Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#2501 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:21 PM

I'm thinking about how to make editable sub-component choices more apparent so Ithildur's experience will not be repeated. Yet another pop-up box seems less than ideal. We could block leaving the selection-tree without setting such sub-components (if they are enabled), i.e., if user clicks back without setting them all, the focus jumps to the first one that isn't set, and so on. Combine this with an explicit instruction to right-click... Thoughts?

In addition to the previous idea, we could also have it automatically bring up the edit box without requiring a right-click when any such component is manually enabled.

Edited by agb1, 18 January 2016 - 09:24 PM.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#2502 Ithildur

Ithildur
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:25 PM

Odd... I honestly don't remember checking off that subcomponent option in the first two installs, but it's possible I did and this last time missed it. If so my mistake. I did use the 'select components from weidu.log' option and pointed it to the weidu log from the previous install; I assumed based on that it would install exactly the same way as previous install but apparently subcomponents are not carried over exactly, at least in cases where weidu log doesn't have the corresponding subcomponent/detail explicitly listed?

If I'd used the option to import/export selection from/to a saved selection.ini file, rather than weidu.log, would the subcomponent selection have carried over?

If so... *sigh* chalk it up to another 'I wish I'd known before installing'. I figured if the Randomizer subcomponent selection didn't carry over and input was required BWS would pause and prompt the user, as it does when handling other mods (1pp, BG2Tweaks, SCS, for example).

Edited by Ithildur, 18 January 2016 - 09:30 PM.

#2503 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:00 AM

The WeiDU.log never includes what we describe in BWS as "sub-components": responses to prompts inside of a single component. BWS uses a different term (multiple choice components or MUCs) for cases where a mod offers a choice among mutually exclusive components.

I will add a message box after using "import from WeiDU log" listing any "sub-components" that need user review.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

#2504 -Jive One-

-Jive One-

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:53 AM

Just a quick question.  I was running a "tactics" install yesterday and there were several instances where it prompted me to skip or install a component because another mod already included a similar component.  One example I remember involved monk fists and the mods Baldurdash, Sword & Fist?, and another one I can't recall.  I skipped the first option but then it didn't install Tortured Souls because Baldurdash was missing.  I think a tactics install has similar prompts with the AI mods like SCS.

Anyways I aborted the installation and am going to start again.  If I decide to do a "tactics" installation again, should I just install everything when given the option?  Will this create instability or crashes in the game?  Would a "standard" installation get rid of these component overlaps?  To be honest I get a bit confused as to which components to install or skip, but I'd the maximum content I can get while still being stable.  Thanks!

#2505 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:19 AM

Just a quick question.  I was running a "tactics" install yesterday and there were several instances where it prompted me to skip or install a component because another mod already included a similar component.  One example I remember involved monk fists and the mods Baldurdash, Sword & Fist?, and another one I can't recall.  I skipped the first option but then it didn't install Tortured Souls because Baldurdash was missing.  I think a tactics install has similar prompts with the AI mods like SCS.

There have been some recent changes (in particular, Baldurdash was updated from 1.68 to 1.73) and you might be the first to try a Tactical installation since then.  Baldurdash 1.73 added new components and renumbered old components, so there might be some new conflicts with other mods as a result.

Anyways I aborted the installation and am going to start again.  If I decide to do a "tactics" installation again, should I just install everything when given the option?  Will this create instability or crashes in the game?  Would a "standard" installation get rid of these component overlaps?  To be honest I get a bit confused as to which components to install or skip, but I'd the maximum content I can get while still being stable.  Thanks!

If you are using the latest BWS, you will be warned if you are installing anything that has known problems (what we call "Expert" mods or components), but our knowledge isn't perfect.  Some conflicts cause instability and crashes.  Others just overwrite each other.  If you ask about each specific issue when you see it, we can check it for you and then update BWS for the next time.

