Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#4741 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:25 AM

There are various hints you find in this forum about increasing memory etc. Just search for them.

My own experience is to pause BWS before SCS starts (with a right click option in the BWS mod selection screen. When it pauses, I do the BWS install by hand doing one component I want at a time only. When I have it all, I continue BWS.

As for adding things, just give an example, I may tell you what to do.

I was thinking of adding W packmule and maybe eldritch magic...and Tome and Blood now that I think of it.

Packmule does not work for EE due to the graphics (on top of the bugs it has per se).

Not all of the eldricht components work in EE, the ones that work only effect BG2EE, that is why it is only in BG2EE and EET selections.

Tome and Blood IS in BGEE selection.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#4742 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:42 AM

Any tips on avoiding another memory error? Do I need to avoid doing other stuff or something?
Your computer is not running out of memory. Weidu is specifically. It has file limits of how many files it can open, and as a 32-bit process it is limited to 2 GB of memory. It often errors on out on SCS.

Your options are to not include SCS, only include a few components of SCS, or attempt some sort of work around.

The Weidu devs don't seem to have any interest in trying to make a 64-bit version of Weidu to fix this, nor to keep it 32-bit but patch it to allow it to use 4 GB of RAM. The SCS modders could in theory try to rewrite their mod to be more efficient.

When I try my next install, I'm going to let BWS download Weidu and all the mods, but then stop it. Then I'm going to apply the 4 GB patch to Weidu. http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

BWS will probably say Weidu doesn't match the checksum it is expecting, I'll tell it to ignore it and then let it proceed with the patched Weidu and see what happens.
Nihilism makes me smile.

#4743 Quorwyf

Quorwyf
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:02 AM

There are various hints you find in this forum about increasing memory etc. Just search for them.

My own experience is to pause BWS before SCS starts (with a right click option in the BWS mod selection screen. When it pauses, I do the BWS install by hand doing one component I want at a time only. When I have it all, I continue BWS.

As for adding things, just give an example, I may tell you what to do.

I was thinking of adding W packmule and maybe eldritch magic...and Tome and Blood now that I think of it.

Packmule does not work for EE due to the graphics (on top of the bugs it has per se).

Not all of the eldricht components work in EE, the ones that work only effect BG2EE, that is why it is only in BG2EE and EET selections.

I tried installing Eldritch on EET previously and it gave version errors so I thought it had to be added to BGEE.

I don't see Tome and Blood in the EET selection.

#4744 Quorwyf

Quorwyf
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:06 AM

Any tips on avoiding another memory error? Do I need to avoid doing other stuff or something?
Your computer is not running out of memory. Weidu is specifically. It has file limits of how many files it can open, and as a 32-bit process it is limited to 2 GB of memory. It often errors on out on SCS.

Your options are to not include SCS, only include a few components of SCS, or attempt some sort of work around.

The Weidu devs don't seem to have any interest in trying to make a 64-bit version of Weidu to fix this, nor to keep it 32-bit but patch it to allow it to use 4 GB of RAM. The SCS modders could in theory try to rewrite their mod to be more efficient.

When I try my next install, I'm going to let BWS download Weidu and all the mods, but then stop it. Then I'm going to apply the 4 GB patch to Weidu. http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

BWS will probably say Weidu doesn't match the checksum it is expecting, I'll tell it to ignore it and then let it proceed with the patched Weidu and see what happens.

I made CFF explorer a permanent part of my Windows installs thanks to DA:O and TES. I may try using it on Weidu as well. Is there a particular prompt I should watch for to know when to try it?

The memory error is particularly annoying to me as I was waiting for it but I was able to complete removing Item Rev's weapon tweaks and repatch all the way to the end and only saw errors on the UI repatching. Then I tried to remove scales of balance and got that error.

Edited by Quorwyf, 17 February 2018 - 09:08 AM.

#4745 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:34 AM

I tried installing Eldritch on EET previously and it gave version errors so I thought it had to be added to BGEE.

I am confused, you sometimes talk of BGEE and now of EET?

To be clear, EET is a mod that installs on BG2EE, it *imports* the BGEE resources that BWS has modded for it, This is done in one install. You tell BWS that you want to install EET and you tell it where your BGEE and your BG2EE directories are. You do not install mods separately. BWS will put the right mod in the right game and afterwards merge them.

And, Tome and Blood is available for BGEE - like I said - but not compatible with EET

The Sandrah Saga

#4746 Quorwyf

Quorwyf
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:46 AM

I am confused, you sometimes talk of BGEE and now of EET?

