Photo

Greenhorn's questions, bugs and findings about BWS

• Please log in to reply
397 replies to this topic

#341 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:16 AM

1. I am curious myself, never solved that riddle and never found that Shilo ever recognised killing of those ogres

Hmm, from my memory there are two groups of Ogre magi connected with Shilo-Chen's twins.  :P For BG1UB Shilo guy they are located far south and south-west on the Bandit camp map ( close to that ruins ). Speaking of which I hope I would be able to reach it even without Imoen and Henning's rescue ( seems I can't do anything for that guy, Imoen together with Jaheira is long dead  :( and I can't reach Orc prison and that wounded guy in Gullykin without Immy, searched that map completely and done massive Ogre genocide on the way  :devil:  :D ). Reason that I mention this is that I located position of Bandit camp on world map thanks to Zeke and his bandits on the map north of Beregost, but it get erased when we discovered Henning's kidnapping, so I'm little worried, I hope there is no reason for it and that I will infiltrate that bandit's nest in usual way. For Shilo girl her Ogres are located in Peldvale, somewhere on the top left corner of the map. They are invisible of course, so they are easy to miss... 

1. You will still be able to go to bandit camp via Teven or What-was-his-name, the two groups in Peldvale and Larswood.

2. Yes, I know those two ogre groups - I just never saw a positive feedback from the Shilo

3. The Gullykin ogres are from the Vault, not from Sandrah, but I connected them in a bit with that sword story from Firewine, so that it appears like a more comprehensive story not just a battle for battle*s sake.

1. Thought so, still glad to know this without any doubt, thanks. 

2. Which one, or both?  :)

3. I know that, just bragging a little.  :D Seriously, that quest from Vault need revamp for balancing sake, thanks to infinitely spawning of Kharaz ogres I'm the richest man on the Sword coast not to mention tons of experience and all that thanks to several Cloud kills. Somewhat crude modding IMHO... 

#342 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:06 AM

Err... what exactly are advantages of 3 pipes in sword and shield proficience and why Sandrah suddenly got them out of the blue? :mellow: I'm afraid that I know answer, absolutely none as it negate bonuses she had with one pipe in it.  :blink: She must had got it simultaneously with increase in constitution in the middle of that carnage with all those medusas and basilisks on Garden of statues map. Didn't paid attention until I noticed that her blocking of missile's isn't good as it used to be. Too bad that isn't consequence of night time battles and reduced visibility. Speaking of which I'm sorry that there isn't some mod which gives moderate penalties ( for example +2 THACO and maybe optionally + 1 to armor class and -1 to damage ) to creatures without infravision for night and dark times battles, that would make that worthless 1st level divination spell count for something.  :lol: For the end I must say that as much as I hate overpowered enemies and force spells I equally ( if not more ) hate tweaked ones. There is funny situation in my game that many enemy NPCs carry load of duplicate weapons and armor and in most cases have inferior armament and armor equipped than what is available in their inventory, for example dude is fighting with chain mail and regular long bow while in backpack keeps full plate mail and magical bow. And no that is not random treasure. At least I can understand that, it is probably result of multiple game patching and the last wins I think. What I don't understand is logic behind equipping some shoddy armor on fighting spell casters, for example on Kirian ( basilisk map ) or Silke in Beregost. In that way moderately difficult opponents with possibility for interesting and exciting fight become mere breeze and easy pushover. Really sorry to see that... 

Edited by Greenhorn, 25 November 2016 - 07:10 AM.

#343 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 04:03 PM

Do a change-log on stylbonu.2da. (did roxanne secretly make a tweak mod?????) ;)

Edited by subtledoctor, 25 November 2016 - 08:57 PM.

#344 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 04:42 PM

Do a change-log on stylbonu.2da. (did roxanne secretly make a tweak mod?????)

Heh, this is probably inadverent mistake, judging from my change-log it gives the same bonuses like grandmastery in single weapon style, in other words nothing and erase regular bonuses.  :lol:

#345 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:07 PM

Heh, this is probably inadverent mistake, judging from my change-log it gives the same bonuses like grandmastery in single weapon style, in other words nothing and erase regular bonuses.  :lol:

I do not remember which mod fiddles with the additional stars and abilities, there is such a one, it is not in Sandrah. It is another side effect from too many mods piled on each other.

PS - stylbonu.2da is not existing in BGT, it is an EE feature where it is externalised (unless some mod makes such a change to BG2).

Did you ever check (in a savegame, not in the plain cre file) which class and kit your Sandrah has?

Edited by Roxanne, 26 November 2016 - 03:22 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#346 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 04:02 AM

I do not remember which mod fiddles with the additional stars and abilities, there is such a one, it is not in Sandrah. It is another side effect from too many mods piled on each other.

PS - stylbonu.2da is not existing in BGT, it is an EE feature where it is externalised (unless some mod makes such a change to BG2).

Did you ever check (in a savegame, not in the plain cre file) which class and kit your Sandrah has?

Well yes, just now, she is what she is supposed to be I think level 8/8 multiclass fighter/cleric, custom kit Priestess of Mystra. 