#2506 -Jive One-

-Jive One-

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:31 AM

Thanks for the reply!  I also noticed that when I went to the more detailed menu where you can pick and choose individual mods, there's a screen which shows you conflicts and allows you to deselect them before the installation starts.  This tool was much more clear to me and I believe I was able to remove all conflicts/overlapping components ahead of time.  Install should go smoothly at this point.

#2507 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:10 AM

There have been some recent changes (in particular, Baldurdash was updated from 1.68 to 1.73) and you might be the first to try a Tactical installation since then.  Baldurdash 1.73 added new components and renumbered old components, so there might be some new conflicts with other mods as a result.

This might not be the only reason ... As the BDash fixpack got a new name, it also renamed the .tp2 file, and as such, the NEJ's requirement for the BDash .tp2 name might not be the correct one, so the component that is required is not in the weidu.log cause it's simply wrongly named. This was previously fixed by the BWP Fixpack, but if the .tp2 name was changed, it's not likely applied anymore...

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#2508 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:24 AM

This might not be the only reason ... As the BDash fixpack got a new name, it also renamed the .tp2 file, and as such, the NEJ's requirement for the BDash .tp2 name might not be the correct one, so the component that is required is not in the weidu.log cause it's simply wrongly named. This was previously fixed by the BWP Fixpack, but if the .tp2 name was changed, it's not likely applied anymore...

NEJ v691/v694 tp2 files do not reference BDToBv168 tp2.  v691 checks for Baldurdash indirectly by checking for an area BCS file.  v694 (which is a patch on top of v691) doesn't add any additional checks.  I also did a case-insensitive search in the BiG World Fixpack for BDToBv168 and found no matches except the BWP patches for Baldurdash itself.

On closer inspection, Baldurdash 1.73 didn't incorporate any new code for BG2 Fixpack compatibility, so I've removed it from BWS pre-selections until we update the BWP Fixpack patches for Baldurdash:

* Baldurdash 1.73:  Marked Expert pending update of BiG World Fixpack patches for BG2 Fixpack compatibility

Also:

* EET Tweaks:  file size updated to match latest release (1.2)

* BG2/BGT/BG2EE:  Added Kulyok's Reunion

Edited by agb1, 19 January 2016 - 02:14 PM.

#2509 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:59 PM

* BWS:  Select-Helper.au3 -- prevent crash if tag/theme number of an entry in Select.txt exceeds valid range
* BWS:  GUI.au3 -- increase vertical size of mod description box on selection-tree view by 10 pixels (extra line)

* Added: Sirene NPC v1 for BG:EE and EET, Neera Banters (pre-release) for BG:EE and EET, Multiclass Multikits (pre-release) for BG2/BGT/BGEE/BG2EE/EET, Gerris BGT NPC Portraits v3.0 for BG2EE

* Multiclass Multikits will be installed at the very end (after generalized biffing and all other mods) so it can be uninstalled or reinstalled manually at will.
* Updated download links to use GitHub latest-release lynxlynx "&pre" URL (which includes pre-releases) for Item Revisions v4, Spell Revisions v4, Neera Banters and Aran Whitehand
* Faiths and Powers moved to Expert pre-selection as it is still not publicly available for download

* Added:  White Agnus' Mur'Neth String Fixer (for German language only) for BG:EE, BGT, EET

* Added: Mulgore and Xavia NPCs for BG:EE and EET (BWFixpack'd by White Agnus)
* Added: Huple NPC for BG:EE and EET (BWFixpack'd by White Agnus)
* Added Gerris BGT NPC Portraits for BG:EE

Edited by agb1, 19 January 2016 - 09:10 PM.

#2510 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:42 AM

I have to report an oversight from my side with respect to warnings not-to-be-called-incompatibilities.

