoll patrols, but they are less than dangerous. We never get hit at all. We can't say the same, though, when we run into a group of Gnoll Captains, Elites, and Flinds.

Posted Image

But after Viconia curses them, they quickly fall. Cursing is more powerful than I thought at first.

Posted Image

We head north after this, and soon come upon a huge crowd of gnolls, more than we have ever seen before. An army! Then a green-hooded figure approaches us who looks somewhat familiar.

Posted Image

Posted Image Fear not, we will not stand aside while another is in peril.

Posted Image The fight is joined, and I welcome your aid. Tiresome beasts these gnolls are, and I'll be glad to be done with them!

Posted Image Agreed, to arms!

Posted Image I am a gentle man at heart, at least when I am not slaughtering the stupid. Thank you for aiding me, let us be done with this and mayhaps after that continue the road together for a little while. Then I must journey on to Icewind Dale where my friends wait.

We then begin to attack the gnoll army. Or, more accurately, Drizzt begins to puree gnoll bodies into a fine mist.

Posted Image

This guy totally doesn't need our help! In a few seconds they are all dead.

Posted Image

Posted Image The blasted raids are endless, as is my hatred for those behind them!

Posted Image Such fuel burns hot and quick, but what of when it is spent? Attacking with hate may suffice, but it is by no means the most fruitful road to travel. These raiders of yours fight like mercenaries, and as such it is doubtful their bodies will give you more than the most cursory hint at who their masters are. Cool your fire, tread subtly, and you may find yourself closer to your true quarry. Be wary though, for the greater the potential reward, the greater the danger in acquiring it.

Posted Image That is sage advice which I will heed. Know that I think well of you on your journey.

Posted Image Well met, friend. Luck be on your side.

Posted Image Perhaps I shall seek you out elsewhere along the Sword Coast.

Drizzt. That name sounds familiar somehow. Is he famous? I'm not sure. Anyways, we resume our patrol and find some dogs... surprsingly, without any masters.

Posted Image

They die in short order. But a few minutes later we find more, which we kill while a bear passively watches us from behind.

Posted Image

The bear never joins the fight, and we put the wild dogs down without incident. On the north side of the lake, we find a house, and near it some more elite gnolls.

Posted Image

In the ensuing melee I am seriously hurt.

Posted Image

But by retreating back to Gavin and Viconia, and drinking a healing potion while they both heal me at the same time, I'm back to full in 10 seconds and ready to whack some more heads with my Serpent Shaft.

Posted Image

Unfortunately they get me again, so I have to retreat once again.

Posted Image

In a few seconds they are all down, though, so I'm going to be okay. We should probably rest, though.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Please do.

Posted Image One of the goals of Lathander's clergy is to promote interracial harmony. I think this is a noble and worthwhile goal, but sometimes, I wonder if cooperation between all peoples is possible. I wondered if you think this is possible, or even desirable.

Posted Image I think that it is both possible and desirable.

... if the Monk wouldn't keep everybody artifically separated with his 'ideals' and his 'credos.'

Posted Image That's a reassuring thought. If you wouldn't mind talking a little bit more about it, though, I'd also like to know why you feel as you do.

Posted Image I can't see why everyone does *not* want it. Seriously, though, all it would take is a little encouragement, and a strong enough deterrent for people who stir up trouble.

Posted Image That sounds strangely ominous. What do you mean by encouragement, and what do you mean by deterrent?

Posted Image I don't know, really. I like the idea, and think it would work, but I don't know if I'm qualified to think up an implementation strategy.

Posted Image Fair enough. That's always the stumbling block I hit. I want it, and I think it could work, but I have no idea how.

#127 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:30 AM

I laugh to myself. Maybe Tiax knows the answer!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Yes, I do. Why?

Posted Image There's something I need to tell you.

Posted Image This isn't about your past decisions, it's about mine.

Posted Image I've been concealing something from you.

Posted Image You're entitled to your secrets.

Posted Image Not this one, I'm not.

Posted Image I have a daughter. She's five years old, her name is Lanie, and she lives with her mother. I am adventuring to raise money for her education.

Posted Image Wouldn't you rather be home with her than on the road?

Posted Image That... er... isn't possible, I'm afraid.

Posted Image Her mother and I do not have an... easy relationship. Before I go any further with this, I need to know how much of my past you want to hear.

Posted Image You'd better tell me everything.

Posted Image Very well. I'll try to keep it as short as possible, but it is a long story.

Posted Image I met Lanie's mother when I was nineteen, and I'd only been a priest a short time. I was too naive to suspect that the woman was not as honest with me as I was with her, or to doubt that her interest in me was genuine.

Posted Image All of my trust in her, and most of my respect for her died the day she told me she was with child by me. I knew that the baby was not mine. It was too soon, if you know what I mean.

Posted Image In any case, I sincerely wanted to be a father, so I was willing to endure the lies in order to become one. And fatherhood has been rewarding. I could not be closer to Lanie if she were my own flesh and blood.

Posted Image I should have thought it through more carefully, though, because the lies did not stop once Lanie was born. Every time I went out of town on temple business, the woman would drop Lanie off at Borland's, my neighbor's, and go pursue her own interests, finding a rich man to give her the things a poor priest never could.

Posted Image After I found her out, I left the house. Now, I only return when Lanie's mother is gone, so that Lanie could be with her father, not some stranger.

Posted Image I am the only father Lanie has known. I have never regretted my decision to become a father for a moment, though I do wish I had made wiser choices about her mother.

Posted Image Lanie's education was the one matter about which both her mother and I agreed. Lanie is a bright girl, and is beginning to show signs of magical ability, even at her young age. It is important that she learn to control her abilities now. This is probably j.st the bitterness talking, but Lanie's mother was not willing to make the sacrifices involved in raising money to pay for Lanie's education. So here I am.

Gameplay note: And then I have to take a screenshot of this set of conversation choices, because the mod actually gives you the option of kicking Gavin out. I guess if your party has a strict "no suckas" rule you would not want him in here, but otherwise... geez. Gavin, buddy, you're on the road to fame, fortune, and all the religious hotties you could ever want. Do you know how much tail a level 10 character can pull in one night? Lighten up man!

Posted Image

Posted Image As long as you can focus on your responsibilities to the party, I am content.

Posted Image I thank you for letting me unburden myself. I am glad for the opportunity to be honest with you.

After such a heavy drama-bomb landing in the party, we have to lighten things up a bit. I go talk to some weird guy standing on a dock.

Posted Image

Posted Image Fish-wrangling? I take it you've never done this before?

Posted Image Nay, I have not. Used to be a miner, I did. I've sunk to this to feed my family. Not that it's a bad way to make a living, mind you. I just prefer having a good solid pick in my hands and sweating while I work. There's too much standing about waiting for the fish to bite. Ah well, we do what we must.

A little to the east, a small path leads to an island in the middle of the lake. A strange man is there, waiting for ... something? I hope something.

Posted Image

Posted Image You stay by the water in case the villagers come at you with torches, don't you.

Posted Image I fail to "catch" your meaning. Eh? "Catch?" Yeesh, quite the stoic bunch of prudes, aren't you? No matter, I shall put the brightest shine on the day that I can, regardless of how unapproachable the audience. Torlo appreciates my good humor, don't you Torlo? I say, DON'T YOU TORLO? A bit moody, that fellow.

There's not much left of this area to patrol, so we get to it. Just northeast of the lake we see, through a stand of dead trees, a half-ogre towering over them. It attacks us, and we brace for impact.

Posted Image

They die surprisingly quickly. It's actually a bit of a letdown. That's the last unexplored area, so with that, we can add the Fisherman's Lake to the list of places a baby could crawl without being disturbed. We're on a roll!

Posted Image

And with that, we head back to Beregost and the Jovial Juggler, confident in a mission well accomplished.

Posted Image

However, six hours later we are caught in box canyon by an ambush.

Posted Image

A half-ogre and gibberlings! We strike hard and fast. They all fall without incident. We arrive in Beregost the next day, and do a little selling. After unloading all the useless crap we were hauling around, we end up with 878 gold! And nobody dead means we can keep it all!

Then we stop by the Jovial Juggler to tell Bjornin about our half-ogre kill.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Bjornin, your shield... I cannot possibly take this from you. Don't you need it yourself?

Posted Image No protest. Take it. As soon as I'll have recovered I will get a new one.

Posted Image I give the shield with pleasure. It is yours now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Bjornin gave us a Medium Shield +1! Finch already has one but maybe one of our other companions would like it, if we use new companions. Also, Bjornin is our friend now, and we can chat with him whenever we come back to the Jovial Juggler.

Posted Image

Posted Image That would be nice, Bjornin. I would like to have you in my group.

Posted Image Thank you. Farewell.

Bjornin gave us a nice shield, so I want to give something in return. I try to give him some of the necklaces and rings that we have in abundance in our bag.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: I give him all the jewelry I can give, which is 3 more, but he's still Unfriendly Neutral when I get done. Too bad. But if we keep it up we can bribe him into our party!

Just to see if it's possible, we also stop by the High Hedge and attempt to bribe the golem and Thalantyr again. We have to kill a few more gnolls along the way and a wild surge makes me glow bright white. Also, surprisingly enough, we actually pass a lone skeleton on the way over there. We attack it for its skull.

