Photo

BGT music problem

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 coldnpale

coldnpale
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:41 AM

Greetings. This is my first topic in the forums! I recently decided to replay my favourite bg2..and I fell upon the fabulous bgt mod!:)

1)In the "Setup-BGTMusic" i am using the hybrid option. Even though I hear menu music and battle music some areas music go missing, in both bg1 and bg2 when i'm in cities or roaming in the wild i can only hear the ambience.
I think i read somewhere that in this case I have to copy some music manually from some place to some other, since the bgt .bat files don't take care of this? Or did i just miss something in the installation?

2)As for my second question, i wanted to ask if in "Setup-BGTMusic" the third option is the best choice? Common sense has it that since it keeps all the music for both games it is the most faithful to the original.

I used this one as well but music is still absent.

Much gratitude for your time!
Nice to meet folks like you:)

#2 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

Hmm, it definitely does sound like the music didn't quite get copied over from BG1.
What does your BG2 music directory look like?

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#3 coldnpale

coldnpale
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:58 AM

Last night i went with a reinstall of everything. And it actually seems that ONLY the music from bg1 has issues now.
Bg2 has its areas+battle music.

it's the \BGII - SoA\music ..filled with all the necessary files i pressume. 108 folder, 894 files, 178mb total. Am i missing something? Maybe I should go with a full clean install.
I have the gog versions btw.

Edited by coldnpale, 11 January 2012 - 06:03 AM.

#4 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:27 PM

With the details you give for the directory, it looks alright.
Can you post the SETUP-BGTDOS.DEBUG and SETUP-BGT.DEBUG files found in the game directory?

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#5 coldnpale

coldnpale
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:24 AM

First of all thank you for your interest in helping me, as i am a newbie in this area i might have done some stupid mistake.:P
I attached the two files you asked.
But let me first give you a better briefing.
I did yet another clean reinstall. The result this time is better. I get all music for bg2, and for bg1 i get battle music sometimes, but not always(when i am out in the wild i noticed) but it seems that area music from bg1 is not triggering. For example at the very beginning, outside of the inn i can hear a low volume music coming from the inn next to me, but once i enter there is no music.
The installation i did had the following order.

1)BG1 complete gog
2)BG2 complete gog
3)bg2fixpack-v9
4)BGT112
5)TobEx_Beta0022
6)TxtMusic_v8

in the Setup-BGTMusic I use the hybrid music option. The third one looks to be the best.. but when i use it the music gets really weird. For Example in battles the "friendly arms inn" theme is playing:P

Attached File  SETUP-BGT.DEBUG   1.41MB   464 downloads
Attached File  Setup-BGTDOS.DEBUG   11.58MB   439 downloads

Edited by coldnpale, 12 January 2012 - 06:25 AM.

#6 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:14 PM

Are you using an old saved game, or starting a completely new game. Remember that areas are saved in the saved game, and the music entries exist inside areas. I don't see any problems with your debug files.

--------------
Retired Modder

#7 coldnpale

coldnpale
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:14 AM

I start a new game. If i start from the original bg1 then i notice there is music inside the first inn for example. Howver in bgt in the first inn in candlekeep i can only hear ambience. Maybe in bgt it's supposed not to have music in there, due to the way hybrid version music was programmed.

#8 coldnpale

coldnpale
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:22 AM

ok..just a new update. With the latest install I used the third option on bgtmusic, and everything seems to work normally when I start a new game:)

What is your opinion about the third option in btgmusic? To use both games' own music. I read somewhere that ppl were advising to use the hybrid music version.
Thanks for all your help again.

Edited by coldnpale, 13 January 2012 - 05:33 AM.

#9 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

My advice is use what you want. If you just use BG2 music, things do sound a bit weird. Hybrid music doesn't contain all the BG1 music, so you may get less of a BG1 experience, but this is what users of the very old BGT versions used to experience. Full music edits the executable but gives you full music.

--------------
Retired Modder

#10 coldnpale

coldnpale
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:59 PM

Full music seems to work like a charm now. So i guess i'll stick with it.

However, is it bad that full music actually edits the .exe?

#11 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:57 PM

It should be stable enough. Editing the .exe is usually frowned upon, but the worst it causes is a crash.

--------------
Retired Modder

#12 -Hurricane-

-Hurricane-
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:30 PM

However, is it bad that full music actually edits the .exe?

If your game is working fine, then you don't need to worry about it. Modifying the exe is a somewhat bold method. It is considered tricky because messing with the core, hard-coded mechanisms of the game can lead to crashes and the likes, and is therefore much more severe than "usual" modding, such as merely changing the values and properties of in-game resources like items and texts. Most of the exe patches that are as common as BGT-Music have proven to be safe to use in most circumstances though, else they wouldn't be part of such widely recognized mods.

@ Ascension
I'm curious. coldnpale has TobEx installed. Following up on my inquiries in this thread, does BGT-Music do anything differently now if the option of installing all music is chosen, compared to if there is no TobEx? I understand that TobEx also lifts the row limit on songlist.2da, only on-the-fly in the memory instead of within the exe, but I still haven't learned whether this is used by BGT-Music in any way now.

#13 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

BGTMusic uses taimon's legacy x5 songlist limit hack. In TobEx, I rewrite the proc that prepares the songs, so I can't simply copy and paste any code. I'd prefer to keep BGT standalone and not require TobEx at this stage.

--------------
Retired Modder

#14 -Hurricane-

-Hurricane-
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:44 AM

I see. I've got it now. :) Thanks.

#15 coldnpale

coldnpale
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:19 AM

much graditude for all the clarifications! :)

Now that i am out of irenicus' dungeon.. the only weird thing about music that i notice is that, when irenicus has a conflict with the shoadowthieves and the cowled wizards in waukeen's promenade , that waukeen's area theme doesn't start playing when it's supposed to..it triggers about a minute later though. It's not really a problem, just thought to mention it.

Edited by coldnpale, 14 January 2012 - 05:55 AM.

#16 coldnpale

coldnpale
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

Just wanted to tell everyone that by following ShadowTek's "Big World Project (BWP) Install 101 For Newbies" I am now having a proper bgt version, without any music problems. Thanks to everyone here for the help, and to shadowtek for this guide for dummies ~8-)