The Sandrah mod restores an original feature of the game even if the user selected a tweak to change it:

*Reveal Cloakwood area xxxx on worldmap* tweak is disabled since the mod contains a quest *Longer Road to Cloakwood/Henning's kidnapping* which requires you to visit the bandit camp before you get the knowledge about Cloakwood (just like in the original game). This quest fails if you visited Cloakwood before its time.

Sorry for the late notice.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#2511 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:55 AM

Incidentally, no game end on maze etc is a common spells tweak but not all players use spells tweaks. I could see wanting to use the EET Tweaks feature and RTF in the same install (if in the future RTF becomes available for EE).

OK back to square 1 - and not mix up completely different issues because they may sound similar.

In BGT there is a mod "Game over only on Party Death". With this mod the PC may go down to HP1 which causes him to get unselectable and unconcious. His party may fight on - if they win the battle, PC stands up again, gets healed and plays on. PC only dies when all party members have died.

This is the mod that was discussed in context with Sandrah RtF - since the original mod author had established his tweak as something caused by the PC's Bhaalpower and the author surely never foresaw a sequel of the game after ToB (where the Bhaalpower is lost), I found it legitimate to end this function when you go into RtF, it is even logical that the PC loses this type of protection.

All other functions/tweaks/mods that fiddle around with the PC dying/not dying are out of scope of these considerations and not to be mixed with it. And the mod discussed above is not even in EET.

I hope this clarification helps.

I have to report an oversight from my side with respect to warnings not-to-be-called-incompatibilities.

The Sandrah mod restores an original feature of the game even if the user selected a tweak to change it:

*Reveal Cloakwood area xxxx on worldmap* tweak is disabled since the mod contains a quest *Longer Road to Cloakwood/Henning's kidnapping* which requires you to visit the bandit camp before you get the knowledge about Cloakwood (just like in the original game). This quest fails if you visited Cloakwood before its time.

In addition I found an independent solution for the various mods keeping the game running after PC death that works for RtF without any impact on other mods - so any warning/hint etc on that topic can as well be removed from BWS. RtF is now scripted such, that during that mod the game ends when one of the two main character dies and this has no impact on the gameplay for all other portions of the game.

Edited by Roxanne, 20 January 2016 - 03:01 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#2512 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:06 AM

Does your tweak take care of both BG1NPC and BG2 Tweaks?

BG1NPC:
@29=Cloakwood areas availability in Chapter One -> Open Cloakwood Lodge (first Cloakwood area only)
@30=Cloakwood areas availability in Chapter One -> Open four Cloakwood areas (everything but the Mines)

BG2_Tweaks:
@1035=Make Cloakwood Areas Available Before Completing the Bandit Camp -> First Area Only
@1036=Make Cloakwood Areas Available Before Completing the Bandit Camp -> All of Cloakwood Except the Mines

#2513 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:15 AM

Does your tweak take care of both BG1NPC and BG2 Tweaks?

BG1NPC:
@29=Cloakwood areas availability in Chapter One -> Open Cloakwood Lodge (first Cloakwood area only)
@30=Cloakwood areas availability in Chapter One -> Open four Cloakwood areas (everything but the Mines)

BG2_Tweaks:
@1035=Make Cloakwood Areas Available Before Completing the Bandit Camp -> First Area Only
@1036=Make Cloakwood Areas Available Before Completing the Bandit Camp -> All of Cloakwood Except the Mines

I use a general script, regardless of the mod which mod tries to show the Cloakwood, so it covers all four you quote. (I do not look for the mod but HideArea until it is revealed in Tazok's tent, like it should).

Edited by Roxanne, 20 January 2016 - 06:17 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#2514 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:17 AM

* Added conflict warning for Sandrah in combination with "open Cloakwood early" tweaks

* BG2EE:  Switched Ascension download link to GitHub Latest Release instead of master branch

Edited by agb1, 20 January 2016 - 07:08 AM.