To be clear, EET is a mod that installs on BG2EE, it *imports* the BGEE resources that BWS has modded for it, This is done in one install. You tell BWS that you want to install EET and you tell it where your BGEE and your BG2EE directories are. You do not install mods separately. BWS will put the right mod in the right game and afterwards merge them.

And, Tome and Blood is available for BGEE - like I said - but not compatible with EET

I've been doing setup for EET. I brought up BGEE because I am aware that some mods install to BGEE then get merged. On a previous install I attempted to set both Eldritch and Tome & Blood up in EET(BG2EE) after BWS and Tome would only set up 2 components (cantrips and another that I forget) while Eldritch seemed to look for BG2EE but gave an error mentioning my version.

Edited by Quorwyf, 17 February 2018 - 10:05 AM.

#4747 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:43 AM

I made CFF explorer a permanent part of my Windows installs thanks to DA:O and TES. I may try using it on Weidu as well. Is there a particular prompt I should watch for to know when to try it?

The memory error is particularly annoying to me as I was waiting for it but I was able to complete removing Item Rev's weapon tweaks and repatch all the way to the end and only saw errors on the UI repatching. Then I tried to remove scales of balance and got that error. 
You could just manually download the Weidu zip, extract it, patch it, zip it back up and leave it in the BWS folder and then just start that way I suppose.
Nihilism makes me smile.

#4748 Quorwyf

Quorwyf
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:00 PM

You could just manually download the Weidu zip, extract it, patch it, zip it back up and leave it in the BWS folder and then just start that way I suppose.

From www.weidu.org/~thebigg/ right? Do I use 244 or 243?

ED - went ahead with downloading 244 then extracting it to the Big World Downloads folder. Applied 4 GB patch. BWS detected the file and there were no errors or other prompts. 

Edited by Quorwyf, 17 February 2018 - 05:49 PM.

#4749 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:35 PM

Tweaks Anthology was updated to use '1 or 2' input (instead of 'a or b') for the romance cheat component. It looks like BWS fails on this component because it's still sending 'a or b' to the various prompts during install.

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#4750 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:55 PM

From www.weidu.org/~thebigg/ right? Do I use 244 or 243?

ED - went ahead with downloading 244 then extracting it to the Big World Downloads folder. Applied 4 GB patch. BWS detected the file and there were no errors or other prompts. 

I hope that works for you.

Now that the new version of NTotSC is out, I'm tempted to start my BWS install and play-through soon. I'm in the middle of a few other games I started in the mean time.
Nihilism makes me smile.

#4751 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:25 PM

Tweaks Anthology was updated to use '1 or 2' input (instead of 'a or b') for the romance cheat component. It looks like BWS fails on this component because it's still sending 'a or b' to the various prompts during install.

How about reporting such changes up front instead of complaining afterwards? There is no secret djinni that does automatic updates in BWS. You need to support it in order for it to work.

The Sandrah Saga

#4752 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:09 AM

It's a bug report, not a complaint. Had I known this change would cause issues with BWS I would have reported it earlier--I'll keep this in mind for future changes.

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#4753 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:49 AM

It's a bug report, not a complaint. Had I known this change would cause issues with BWS I would have reported it earlier--I'll keep this in mind for future changes.

1-2-3-or a-b-c

Give me an F
Give me an U
Give me a C
Give me a K
What's that spell?
And it's 1, 2, 3
What are we fighting for?
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn...

The Sandrah Saga

#4754 -Perkele1-

-Perkele1-

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:58 AM

@Roxanne

Since you helped me out with adding a component earlier to classic BGT in the BWS, perhaps you can do so again and I'll report back if it broke something?

The "Faren NPC" component "Edwin romance content" is currently being installed before Edwin romance itself, causing it to be skipped. Faren can probably be safely installed after Edwin romance instead. Can you adjust this?

Jarls BGT adventure pack needs to be removed from Textpack (or excluded somehow) because the new version has official English version now, and the Textpack patches it anyway currently causing it to fail to install.

#4755 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:12 AM

@Roxanne

Since you helped me out with adding a component earlier to classic BGT in the BWS, perhaps you can do so again and I'll report back if it broke something?

The "Faren NPC" component "Edwin romance content" is currently being installed before Edwin romance itself, causing it to be skipped. Faren can probably be safely installed after Edwin romance instead. Can you adjust this?

Jarls BGT adventure pack needs to be removed from Textpack (or excluded somehow) because the new version has official English version now, and the Textpack patches it anyway currently causing it to fail to install.

