Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#2601 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:36 AM

Find out! Open Drizzt.cre in Near Infinity, look at its Small Portrait and Large Portrait fields to find the portraitname, and then run a --change-log (or just a file search) for portraitname.bmp

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#2602 dady977

dady977
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:14 AM

Dady, unfortunately I am out of ideas for salvaging your current installation.  I suggest you start again with the updated BWS (to get the latest Tome and Blood), avoid Lolfixer, Resource Fixer and NPC Kit Pack, and pause periodically during the install to test if you can still start the game.  Mods that affect character generation are typically portraits and kits, so I'd be suspicious of those, particularly as you've included some that are still pre-release.

One other thing:  I suggest using Near Infinity to search your original game for neera11.cre -- as it has been absent later in your installations (or at least missing from chitin.key, the file that contains the index of resource file locations in biffs), it would be nice to confirm that you at least have it in the original files.

Thanks, I will try this.

#2603 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:47 AM

Thanks. I will patch pcvamp tomorrow. Seems ohtyr.2da was already in your game files - I didn't think it was included with BG2EE.

pcvamp is patched.

According to EET Tweaks readme, the Priest of Tyr kit is also present in BG2:EE Dorn's questline.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

#2604 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:51 AM

Find out! Open Drizzt.cre in Near Infinity, look at its Small Portrait and Large Portrait fields to find the portraitname, and then run a --change-log (or just a file search) for portraitname.bmp

Thanks agb1! I have found this portrait files in Sandrah's folder :rolleyes:

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#2605 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:02 AM

Thanks agb1! I have found this portrait files in Sandrah's folder :rolleyes:

Sandrah uses this portrait to make a consistent Drizzt out of the many she interacts with

However, it may as well be overwritten by a later portrait mod.

If it is this one that offended you, poor spiders, here I come.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#2606 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:32 AM

Sandrah uses this portrait to make a consistent Drizzt out of the many she interacts with
I am all for Drizzt being consistent, but would not it make sense to have him use portrait correctly picturing him as being a drow, like this one for example, he is canon after all ;)

Edited by Creepin, 26 January 2016 - 07:36 AM.

#2607 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:40 AM

I am all for Drizzt being consistent, but it would also make sense to have him use portrait correctly picturing him as being a drow, like this one for example, he is canon after all ;)

The issue here is not so much the portrait but the consistency.

If you play through the game with Sandrah you will meet a minimum of six Drizzts from the vanilla game and various mods,,,each one with a different portrait.

So step 1 was to assign the same portrait name to all those Drizzts to make him unique.

Step 2 was to find a portrait that is available in the sizes required (the vanilla Drizzt only has a small portrait) as some Drizzt may join your party.

Step 3 was to provide a default portrait, just in case you had none matching the unique name.

You can select anyone you want, call it drtsu05m AND Drtsu05s respectively and all the Drizzts you meet will at least look the same. And if you want to recommend any, take the EE format into account as well

The Sandrah Saga

#2608 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:41 AM

I am all for Drizzt being consistent, but it would also make sense to have him use portrait correctly picturing him as being a drow, like this one for example, he is canon after all ;)

That picture is totally unnatural, almost as bad as the other Google Drizzt picture it gives:
3523lh0.jpg :ROFL: But then again, I am hookes

Edited by The Imp, 26 January 2016 - 07:45 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#2609 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:53 AM

I mean no offence Roxanne, downloaded your mod and looking some of the art ( among other things ) and noticed that Sandrah change many portraits, they are generally fine, but I'm perfectly happy with Bioware portraits of Jaheira and Branwen ( her portrait is nice but Cattie Bri already use the same in one of Drizzt big mods ), Imoen is very lovely but her portrait is the same like Allison one day NPC, Chloe is kensai and her blonde portrait is armoured like templar on crusade and so on. I hope you won't consider it rude if I ask that some of it be optional...

