Photo

A new Baldur's Gate?!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:15 AM

Standalone expansion that requires bgee? Not sure.

You crazy ?

If it's a stand alone, it stands alone, as in it, doesn't need the BG1:EE ! Duh.
And you always start around level 8, ... and the level cap is 12th, is what they said, so if we assume a little, it's from 89 000xp to ~400 000 at most.

And yes, they said they would release a patch to BG1:EE and BG2:EE to bring the enhancements to the engine and so the story could also be tweaked just a bit. And you do understand that the Ascension is a community created mod ?

Edited by The Imp, 10 July 2015 - 07:20 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#22 Bill Bisco

Bill Bisco
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:25 AM

Yes Ascension by David Gaider and then tweaked by others. I'm just noting that continuity suddenly feels a bit hollow with this expansion. For vanilla SoA, ToB, and the Ascension mod reasons.

#23 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:54 AM

it IS standalone you brainiacsss

#24 Bill Bisco

Bill Bisco
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:18 AM

it IS standalone you brainiacsss

Operating System: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, or 10
CPU: 1 GHZ
Memory: 512 MB RAM
Graphics: OpenGL 2.0 compatible
Hard Drive: 2.17 GB HD space
* Requires Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition to play

http://webcache.goog...-android-att-us

#25 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:13 AM

One thing to note is the fact that this new badgirl Caelar Argent is not mentioned at all in bg2 or in tob. No hell trial. No Abyss Caelar or anything. Ascension mod will now feel weird and people will ask where is Caelar? Why not another dead Bhaalspawn to fight? I hope Beamdog will continue to create content for bg2ee and bridge some story content gaps that are now being created by this interquel. I will say that this early army battle excites me greatly. Kudos to them for that. I've wanted something polished like that for a long time.

I suspect that if they are successful, they will add a new BG2EE expansion related to this story, which would be awesome. Let's hope they are indeed successful, although I suspect they will be.

Edited by dreamer2007, 10 July 2015 - 09:14 AM.

#26 Bill Bisco

Bill Bisco
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:25 AM

One thing to note is the fact that this new badgirl Caelar Argent is not mentioned at all in bg2 or in tob. No hell trial. No Abyss Caelar or anything. Ascension mod will now feel weird and people will ask where is Caelar? Why not another dead Bhaalspawn to fight? I hope Beamdog will continue to create content for bg2ee and bridge some story content gaps that are now being created by this interquel. I will say that this early army battle excites me greatly. Kudos to them for that. I've wanted something polished like that for a long time.

I suspect that if they are successful, they will add a new BG2EE expansion related to this story, which would be awesome. Let's hope they are indeed successful, although I suspect they will be.

It might be a pipedream, but I do wish for an official Baldur's Gate Trilogy game. That by itself would engender a lot of smoother transitions and more polished and expanded content. The fact that BG2EE will be getting a new class and UI updates and items is an indication of that possibility.

#27 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:40 AM

It might be a pipedream, but I do wish for an official Baldur's Gate Trilogy game. That by itself would engender a lot of smoother transitions and more polished and expanded content. The fact that BG2EE will be getting a new class and UI updates and items is an indication of that possibility.
But see, the modders can do it better... and besides, we already have a BGT, a BGT-weidu, and EET... so the competition for the spot is astronomical.

Besides, it would be illegal to make a "Baldur's Gate Trilogy game". Why, well the "Baldur's Gate Trilogy" -title is the legally public property for the next 80+ years. Or until a global corporation bribes a lot of people.

Edited by The Imp, 10 July 2015 - 10:15 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#28 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:48 AM

But see, the modders can do it better... and besides, we already have a BGT, a BGT-weidu, and EET... so the competition for the spot is astronomical.

The modders work is great, no doubt about it. But it is mostly confined in the limit of the games themselves. What Beamdog could be doing is expand beyond the confines of the original games, and attract new players, or bring back veterans, and so rejuvenate the BG modding community, to bring a new BG mods golden age. Okay, now I'm dreaming a little much, but why not? :D

#29 K4thos

K4thos
  • Modder
  • 315 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:52 AM

if they would be interested in it I think someone from Beamdog would contact me regarding it, as they were aware about EET for like half year or more now (at least Dee knew about it as I asked him some questions regarding Adventure Y in relation to EET quite some time ago). So considering they hire modders whose work may be useful for them I really doubt it.

