SWTOR is good! And it's free!

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:57 AM

I started playing Star Wars: The Old Republic (MMO) last weekend and was lost. It's like KOTOR1 with no party, an okay story(well, definitely better for me than Neverwinter MMO) and better graphics. And it's free, too!

I love it. Unfortunately, you can't "switch off" other players, so they're visible and are running around. But it's possible to turn off general chat and auto-decline all party/guild invitations. Aaaand you can't scale down the difficulty, so you have to skip some of the quests(my Dark Sith Warrior couldn't do the ship mission from Korriban to Dromund Kaas, the Twilek Padawan was too much for her. So I had to quit and create a Light Sith Inquisitor, and skip that quest altogether - maybe these quests will be available on higher levels, I don't know. Or maybe I'll have to stop playing, because it'll be too difficult solo).

Anyway, it's fun - for now, at least. I still have to try KOTOR2(got bored with the prologue, maybe because I created exactly the same-looking protagonist, but the protagonist herself wasn't the same), but SWTOR is very good.

(The most unfair thing is that you can't choose a companion, I guess. And, naturally, that you can't solo comfortably enough - difficulty scale is a bit too much for me. But it's still fun).

#2 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:59 AM

Is the Gay Planet still a paid DLC?

#3 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:02 AM

I haven't seen anything like that, I think.

There's a huge campaign to buy something like "Rise of the Hutts" DLC/expansion - if I complete the game, I might consider it.

#4 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:05 AM

Oh yeah, that was the name. Supposedly it's really good, but at the same time

the gay planet

#5 DavidWallace

DavidWallace
  • Validating
  • 337 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:18 AM

SWTOR repays quite a small amount of money spent on it - getting preferred status and a few better bits of gear can help a lot with the difficulty.

#6 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:31 AM

I'd be happy to! It's a good game, so it'll be only fair if I pay for it, especially since I'm going to buy that expansion anyway. 

I've looked here, though, and it doesn't seem like the preferred status makes things easier to play:

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

And at my level ~13, I'm not seeing any items I could buy and use(I visited the fleet stores and the Galactic Trade Network booth). 

Maybe there's a DLC gear pack, like in Dragon Age 2? Do you have anything specific in mind?

#7 DavidWallace

DavidWallace
  • Validating
  • 337 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:32 AM

TBH I'm not 100% sure, I'm going on second hand info (I subscribe). This: http://massively.joy...-experiment-fo/ and links therein were my main source.

#8 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:52 AM

Oh yeah, that was the name. Supposedly it's really good, but at the same time

the gay planet

You are, however, right. Veteran TOR player here, and the game tends towards the mediocre. Yes, you do need to buy the expansion to see any same-sex flirt prompts at all. With one NPC per gender per faction, and it doesn't go anywhere.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#9 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

Not buying the expansion, but I just bought two months of subscription time. I'm a sucker. :(

#10 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:11 AM

In my opinion, TOR has some good ideas, no question, and the story can have some good stuff, but there are a lot of boneheaded decisions at work in terms of the core gameplay - I usually compare TOR's nuts and bolts to WoW as of three or four expansions back. A lot of planets are also poorly designed and involve either huge amounts of running around or just turn into grindy slogs (Belsavis and Makeb, I'm looking at you). The general upshots, most people agree, come from the stories and companions, although most tend to have at least one clunker of a companion. Imperial Agent and Sith Warrior are generally agreed to be two of the best, for what it's worth. I've played the Agent, Warrior, Trooper, and Smuggler to completion, and while I can imagine some might enjoy the Smuggler story, it felt extremely flat and dull to me.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#11 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:33 PM

I played TOR for about 4-5 months starting with Early Access, before the game went free-to-play.

It's one of the better MMOs as far as story goes, but it is still an MMO. They did a very good job of making it playable solo, but you will notice more of a grind compared to a single-player game. Having a companion makes questing a lot easier for all types of characters, and you eventually get a decent amount of companions to choose from. You can't really do the 4-man flashpoints by yourself at their intended level, but you can possibly manage them with 2 people, since each person can bring their companion to round out the party.

I got to end-game as a Sith Inquisitor -> Assassin tank and did some of the original endgame content (Eternity Vault, Karagga's Palace) as well as a ton of PvP (Huttball is amazing).

I really enjoyed the class content and was hoping they would release expansions with more of it, but that hasn't been their focus so far. They probably get a bigger payoff from developing 1 questline (with full voicing) that everyone will play than making 8 separate ones, considering the average player has only 1 or 2 characters at max level.

I might try out the new space combat expansion when it arrives.

