Photo

[list in post #1] BP+SCS install reports BG1 & BG2

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#121 Munchkin Mooch

Munchkin Mooch
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 04:34 AM

There's no bubble in modded versions of the encounter I've had. At least I haven't seen the bubble since I started modding BG. Normally he attacks on sight. But just in case I went and moved the lever - nothing changes. Not bubble related.

I have removed every other thing that could affect Irenicus Dungeon to check what's up with Cambion - Revised Battles and AzenMOD. Cambion still won't move. I think it might be a problem with BP script somehow since it's the only thin upgrading Dungeon's encounters/AI in this install. Similarly it's clear that BP is ruling the Tolgerias encounter since 2nd phase works fine, but something seems to block these things. I also noticed on the new install that Ilyich starts to attack if he's given a chance to use Duergar enlargement. But not a move before that and the transformation seems random-ish (first I saw it this time).

I tried to look at Tolgerias script (keyword: look, I didn't touch anything), but I only really see the parts responsible for his teleporting away and normal fighting. No idea where the initial part of encounter could be. My scripting knowledge is 0.5 (close to a round 0, but I can distinguish blocks and variables so I give myself half a point for that lol). It looks like a fun fight scrolling through, and potentially challenging one too. Would like to know how to fix it before I get to it :) Gonna be done with BG1 soon.

Edited by Munchkin Mooch, 10 December 2015 - 09:41 AM.

#122 Munchkin Mooch

Munchkin Mooch
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:07 PM

I made a quick BG2 install with nothing but corrections and BP AI + BP Encounters just to see what's up.

- Cambion attacks (but doesn't cast spells. I know it can at least mirror image normally [revised battles? or should BP make him too?]) .

- Ilyich just dies, no duergar reduction sequence (supposedly BP alone should make it happen? And it did in another install without RB component)

- Ilyich's mage casts spells

- Tolgerias and his mage are as idle as ever (the one I cared to check the most). No changes compared to other installs.

EDIT: A crappy bandaid solution I found - replacing Tolgerias and his mage's "class" script with something else starting with BP kinda makes them fight without bugging the teleport away on low hp. But they don't really do anything worthy (probably random mage scripts I assigned don't work great with their spell selection) which basically means nothing since the fight is still not as it should be. But in case someone else got this bug and wanted them to do anything without getting broken, this seems to be some sort of way... BPMAG16A is the best I found poking about. Still. Total noob fix and idk, they don't really prebuff properly or summon lovely demons or whatnot. Might be steamroll. :(

Edited by Munchkin Mooch, 11 December 2015 - 10:42 AM.

#123 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:15 PM

I have removed every other thing that could affect Irenicus Dungeon to check what's up with Cambion - Revised Battles and AzenMOD. Cambion still won't move. I think it might be a problem with BP script somehow since it's the only thin upgrading Dungeon's encounters/AI in this install. I also noticed on the new install that Ilyich starts to attack if he's given a chance to use Duergar enlargement. But not a move before that and the transformation seems random-ish (first I saw it this time).

I will mark BP 440 & 450 (Duergar tweaks in Irenicus' Dungeon) as Expert based on this report.

Not sure which BP component tweaks the Cambion?  I'd like to mark that one Expert too.

Tolgerias encounter

I'm guessing Tolgerias is modified by BP 1375 (Planar Sphere) -- can you confirm this with weidu --change-log on the Tolgerias .cre file you identified?

Edited by agb1, 14 December 2015 - 08:55 PM.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#124 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:11 PM

Speaking of, I found a funny bug that seems to be AI related. Moderately deadly and pretty funny :D

Two friendly NPC mages - Firebead Elvenhair in Candlekeep and Ygnatius Bombastatius (sp?) cast one spell on someone. Randomly chosen. First one slapped me with Melf's Arrow, next time it was a Magic Missile. The latter served me with Chaos and upon reload something else. Just one spell. They don't go hostile, I can talk to them, they give quests, the former casts his protection spell on Charname after quest is done. It's like they get possessed by a blitz demon - hit once and back to normal :D

@Lollorian - can we BWPFixpack the BPMAGE6 script in BP with the one-line change mentioned by horred in this post:  http://www.shsforums...-bugs/?p=567096 ?

@Munchkin - can you check what script Ygnatius uses?  We should patch that one too, if different.

