Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#4661 golgoth

golgoth
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:00 PM

Is the IWDEE part of BWS updated with latest/best mods actually available?

#4662 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:03 PM

Meaning exactly what ?

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#4663 golgoth

golgoth
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:06 PM

Meaning that if i choose IWDEE the BWS modlist for it is complete, updated and working.

#4664 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:31 PM

Meaning that if i choose IWDEE the BWS modlist for it is complete, updated and working.

Yes

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#4665 -Perkele1-

-Perkele1-

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:18 PM

Hmm this is odd. I followed the link Roxanne (http://www.shsforums...ll/#entry599692) and then tried to fix this by removing the Big World Install.bat before install starts. Well, it seems to continue the install just fine now indeed buuuut.....

Now the mods can't find tobex, so all components get skipped regarding it. But tobex is installed properly, no errors and no warnings, just at the beginning as it should be. It's just that the other mods can't see it. I suspect big world install.bat usually moves some files about to fix this? And now when it's not used, this happens. Well. What can I do about this?

#4666 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:25 PM

Hmm this is odd. I followed the link Roxanne (http://www.shsforums...ll/#entry599692) and then tried to fix this by removing the Big World Install.bat before install starts. Well, it seems to continue the install just fine now indeed buuuut.....

Now the mods can't find tobex, so all components get skipped regarding it. But tobex is installed properly, no errors and no warnings, just at the beginning as it should be. It's just that the other mods can't see it. I suspect big world install.bat usually moves some files about to fix this? And now when it's not used, this happens. Well. What can I do about this?

Just look around the forum for posts like the above. BWPv17 is a good search term.

(This is why BGT is labelled as *not maintained*, some users provide their insights but that is about all.)

The Sandrah Saga

#4667 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:54 PM

http://www.shsforums...ll/#entry599692

Do you anticipate the Fixpack or Textpack will be updated for that, or will people have to manually grab these files from now on?
Nihilism makes me smile.

#4668 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:26 AM

http://www.shsforums...ll/#entry599692

Do you anticipate the Fixpack or Textpack will be updated for that, or will people have to manually grab these files from now on?

Sorry, this is BWP, not to be confused with BWS.

The Sandrah Saga

#4669 -Perkele1-

-Perkele1-

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:42 AM

Thanks Roxanne. Yeah I've searched quite a bit on this now. It seems nobody has mentioned this anywhere. Are there any known issues with tobex in BWS atm? I mean regarding why other mods can't see it. I'm completely stumped here.

#4670 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:00 PM

Meaning exactly what ?

Yes

Hih hihihiihihihi. In a very large portion of the world, you said yes, to a question you couldn't know to be sure of. What if there's a beta of a mod that hasn't been officially published, but it's there ... while it's not in BWS.

Edited by The Imp, 07 February 2018 - 12:01 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#4671 TheNecromancer

TheNecromancer
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:12 PM

Noob question, But if i select expert componet for my BG1:EE and BG2:EE  and go to investigate dependencies, I see a lot of mods auto deactivated. Is it that way because of incompatibility? 

#4672 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:32 PM

Noob question, But if i select expert componet for my BG1:EE and BG2:EE  and go to investigate dependencies, I see a lot of mods auto deactivated. Is it that way because of incompatibility? 
No, you are meant to opt things in, rather than out...

#4673 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:42 PM

Do you mean *not pre-selected* or do you mean *deactivated* in the sense that they are not shown and you are not able to select them for inclusion?

The Sandrah Saga

#4674 TheNecromancer

TheNecromancer
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:16 PM

Do you mean *not pre-selected* or do you mean *deactivated* in the sense that they are not shown and you are not able to select them for inclusion?

Not pre-selected. I set my main level to expert before browsing. Then when i went  to choose for my own components, it seemed that a lot of random mods weren't selected to begin with. Some were recommended, Some were i think maximized? But yeah. For instance, if i were to select expert setting  right below the path of my two directories in the beginning, Region  of Terror would turned off in the list of big mods.

#4675 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:43 PM

Not pre-selected. I set my main level to expert before browsing. Then when i went  to choose for my own components, it seemed that a lot of random mods weren't selected to begin with. Some were recommended, Some were i think maximized? But yeah. For instance, if i were to select expert setting  right below the path of my two directories in the beginning, Region  of Terror would turned off in the list of big mods.

Many mods have only recently become available for EE/EET. Maybe you used BWS before on classic games. All these pre-selections and categories do not make much sense anymore, the whole classification is outdated. The problem with BWS old software is that you cannot get rid of these features today.

My advice is to ignore all these pre-settings and make your own choice, Fine tune the selection with the dependencies and conflicts, those are valid and reliable.

PS - This is my personal opinion about what BWS can do today. I would very much prefer to get rid of all the selection options and just have the list of available mods for your game and you do your picks, then BWS tells you about problems, you sort them out and go install.

The Sandrah Saga

#4676 Quorwyf

Quorwyf
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:59 PM

Is there a way to get rid of all of the old movies?

#4677 clw2147

clw2147
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:09 AM

hello, i'm new to using BWS and was wondering if there was a way to export my mod selection to use on multiple computers? i have 3 systems that i'm putting installations on and i want to make sure they all have the same setup(for local network multiplayer games)

#4678 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:54 AM

hello, i'm new to using BWS and was wondering if there was a way to export my mod selection to use on multiple computers? i have 3 systems that i'm putting installations on and i want to make sure they all have the same setup(for local network multiplayer games)

In "Chose mods and components" mode of BWS under "options" dropdown menu there's "export selection to file" and "import selection from file" options. But why bother with that when you could install BWS once and then simply copy resulting game folder to the rest of your PCs? That would be much more stable than trying to install BWS several times.

Edited by Creepin, 08 February 2018 - 12:55 AM.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#4679 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:01 AM

If you do that with classic game, you can just copy the whole modded game folder. Then for each PC you need to adjust the game paths in baldur.ini to the respective path on that PC.

With EE it may depend on where and how you did the install (steam, gog, bean dogs). I have made my installs into a directory I fully control and do not use their clients but the baldur.exe directly. No problem to just use copies.

Another possibility is to use DLC - you need to google around to see how that works, it seems to be designed for multiplayer intentions but I never used it myself.

You can try to create identical installs by using the same BWS settings various times, but chances are thin, just one single mod download failing or having been updated between two independent installs and you have different games - this may or may not lead to issues. BWS supports it by letting you export your selection and import it on the other PC but it may not be the best option here.

Edited by Roxanne, 08 February 2018 - 01:05 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#4680 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:51 AM

You can try to create identical installs by using the same BWS settings various times, but chances are thin, just one single mod download failing or having been updated between two independent installs and you have different games - this may or may not lead to issues. BWS supports it by letting you export your selection and import it on the other PC but it may not be the best option here.

Also several mods use customized randomization, which can bork your game even if it is "identical" in the weidu.log file, as the randomseed is determined during each install.
So the copy'ing is actually the best way to make sure that this doesn't alter a thing as they will be identical from a copy.

Also Roxanne is talking about argent77's "DLC Builder" from here. For anyone that doesn't have that link.

Edited by The Imp, 08 February 2018 - 01:58 AM.