#12 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:24 AM

I had pre-ordered the game but ended up cancelling it when they announced it would be a subscription based model.  The game still retains my "preferred player" status, however, which is more comfortable than F2P.  I have a couple of characters on Red Eclipse, and my main is on Jedi Covenant, but my interest has been limited at best.  It just hasn't snagged me the way Guild Wars 2 did.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#13 DavidWallace

DavidWallace
  • Validating
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:25 AM

I love it - it's absorbed my computer game playtime for the last year. But I generally play it with my wife, and that probably has various advantages, both social, i.e. some slog quests are less boring, and practical, i.e., you can basically do all the heroics and flashpoints. (2 people with about a four-to-six level advantage can do HEROIC-4 and flashpoints without too much trouble.)

#14 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:07 AM

I moved to the second planet and got my own ship, yay! And battles in space are incredible! The graphics seem very primitive at first, but wait and see! Asteroid field! Yay! I was amazed.

But... but... but... it's still more than a bit difficult: I have to skip all "group" quests/heroic quests/areas for four, including all flashpoints(though I got to the first flashpoint and completed it seven levels later, it just wasn't the same). And I feel bad when I see auto-skipping all group invites on my screen - I definitely don't want to play with other people, ever, but still feels a bit rude.

I started as a Sith Warrior, deleted her because she got stuck at that first flashpoint, and started a Sith Sorcerer(Inquisitor). Now I think I might move to warrior again - first, the spells are pretty week, straight hack and slash seems simpler. And second, I checked all the romances, and Sith Warrior seems to have the only decent one, alas(And Sorcerer's out of luck. Andro's voice! Yuck!) Sigh. I wish they let us have the companions we chose. But Sith Sorcerer's got a very cool story.

#15 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

F2P mode is passive-aggressive as hell, yes. As for Imperials, the Sorcerer is considered one of the two weaker stories on that faction by most players, with many of the more interesting moments coming from if you play against type and go light-side (Warriors share this - incidentally, dark side Jedi PCs are just Jedi who happen to be jerks, not philosophically committed like light side Sith PCs). The Warrior's romance for a female PC may or may not be to your taste - it's effectively continuous sexual harassment against the NPC in question, seeing as he has basically no social or political rights to say no to the PC.

Flashpoints are strictly optional, mind. The first one is thrown in your face to grab your attention, and it's the most story-heavy flashpoint. The rest are mostly dungeon crawls with one save kittens/squash kittens choice thrown in. Colicoid Wargames and to a degree Kaon Under Siege are exceptions.

#16 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:00 AM

That's quite some teasing about the romance. :)  I also heard the big spoiler - I think he had every right to do it, poor guy. (snicker) Looking forward to it.

I finally completed the Black Talon flashpoint(a mission you can't complete on your own unless you're willing to wait for a few levels) with a Group Queue(other random players who also need a group). I think I breached the net etiquette once during splitting items(you don't get individual loot, you get to split group loot), when I asked for a orange blaster for Vette(need), I shouldn't have. I apologised, though - I think I'll keep from asking for loot in Flashpoints for the time being. But otherwise it was okay.

I also wonder: people complete "Group 4/Heroic 4" missions(again, missions you can't complete alone right now or at all) by asking LFG("looking for group") in chats. What should I do if I want to join? Whisper to them in chat to ask for a group invite? And how do we agree where to meet? Or is the whole group teleported instantly? Sorry, I'm such a newbie at this.

#17 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:08 AM

General flashpoint loot etiquette is to roll need on greens, blues, and oranges that are an upgrade for your character, not your companion. If no one needs on an item that would be good for your companion, then you're free to roll need.

For heroic quests, whisper to the person going LFG in chat for an invite or invite them yourself. Usually, people will start making their way over to where the quest is located once you have a full group.

#18 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

I also spend my time playing this game a lot with a good friend.  It has it flaws sure...but it's a heck of a lot better then WoW...which is far past it's heyday.

I mostly stick to republic toons, but right now I am leveling up a Inquistor.  I have to agree with Tempest that the Inquistor's storyline is a lot weaker then the Warrior's one.  Regardless, I still enjoy it quite a lot...and that won't be changing anytime soon (Unless Elder Scrolls Online shows decent amount of improvement on it's next beta test)

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#19 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

I'm starting to get it: I just played a heroic quest with three other inquisitors. Man, these sith assassins tank like no tomorrow - with these dual-bladed lightsabers and full shields on... (wistful sigh) I still get better companions, though. And it's fun!

Now to Balmorra... Quiiiiin, I am coming for you!

(what? I'm an excited girl! I've taken a look at other male romances for females, and I must say, while other three empire romances look okay(just not that inspiring), republic ones are totally meh. I wish they hired Aeryn or Rhaella instead).

#20 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

The romance for female Imperial Agents is notable, in my opinion. Vector is possibly the strangest person in the most eccentric cast of companions in the game, I feel. Not a bad guy, mind, just strange.