Posted Image

Sadly, its skull is not usable. Where will we ever find one of those? Melicamp has been a chicken for how many weeks now?

While talking to Thalantyr, we are able to get him to accept two pieces of jewelry from us. He seems to be warming up to us. His flesh golem also seems to be warming up to us. He didn't frown when he saw us this time.

Posted Image

Gamplay note: We managed to raise Thalantyr's disposition from Unfriendly Neutral to Absolute Neutral. Bjornin and the flesh golem are both still Unfriendly Neutral, but presumably less than before. This is a relationship of 50/100 max. We will be able to get them to join our party when they get Close, which is 70 relationship points. A long way to go, but it looks like Bjornin and Thalantyr are different levels and therefore accept different types of jewelry, so we can work on both of them at the same time. If there's anyone else you want me to bribe on a regular basis, let me know.

Then we stop by the Song of the Morning Temple to get rid of the bandit scalps we collected during our patrols. Finch seems invigorated by the area.

Posted Image Ooh! Sometimes I spend so much time in a cloister, I forget how bright the outdoors can be!

When we get to the temple, I look around to see how I am received by everyone there.

Posted Image

I try to be friendly to Keldath, but I have nothing he wants. I guess the Sirine's would only want money, but I am not a rich man, and cannot spare to give them any. So we go back to the Jovial Juggler for some rest. We stumble into bed and sleep, too tired for stories or anything else. In the morning, I call another meeting. It is time to choose another party. It is time to go to Nashkel.

#128 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:31 AM

Gameplay note: Ok, it is time to re-arrange our party. Our new party will go south to Nashkel, where we will attend the Fair, rescue a few maidens, and clear out the area around the mines entrance. Then we will return to the Jovial Juggler to prepare for our first extended dungeon crawl. Each thread poster has 5 votes, which they can use to either vote FOR or AGAINST any character to be a party member. You can use all 5 votes for one character, or spread them out. You can vote both positively and negatively. If you vote too many times, only the first 5 votes are counted. If there is a tie, the character with the least amount of negative votes wins. If there's a tie in both positive and negative votes, I'll flip a coin. After voting is closed, the top 5 characters will join the party until they die. When they die, they will be retired to the Jovial Juggler, and the next-most-popular character will be added to the party. Repeat until we have accomplished our objectives and come back for another vote.

Here is the list of party members we can use. Note that all linked character portraits are accurate in level and xp. But please do not worry too much about level or xp during party selection. Do not shun a character because you think they are too weak. I enjoy a challenge and I will make any party work. Really. Test me if you don't believe. Also, I JUST REALIZED THAT KHALID AND JAHEIRA DO NOT HAVE TO COME AS A SET NOW. WE CAN CHOOSE JUST ONE OF THEM IF WE WANT. THANK THE BG1 NPC MOD TEAM.

Posted Image Posted Image Bub Snikt: A human berserker. Has not died for me at all so far. Met him in the woods of the Northern Coast Way. Told us to keep low and quiet, that he could smell ogres on the breeze. We offered to let him join the party, and he said okay. Sounds southern, as in southern hemisphere. Has not yet said a word.

Posted Image Posted Image Finch: A gnome Priest of Deneir. Has died for me 3 times so far. An extremely happy miniature librarian stereotype. Confirmed that unfortunately she does not come with a stand mount. Met briefly in Candlekeep gardens. Actually said "anyhoo" in conversation. Met her again at the Red Sheaf Inn in Beregost where she helped us kill Karlat, a dwarf mercenary trying to collect on the bounty on my head. Joined up with us after the fight. Apparently she and Imoen have some history from Candlekeep. She punched Imoen in the head after Imoen glued a book together that she was reading. At level 1 she was also the juggernaut of destruction against Bassilus in the Red Canyons, destroying his undead with dialogue and Dooming him to succumb to the party's assault. She tried her hand out at co-tanking with Shar-Teel and then Ajantis, resulting in several deaths for her. It turns out that she recognizes Ajantis from Waterdeep, where they both grew up, although in very different circles. She was the ninth of seventeen gnomish children in a house much too small. She and Ajantis had a nice conversation about home nevertheless.

Posted Image Posted Image Gavin: A human Morninglord of Lathander. Has not died for me at all so far. We met him outside of the Song of the Morning Temple in Beregost. Very devout, and good in a fight. Older guy, and likes to talk. Very scared of giant spiders. Hinted that he was trying to raise money for someone by adventuring, but didn't go into details. Stood guard in front of the Song of the Morning Temple waiting for us to pick him up again. After Ajantis was one-shot killed by a Kobold Captain in the Trade Way South which led to him deserting the party, we decided to pick up Gavin again and travel with him for a while longer. He wasted no time in asking me about my childhood and my hobbies, and seemed very earnestly thankful that I told him about that stuff. Weird. Since then, we've been talking about such subjects as the ultimate consequences of our actions and the possibilities of world peace. He seems like quite a thoughtful guy, if a little chatty. He eventually confessed to his secret sin, which is to being married to a complete bitch who tricked him into raising a daughter not his own and cheats on him with any rich guy whenever he's away. He seemed to think we would want him out of the party after his confession, but we said that as long as it didn't interfere with party business it doesn't matter. He seemed incredibly relieved.

Posted Image Posted Image Imoen: A human Charming Rogue. Has died for me 1 time so far. My childhood friend, partner in crime, and a general troublemaker. She reads letters that she's not supposed to. She also followed me out of Candlekeep and pledged to keep me company until I got tired of her. Nice girl, her. When we killed Tarnesh, she picked up his spellbook and has been studying it. She created a strange book-like artifact using it that makes her more dexterous once a day. If she keeps studying that spellbook she might eventually dual-class to mage. Meanwhile she is becoming a pretty good thief, ripping off the entire city of Beregost and leaving them weaponless, potionless, and penniless. Xzar seems to enjoy freaking her out. In a conversation with Gavin, I told him that one of my hobbies was getting drunk in the taverns with my friends. What I really meant was with Imoen. She's a great drinking buddy.

Posted Image Posted Image Jaheira: A half-elf fighter/Priest of Sylvanus. Has died for me 1 time so far. A very pushy woman. She says that she and Khalid often "look into" local concerns, and she wants us to all look into what's going down in Nashkel. Lets Khalid follow her around like a lost puppy. She disapproved of us working for Silke, and reprimanded me for doing that. After some time together we decided to trade her and Khalid for Finch and Shar-Teel. She took Khalid and left for the Friendly Arm Inn without so much as a goodbye. She would be willing to rejoin us without Khalid, though, if we asked.

Posted Image Posted Image Kagain: A dwarf Troll Slayer. Has not died for me at all so far. Was working as a mercenary in Beregost when we walked into his office. He wanted us to look for a lost caravan, but we had already found the remains of it, and showed him Silvershield's fibula. He quickly realized he was in a heap of trouble and offered to join up with us. Wonder if he will bring that trouble with him. Currently cooling his heels at the Jovial Juggler.

Posted Image Posted Image Khalid: A half-elf Duskblade. Has died for me 1 time so far. A nerdy fighter who has read up on ancient elven spellcasting techniques, and Jaheira's companion. Stutters. Gets scared a lot. Apparently a long-time friend of Gorion and interested in what's going on down in Nashkel. But mostly he's interested in everything that Jaheira is, because its just like that. Followed Jaheira to the Friendly Arm Inn when we replaced them with Finch and Shar-Teel. He would be willing to rejoin us without Jaheira, though, if we asked.

Posted Image Posted Image Kivan: An elf Archer. Has not died for me at all so far. We met outside of High Hedge. Said he had been hunting bandits for the past several months and that he would be happy to join with us if we were doing the same. When pressed, said that the bandit leader Tazok had killed someone dear to him. We took him in. He keeps going on and on about his loneliness and grief at losing his wife, Deheriana, and dragging down the group. We've started to tell him to shut up. He and Shar-Teel don't get along at all. When we killed Bassilus he considered the cleric to be like himself, caught up with the spirits of the dead. Hinted that he will commit suicide after killing Tazok. We decided to give him a break at the Jovial Juggler after killing Bassilus, picking up Xzar instead.

Posted Image Posted Image Rose: A half-elf White Dragon Disciple. Has not died for me at all so far. We first saw her being accosted in the Burning Wizard Inn, but the man said she took his money. Silke had taught us the danger of a pretty face not five minutes before, so we didn't immediately side with the chick. We tried to mediate the situation, offering the man 10 gold to drop it. He did, cursing us all. After he left Rose gave us 23 gold, which was what she considered to be our cut. Clever girl. Originally from Athkatla. Wanted to become an actress in the plays in the bridge district there, but her parents never let her. That's one of the reasons why she ran away. Likes singing, and clouds, and enjoying life. Dislikes wearing armor, as it chafes her. We dropped her off at the Jovial Juggler after killing Bassilus, wanting to give Tiax a chance in the party.

Posted Image Posted Image Shar-Teel: A human Sellsword. Has died for me 3 times so far. Met us on the road to Nashkel. Challenged our best warrior to a duel. Khalid stepped up to the plate and gave her a nice, solid cut. She capitulated and joined our party. We gave her a compliment once, and she started assuming we were together. That apparently translates as her berating us for staring at her too long, and telling us about her crooked, chauvinist pig of a father Angelo. Later, she told us of her role model and mentor, the powerful and cruel mercenary Ysena, who trained her to be what she is today. During that conversation she let it slip that she worked in the slave trade. Later, in a boot-related romantic encounter, I told her I had lost interest, and it seemed like she didn't care. But she still feels something deep down inside. When we found Ajantis we decided to send her back to the Jovial Juggler in Beregost for a while, to give us some time apart.