I checked Ygnatius -- ACQ17001.CRE -- and he has the same BPMAGE6 script.

Some other neutral/friendly creatures that also have BPMAGE6 script include:

BENTLY.CRE -- Bentley Mirrorshade (in Friendly Arm Inn)

CORNEIL.CRE -- Corneil (in Government District)

Curious if these misbehave too.

Edited by agb1, 15 December 2015 - 07:50 PM.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

#125 Munchkin Mooch

Munchkin Mooch
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 01:33 AM

I've finished BG1 since then, no other 1-turn attacking mages found in BG1, never had any issues with Bentley.

Can't say for Corneil since that BG1 install is on another ancient drive now (I can access the files but can't run it without some meddling). But in the BG2 install Corneil isn't doing anything fishy and he probably has the script too since I'm still using BP.

If you want to look into anyone, I would suggest 'Ulrien of Cormyr' in Mithrest Inn. He's from some mod I believe but one time he greeted me with a death spell of sorts upon entering. Didn't 1-turn attack me next time though so perhaps it's not the same bug.

There's a bunch of bugs in BG2 as well, granted, but I'll report them sometime after Christmas. Most are minor.

Here's a morsel though:

The weirdest one that might be difficult to debug is enemies going green (ally) in the middle of the battle for some reason. They're not controllable, the hover cursor is the one for conversation. I have only two theories at this moment and neither makes a ton of sense.

a) Talauntin was attacking me as a Pink Dragon when his imp ported me to his realm so I changed him to 'ally' in SK to be able to access the shop. I've made him 'neutral' yesterday after the green bug stroke again and made me think of it.  I reversed that change and the bug didn't go away.

b) I have a super slight feeling it might be actually team character scripts causing this for some reason. It was a late night thought and I didn't have time to see if it makes sense, but I don't actually recall it happening when I had AI off, I don't think. But could well be a coincidence.

This is probably the biggest bug I've encountered in BG2 for now, but it's not easily debuggable I fear.

Update-ish thingie: well, really just more "maaaaybe it's related". I thiiink it might have something to do with fights where opponents can charm/dominate the characters? Just a thought, but where I saw it happen for certain was Sirine in sewers, sewer party, some sort of Yuan-ti encounter with spellcasters present and a vampire battle in chapter 3. I reloaded on the vampire battle and turned AI off. No bug then. I wouldn't say it necessarily confirms my suspicions, but it doesn't invalidate them either for now. I'll keep watching.

I haven't seen the bug strike even once throughout the entire Umar Hills quest, De'Arnise keep, Slaver plots, Harpers plot and a bunch of others I'm sure. And I don't think any of these enemies use charm/dominate. Maybe I'm onto something?

Had one crash averted by killing the NPC with CTRL-Y: in Azengaard encounter in Irenicus Dungeon there was a Time Assassin at the bottom of the Oasis map who was crashing my game when I casted a spell on him or when he attacked (hard to say, it happened at once I guess). It crashed like 3-4 times, but when I wanted to check in the console and reloaded the pre-assassin save later it wouldn't crash anymore.

Edited by Munchkin Mooch, 17 December 2015 - 02:09 PM.

#126 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:13 PM

Sounds plausible.

#127 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:37 AM

Speaking of, I found a funny bug that seems to be AI related. Moderately deadly and pretty funny :D

Two friendly NPC mages - Firebead Elvenhair in Candlekeep and Ygnatius Bombastatius (sp?) cast one spell on someone. Randomly chosen. First one slapped me with Melf's Arrow, next time it was a Magic Missile. The latter served me with Chaos and upon reload something else. Just one spell. They don't go hostile, I can talk to them, they give quests, the former casts his protection spell on Charname after quest is done. It's like they get possessed by a blitz demon - hit once and back to normal :D

@Lollorian - can we BWPFixpack the BPMAGE6 script in BP with the one-line change mentioned by horred in this post:  http://www.shsforums...-bugs/?p=567096 ?

Very nice find :) Trying to understand the issue leads me to believe that a better solution would be to keep the Continue() and add NoAction() to all empty blocks in the scripts though... Thoughts?

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#128 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:57 AM

Got no idea, but the scripts that cast attack spells should all start with ...