The whole Jarls mod would require to be reconfigured for the BGT part of BWS, see this http://www.shsforums...ck-in-megamod/. There are several more things to be done, nothing that I would consider to do as BGT is nothing I am familiar with or can even test. This needs to be done by a BGT maintainer.

I looked at Faren - the mod has 35!!!! crossmod dependencies configured in BWS. Are you sure that only Edwin is affected here? Or maybe you have not all of those mods?

Here is an excerpt:

Spoiler

I am really willing to help where I can, but I am afraid to touch such a complex construct in a game setup that I cannot verify. I have no means to even visually check any BGT configuration after I apply changes. That would be like driving blind.

The Sandrah Saga

#4756 -Perkele1-

-Perkele1-

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:54 AM

Regarding Jarls, yeah I saw that thread. But for me, the install order seems already correct and in accordance with Jasteys instructions. So I don't think there is need to change anything there. The only problem is that BWS points to an old version (but users can trick BWS to get around this, as I usually do) and the fact that it's put as "expert" (which users can ignore). BUT, since it is included in Textpack, it actually can not be installed. So, I think it is fair to say that just removing it from Textpack will be sufficient for now until a real maintainer comes along, yes? If something goes wrong, I will report back.

Regarding Faren, hmm yeah I guess you're right. I can not pretend to know how it will work out if he is moved. Neither if Edwin romance is put before him. And it's hard to test in game. It's not very important anyway, probably just some extra banter. Perhaps it's better just leaving it alone for now.

#4757 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:18 PM

Regarding Jarls, yeah I saw that thread. But for me, the install order seems already correct and in accordance with Jasteys instructions. So I don't think there is need to change anything there. The only problem is that BWS points to an old version (but users can trick BWS to get around this, as I usually do) and the fact that it's put as "expert" (which users can ignore). BUT, since it is included in Textpack, it actually can not be installed. So, I think it is fair to say that just removing it from Textpack will be sufficient for now until a real maintainer comes along, yes? If something goes wrong, I will report back.

Regarding Faren, hmm yeah I guess you're right. I can not pretend to know how it will work out if he is moved. Neither if Edwin romance is put before him. And it's hard to test in game. It's not very important anyway, probably just some extra banter. Perhaps it's better just leaving it alone for now.

1. BWS already points to the new Jarl mod and also has configured the new additional component. Did you start BWS with update?

2. Textpack for the German stuff is maintained on Kerzenburg forum which is the same that hosts Jarls. Unless you have a 10.000GP worth tome, there is no way to enter there. Maybe you can report that in the other thread you found? Nothing that BWS handles.

3. There is no control within BWS to disable/skip textpack here.

4. What I propose (make those reports nevertheless) is to pause BWS when it comes to install jarls and install the new version manually then skip it in BWS and move on.

PS - there may be a way to remove an individual mod from textpack if you know the exact path and filename of that patch. (e.g. BiG World Textpack ENGLISH\JA#BGT_AdvPack ?)

Edited by Roxanne, 18 February 2018 - 12:39 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

#4758 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:40 PM

on Kerzenburg forum (...) Unless you have a 10.000GP worth tome, there is no way to enter there.
Why do you keep on spreading this lie? I would be really interested. Did you have problems registering (the forum software causes problems time and again so the admins need to activate users by hand sometimes), were the admins mean to you, did you try to post there but got no answer, did I do something that angered you that you take out on Kerzenburgforum now? What it it?

#4759 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:48 PM

on Kerzenburg forum (...) Unless you have a 10.000GP worth tome, there is no way to enter there.
Why do you keep on spreading this lie? I would be really interested. Did you have problems registering (the forum software causes problems time and again so the admins need to activate users by hand sometimes), were the admins mean to you, did you try to post there but got no answer, did I do something that angered you that you take out on Kerzenburgforum now? What it it?

They tell me that my IP-adress is banned from their site. If that is weird forum software so be it. Or maybe I am really a registered criminal, who knows. 

PS- what has that to do with you? Why do you take that personal?

The Sandrah Saga

#4760 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:21 PM

I am global moderator at Kerzenburgforum. I think it's a friendly and helpful community. Hm, I would rather guess that your internet provider might be on a blacklist, then. If it was some kind of automated reply upon your first attempt to register, there are still more ways to go. If it is the end of a conversation with the admins, then I'd understand your 10.000 gold book comment. (I still think the comment is funny, considering Kerzenburg *is* Candlekeep in German. I just don't think the community deserves to be depicted as closed or arrogant or somesuch.)