Posted Image Posted Image Tiax: A gnome Strifeleader of Cyric/thief. Has died for me 1 time so far. We found him at the city center of Beregost. He recruited us into his cause of world domination without so much as an interview and has been haranguing us about it ever since. We left him at the Jovial Juggler in Beregost for a while after he exhorted us to kill more puppies and defile more temples, because he was getting annoying. But after killing Bassilus, who was also a priest of Cyrix, we picked him up again because I was impressed with Bassilus' raw power. When Ajantis joined us, he disapproved of Tiax and asked me why Tiax was with us. We said Tiax entertained us, and Tiax became quite offended. He summons Ghasts, which are pretty useful in a fight. We sent him back to the Jovial Juggler when we came across Bub Snikt.

Posted Image Posted Image Viconia: A drow Nightcloak of Shar. Has not died for me at all so far. We met her in the Trade Way North area when she ran up to us and asked us for help. We said yes, not realizing what she meant. She was being chased by a Flaming Fist mercenary who accused her of murder and demanded her death. I said he had to go through us first, and he attacked us all. We had to kill him. That night, when we had finally gotten back to the Jovial Juggler, she came to thank me for resucing her. I got her to "thank" me in the particular drow way I had heard about.

Posted Image Posted Image Will Scarlet O'Hara: A human Troubadour. Has died for me 1 time so far. He greeted us as soon as we got to Beregost. Very helpful, nice guy. Offered to join us in our adventures, so we accepted. Wields a flail in melee and is proud of it. Has 6,000 gold worth of equipment waiting to be bought from different places around town. We left him at the Jovial Juggler despite his crazy-awesome bard song that gives everybody an extra attack per round because he doesn't talk.

Posted Image Posted Image Xzar: Human Necromancer. Has died for me 1 time so far. Crazy dude Imoen and I met on the road right after Gorion had died. Knew that we had been attacked, offered us a healing potion and then tried to guilt us into going to Nashkel with him and his half-pint thug Montaron. With nothing better to do, we joined up with them at first. We then left him at the Jovial Juggler because we favored some other companions. When we found a mithril ring in the Ankheg pit he appropriated it for himself, saying that he was going to enchant it with 'guidance.' From what, we do not know. Teases Imoen with talk of death, and Ajantis with talk of dragons. When we met Bub Snikt, we decided to give Xzar a break and travel with Bub for a while. He didn't seem to mind at all.

#129 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:36 AM

Here are the results of the voting in order of popularity:

Name      +  - Total
--------------------
Imoen     33-1   32
Gavin     21     21
Viconia   20     20
Finch     18     18
Rose      13     13
Jaheira    9      9
Shar-Teel 33-24   9
Kagain     6      6
Tiax       5      5
Kivan      4      4
Khalid     3      3
Xzar       0      0
Bub       11-12  -1
Will      -2     -2

So our new party was Imoen, Gavin, Viconia, Finch, and Rose. I'm kinda surprised that Shar-Teel got just as many positive votes as Imoen. It was the negative votes that got her down. Because she's so controversial I decided to do something unique with her. I added Shar-Teel to the party whenever we were in the Jovial Juggler. I'll wait long enough for her to trigger 1 or 2 lovetalks, and add them to the update. Then we'll form our actual party and hit the road. Whenever we get back to the Jovial Juggler to replace party members or rest as we're passing through, I'll temporarily add her to the party again to see if there are any new lovetalks. That way we can see her content without seeing her die the first time we attack something. And she's still the 7th-most-popular character, so if two people die she'll still take her spot in the main party like normal.

Edited by Usurper, 30 December 2011 - 02:43 AM.

#130 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:58 AM

Posted Image

14 Kythorn, 1369

After long debate into the night, I and my voices have come to a decision. What this party needs is more song. The strong, silent Bub Snikt will just have to go.

Posted Image

Posted Image We will come get you if there is anything worth hunting for.

But before we add Rose, who I will take out again, Gavin speaks up once more.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Is it supposed to be that... color?

Posted Image No. The ones I bought before I tried my hand at horitculture were kind of a light greenish-brown and rather crispy. Not these leathery black things. It is my secret shame. Lathander is supposed to favor those that foster plant growth, but I must have escaped his notice. I can do all the heavy garden work there is, right up to the point where the plants sprout. I have never had a way with plants. Brewing them, now, is a different story.

Posted Image It doesn't matter, I suppose. I can buy more once we're in town. But I would consider it a personal favor if you promised not to develop any scaly skin afflictions until then.

I'm not sure I can promise that to the poor guy - the magic moves in mysterious ways, after all. Thinking of mysterious ways, I look over to where Shar-Teel is gathered with the other part-time party members. We haven't really spoken in some time. I wonder how she is doing. I go over and try to insert myself into the conversation.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Very well. I do not know where I was born, or to whom. My own memory starts abruptly in my early years. It's as if somebody tore the first few pages from a book.

Posted Image I don't want to sit here like a stump for hours, while you go on about *books*!

Posted Image I was weaned in a library, she-bear. It's natural that I slip to books and chapters when I speak of my childhood.

Posted Image O, go on, otherwise you'd never finish.

Posted Image I grew up in Candlekeep, the place where they keep the tomes that you hate so much, under the wise tutelage of Gorion. He was a very powerful mage, and we had a quiet life until... until one fair day, I was summoned to my foster father. He was quite agitated when he commanded me to get ready for the long road ahead. Two men had attempted to murder me on that very day, and I knew my life was about to change forever.

Posted Image Finally, some actions! Keeps, books, phew! *spits on the ground*

Posted Image There is little left to tell. We left the Keep and fled from... someone. That 'someone' ambushed us and murdered Gorion... He did not get me, though, but he has sure been trying hard to correct that glitch in his plans. All I have been doing since leaving Candlekeep is trying to find the miscreant. And a couple of odd jobs in between.

Posted Image You've had a few hard years then, too.

Posted Image That does not make you less of a pox-ridden son of a pig, though.

Posted Image Move it, or do you expect me to fall on your chest lady-like and weep for you?

Posted Image *Your formidable mate, Shar-Teel, turns toward you, all strength and grace, if little of pleasantness.*

Posted Image *She looks at you, and her hand comes to rest on her sword hilt involuntarily.*

Ahh, yes, I definitely missed that girl. Gavin eventually startles me, after I must have been staring at her for several minutes.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Do what?

Posted Image Every day, our enemies seem more and more daunting, yet you carry on without pause. I'm envious of your courage.

Posted Image Oh, I'm afraid sometimes, I just try not to let it get to me.

Posted Image You're better at it than I am, then. But it is reassuring to know that you aren't always as calm and composed in the face of danger as you look.

Posted Image That's why I asked how you do it.

Posted Image Do you have any advice?

Posted Image When you work through theoretical problems often enough, they become reflex. That helps you with the real thing.

Posted Image That's something to think about. Thank you.

We continue to talk to our friends and acquaintances. Having a bit of a vacation, relaxing, trying to enjoy the atmopshere of the Jovial Juggler while we can. Shar-Teel starts kindof spoiling the mood, though.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image *happily humming* Huh? what racket?

Posted Image Agh! That! I can't stand it! If you don't stop it, I'll cut out your tongue.

Posted Image Ouch! Sensitive, aren't we? Oh well. I suppose I can stop for a bit... I was getting tired of humming, anyway.

Posted Image Finally! The agony ends!

Posted Image Yep. I'm done humming. Now it's time to start singing some good, ol' fashioned trail songs... Tida-li-ti-dali-ti-dali-da!

On that note, I decide that it's time to hit the road again.

Posted Image

Posted Image Sure thing! Sorry for having kept you waiting. Welcome back!

Now that we are ready to go, I gather my party around and detail our strategy. I tell them we are going to travel to Nashkel. But first, there is someone we have to kill...

Posted Image

But when we arrive outside the gates of Candlekeep, we are greeted not with fiery death, but a temple messenger.

Posted Image

Posted Image Yes, I am he. What can I do for you?

Posted Image Mornmaster Kelddath Ormlyr bids you return to the Song of the Morning Temple as soon as conveniently possible. He has a task he wishes you to perform.

Posted Image Thank you for delivering the message. Please tell Mornmaster Kelddath I shall go to the temple soon.

Posted Image Very well. Safe travels.

Posted Image Another messenger, Syvishtar! Might I beg your indulgence to return to the temple?

Posted Image Yes, Gavin. We will go with you.

Posted Image Once again, I thank you for being so understanding.

#131 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:59 AM

But before we do that, we have to kill a crazy wild mage. I cast Armor, while Finch casts Protection from Evil. Viconia blesses us all while Imoen disappears. Gavin asks for a Boon from Lathander.

Posted Image

They all know what lies ahead. We move quickly forward. At least, Finch moves quickly forward. We are relying on her boots to carry the day.

Posted Image
Posted Image

When she sees Rhialto, she just begins to run away. He doesn't cast any spells, just tries to hit her with his two daggers. How insane is it for a mage to dual-wield daggers, anyway? And where is his magic?