Untitled.png

She does get additional pipes sometimes, and losses it , if you remember case with mastery with warhammer. So I will just take one star in sword and shield style and assign it to warhammer so she could be master with it again. 

#347 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:04 AM

Well yes, just now, she is what she is supposed to be I think level 8/8 multiclass fighter/cleric, custom kit Priestess of Mystra. 

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

She does get additional pipes sometimes, and losses it , if you remember case with mastery with warhammer. So I will just take one star in sword and shield style and assign it to warhammer so she could be master with it again. 

Well, the screen is just some display thing, not reliable.That *Priestess of Mystra" is not necessarily what the game really uses, you may look that up with a game editor (NI or whatever you use) from a save.

PS - Hope her portrait is just your local tweak, uurgh.

Edited by Roxanne, 26 November 2016 - 05:06 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#348 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:20 AM

Well, the screen is just some display thing, not reliable.That *Priestess of Mystra" is not necessarily what the game really uses, you may look that up with a game editor (NI or whatever you use) from a save.

Nothing out of ordinary I think:

Untitled.png

P.S. It is, don't worry.  :P

#349 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:31 AM

The basic settings seem right, the rest is probably due to your way through the game. I have no idea where your glitches come from or whether they appear in other NPCs as well (since you use your own portraits I cannot identify who those others are).

The Sandrah Saga

#350 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:51 AM

The basic settings seem right, the rest is probably due to your way through the game. I have no idea where your glitches come from or whether they appear in other NPCs as well (since you use your own portraits I cannot identify who those others are).

Adrian, main PC, Coran, Will Scarlet O'Hara from NTotSC ( soon to be replaced by Keiria Silverstring from DSoTSC, I like her more, I'm inclined  toward pretty ladies, sorry Will ) Xavia, Sandrah and Mulgore. Just preparing to go to Durlag's tower and storm the upper floors, curios to see what that evil duo has to offer in my game. I noticed that Sandrah sometimes get some bonuses in the middle or immediately after some particularly large and bloody battles, it is by design I believe. Whether those bonuses are preset or random I don't know. Two extra pipes in some weapon style isn't bad thing, of course under condition that there are none already present thus ruining it. I'm sure you would't make such beginner  mistake to set as advantages for Sandrah's kit " grandmastery in single and two handed weapon style " as I seen some other modders doing... 

Edited by Greenhorn, 26 November 2016 - 03:28 PM.

#351 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:35 AM

Except for Coran, there is no interaction from Sandrah with any of those others, there are few NPCs she ignores and you have them in your party.

These bonuses you mention - she *learns* from the battles she fights. There is some counter which is tracking the enemies she herself actually defeats (with weapons, not with area spells or such), but those are her own bonuses not something to tweak game rules.

My last guess towards these extra pipes and grandmastery stuff is that it may come from a mod I remember to have seen that allows grandmastery and extra weapon skills for everyone (or something in that vein). This maybe incompatible with her kit. Sandrah should not be able to use ranged weapons and she performs extemely poor with anything but her beloved hammer. Her progress is mainly aimed at advancing her healer personality rather than the fighter.

None of it is reproduceable in the EET version.

Edited by Roxanne, 26 November 2016 - 06:39 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#352 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 07:14 AM

Except for Coran, there is no interaction from Sandrah with any of those others, there are few NPCs she ignores and you have them in your party.

These bonuses you mention - she *learns* from the battles she fights. There is some counter which is tracking the enemies she herself actually defeats (with weapons, not with area spells or such), but those are her own bonuses not something to tweak game rules.

My last guess towards these extra pipes and grandmastery stuff is that it may come from a mod I remember to have seen that allows grandmastery and extra weapon skills for everyone (or something in that vein). This maybe incompatible with her kit. Sandrah should not be able to use ranged weapons and she performs extemely poor with anything but her beloved hammer. Her progress is mainly aimed at advancing her healer personality rather than the fighter.

Point taken. So far there were two or three constitution bonuses, accompanied with extra proficiency in warhammer ( which she lost when she left party to make room for Dynaheir ) and now this. About bonus styles I am against such things so I didn't install anything like that consciously but it may very well be consequence of some large megamod ( TDD, ROT, take your pick ). No matter, it is easy to fix this with SK and move on.  :) And lastly, try equip Sandrah with some nice throwing hammers. Boy oh boy, I have some my own lovely howitzer here...  :lol:  ;)

#353 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 07:49 AM

Point taken. So far there were two or three constitution bonuses, accompanied with extra proficiency in warhammer ( which she lost when she left party to make room for Dynaheir ) and now this. About bonus styles I am against such things so I didn't install anything like that consciously but it may very well be consequence of some large megamod ( TDD, ROT, take your pick ). No matter, it is easy to fix this with SK and move on.  :) And lastly, try equip Sandrah with some nice throwing hammers. Boy oh boy, I have some my own lovely howitzer here...  :lol:  ;)

Now you have really found a bug...

Throwing hammers - they do not count as ranged weapons? I confess I never looked into that but now I will. I always used the cleric's spiritual hammer if I wanted her to throw such a thing on occassion.

