Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#4721 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:16 AM

I think it makes sense to change the usage in Fixpack now as the quick and easy solution, but Weidu should also deprecate the command as well in the long run.

But the commands have specific use case... DON*T use the wrong one. Simple ?!?
As you can read from Mike's post in the above-linked thread. This post. Did you even read that post ?!? Pretty sure you didn't.

Or do you wish to reduce the weidu's usability ... go ahead, but modders will dislike every bit of &%#%¤#45r you are.

While there's no arguing that Fixpack should have used correct command, there's an outstanding separate issue that mods were working and now they don't. That simple. That bad.

Which is why I posted this. If people would take one post up the %&/¤ and actually cared about mods that do the wrong thing, we could solve this all by POSTING BUG THREADS ! 

Notice a bug. Crush the bugs, kill it. Simple ? Much like, "Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean."

Edited by The Imp, 13 February 2018 - 11:30 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#4722 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:35 AM

@enderandrew

You can't really deprecate anything in weidu because 'old mods might use it and they will be broken'. Or change something because 'old mods might use it and they will be broken'. And if this would not be enough, some mods cannot be updated at all. So with every weidu breaking change, the amount of BWFxipack will increase not because the mod code itself but because breaking changes. That's a road to nowhere.  

You cannot deprecate a command that is needed without providing a function that does the same.

FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME and FILE_EXISTS check for completely different things and are not interchangeable. I just had to open tp2 of two of my mods to see them both used for specific checks where changing one for the other would lead to different results.

Those are simple facts.

FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME means that the file is in use by the game, it is compiled and available etc.

FILE_EXISTS will also find files that are in e.g. in a mod directory even if that file is not used in game, maybe because it has some condition attached to it (like ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME). If that condition is false and the action was never executed, my search for FILE_EXISTS will nevertheless find it but my search for FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME will not >>> which is exactly the result I may want in one case or the other.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#4723 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:44 AM

deleting my post now that I'm seeing an update on the other forums

Edited by enderandrew, 13 February 2018 - 11:48 AM.

Nihilism makes me smile.

#4724 Fouinto

Fouinto
  • 458 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:08 PM

<joke>

This fix of weidu remind me this : every change breaks someone's workflow

I hope you like it as much as I do :)

</joke>

#4725 -Vince-

-Vince-

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:28 AM

Hi everyone, I don't know if this this the right place to post this. I'm a french player and I discovered the big world setup a few days ago. It works fine but I have a little problem: I would like to play with a shapeshifter. As the original shapeshifter isn't that good, I wanted to use a mod that enhances his abilities. I play with the refinements revised high level abilities, but when I use the shapeshiting fix from the same mod I got some issues: when I try to become a werewolf, after two seconds I become a bear with no werewolf abilities. Same thing for the greater werewolf. It only works fine when I take the HLA feral spirit from refinement, but I don't want to play almost the whole game without shapeshifting. I can't use the tweaks anthology shapeshifting fix because it creates symbolic paws, and the feral sprit HLA from refinement is then useless. So the only option that should work is to use the stratagems shapeshifting fix (I play with stratagems anyway) but this fix does not appear in the list! When I run the big world setup, the shapeshitping fix is in none of the three stratagems lists, is that normal? was it removed?
Vince

#4726 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:38 AM

Which version of the game are you using ? EE or non-EE.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#4727 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:38 AM

Hi everyone, I don't know if this this the right place to post this. I'm a french player and I discovered the big world setup a few days ago. It works fine but I have a little problem: I would like to play with a shapeshifter. As the original shapeshifter isn't that good, I wanted to use a mod that enhances his abilities. I play with the refinements revised high level abilities, but when I use the shapeshiting fix from the same mod I got some issues: when I try to become a werewolf, after two seconds I become a bear with no werewolf abilities. Same thing for the greater werewolf. It only works fine when I take the HLA feral spirit from refinement, but I don't want to play almost the whole game without shapeshifting. I can't use the tweaks anthology shapeshifting fix because it creates symbolic paws, and the feral sprit HLA from refinement is then useless. So the only option that should work is to use the stratagems shapeshifting fix (I play with stratagems anyway) but this fix does not appear in the list! When I run the big world setup, the shapeshitping fix is in none of the three stratagems lists, is that normal? was it removed?
Vince

Is this EE game or classic game, which part of it do you install?

The Sandrah Saga

#4728 -Vince-

-Vince-

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:43 AM

I'm playing both EE games with the EE trilogy mod. I run the big world setup in my bg2ee folder

#4729 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:14 AM

I'm playing both EE games with the EE trilogy mod. I run the big world setup in my bg2ee folder

The thing you are missing is this

SCS

@4030=Improved shapeshifting ?