Posted Image

Finch casts Draw Upon Divine Might and keeps running. Like a good mage, Rhialto only begins to cast when he sees the crowd of us. I tell everyone to STRIKE!

Posted Image

Rhialto keeps casting, and we cannot interrupt him. He throws a spell directly at me, and I flinch involuntarily. The magic flinches with me, though, and nothing happens. I don't even know what that was supposed to be.

Posted Image

Gavin uses his Sunstone Bullets, Imoen casts her Magic Missiles, and Viconia begins calling for something called a... Chakram? Finch and I are tanking the bastard.

Posted Image

Finch takes a few slashes, and Rhialto seems fully intent upon killing her. That's when yell to Finch, "NOW!" She instigates the plan we had discussed earlier. Dropping her shield, she pulls out the Flame of the North. Blue flames spring up around her.

Posted Image

But then Rhialto's contingency spell fires, and Viconia's chakram bounces harmlessly off of him.

Posted Image

I move back to try to cast some magic at Rhialto, but he casts at me first. I feel the weave writhe and pulse and stream around me in a wild, unpredictable torrent.

Posted Image

But I am not afraid, as Rhialto probably expects me to be. I know the unpredictability of magic, and it is my strength and shield. Without fear, I cast Chromatic Orb at him.

Posted Image

Finch's blue fire shield extends to me. I am not quite sure what to make of this. Finch and Rhialto are going at it. She uses her last healing potion and she is still being beaten down. Both Viconia and Gavin move in to heal her at the same time, as I cast that drain thingy I do at a Badly Injured Rhialto. It is extremely close.

Posted Image

Viconia's Aid lands, and my Drain lands, and Finch's fire shield lands... but it is not enough. Finch falls in battle against this insufferable bastard of a mage. A second later and his Protection from Magic Weapons gives out, and Viconia's Chakram sinks into his head and kills him.

Posted Image

Just a second too late for Finch, though. I can't imagine what the Voices will say about this. Rose looks at the body of the librarian as if it is her first time seeing a corpse. Perhaps it is. We leave her alone, and she seems to gain something essential about this life we live from the experience.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

"You should have healed Finch earlier," Rose says. And she's right. I look at the corpse of Rhialto, and with the help of Finch's glasses I identify the two daggers I found.

Posted Image

I can't help but think Bub would love these. I also find an old ratty teddy bear, which nevertheless emanates magical energy.

Posted Image

It seems to work like a shield. I'm not quite sure I believe the glasses on this one. A six-year-old magician? There is also a mage robe, which I can identify later, because the real prize is Rhialto's Spellbook.

Posted Image

I look at it longingly, stroking the worn cover. I cannot help myself, and begin to read it right there, even though it has gotten dark, and even though Finch's corpse is cooling on the ground.

Posted Image

Posted Image Study the spellbook for a while, and see if you can learn something new.

Posted Image You spend some time, browsing through the book...

Posted Image

Posted Image Try to learn the spell "Rodent Form".

Posted Image You succeed in learning the spell.

Posted Image

I giggle a little bit. Then I giggle a little bit more. Oh my dear, dear spellbook, we are going to have SUCH a time together, you and I!

Looking up, I notice that everybody else is standing around, staring at me. I get up off the ground and straighten out my robes. We are going to the Song of the Morning Temple, I say. We are going to raise Finch and answer Gavin's summons. I pretend like nothing strange is going on, and walk through them towards the path ahead.

I only giggle once, maybe twice more on the way there.

Posted Image

When we arrive, Keldath Ormlyr wastes no time in telling us what's going on.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image In an area east of here, Mutamin, insane, by all accounts, has been attempting to tame basilisks. He is obviously either oblivious to the dangers of this undertaking, or his evil knows no limits. We attempted to contact him, to warn him of the risks involved, but the messenger has not returned and we can only assume the worst. Gavin, if you and your companions are willing, there would be a substantial reward for this service.

Posted Image I will speak with my companions. I will not commit to such a quest without Syvishtar's endorsement, but we might be able to help.

Posted Image Splendid. I shall eagerly await your report.

It is 400 gold to raise Finch.

Posted Image

Gavin and Viconia both help to heal her after she is resurrected. I feel a little guilty, but then I stroke the spellbook and don't anymore. Unable to help myself, I open it once again.

Posted Image

Posted Image Study the spellbook for a while, and see if you can learn something new.

Posted Image

Posted Image Try to learn the spell "Mynoc's Irresistible Appeal".

Posted Image

Oh yes, oh yes oh yes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Try to learn the spell "Random Spell I".

Posted Image

I have GOT to try this out ASAP. I am startled by someone clearing a throat, however, so I look up. Viconia is frowning at me, while the others fidget. Viconia says she is tired. Impatient, I immediately lead us out of the temple.

#132 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:59 AM

Gavin asks me my opinion on the way out.

Posted Image

Posted Image Why not? He does sound too dangerous to ignore. We shall set to it at once.

Posted Image Very well, but let's prepare ourselves properly. Maybe we should restock on supplies and get a good night's rest first.

Good idea. Gavin's always thinking about the sensible things. We go back to the Jovial Juggler. When we get there I sneak another look at the beautiful, beautiful spellbook.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Try to learn the spell "Rhialto's Random Missiles".

Posted Image You try to learn the spell, but it's too difficult, you need more experience in the art before you can learn it.

Blast! Again!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Try to learn the spell "Blade Shower".

Posted Image You try to learn the spell, but it's too difficult, you need more experience in the art before you can learn it.

I am obsessed with the book, and it is not until late that night that I reach into my backpack and realize that Keldath Ormlyr had given us five Potions of Mirrored Eyes.

Posted Image

Those basilisks are going to go DOWN. But which spell should I use? Mynoc's Irresistible Appeal? Rodent Form? Random Spell I? I... I have so many options... the power is growing within me! Soon, I will be UNSTOPPABLE!! MUAHAHA... hahah.. um... ha.

I am only roused from my obsession when I hear Finch reading a story in the common room.

Posted Image

...is that Mystra foresaw the Time of Troubles (and her own passing at the hands of Helm) and chose to give some of her power to mortals in order to ensure that her successor (the female mage Midnight, as it turned out) would have a number of nearly immortal allies in the struggle against the schemes of the gods (the now dead Bane, Myrkul, and Bhaal) who precipitated the Time of Troubles by stealing the Tablets of Fate.

The theory goes on to suggest that Mystra informed Azuth at approximately the Year of the Rising Flame (0 DR), more than 1,300 years before the Time of Troubles, that some of her power must be put into the hands of mortals who would then become known as Mystra's Chosen. This power would sleep within the bodies of those mortals, allowing Mystra to call on it only with their permission. It would give the Chosen the innate ability to heal quickly, and would give them life spans far greater than those of ordinary mortals. Mystra speculated that these mortals might be able to call on her power and thereby gain some special abilities, but that these powers would not rival those of a deity. (See "Powers" below.) The Goddess of All Magic then began to select mortals she thought to be suitable. One of the first was the young mage Elminster, and she also singled out a promising wizard named Khelben Arunsun.

Both have proved to be worthy and capable receptacles of her power, but Mystra's other early attempts to invest her power in living humans were unsuccessful, and she came to realize that only very few mortals were of stern enough substance to contain such power within themselves without being destroyed or corrupted. Even though some people aside from Elminster and Khelben may have possessed the requisite strength, it is possible that having lived for years prior to being visited by Mystra had set them on a path from which they were not able to deviate. Whatever the reason, the problem needed to be solved. To get around the difficulty, Mystra devised a plan to use herself as a vessel to breed individuals who could be nurtured and acclimated to her power from the very beginnings of their lives. For the father of these individuals, she picked the best example of human stock she could find: Dornal Silverhand, a nobleman and a former Harper who lived near Neverwinter.

Mystra then possessed the body of Elue Shundar, a half-elven sorceress whom Dornal was already attracted to. Mystra revealed her presence and her plan to Elue, who happily and eagerly agreed to have the goddess share her body. Elue had been reluctant, but under the influence of Mystra the woman became a seductress, and Dornal found his advances being suddenly returned with great fervor. Dornal and Mystra/Elue were wed in the Year of Drifting Stars (760 DR). The first of seven daughters, Anastra Sylune, was born the following winter. Sylune's six sisters emerged at one-year intervals thereafter: Endue Alustriel, Ambara Dove, Ethena Astorma (she prefers the shortened "Storm" these days), Anamanue Laeral, Alassra Shentrantra (known today as the Simbul), and Er'sseae Qilue. These siblings have become known in Realmsian lore as the Seven Sisters.

Dornal, who had been kept in the dark about his wife's true nature through the years (presumably because Mystra didn't want to risk losing his services), was disappointed and nearly distraught by the time his sixth child was born; He had always wanted sons as well as daughters. More importantly, he was seeing his wife deteriorate right before his eyes. The strain of coexisting with the goddess all these years had turned Elue into a withered shell - in essence a lich, clinging to life only because Mystra's power was within her.

When Elue was carrying the seventh child, Dornal consulted a priest who told him his wife had been possessed by an entity of great magical power. To spare both of them any further agony, he attempted to slay his wife's physical form by severing her head from her body. As soon as he had done this, Mystra was forced to reveal herself to him, and she went on to explain her scheme. Just as she had worried would happen, Dornal was aghast at how he and his wife had been used by the goddess. He turned his back on the corpse of his wife, abandoned his lands and his children, and vanished into the North.