Maybe it is not a bug but a niice exploit.

The Sandrah Saga

#354 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:03 AM

Now you have really found a bug...

Throwing hammers - they do not count as ranged weapons? I confess I never looked into that but now I will. I always used the cleric's spiritual hammer if I wanted her to throw such a thing on occassion.

Maybe it is not a bug but a niice exploit.

Why bug? I think she can use slings, at least she can carry bullets for it in her quivers. Although with all that screwed ammunition from Dark horizons ( every type of sling bullets from that mod gives strength bonuses as far as I can see ) the end result is roughly the same. Yes, there are indeed throwing hammers thanks to this nice little mod: 

HAMMERS/SETUP-HAMMERS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Thrown Hammers: v4.1 BWP Fix
~HAMMERS/SETUP-HAMMERS.TP2~ #0 #15 // Thrown Spiritual Hammers: v4.1 BWP Fix
~HAMMERS/SETUP-HAMMERS.TP2~ #0 #25 // Normal throwing hammers: v4.1 BWP Fix
~HAMMERS/SETUP-HAMMERS.TP2~ #0 #35 // +1 throwing weapons: v4.1 BWP Fix
~HAMMERS/SETUP-HAMMERS.TP2~ #0 #50 // Additional magic items: v4.1 BWP Fix

and she is able to use them to great effect. Let's call it a nice feature...  :)

#355 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 07:47 AM

Hmm, I've been wandering lately how undead turning by priests and paladins exactly works in trilogy? What can they turn, destroy, control and so on? Which undead are immune to this ability and is there some reliable  online source which is not based on guessing how this should work according to P&P rules or on old vanilla BG

#356 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:42 AM

I've seen some really weird things in this game but my goodness, this crazy shit tops it all! So, despite my earlier battle with them on the top floor of Jovial juggler ( half of them dead, half run away when I killed their pet Lesser tanari ) I run again on that jolly coven of lawful good witches from NTotSC I think on Wenric's zombies map north of BG. They greeted me with this sentence: " Eeeeh, girls, isn't a high time to change the branch? Shouldn't we become the exclusive deliverers of intensive feelings for instance..." which resulted in summoning of that demon again. Problem is that all six of them repeat that damn dialogue over and over again repeatedly which resulted in thirty or so Lesser tanari'i after six seconds. Game freezed to crawl and I had no choice but Control Y most of them ( although I managed to kill 4 of 5 of them and one witch in good old fashioned way, every demon is worth 22000 XP ). This is epilogue:

Untitled.png

Can somebody please look on this and fix it because this is game breaking bug. There are other minor bugs, for example Dynaheir can't learn some conjuration/ summoning spells, like summon cow for example and this hurts me the most.  :P There is also very minor thing with Sandrah's cure wounds ability which she cast automatically on my PC when he  lose lot of hit points  :hug: , it sometimes create new Cure serious wounds cleric scroll in my PC inventory out of blue. I recall that I run on few other minor bugs but for the life of me I can't remember them right now. I guess I should really start to make  written notes about them, perhaps in custom journal entries...  :lol:

#357 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:00 AM

Sandrah's cure wounds ability which she cast automatically on my PC when he  lose lot of hit points, it sometimes create new Cure serious wounds cleric scroll in my PC inventory out of blue

This bug existed in older versions of the mod. I revised it long ago.

jolly coven of lawful good witches from NTotSC

This has also been fixed meanwhile.

The Sandrah Saga

#358 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:22 AM

Sandrah's cure wounds ability which she cast automatically on my PC when he  lose lot of hit points, it sometimes create new Cure serious wounds cleric scroll in my PC inventory out of blue

I guess all my reports are from last century and helpful like last year snow.  :lol:

I guess for EET? Please dear fixers and patchers, do not forget us few remaining BGT players, we are endangered specie...  :P

#359 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:33 AM

I guess all my reports are from last century and helpful like last year snow.  :lol:

Not all...your style to go through the game is quite unlike anything used for testing before - while many of the script/battle issues may be fixed already, some story related issues are not. Fact is that I am still reading your reports of a game (and mod) I have laid aside a while ago, this should be telling enough.

I guess for EET? Please dear fixers and patchers, do not forget us few remaining BGT players, we are endangered specie...  :P

The witches re-appearance was caused by my mod, so with the mod gone the problem is gone in BGT. In the EET version I have additional area checks, thus the original behaviour is not repeated.

The Sandrah Saga

#360 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:43 AM

The witches re-appearance was caused by my mod, so with the mod gone the problem is gone in BGT. In the EET version I have additional area checks, thus the original behaviour is not repeated.

Ah, so in this bush rabbit was hiding.  :lol:

Not all...your style to go through the game is quite unlike anything used for testing before - while many of the script/battle issues may be fixed already, some story related issues are not. Fact is that I am still reading your reports of a game (and mod) I have laid aside a while ago, this should be telling enough.

Thank you, good to know that all this wasn't just waste of yours and my time.  :)

Edited by Greenhorn, 28 November 2016 - 11:44 AM.