#2515 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:45 AM

Edit - added:

Candidates for Recommended status:

- NPC Strongholds

- Keto NPC

- Valerie NPC

- Nephele NPC

- Varshoon NPC

- Petsy Chattertone NPC

- Almateria's Restoration Project

- Lol's RezMod (http://www.shsforums...92-lols-rezmod/)

- Infinity Sounds

- Difficulty and Tweak mod (https://forums.beamd...tweak-mod-ver-7) -- just the item stacking tweaks, not the harder enemies

- EET Tweaks #6 - adjust XP rewards for traps, spells, lockpicking -> vanilla progressive table, starts at BG1 values, grows to BG2 values

EET Tweaks #7 - adjust XP for quests and for killing creatures (same as Ding0's Experience Fixer but more comprehensive implementation (patches additional file types)

EET Tweaks #11 - increase FPS to 45 and fix audio skipping in cutscenes

- Trap Revisions

- Wild Mage Additions

- Item Randomiser

- A Mod for the Orderly (keyring for sale from Mira at Waukeen's Promenade)

- igi's Key Names

- Pack Mule

- Eilistraae's Song

Edited by agb1, 20 January 2016 - 09:23 AM.

#2516 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:01 AM

Candidates for Recommended status:

- NPC Strongholds

- Keto NPC

- Valerie NPC

- Nephele NPC

- EET Tweaks

- Pack Mule

YES (based on having used them in the game)

with the following remarks

- There was a small issue with Valerie if you use her in BGT - she does not leave the party during BG2 transition (this could be easily fixpacked). - With such a fix added it would be YES

- EET Tweaks assessment should be on component level - also depends on how it is combined with other tweaks. Only applicable for EET and not yet finished. Too early for a yes.

I have not played Almateria yet.- so no vote.

Edited by Roxanne, 20 January 2016 - 09:01 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#2517 White Agnus

White Agnus
  • Modder
  • 76 posts

Donator

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:25 AM

* Added:  White Agnus' Mur'Neth String Fixer (for German language only) for BG:EE, BGT, EET

Only wanted to let you know, that the fix is not needed, if the fixpack applied the iconv patch to Mur'Neth... (and there is no BGT compatibility, the fix only searchs for the ANSI strings in the tlk and replaces them with UTF8-without BoM strings) ;)

#2518 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:17 AM

I wouldn't have something like a FPS tweak be a "recommended" option. Very subjective preference. But I agree with Roxanne about the ones she mentioned, they are great.

Also, the difficulty mod, what does the item stacking component do? I generally use the BG2Tweaks item stacking component (missile ammo to 80, more scroll/gem stacking, but *not* more potion stacking)... is there a reason to use that new and less-tested mod instead of the old standby BG2Tweaks?

#2519 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:44 AM

I think Difficulty and Tweak mod is well tested (it has been part of the standard pre-selection for a while now).  It allows percentage several choices for stacking whereas BG2 Tweaks just allows unlimited stacking.  It seems to me that unlimited stacking sometimes feels a bit excessive, but it's really personal preference so let's just leave that one alone for now.  I also noticed that BG2 Tweaks' unlimited stacking variants were not enabled by default; since I think most would agree that the default stacking limits are too low and we don't have a third option for this tweak, I will mark the BG2 Tweaks unlimited stacking components as Recommended for now.

#2520 Fouinto

Fouinto
  • 458 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:53 AM

Yes of course for this one :

Why not for those :

- EET Tweaks #6 - adjust XP rewards for traps, spells, lockpicking -> vanilla progressive table, starts at BG1 values, grows to BG2 values
- EET Tweaks #7 - adjust XP for quests and for killing creatures (same as Ding0's Experience Fixer but more comprehensive implementation (patches additional file types)
- EET Tweaks #11 - increase FPS to 45 and fix audio skipping in cutscenes
- igi's Key Names

And about Mule... there were SO MUCH problems (crashs) with this mod... is this mod safe now ?
I remember a lot of posts here about animation related crash and this mod (even if installed with BWS).

No opinion for others.