Mystra bore him no ill will, and in fact protected him for the final 30 years of his life. When Dornal finally did meet his end he called out to Mystra and the goddess granted him continued existence as her servant. Now known as the Watcher, Dornal Silverhand travels the world unseen by mortals on a continuing mission to locate candidates to swell the ranks of the Chosen and to identify possible threats to Mystra and her minions.

Gameplay note: After the jpg file got to be over 1mb I decided screenshotting the whole thing was pointless. Also, I am as disappointed as you probably are about Finch going down :(. Jaheira is up next, which makes us low on tanks. Maybe I'll stick her out in front with Mirrored Eyes when we go up against the basilisks.

#133 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:23 AM

Posted Image

16 Kythorn, 1369

After raising Finch, of course we go back to the Jovial Juggler to see everybody once again, and to give her some rest. I'll miss the little gal, but she deserves a break. She's been dying too much. When we get there, I see my warrior woman come towards me from across the room.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image *She gives you a rough shove on your back. A veiled caress, perhaps.*

She doesn't talk to me at all beyond that. Well, if that's how she's going to be, I'll just shove her back!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image *Shove Shar-teel aside in a friendly manner.*

Posted Image *Shar-Teel begins to speak, then suddenly starts and points at something behind you. You turn to look, and feel a comradely blow hit you between your shoulder blades. When you turn back, Shar-Teel is swaggering off in another direction, and from her expression, you suspect that chocolate would not melt in her mouth.*

Gameplay note: What's that supposed to mean? Chocolate would not melt in her mouth? Does that mean her mouth is dry? It's cold? Is she happy, sad? What emotion to you have to feel in order to NOT melt chocolate in your mouth? I'm confused.

Also, did you see the amazingly large amount of options I can choose in order to interact with my beloved? I wonder how many of them result in violence for me.

We relax for a day or so, resting, regaining spells, exchanging stories. Gavin asks me a question over a beer late at night.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image No, not really. It seems too far away to plan.

Posted Image Fair enough. But one day, this quest will end, and you will need to think about it eventually. You seem to have developed a flair for adventuring. Do you think you might like to go on?

Posted Image I might. Are you offering your services?

Posted Image I might be tempted, but I have some family business to take care of first.

Posted Image When this is over, where will you go?

Posted Image I'm going to find the biggest, busiest city I can find. I love the excitement.

Posted Image And when you've done everything there is to do in that big city, it will be just as confining as Candlekeep.

Posted Image They say that you can never go home again.

Posted Image Who are "they," and why do they keep saying these things?

Posted Image No idea.

Posted Image I've been thinking about what I'm going to do, when this is over. I keep thinking that I want nothing more than to go back to Lanie, see if I can find a way to raise her myself, away from that lying mother of hers, and see her grow up to be wise and happy.

Posted Image But then, where will I find a home for us? Beregost is a nice enough town, but there are a lot of unpleasant memories there. Ulgoth's Beard is nice, or was, when I was a boy, but I'm not sure Lanie would be happy there, or I, anymore. And then I think about all the things I've seen and done, and how I'd like to see more of the world. I could never bring a child into that kind of life, though.

Posted Image There are other places besides Beregost and Ulgoth's Beard. Maybe Baldur's Gate will be better, or somewhere we haven't been, yet.

Posted Image Maybe.

Posted Image I guess what you are saying is to take each day as it comes. I can live with that.

I also manage to track down Bjornin. He's still hanging out here, although why I found him in the kitchen I don't know.

Posted Image

Posted Image There is a weird person hiding upstairs. He is afraid of you, and thinks you are spying on him.

Posted Image Upstairs? Well, of course I watch everybody that crosses my path, being a paladin, but... no, there is nobody I have observed right now. I don't know what the man was talking about.

Posted Image Of course he didn't want me to tell you this, but to be honest I didn't really take him seriously anyhow.

Posted Image There are too many of these people around, unfortunately.

I also take the time to talk to Jaheira, to invite her in to take Finch's place while the librarian recovers from her wounds.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image I have need of you, Jaheira, but I would ask you to travel without Khalid, at least for now. The group should not be too large, and we have others who are needed still more.

Posted Image Travel w-without me? Jaheira, are you sure this is w-w-wise?

Posted Image No, Khalid, it is *not* wise. But Syvishtar leads this group, and Gorion would wish us to help him. We will meet again soon.

#134 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:26 AM

Not two minutes into this new arrangement, Jaheira is already stirring up trouble.

Posted Image

Posted Image I was wondering that very thing. I do not know if you have contributed your fair share to the well-being of this party since you joined.

Posted Image *reddens* Jaheira, I do not know how to answer that.

Posted Image I have done my best for the group. I am no warrior, but you knew that when I joined. I have used all the powers Lathander gave me to help Syvishtar and the rest of the party. When fighting was inevitable, I have fought to the best of my ability. If that is not enough for you, then I do not know what would be.

Posted Image Ultimately, it falls to Syvishtar to decide if you have lived up to your obligations. As he has not dismissed you yet, he must find your continued presence acceptable. But that is not my only concern.

Posted Image There is more?

Posted Image You know there is. You have not been completely honest with any of us.

Posted Image Jaheira, those are strong words, and untrue. I have not spoken a single false word since joining this company.

Posted Image You may not have overtly lied, but I do not believe you have told Syvishtar everything.

Posted Image Have you? Have you told Syvishtar every detail of your life up to the moment you met at the Friendly Arm Inn? Then do not chide me for showing the same reserve as you.

Posted Image I have heard that you have a wife and child in Beregost.

Posted Image Well, you are half right. I have a daughter in Beregost, but her mother was never my wife.

Posted Image This is likely to shock you, but that is not my intent. I was as honorable as I could have been. I gave the child my name, even though my once-beloved got her with another man. And I still provide for them both, even if I can no longer abide my former lover's lies. I became adventuerer in part to provide for my daughter's education. It really is the least I can do.

Posted Image Forgive me, Gavin. I did not know.

Posted Image The girl needed a father. I was happy I could do that much for her. And I do love the girl as a daughter, so it makes little difference.

Posted Image But now that you know the most painful part of my past, I hope you can forgive my reluctance to announce it right away.

Posted Image

Posted Image Gavin, I had no idea. Well, if you are doing your best for the child, I have no cause to complain. Thank you for your honesty. Let us resume our journey.

THAT BITCH!

Gameplay note: THAT BITCH! I guess this is a bit of a coding error. Probably if you have Jaheira in your party from the beginning she uncovers Gavin's secret before he's ready to reveal it. But since she wasn't in the party before now he confessed to us all on his own. And now she looks like a gossip queen who's 2 weeks behind everybody else, trying to call out someone for no other reason than to be spiteful. I don't really get the numerous opportunities that the mod is giving me to kick Gavin out of the party though. My adventuring party doesn't have a "no babydaddies" clause. But maybe it should develop a "no nosy bitches" clause.

And another thing! Jaheira may not be able to determine if Gavin has contributed enough to the party, but I sure as hell can!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh. Huh. Would you look at that. Jaheira has more kills and has generated more xp with a higher %age value of kills. Maybe she's got a point.

Imoen tries to smooth over the situation by showing up with enough beer for everyone. We all drink deeply and long. Eventually things get back to normal. And, as is becoming our custom, we listen to Finch read a story to finish off the night.

Posted Image

...Mycontil, though the country soon degenerated into a group of small independent city states.

Skirmishes with Var, and between the city-states, continued for several centuries until a king once again united the country. King Bornial was a skilled ruler, and under him Estagund began to prosper. His descendants did not share his wisdom, and in 1053 DR, King Selkarin more than illustrated this. He had failed to conquer Durpar, and Veldorn resisted his challenges. An avowed mysogynist, Selkarin turned his attentions to the matriarchy of Dambrath. He led a large fleet to attack Dambrath, taking extreme losses, including his own life. Selkarin died childless, so his brother Seltarir was crowned King. The new ruler faced a country with most of its fighting men gone, and an unforseen problem: famine. The famine was caused by a blight that wiped out nearly all the year's crops in Estagund. This made him eager for a deal posed by the Durparian merchant Jeradeem, and in a legendary trade the entire country of Estagund was sold. Contrary to popular rumor, Seltarir did not trade away the country for 24 pearls. In actuality he received diamonds worth almost a million gold pieces. The sudden wealth gave him an instant seat on the Council of Merchants, so he retained a measure of rule in addition to his fortune. Chaka Seltarir is still the richest chaka in Estagund to this day. In the years that followed, the Gunders began rebuilding their lives under their new circumstance, and now they compete on equal footing with the merchants of Durpar and Var.

The next morning, we get back to work. With our new party makeup, we have to do some adjustment. Going up against basilisks is not going to be easy. They can turn you to stone just by looking at you. What we need is one person in front who has drank a Potion of Mirrored Eyes, and five people in back with ranged weapons. There is no one else I trust for this mission besides myself. My staff will do for the basilisks as well. I instruct everyone to get into a wedge formation, with me a the van.

I also go through our equipment to see what works best for whom. Since this is a new day, I use Finch's glasses to identify the robe Rhialto was wearing. I am glad I did, because it's awesome!