IF
	See(NearestEnemyOf(Myself))

-condition. Or it will just cheese cheat you.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#129 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:50 AM

Very nice find :) Trying to understand the issue leads me to believe that a better solution would be to keep the Continue() and add NoAction() to all empty blocks in the scripts though... Thoughts?

Adding NoAction() might cause the NPCs to appear to stutter/tense up because NoAction() is, despite its name, actually an action that consumes some time and might even cause a visible animation reset.

#130 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:53 PM

Ok can I assume you got that bit from this thread? :P

But that thread would suggest moving all the empty blocks to the top fo the script - can someone test these cases in the affected BPMAGE6 script using NearInfinity or something? I might be able to only give this a look on sunday, but I assume this is the cause of many of the stuff people experience with BP (including the hostile NPC thing)

The cases to test would be:

1) Add NoAction() to all the empty RESPONSE blocks in BPMAGE6.BCS and check if they cause noticeable stuttering

2) Move all the empty blocks to the top of the script before any Continue()s and check for behavioral changes

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#131 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:23 AM

Ok some notes - it would seem that case (2) moving all the empty blocks to the top of the script is not feasible at all because some of the blocks are written that they depend on a block before it being processed... leading to infinite loops if the blocks are moved :P

I've converted ALL (yes all 268 changed scripts :devil:) empty blocks in scripts to use the NoAction() and added them to the BWPFixpack - if Munchkin Mooch could use this to do a new test and check for any oddities (past issues, new issues, aforementioned tensing up etc) it is a simple matter of reverting the patch now :)

It's a simple find & replace for me to extend this to all mods btw so eagerly awaiting results now... :cheers:

#132 Munchkin Mooch

Munchkin Mooch
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:49 PM

You mean I should install the new BWPFixpack on top the full installation and see if the random 1 turn attacks happen? Won't it want me to uninstall a bunch of things if I attempt that? I can only check in BG2 since I don't have BG1 part installed here, but I know that Ust'Natha githyanki by the entrance suffer from it so it's checkable there too.

Edited by Munchkin Mooch, 20 December 2015 - 04:50 PM.

#133 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:53 PM

You would need to do a fresh install.  BWFixpack patches mods pre-installation, not after they are already installed.

#134 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:38 AM

Yes what agb1 said. I thought you were running test installs - sorry if I assumed too much :P

#135 Munchkin Mooch

Munchkin Mooch
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:26 PM

Aw, I'm sorry :( I'm not doing new ones anymore. I actually got to a point where it's playable and decided to just play on it hunting for bugs and making a list that I'll post once I'm done :) It's already quite extensive, but I'm doing my best to keep it organized for easy viewing about what's important/fixable and what's not.

Though I've not much slacker-time left, so I doubt I'll be able to touch ToB before Easter or something. Which is also why I had to stop trying to get some sort of perfect installation and just play if I hoped to play at all around this time :D I hope I'll get to the end of SoA at least, to provide a complete list of anomalies for that part that I've encountered.

On a positive note - I caught a cause for one major bug (not many major bugs overall, but more than in BG1 part) so that might be easy to check. I've noted down the variable that needs to be changed. I will see if something similar happens at any time later and I'll post it alongside the rest of the reports. Unless someone's antsy to fix something anything as long as it's now :D Then I shall oblige.

#136 Munchkin Mooch

Munchkin Mooch
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:17 PM

I've replaced 1st post with a consolidated list of all bugs I've found in the games so far plus the install files/logs I'm using :) Should be easier to find stuff.

Edited by Munchkin Mooch, 28 December 2015 - 02:18 PM.

#137 Nightfarer

Nightfarer
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:58 PM

~Vendor from Clan DLAN, Eman Rahc, has botched dialogue -  it makes no sense and has weird options. Can still trade with him, but something went wrong there.

Sorry, you mean?

#138 Munchkin Mooch

Munchkin Mooch
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:16 AM

I took a screenshot. The replies that come after clicking any of these options seem fine and relevant.

Attached Images

• eman.png

#139 Nightfarer

Nightfarer
  • 480 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:38 AM

Ok, thanks for the screenshot :) Will take a look at it :)

#140 Nightfarer

Nightfarer
  • 480 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:52 PM

Sorry, could you please take a screenshot after you click any of those replies? Especially 2 or 3?