This has been disabled in EE due to this

http://gibberlings3....=27681&p=240795

PS - It is not recommended to run the BWS from a game folder. Best give it an own directory as it will download mods and do other operations you do not want to have inside the game!!

Edited by Roxanne, 16 February 2018 - 04:34 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#4730 -Vince-

-Vince-

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:03 AM

Ok thank you for the quick answers! I will try to do a clean installation without the big world setup in the same folder, maybe the shapeshifting fix from refinements will work properly this time  :)

#4731 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:21 AM

The issue with the Shapshifting spells mentioned above is that as the game has two forms of Shapshifting/Polymorph from the same opcode, one "make the caster the creature temporarily", while the other just reforms the avatar without editing the character stats.. those stats then can and "need" to be added to another effect, items etc. The the first also has the downside that as none of those creatures can cast spells, they diable the druids natural casting ability. Which is what Vince probably wanted the SCS component.

#4732 -Vince-

-Vince-

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:08 AM

So you think I should install the symbolic paws from anthology tweaks rather than the refinements shapeshifting fix? the symbolic paws are good, maybe even a little OP (as I play with stratagems maybe it's not that OP) but then the feral spirit HLA from refinement is useless, that is why I didn't want t use it

#4733 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:12 PM

I hate the symbolic paws.

Someone else did a shapeshifter rebalancing mod fairly recently, I think it's here on SHS. Migbt be worth trying.

My own mod Faiths & Powers re-envisions the Shapeshifter as a self-experimenting 'Dr. Moreau' type that begins with merely partisl transformation (just claws) and then adds werewolf forms, including a more powerful form for use in the late game. May or may not be to your liking. I think that kit (the 'Beast Lord') can be installed without the sphere system or anything else. No French translation though.

#4734 -Vince-

-Vince-

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:53 PM

I did a clean installation and this time the refinements shapeshifting fix worked, I don't have issues anymore, I did a few tests using the clua console. I will take Cernd as a shapeshifter in this play, and next time I will try a new installation with more mods and I'll test yout faiths & powers. No need for french translation, i run the game in english anyway, that's how I learn english^^

#4735 Quorwyf

Quorwyf
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:15 AM

I was attempting to remove some things from my EET setup and when I checked progress this morning I found that weidu ended on out of memory errors. I closed the message then restarted Windows. When I attempted to view the weidu.log it was blank and the few setups that I tried seemed to not detect themselves as installed. Is there a way to recover from this?

#4736 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:45 AM

I was attempting to remove some things from my EET setup and when I checked progress this morning I found that weidu ended on out of memory errors. I closed the message then restarted Windows. When I attempted to view the weidu.log it was blank and the few setups that I tried seemed to not detect themselves as installed. Is there a way to recover from this?

I am afraid there is no recovery anymore due to your windows restart. If you ever see that *out of memory* (was it with SCS?), leave SCS open and check these forums for the guides about what to do.

With your current state all that is left to do is to delete this attempt.

The Sandrah Saga

#4737 Quorwyf

Quorwyf
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:43 AM

Any tips on avoiding another memory error? Do I need to avoid doing other stuff or something?

...And since it looks like i'll be redoing BWS, Is there a way to add mods that aren't a part of BWS to the BGEE part of the setup?

Edited by Quorwyf, 17 February 2018 - 05:48 AM.

#4738 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:57 AM

Any tips on avoiding another memory error? Do I need to avoid doing other stuff or something?

...And since it looks like i'll be redoing BWS, Is there a way to add mods that aren't a part of BWS to the BGEE part of the setup?

There are various hints you find in this forum about increasing memory etc. Just search for them.

My own experience is to pause BWS before SCS starts (with a right click option in the BWS mod selection screen. When it pauses, I do the BWS install by hand doing one component I want at a time only. When I have it all, I continue BWS.

As for adding things, just give an example, I may tell you what to do.

The Sandrah Saga

#4739 Quorwyf

Quorwyf
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:03 AM

There are various hints you find in this forum about increasing memory etc. Just search for them.

My own experience is to pause BWS before SCS starts (with a right click option in the BWS mod selection screen. When it pauses, I do the BWS install by hand doing one component I want at a time only. When I have it all, I continue BWS.

As for adding things, just give an example, I may tell you what to do.

I was thinking of adding W packmule and maybe eldritch magic...and Tome and Blood now that I think of it.

Edited by Quorwyf, 17 February 2018 - 07:10 AM.

#4740 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:14 AM

I was thinking of adding W packmule and maybe eldritch magic...and Tome and Blood now that I think of it.
Then install them manually at the end.