Posted Image

I also appropriate the Ring of Protection for myself for this mission. And, finally, I put the Flame of the North in my belt in case anything goes wrong.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Sadly enough, I have the most hit points in the party. I will also probably have the best AC after I cast Armor. Rose has 0 AC and both Jaheira and Gavin have -1, but AC isn't really the thing against basilisks. Magic resistance, either total or against gaze attacks, is really what you have to have. Because basilisks will indeed turn you to stone with a look.

I give the Teddy Bear of Protection to Viconia. She seems to consider it to be a powerful talisman. She evidently does not associate it with children. I won't tell if you won't. She is not strong enough to wear platemail... unless I give her the Gauntlets of Ogre Power. With that, she can lift and wear plate mail. And since she is the highest-level cleric we have, I also give her the Boots of the Forgotten Ones. She will be melee backup in case anything goes wrong with me.

Posted Image

Gavin still has 33 Sunstone Bullets, so we're good to go there. Rose has enough darts and Jaheira has a crossbow with adequate bolts.

For spells, we still essentially have 3 clerics, so Gavin stays all heals. I am a little worried about our ability to kill these basilisks quickly, so I have Jaheira memorize two Dooms and two Fearie Fires, along with one heal. Viconia, the cleric with access to level 2 spells, memorizes three Aids and two Know Opponent spells for level 2, and keeps her Bless, Curse, and two heals for level 1. She also memorizes two Commands. If the basilisks are not very immune to magic these all should help us defeat them. And, of course, when we run across Mutamin they will help as well. Ahh, yes, the mage. We should prepare better for him. I have Viconia erase one Aid spell and take on a Silence instead. That should be enough. We are ready.

Eight hours of rest later, we head out to kill the mad mage Mutamin. At the last minute, I have a horrible thought of my cat being turned to stone, so I put her in my backpack.

We stop by the Song of the Morning Temple and pick up a Stone to Flesh scroll for 450 gold. Its expensive, but a sensible precaution when going up against basilisks.

Keldath said that the basilisks were east of the temple, so I guess the best bet is to patrol the temple area and then, if we don't find anything, to keep going east.

Posted Image

We begin our patrol. First thing we find is a man named Ashen, who doesn't seem to care that a pack of wild dogs is coming to get us all.

Posted Image

Posted Image You are from Waterdeep? I should like to visit that great city someday.

Posted Image I doubt you would find MY circles to your taste. Not nearly enough mongrel people wandering about smelling up the place. No, you stick to your environment, and I shall gladly retreat to mine.

What's he talking about? We took a bath in the Friendly Arm, what, last month? At any rate, we set upon the task of dog-killing.

Posted Image

It's not a problem. And neither are the wolves we find later.

Posted Image

The ancient lich, however, is more difficult to deal with.

Posted Image

Posted Image Gods be good, Polus, haven't you dried out yet? Pay him no heed, Syvishtar. Just let him go sleep it off.

Posted Image Ahhh, look fella, we're not going to give you all of our money.

Posted Image Wrongs answer boys. -Hic- You shoulda givens me the moneys when I ashked ya. Ya know what I am! I'll lets ya into a little shecret... I'm a LICH. Yessh I am, powerful magicsh I wields, and now you've made me mad. You've gots one last chancesh, give me alls your money -hic-!

Posted Image Look guy, we're not gonna give you any money, now bug off.

Posted Image Whoa, ya guysh jusht don't get it, do ya. I'm gonna killsh you with my allsh-mighty magical powersh. So nows whatsh itsh gonna be, death or... or... or shumthin'.

Posted Image We're leaving now. Bye.

Posted Image Hey! Whatsh are you, uhhhhh...

Posted Image

Gameplay note: I still think its a little staggering to know that here we are in a game that both makes fun of the very idea of liches at levels 2-3 like this, and then has multiple liches, demiliches, dracoliches, and other lich-like entities lining up to slaughter you later on. It's a coming of age story, I tell you. Innocence lost.

I'm a little worried about him just collapsed on the ground like that, so I try to talk to him again, but he won't respond. So we have no choice but to continue on. We stumble upon another man, this time not so drunk.

Posted Image

Posted Image And what have your observations revealed to you?

Posted Image Oh, I couldn't possibly tell you all that I see. There is so much raw data that must be interpreted and examined thrice over. It is a wonder that even I can assimilate all that information with no ill effects. Still, the long and the short of it reveals interesting times ahead. If I did not know better, I would say that the heavens themselves look on with interest. Conflicts of great significance are on the horizon.

Ominous. We keep going. The ground becomes more broken the further east we go. Also, it begins to rain. Near a small cliff face, we see the statue of a woman.

Posted Image

Wait a second, that's no statue!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gameplay note: We get 227 xp for saving Corianna. That's all though. And now we're out of Stone to Flesh scrolls.

So we are close! But perhaps we should make sure the area immediately next to the temple is safe before venturing further. We next come across a gathering of hobgoblins who don't immediately seem hostile. Curious, i send Imoen in stealthed to see what's going on.

Posted Image

She can't really figure out anything, though, so we all just charge in together after Viconia gives me Aid.

#135 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:29 AM

Posted Image

Oh. Another one of these half-baked hobgoblin stickups. Maybe I can outsmart them.

Posted Image We'll not fight you. In fact, we want to join your group.

Posted Image You no join Chill! Not even funny! 'Tis insult you die for!

Oh, right, the Chill. These hobgoblins are all part of some mercenary group. That means money. I wonder how much they have? They attack. I only have Cattack to contend with first, but the others are closing in fast. Viconia casts Command at one, and he sleeps. Then she switches to her mace to help me out. Jaheria casts Doom at Cattack. The rest of the party fires missiles. I think it might be an excellent time to cast Burning Hands.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Or maybe not. Gavin decides it's time he helped me in melee. He prays to Lathander and a brightly glowing mace, Dawn's Embrace, appears in his hand. Then he slowly wades into the fight. I feel lucky, as I destroy Cattack with my Serpent Shaft and Viconia Curses the entire party of hobgoblins.

Posted Image

The hobgoblins slooowly begin to fall, one by one. As the effect of the wild surge wears off, the last of them gracefully plummets to the ground.

Posted Image

No deaths, no damage. Go team Syvishtar! The hobgoblins were practically broke, though. The Chill must not pay much. Just around the next rock we are almost knocked down by a panicked human.

Posted Image

Flush with a flawless victory against hobgoblins, we stride right up to the cave and enter.

Posted Image

When we enter, though, things do not look good.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Does that spider actually have swords for legs? (Yes.) A second later, an Astral Phase Spider teleports into the middle of our party.

Posted Image

TIME TO GO! We turn tail and run. Funnily enough, however, the Astral Phase Spider follows us out of the cave mouth. How it did this, I do not know.

Posted Image

The spider rips Jaheira to shreds in mere moments, then starts on Viconia.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: This really was in a moment. It must have been all one round. Nobody else could have even attacked once before she was dead.

As we all try to run away, the Sword Spider also comes out after us, and the Astral Phase Spider teleports to catch up. Viconia manages to get a heal off for herself.

Posted Image

My love for Haiass grows, as he fights a brave rear-guard action as we run the fuck away, even though I keep telling him to follow us.

Posted Image

We run as fast as we can to the temple. Viconia, with her Boots of the Forgotten Ones, gets there first. But we cannot say we are safe, because the Astral Phase Spider casts Dimension Door and teleports right to her within the courtyard to renew its attacks.

Gameplay note: Goddamn modders! :argh:

Posted Image

We must change direction. We run west, for Beregost. Viconia manages to heal herself again as she waits for the rest of us to catch up. The Spider From Hell teleports to Gavin.

Posted Image

He manages to run past, but Imoen doesn't. The spider turns to her and poisons her with a quick jab of its mandibles.

Posted Image

Quickly, Gavin throws an antidote at her and she drinks it. It works. We just barely make it to Beregost in time. The spiders don't follow us into town. Holy weaveballs, though. What the hell are we going to do now? We shoulda listened to Rudier, he had the right goddamn idea.

Gameplay note: Well, we didn't quiiite get to Mutamin today. In fact I was distracted the entire time. That cave has nothing to do with him, it was just in the temple area so I thought I'd pop in and look around. But hey, we can go get him tomorrow! With Shar-Teel! Do you think we should? We could also wait on Mutamin and go to Nashkel right now. Which should it be?

A: Don't give up just because Jaheira is dead. Stay away from mysterious caves and go kill a basilisk-taming crazymage.
B: Crazy mages can keep. We want to go to the Nashkel carnival and save some wenches from certain death!

#136 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:29 AM

The thread voted to stay with the plan and hunt down Mutamin.

#137 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:32 AM

Posted Image

17 Kythorn, 1369

We have just succcessfully run away from a giant teleporting deathspider.

Posted Image

We need two things. We need to resurrect Jaheira, and we need her equipment. The spiders are standing in the way of both of those things.

Posted Image

Yep, it's still there. I think now would be a perfect time to go to the Thunderhammer Smithy and sell the crap we picked up from the hobgoblins.

Posted Image

Just hanging out at the smithy. Just browsin' the goods. Ooh, look, Helm of Charm Protection!

Posted Image

That could possibly be useful when I'm not being chased by teleporting death spiders.