Although you can be sure that SoD will be fully supported by EET, probably at the same day the expansion is released (unless I won't be able to sneak into the beta that is).

Back on topic - I've watched a full 3-hours stream and I'm very impressed. New areas looks great, large scale battles don't lag, GUI improvements are remarkable and Vita port is not out of the question ( :P). I'm looking forward for the release.

Edited by K4thos, 10 July 2015 - 10:38 AM.

#30 Bill Bisco

Bill Bisco
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:58 AM

Modders have done great and I'm forever grateful for Ascension64 and what I hope K4thos will do for EET.

Still, there's still a lot of potential for an EET with content that modders cannot / will not have the time to do. I don't forsee another interquel or sequel to the Bhaalspawn story beyond this current one of Siege of Dragonspear other than a potential official EET. Most game devs don't want to dig into actually playing as a god and dealing with divine politicking. Playing as a mortal is possible, but fights were already crazy in ToB. Trying to top that seems impractical and breaks the tempo and suspension of disbelief.

Other than an official EET, I can't see any true Bhaalspawn saga content coming out. After this point it's probably a new 5e game to compete with Sword Coast Legends.

#31 Bill Bisco

Bill Bisco
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:06 AM

if they would be interested in it I think someone from Beamdog would contact me regarding it, as they were aware about EET for like half year or more now (at least Dee knew about it as I asked him some questions regarding Adventure Y in relation to EET quite some time ago). So considering they hire modders whose work may be useful for them I really doubt it. On a positive note you can be sure that SoD will be fully supported by EET, probably at the same day the expansion is released (unless I won't be able to sneak into the beta that is).

Back on topic - I've watched a full 3-hours stream and I'm very impressed. New areas looks great, large scale battles don't lag, GUI improvements are remarkable and Vita port is not out of the question ( :P). I'm looking forward for the release.
I would love for them to hire you and I wish they would!

Business-wise they'd probably want to wait a couple of years since this product would effectively kill bgee, bgSod, and bg2ee, but it still seems like a solid move to close out the series in my mind.

Did you catch that some of the interview questions came from moi ;)

I look forward to the release myself as well. I'd like to beta test too if possible.

Also, if you advertise your EET mod, then you'll probably get more attention. I mean a lot of people in the beamdog forums don't know about Big World Setup. I didn't know about EET until it was mentioned in passing here.

Edited by Bill Bisco, 10 July 2015 - 10:38 AM.

#32 K4thos

K4thos
  • Modder
  • 315 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:24 AM

Also, if you advertise your EET mod, then you'll probably get more attention. I mean a lot of people in the beamdog forums don't know about Big World Setup. I didn't know about EET until it was mentioned in passing here.

I was waiting for this problem to be resolved and it's no longer an issue since yesterday, so it's indeed good time to make an announcement topic here and there, as the mod is already good to go, even without SoD support yet. Now let's get back on topic.

Other than an official EET, I can't see any true Bhaalspawn saga content coming out. After this point it's probably a new 5e game to compete with Sword Coast Legends.

well, there is still a gap between BG2 and ToB to fill  :lol:  Also never-ending TotSC like expansions ;)

#33 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:40 AM

well, there is still a gap between BG2 and ToB to fill  :lol:  Also never-ending TotSC like expansions ;)

That's very true :D

#34 Bill Bisco

Bill Bisco
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:43 AM

This is for you K4thos: you're welcome ^_^ http://forums.beamdo...previously/p102

#35 Bill Bisco

Bill Bisco
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 03:12 PM

And what exactly would CHARNAME do between BG2 and ToB? S/he literally walks straight from Suldanesselar to the Stone Head grove.

I doubt more Totsc expansions because the SoD site answers why SoD wasn't 5E D&D. This indicates that their plans are foe future independent games to be non-2e and thus outside of the Bhaalspawn saga.

#36 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:14 PM

And what exactly would CHARNAME do between BG2 and ToB? S/he literally walks straight from Suldanesselar to the Stone Head grove.

I doubt more Totsc expansions because the SoD site answers why SoD wasn't 5E D&D. This indicates that their plans are foe future independent games to be non-2e and thus outside of the Bhaalspawn saga.

Actually, it could be something added before Irenicus. Like Watcher's Keep was added in by ToB. There are always options :)

Edited by dreamer2007, 16 July 2015 - 10:14 PM.