Help with BGT Installation

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 -Daniel-

-Daniel-

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:14 PM

Hi All,

I have just downloaded and installed a BG: The Original Saga and the BG2: Complete from Gog.com. I then downloaded and installed the BG2 Fixpack (freshly downloaded v10 from Gibberlings). The next step was to install BGT so I downloaded it here (v1.18). The installation was progressing them I hit this error:

Installing fixpack...
Copying and patching 43 files ...
Copying and patching 19 files ...
ERROR: illegal 2-byte read from offset 1148 of 1148-byte file arghai.cre
ERROR: [arghai.cre] -> [override/arghai.cre] Patching Failed <Copy> <Failure<"arghai.cre: read out of bounds">>
Stopping installation because of error.

Any help would be very welcome!

#2 -Daniel-

-Daniel-

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:18 PM

Sorry, forget to mention I'm running Windows XP Pro.

#3 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:06 AM

A search would probably have revealed your answer; http://www.shsforums...lation-problem/

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#4 -Daniel-

-Daniel-

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

Thanks for the link, but both of BG 1 and BG 2 are installled in a GOG Games folder rather than in Program Files. I've done a couple of searches but none seem solve my problem. Any other help would be great.

#5 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

I am not sure the above fully describes the whole problem, could you attach the whole .debug file, or edit the above post so that it contains the whole of the file ...
Thanks for the link, but both of BG 1 and BG 2 are installled in a GOG Games folder rather than in Program Files. I've done a couple of searches but none seem solve my problem. Any other help would be great.
Making sure of a few things here.
Well, what language do your games use ? Open the BG1 game folder and in there open the baldur.ini ... and copy the text to a post...

You do have a clean BG1(+TotSC) install ? ... as in, it has no mods installed on it !

Edited by The Imp, 11 August 2013 - 09:33 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#6 sillaric

sillaric
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:00 PM

Sorry, I needed to join so that I'd be able to upload files. I've uploaded the DEBUG file and my baldur.ini file. Both are installed in english. The GOG versions for the games appear to be BG+TOSC (clean with no additional mods) and BGII+TOB (this one has the Gibberlings3 Fixpack installed, following the guide on the GOG forums). Hope this clears things up a bit. Both games are installed in English.

Attached Files

Edited by sillaric, 11 August 2013 - 08:00 PM.

#7 sillaric

sillaric
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:24 PM

Sorry all, one more update. I tried uninstalling both BG1 and BG2 and then reinstalling and applying BGT without the fixpack installed, but got the same error in the exact same point during the installation.

#8 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:35 PM

Can you try deliberately using an older version of WeiDU to install BGT?

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#9 sillaric

sillaric
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:29 AM

I would be happy to, could someone direct me to instructions on how I would go about doing that? Thanks so much!

#10 -The Imp-

-The Imp-

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

I would be happy to, could someone direct me to instructions on how I would go about doing that?

I would assume that you can go here and just download one of the "Previous Versions" ... just downloaded the BGT116, so.

#11 -The Imp.-

-The Imp.-

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:35 AM

... here ...

Erhm, here.

#12 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

Make sure you don't have any newer WeiDU versions in the installation folder, because WeiDU likes to self-auto-update.

--------------
Retired Modder

#13 sillaric

sillaric
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:46 PM

Well, that makes me feel a bit sheepish...I'll try that. Thanks guys!

#14 sillaric

sillaric
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:46 PM

Hi all,

Just a quick update. I've tried the previous five versions of WeiDU and realized something I should have from the beginning. The install is actually crashing out somewhere in the Area map conversion, its actually locking up my entire virtual machine. The weird thing is, when I reboot and launch the installer again it runs directly to that same portion (the error I uploaded earlier) and errors out, no matter what version. I can only assume the problem is happening due to my use of Window XP on a VMWare virtual machine. If anyone has any experience with my seemingly more niche issue I'd love more info, but I'm feeling a bit hopeless at the moment.

#15 -thecorruptor-

-thecorruptor-

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Hi

I had exactly the same issue, the install crashed with the exact same message.

I'm running Windows 8 64-bit.

My install order was:

1. FULL install of BG1, TotSC, BG2, ToB from the "Baldur's Gate 4 in 1 Boxset" DVDs
  2. Patched TotSC to 5512 (UK)
  3. Patched ToB to 26498 (English)
  4. Started TotSC, quicksaved
  5. Started ToB, quicksaved
  6. Installed bgt118 but realized halfway through I forgot about bg2fixpack, so killed the process
  7. Installed bg2fixpack v10 (core fixes and minor text updates only)
  8. Retried installing bgt118

After the first error, no matter how hard I tried to clean up my installation folder I kept getting the same error. I figured it had to be the killing of the bgt118 installation process.

So I uninstalled BG2+ToB completely and deleted ALL the folders. In my case I had to delete the relevant folder in C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore as well (Windows 8 redirects changes to system folders to here).

1. I then re-installed both BG2 and ToB in the folder: C:\Users\<Username>\Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\
  2. Applied the 26498 patch
  3. Started the game and quicksaved successfully
  4. Installed bg2fixpack v10 (this time core fixes only, nothing else)
  5. Retried installing bgt118

Everything installed perfectly! So the finishing touches:

1. Installed bgt-music (full BG1+TotSC)
  2. Configured the game
  3. Installed the widescreen mod v3.05
  4. Started a new BG1 game in BGT

I'm not sure whether it was the move to a user folder, or (more likely) just the killing of the previous process which corrupted the game folder beyond repair. Either way a clean re-install in a user folder may just work for you, but make sure you delete ALL BG2-related folders manually after uninstalling! Windows will not remove files which you (or WeiDU) modified after installing the game.

#16 -thecorruptor-

-thecorruptor-

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

Sorry about the wall of text... lost all my pretty formatting for some reason. I hope the info somehow helps others.