Posted Image

This too. Of course they both cost insane amounts of money. Money which I keep spending on resurrecting dead companions. But it's not like I can just leave their dead corpses on the open plain. That would make me feel too guilty. At least I imagine it would. Don't really feel too guilty about Montarot and Eldarth though. I want to try to pass the time, so I take a moment to have a bit of a conversation with Imoen.

Posted Image

Posted Image *You ask Imoen lots of personal questions.*

Posted Image Wanna know a secret 'bout me? Well, I always was in love with Hull!

Posted Image He-he! Ya should see ya face! Gottcha!

Gameplay note: Hull was a Watcher in Candlekeep that had a headache during the tutorial and asked you to fetch his longsword and some headache medicine from the barracks on the south side. I didn't put you guys through the tutorial because I didn't want to put myself through the tutorial.

I wonder if Viconia has any secrets worth telling.

Posted Image

Posted Image *You proceed with asking inquisitive questions about Viconia's past.*

Posted Image Stay back from me, surfacer. Your stench is unbearable!

It didn't seem to be unbearable that first night in the Inn... heh. Nonchalantly I make my way outside, not at all scared that teleporting half-invisible phase spiders are going to be haunting me all my days. Oh no. They can't reach me here! Not in town at least... but outside? Can they teleport anywhere outside?!

No, I can't keep thinking this way. I must go back.

Posted Image

Shit!

Posted Image

I wonder how good ol' Bjornin is doin' back at the Jovial Juggler?

Posted Image

Posted Image Why can't the priest heal your wounds? I bet that would go a lot faster.

Posted Image ...and cost much, much more. No, not every wound can be healed so easily, and my body needs the rest. I try to make the best of it.

Man, don't I know it. The priests around here charge prohibitively expensive prices! We decide to relax a bit, stretch out, take a nap. After all, its a beautiful day. Don't want to waste it dying. Eight hours later, we return to the Temple area around midnight, and no spiders are to be found. At least none directly in the path of the temple, teleporting to us suddenly in order to rip out our entrails.

Posted Image

Good. Now we can raise Jaheira and try to retrieve her equipment.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Raising Jaheira is only 100 gold. At least she doesn't break the bank. Now, for her equipment! Just in case the spiders are still around, I send Imoen out stealthed. IT IS IT IS IT'S RIGHT FUCKING THERE.

Posted Image

The goddamn spider is still fucking out there! Imoen goes looking for Jahiera's equipment. She finds it... next to the sword spider. These things can kill us all with impunity. We have to stay away.

Posted Image

Imoen can't carry everything, so she just gets the crossbow and bolts. And the potion of Cloud Giant Strength. She had to cast Invisibility to pick the stuff up without dying to the sword spider. We decide that sleeping here at the temple again is a good idea. The next morning we send Imoen out again for the armor. She picks it up, but it's pretty heavy for her.

Posted Image

She manages to make it back to the temple, and then we all go back to the Jovial Juggler. Jaheira should rest. Shar-Teel is what we need. I need my she-bear next to me in this fight.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image I do have need of you, but not because of your debt. Your skill is invaluable to me.

Posted Image Make no mistake; I follow you only because of your prowess in battle. When that falters, so does my loyalty.

Posted Image *Your formidable mate, Shar-Teel, turns toward you, all strength and grace, if little of pleasantness.*

Posted Image *growls* So, that's what you meant about putting more padding under my armor! Jerk! You want them bigger, go find a cow!

Heh. Boobs.

Once again the party reorganization requires equipment reorganization. Good thing I kept Viconia's splint mail. Shar-Teel gets all of her old equipment back - the Flame of the North, the Ring of Protection, the Gauntlets of Ogre Power, and plate mail. Viconia has to go back to wearing splint mail. I also give Shar-Teel the formation spot immediately behind me. She will be my backup in the fight against basilisks.

Unlike some companions I know, Shar-Teel doesn't need rest before heading out. She is ready to go right away. So we begin the 12 hour long journey east of the temple, where the stone-turned woman told us they would most likely be.

Posted Image

When we arrive, the ground is red, and the feeling is ominous.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I send Imoen out to scout with strict instructions to not attack ANYTHING. In doing a preliminary outside scouting action, she sees a couple of Medusae hanging out in the trees.

Posted Image

She does not attack. She also runs across a pack of skeletons. Still no attacking from her.

Posted Image

More medusae in the trees. Perhaps coming here at night was not a good idea.

Posted Image

Nearby she finds some actual basilisks. Scary.

Posted Image

And on the west side, a small pack of ghouls.

Posted Image

Unfortunately while trying to sneak by them she trips and makes her presence known. The ghouls start running after her. She starts running back to the rest of us. She runs by a non-hostile monster but doesn't have time to check up on that.

Posted Image

She makes it back to us and manages to lose the ghouls. When I get her report of the area, I decide that we should rest until morning, in order to avoid the undead getting in the way of our mage hunting. In the morning I realize that my Armor spell I cast last night had permanently altered the colors of my robe and my skin.

Posted Image

The mark of the weave, on my very body! I cast Armor once more, and drink a Potion of Mirrored Eyes. Then I cautiously lead the party into the area. So obviously, when we finally see a basilisk, it is not in front of us but to the left and slightly behind us.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I move my party back and around the other way. Then we close in for the attack. Also, obviously, it would be too easy for the basilisk to attack me directly. Instead he goes for Haiass. Viconia tries to cast Command, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Posted Image

The Potion of Mirrored Eyes leaves me just as Shar-Teel slashes the basilisk with the Flame of the North, killing it.

Posted Image

I also realize just how I've been reading Rhialto's spellbook wrong!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This new realization requires study, contemplation. It requires me to open Rhialto's spellbook in a safe location.

#138 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:34 AM

I return the party to our previous night's camping spot and get to work.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Try to learn the spell "Blade Shower".

Posted Image

Gameplay note: This is actually pretty complicated to understand. So, ok. I'm level 3. If I cast the spell, 3 daggers will be created. They can each hit a different target. They do 1d4 points of damage. They bypass all physical and magical defenses and always strike the target. But on a critical miss they do no damage. On a critical hit they do double damage + Silence, Confusion, Horror, Sleep, OR Wild Magic if the target fails a save vs spells. It's kinda like individually targeted Magic Missiles + Chromatic Orb combo projectiles. Kinda. Neat. Sounds like it's good for a wide spread of weak enemies, like hordes of gibberlings or kobolds.

Shar-Teel interrupts my studying, probably on purpose.

Posted Image

Posted Image *Shar-Teel pats your face, smearing the dirt and grime that resided there, and adding to it generously.*

Damn woman! Can't she see I'm concentrating?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Try to learn the spell "Rhialto's Random Missiles".

But that other one... maybe I could learn it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Try to learn the spell "Summon Wild Horde".

Posted Image

Gameplay note: EXPLODING BUNNIES! I imagine they could chain-splode as one going off kills the rest! It's like a level 2 aggressive bunny tank-powered fireball spell!

I look up from the spellbook, my eyes wide. This... this changes everything! Our entire strategy! I must memorize Summon Wild Horde. I must use it against the basilisks. The bunnies will fight for me, oh yes they will. I immediately set about my nightly memorization routine. I hardly notice as the rest of the party sets up camp around me. I eventually fall into bed, exhausted but excited.

Gameplay note: Becoming level 3 is also a very important step for a Wild Mage. Previously, I was casting most of my spells through Nahal's Reckless Dweomer, the level 1 spell that allows me access to every spell in my spellbook at once. The penalty for using it is a guaranteed wild surge, which has been quite entertaining so far. But now I have 2 level two spell slots, and I have filled them with normal, respectable spells like Summon Wild Horde and Chaos Shield. Regular spells only have a 5% chance of causing a wild surge when cast by a wild mage, so my spellcasting has just gotten much more stable. Only 40% of my spells are guaranteed to cause a wild surge now, rather than 66%.

After I wake up, I remember that Imoen had mentioned a non-hostile monster north of our camping spot. I decide to check it out before diving further into basilisk territory. When we head north, Viconia first spots one of the Ghouls that had chased Imoen before.

Posted Image
Posted Image

She attempts to Turn it, to no effect. It bounds straight into the middle of our party and tries attacking me. That was probably because I was casting Armor. Its two friends follow behind.

Posted Image

I smash it into bloody chunks with my staff. I'm getting pretty good at using this thing.

Posted Image

The others attack Haiass as we fire and flail at them. Shar-Teel chunks another.

Posted Image

I take out the third. I guess that means I'm beating her. I talk to her, hoping to say something to taunt her with this.

Posted Image

Posted Image *You wink at Shar-Teel.*

Posted Image *Shar-Teel shrugs her shoulders.*

Now where is this friendly monster? Ahh, here he is.

Posted Image

I feel Imoen's gaze on the back of my neck. She's only really going to be giving me one choice here.

Posted Image You can be our friend, but you better not do anything that'll make us mad.

Posted Image Me will be good boy, me promise. Me will help you with anything you need.

He joins our party, ready to fight with us. Huh. Aren't the undead immune to a basilisk's gaze? Lets find out, shall we! We soon come upon our first basilisk of the day, and I send Korax in.

Posted Image

It seems as though he is! This is going to be a lot easier than I thought.