#2610 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:08 AM

I mean no offence Roxanne, downloaded your mod and looking some of the art ( among other things ) and noticed that Sandrah change many portraits, they are generally fine, but I'm perfectly happy with Bioware portraits of Jaheira and Branwen ( her portrait is nice but Cattie Bri already use the same in one of Drizzt big mods ), Imoen is very lovely but her portrait is the same like Allison one day NPC, Chloe is kensai and her blonde portrait is armoured like templar on crusade and so on. I hope you won't consider it rude if I ask that some of it be optional...
Now that you mentioned it... when generating a party I did noticed that some of the vanilla PC portraits selection were changed totally, some - partially (only some sizes). Is it possible to be done by Sandrah as well?

Edited by Creepin, 26 January 2016 - 08:09 AM.

#2611 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:13 AM

The point is that Sandrah is not a portrait mod nor tries to be one - it is about a consistent story through the trilogy and beyond. A number of characters NPCs  appear through the whole game and a number of them from different mods and looking different each time.

Even such characters like Imoen or Jaheira come with a different face if you have all the mods installed that Sandrah supports, and e.g Chloe is no longer maintained....etc

So what to do.

Like I said - give all their various incarnations the same portrait indication in cre file is one thing,

The other is to provide something when this one is not present. These ones were the best choices I could find, but anyone can make their own choice, portraits are really a matter of personal taste,

The Sandrah Saga

#2612 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:15 AM

Now that you mentioned it... when generating a party I did noticed that some of the vanilla PC portraits selection were changed totally, some - partially (only some sizes). Is it possible to be done by Sandrah as well?

To tell you the truth, don't know exactly, but there are many mods that change and add portraits in game. Which ones, I cannot tell you for certain ( Paint is one of them ), as I'm just started to look big tweaks mods on BWP guide. Portrait and graphical mods are yet far, far away...

#2613 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:27 AM

To tell you the truth, don't know exactly, but there are many mods that change and add portraits in game. Which ones, I cannot tell you for certain ( Paint is one of them ), as I'm just started to look big tweaks mods on BWP guide. Portrait and graphical mods are yet far, far away...

Just to make it clear once more

Sandrah is not assigning portraits at large scale - the 8 or 10 that are affected are those that otherwise would come with different faces in their various incarnations - None of the portrait mods I found so far seems to correct this, they replace the vanilla ones but not all of the variations of the same character that appear in other parts of the game. If someone has a solution for it, that would be helpful, I really DISLIKE to deal with portraits and even more I dislike to dispute about them - however they look as long as they are consistent, that is fine.

The Sandrah Saga

#2614 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:50 AM

Sandrah is not assigning portraits at large scale - the 8 or 10 that are affected are those that otherwise would come with different faces in their various incarnations - None of the portrait mods I found so far seems to correct this, they replace the vanilla ones but not all of the variations of the same character that appear in other parts of the game. If someone has a solution for it, that would be helpful, I really DISLIKE to deal with portraits and even more I dislike to dispute about them - however they look as long as they are consistent, that is fine.

Ok, that is your call, but it would be helpful if you could tell which portraits your mod changed, just in case if someone want something else. So far I found Finch (liked that one), Shar-Teel ( little too goth, not that Bioware picture is more feminine, mind you  :P ), Sarah, Jaheira, Mazzy, Imoen, Nalia, Aerie( this one is treasure, definitely keeping it ), Dynaheir, Chloe, Coran and Skie ( this one is maybe from Lava's mod, but I definitely liked Bioware more).  

#2615 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:11 AM

Ok, that is your call, but it would be helpful if you could tell which portraits your mod changed, just in case if someone want something else. So far I found Finch (liked that one), Shar-Teel ( little too goth, not that Bioware picture is more feminine, mind you  :P ), Sarah, Jaheira, Mazzy, Imoen, Nalia, Aerie( this one is treasure, definitely keeping it ), Dynaheir, Chloe, Coran and Skie ( this one is maybe from Lava's mod, but I definitely liked Bioware more).  

Finch is from the original mod (she came with this and an alternate) - the problem here is that I used her as starting point for a large quest in Sandrah without recognising that she was a mod NPC, She always was in all of my games and I mistook her for naturally being there before it was too late. So I had to make a strawman Finch for the case she was not installed and that is why the portrait is there,

Sarah and Mazzy may be removed - I forgot the reason why they are there.