Posted Image

We come upon a medusa next. It goes for Viconia, but I tell her to retreat and send in the ghoul.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The medusa tries to do something to the ghoul but he just brushes it off. Go Korax go!

Posted Image

Then, as we move in to melee range, the mad mage Mutamin makes himself known.

#139 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:38 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image Mornmaster Kelddath was right to set us on this quest. If this is madness, then it is rooted in evil, and beyond the cure of this world. Syvishtar, let us help him into the next to seek it there!

Posted Image If you feel lucky!

Posted Image I saw a true artist near Nashkel mines. Prism poured his soul into a carving of rare beauty - and he gave all of himself to bring the stone to life. You, on the contrary, take others' lives, madman, and you have created naught but a garden of fear... they are not statues, Mutamin, they are... dead stone.

Posted Image Is it just me, or is the world filled with wackos. Ok, Mr. psycho gnome, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but we're really not interested in your rock garden.

Posted Image You will go nowhere! You will join the beautiful work of art that standssss before you. You will become a piece of the art... forever.

Mutamin looks Hasted and Mirror Imaged. I know that now is the time, and so I cast Summon Wild Horde! Haiass, true to his training, goes right after Mutamin.

Posted Image

AND LO, MINE BUNNY ARMY DOTH HOP FORTH! YEA, AND VERILY SHALT MINE ENEMIES BE NIBBLED AND JUMPED UPON UNTO THE THIRD AND FOURTH GENERATIONS OF THEM THAT FIGHT ME!

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Looks like the bunnies are allies, but not controllable. You just gotta cast them and let them hop to it.

I call my allies to me. We must retreat and let the bunnies attack in their fashion. We do not want to be caught up in the carnage to come.

Posted Image

The medusa falls to the onslaught.

Posted Image

Morbidly curious, I trail behind the advancing horde of bunnies. Mutamin is trying to make sense of the situation, running to and fro just ahead of the advancing bunny horde. Off in the distance, a Greater Basilisk is busy turning bunnies to stone. I don't think it really matters, though. The bunnies don't seem to be affected by Mutamin's Horror spell either.

Posted Image

Then, as Mutamin casts Color Spray upon them all, the bunnies are unsummoned. They all disappear in several flashes of light.

Posted Image

That didn't last long. I should do it again. I drink a Potion of Mirrored Eyes to protect against the basilisks that seem to be in this fight. There is something going on with Korax, Haiass, and them northeast, but I can't see.

Posted Image

Viconia blesses us all. As I move into position to cast my Horde once again, I am just in time to see my wolf turned to stone by a Greater Basilisk. Uh oh.

Posted Image

I begin to cast Summon Wild Horde and Viconia begins to cast Silence on Mutamin. He is also casting a spell, though I do not know what. But when my bunnies appear, I understand. It's a slow spell, at Rose. I yell at her to get away from the rest of the party.

Posted Image

But its too late, the Slow hits them all. At the same time, Mutamin runs north, dodging Viconia's Silence, and my second crop of bunnies bursts forth from the weave. There is only one thing to be done. I reach for Rhialto's spellbook. I turn to the page marked Dispel Magic. I touch it.

Posted Image

Mutamin ruthlessly slaughters one of my rabbits with some kind of attack. As my party members slowly turn to attack Mutamin in turn, Dispel Magic flies off the page of the spellbook and away from me, towards the little spell-slinger.

Posted Image

Sometimes I'm amazing. The Dispel Magic hits the ground behind Mutamin at the same exact second that Shar-Teel arrives in front of him. The spell's effect is twofold. First, it dispels Mutamin's Haste and Mirror Images. And second, it dispels Shar-Teel's Slow. The guy is undoubtedly toast.

Posted Image

But in spiteful retaliation for my spell, Mutamin gestures, and in the next second I see three Magic Missiles coming through the trees at me. I brace for impact.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: This is actually a really complex fight. First you have the party vs. Mutamin, and he's holding his own. Even though he might die in the next round he's Hasted and Mirror Imaged himself and slowed them. If I hadn't been able to Dispel, he would have run in and out of spell range casting stuff at us and we would have been unable to catch up to him, because NPC mages are smart enough to do that now. But then, to the northeast, we have Korax, Haiass, and the bunnies vs. a basilisk, a greater basilisk, and a medusa. Korax is Badly Injured and is probably going to die soon. The bunnies are also going to disappear in a second or two. The party MUST kill Mutamin right now so that Syvishtar can have the damage power to take on the 3 big baddies left. And with my luck his Mirrored Eyes potion is going to give out at the same moment Korax and the bunnies disappear.

My warrior queen does not let me down.

Posted Image

Mutamin's tiny organs splash all over the grass as his Magic Missiles slam into me, hurting me but not fatally. I have never wanted Shar-Teel more than I do right now. I throw her a Potion of Mirrored Eyes and tell her that we're going to take care of the other business. She catches it one-handed and chugs it down. I go around my bunny horde, and she goes around the trees, and from two directions we close in on our prey.

Posted Image

Then with one swift stroke, Shar-Teel kills the Greater Basilisk.

Posted Image

A second later, Korax the Ghoul takes a fatal bite out of the Lesser Basilisk, and it falls as well.

Posted Image

I tell everyone and everything to attack the Medusa.

Posted Image

When the bunnies disappear we are still fighting.

Posted Image

Viconia gives us a little divine intervention.

Posted Image

After that, the battle is basically over.

Posted Image

Viconia gets the deathblow, and we can finally relax. As soon as the fight is over, Shar-Teel turns to me.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image *Shar-Teel grabs your arm, above the elbow.* Move along, and shut your trap. You must have swallowed a dozen flies already while gawking at me.

I gawk harder still. But I also remember we have a ghoul with us and magical protections that may fail soon. If we're going to kill any more basilisks, we should do it immediately. Right north of us is yet another medusa. We close in for the kill.

Posted Image

For some reason the medusa attacks me, cutting me deeply. I drink a healing potion, and have Viconia come to Aid me. My potion of mirrored eyes wears off at the same time, so I retreat from the front line and gulp it down too.

Posted Image

But something I did not know was that medusae can poison. I find out the hardest way, of course.

Posted Image

Viconia also slips me an Elixir of Health. But the poison works quickly on me and I feel my life slipping away before I have a chance to drink it. Viconia is able to heal me once more, and Gavin also begins his slow journey towards me to heal me as well. He's the only member of the party still Slowed. I hope I can last long enough to open this damn bottle!

Posted Image

I do.

Posted Image

We need to kill this bitch fast, and Shar-Teel comes through in the end.

Posted Image

With that difficult fight done, I think we had better loot and camp for the night. We need to recharge our spells. I need more bunnies! On our way back we pass someone who has recently been turned to stone. We should buy another Stone to Flesh scroll for her.

Posted Image

And Haiass. Although... I wonder if Dispel Magic would work? We can try it out tomorrow.

#140 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:38 AM

Gameplay note: Everybody leveled! Woohoo! Not only that, but many are also most of the way to the next level as well. Killing medusae is giving us a ton of xp.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

9 more hp for Shar-Teel is more than anyone could have hoped for. Look at her, all 20 hps. She might not die right away now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And Gavin goes straight from level 1 to level 3. He's temporarily the equal of Viconia now, but only because I haven't leveled her to 4 yet. But 23 hit points and 3 level 2 spells is nothing to sneeze at. He also has access to spells that Viconia doesn't: Barkskin and Goodberry. This is because Morninglords of Lathander have major access to the plant sphere. However, Gavin is missing Resist Acid and Corrosion, and Resist Fire and Cold, because Morninglords of Lathander have no access to the sphere of protection, while Nightcloaks of Shar have major access. This means that with Beast Claw, Viconia once again has 1 more spell than anyone else. Shar god best god?

Posted Image

This can be cast on anybody, and will be cast on all tanks at all times! Right now it lasts for 7 rounds, or 42 seconds, so it should be cast at the beginning of combat. He'll probably be casting it on Shar-Teel all the time.

Posted Image

Goodberry is more important now that most of the AI scripts that you can assign to characters automatically cast and eat goodberries. They go away after 24 hours so sometimes its hard to remember to use them. And they only heal 5 hit points at first. Never really very many hit points, but still 5 is better than none in a pinch. The only problem is that when you get in a pinch, you have probably exhausted all your other spells and didn't memorize Goodberry to begin with. Works much better as an innate magical ability, which a few characters might actually have.

Posted Image

Posted Image

She also got her saving throws reduced by one and her THAC0 reduced by 2. In 2nd edition DnD numbers going down is sometimes good, as in this case. Oh and that point in Sling proficiency is new too.

Posted Image

With the Boots of the Forgotten Ones on, she can cast 7 level one spells and 6 level two spells. She's going to be a powerhouse.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Only 3 hit points, but hey! Finally she can cast 1 level one mage spell. Too bad she can't study Rhialto's spellbook too. Wild mages only. Her cold resistance is up to 18% now. I'll try to keep that in mind if we go up against cold-based enemies. And now with 70 in pickpocketing she might be able to actually pickpocket some people.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Imoen has 65 in both open locks and find traps now. 3 more levels and she can have them both at 100. We might want to dual her to mage then. Also she's got another pip in Short Bows. Good for her!

Posted Image

The plan is to select new spells, rest, and go up against the rest of the map tomorrow. Maybe people will be able to level again.