Shar-Teel is about as difficult as Drizzt (she is introduced by at least 3 different mods, different cre and all)

The rest of them have that consistency problem I already tried to describe.

My current approach is this

- Sandrah for BGT will be withdrawn in a couple of days anyway, as the final technical issue with EET has just been resolved for me.

- Further development and contents will go into the EET version.

- EET already provides much more consitency for all NPCs by making the game truely continuos. Many problems that had to be adressed by a BGT mod are resolved, i.e most of those portrait issues will not appear in EET anymore

- All the *lessons learned* from BGT will go into the EET version.

- Keeping BGT and EET Sandrah alive is simply not possible, as those are different games altogether, so one of them must be given up now.

The Sandrah Saga

#2616 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:14 AM

1. We want tweaks that make NPCs with different portrait filenames for different copies of the NPC (e.g., NPCs appear in both BG1 and BG2) use a consistent portrait filename for all copies.  These tweaks should be optional because we might want NPCs in BG2 to use "slightly aged" variants of the original BG1 portraits, for example.  BG1NPCs and Lol's RezMod include patches like this for the original Bioware NPCs (i.e., not actually changing introducing new portrait files, just patching cre files for all copies of each NPC to point to the same portrait filename - BG1NPCs sets them to use the BG1 portrait files - Lol's RezMod sets them to use the BG2 portrait files).

2. We want consistency across mods that add portrait filenames to NPCs that didn't have a portrait in the original game.  Since Sandrah sets portrait filenames for Drizzt, I suggest setting them to DrizztS.bmp and DrizztL.bmp.  If Sandrah also patches some of the Bioware NPCs that did have portrait files already assigned, please move those patches into a separate component (either a component for each NPC - most flexible - or a single component to patch the same set of NPCs that BG1NPCs covers -- Edwin, Imoen, Jaheira, Minsc, Viconia, plus separate components for patching other NPCs).  We can then add conflict rules in BWS to advise users of the conflict/overlap between Sandrah's version of this tweak and the ones from BG1NPC or Lol's RezMod.

3. We want mods that add or replace portrait files (the actual images) to do so in separate components so that we can choose which portraits we want to use without having to rely on installation order / last-one-wins.  Since Sandrah provides portraits for several NPCs, including NPCs that have original portraits, I suggest these new portrait files be moved into separate components (not the same as the "use consistent portrait" tweak components from point #2).  We can then add Sandrah's portrait choices to the conflict rules in BWS that advise users to choose one portrait for each NPC.

Edit:  I was in the middle of writing this when Roxanne posted above me.  In view of that post, I guess that #2 for the original NPCs may be covered by EET, but for mod NPCs that Sandrah patches for continuity, I still recommend this approach.

Edited by agb1, 26 January 2016 - 09:16 AM.

#2617 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:23 AM

- Sandrah for BGT will be withdrawn in a couple of days anyway, as the final technical issue with EET has just been resolved for me.

- EET already provides much more consitency for all NPCs by making the game truely continuos. Many problems that had to be adressed by a BGT mod are resolved, i.e most of those portrait issues will not appear in EET anymore

- Keeping BGT and EET Sandrah alive is simply not possible, as those are different games altogether, so one of them must be given up now.

You will kill Sandrah BGT:crying:  Will you at least leave latest BGT beta? 

#2618 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:42 AM

I am not killing her, I will just not develop her further.

The beta and also my support for it will continue to be available.

There will just be no major changes for her anymore, bugfixing will continue as far as it also affects her EET branch.

You may want to look at this http://www.shsforums...-50#entry586148

The Sandrah Saga

#2619 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:56 AM

I am not killing her, I will just not develop her further.

The beta and also my support for it will continue to be available.

There will just be no major changes for her anymore, bugfixing will continue as far as it also affects her EET branch.

You may want to look at this http://www.shsforums...-50#entry586148

That is relief. Good luck with her and I hope you will be in mood to answer my ceaseless questions when I start to bombard you about her. :)  

#2620 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:50 AM

As you can read from here, the B!tweaks_lite version is actually the full version, just with quoted out content, so could you restore those options so there would be more options in BWS ?

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.