Photo

Greenhorn's questions, bugs and findings about BWS

• Please log in to reply
397 replies to this topic

#361 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:10 AM

Well, bless their souls my party managed to kill their first Kangaxx. While they are cheering and celebrate near warm campfire in faraway  and cold Icewind dale I think this is good time to ask couple of questions. I ended here by curiosity when after my second visit to Waterdeep I noticed that new area on worldmap, Dragon caves become available. I cleared it and ended up in second map called Drow caves where I met Bruenor ( actually never saw him, there was just brief dialogue of missing Cattie-Brie and then he vanished). It is obvious that these maps are part of Drizzt saga but the problem is that despite the fact that I met him two times already he is available as party member only after clearing of Durlag's tower ( and it is better that way IMHO ). Am I wrong in assumption that it is better to quit this quest for now until I recruit drow celebrity so as to not lose some RPG elements story wise ?Also I remember from Sandrah's readme that now it  is possible to finish Drizzt mod without been forced to recruit his companions.While this option is undoubtedly very nice feature I would also like to be able to take some NPC from that mod which I like. I fear that I missed that chance with Bruenor, wil I be able to recruit him and others if I desire so in the future? Also I remember some minor bugs I  encountered so far. My PC and that guy Riggilo from upper floors of DT took intense dislike of each other so after failed attempts of reconciliation and bribery it ended in only way it could. Hey, don't judge me, at least he retained his soul.  :P By the way I noticed that no enemy tweak after charming from BGT tweaks is not applicable for cleric Mental domination spell. Anyway, among his nice loot he had some letter from Sarevok addressed for some guy named PRAT about group of mercenaries framed for Rieltar's murder in Candlekeep. It kills suspension of disbelief I think  :lol: . If I remember correctly the guy in question with the letter is encountered in Candlekeep's caves near the exit. There is also minor bug with Shandalar's cloak quest journal entry being active even after we gave him the requested item. Mystra's punishment maybe?  :)

Speaking of Mystra's chosen I tried again Power of imagination spell. This time it summoned some frightful creature called Akadia's threat ( kudos for conception, it scared even me, it really looks... nightmarish for lack of better word and is equally  powerful ) . I'm sorry to say that all symptoms I named earlier are still valid. It is green, unselectable ( dialogue icon, can't select it even with the box action from mouse ) and all problems are gone with reloading. There are absolutely no problems with other such spells ( Mystra's army, Noble dragon and so on). I'm more and more convinced that this bug has something with Pack mule mod ( same problems encountered sometimes )... 

#362 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:39 AM

Well, bless their souls my party managed to kill their first Kangaxx. While they are cheering and celebrate near warm campfire in faraway  and cold Icewind dale I think this is good time to ask couple of questions. I ended here by curiosity when after my second visit to Waterdeep I noticed that new area on worldmap, Dragon caves become available. I cleared it and ended up in second map called Drow caves where I met Bruenor ( actually never saw him, there was just brief dialogue of missing Cattie-Brie and then he vanished). It is obvious that these maps are part of Drizzt saga but the problem is that despite the fact that I met him two times already he is available as party member only after clearing of Durlag's tower ( and it is better that way IMHO ). Am I wrong in assumption that it is better to quit this quest for now until I recruit drow celebrity so as to not lose some RPG elements story wise ?Also I remember from Sandrah's readme that now it  is possible to finish Drizzt mod without been forced to recruit his companions.While this option is undoubtedly very nice feature I would also like to be able to take some NPC from that mod which I like. I fear that I missed that chance with Bruenor, wil I be able to recruit him and others if I desire so in the future? Also I remember some minor bugs I  encountered so far. My PC and that guy Riggilo from upper floors of DT took intense dislike of each other so after failed attempts of reconciliation and bribery it ended in only way it could. Hey, don't judge me, at least he retained his soul.  :P By the way I noticed that no enemy tweak after charming from BGT tweaks is not applicable for cleric Mental domination spell. Anyway, among his nice loot he had some letter from Sarevok addressed for some guy named PRAT about group of mercenaries framed for Rieltar's murder in Candlekeep. It kills suspension of disbelief I think  :lol: . If I remember correctly the guy in question with the letter is encountered in Candlekeep's caves near the exit. There is also minor bug with Shandalar's cloak quest journal entry being active even after we gave him the requested item. Mystra's punishment maybe?  :)

Speaking of Mystra's chosen I tried again Power of imagination spell. This time it summoned some frightful creature called Akadia's threat ( kudos for conception, it scared even me, it really looks... nightmarish for lack of better word and is equally  powerful ) . I'm sorry to say that all symptoms I named earlier are still valid. It is green, unselectable ( dialogue icon, can't select it even with the box action from mouse ) and all problems are gone with reloading. There are absolutely no problems with other such spells ( Mystra's army, Noble dragon and so on). I'm more and more convinced that this bug has something with Pack mule mod ( same problems encountered sometimes )... 

Even though Sandrah has some relation with the Drizzt Saga (maybe you already found why she knows the drow), the appearance of those northern maps must be a bug from somewhere else. Sandrah does not change the pattern of Drizzt only becoming available after Durlag (except for the original gnoll encounter and Dynaheir journal episode). Also she changes nothing with respect to the maps. Never saw this before. Actually Sandrah changes none of the contents of that other mod, just adds to it.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#363 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:58 AM

Even though Sandrah has some relation with the Drizzt Saga (maybe you already found why she knows the drow), the appearance of those northern maps must be a bug from somewhere else. Sandrah does not change the pattern of Drizzt only becoming available after Durlag (except for the original gnoll encounter and Dynaheir journal episode). Also she changes nothing with respect to the maps. Never saw this before. Actually Sandrah changes none of the contents of that other mod, just adds to it.

OK, thanks for reply. Time to teleport party from here, too chilly and cold. But to quote good, old Arnie: " I'll be back ! ".  :lol:

Edited by Greenhorn, 02 December 2016 - 08:00 AM.

#364 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:13 AM

OK, thanks for reply. Time to teleport party from here, too chilly and cold. But to quote good, old Arnie: " I'll be back ! ".  :lol:

Teleport? The normal map (Bruenor's cabin) has access to the worldmap and once discovered you should be able to leave and revisit. If not, it is another part of that bug.

PS - Shandalar, you may not be done with him yet (see Arnie).

The Sandrah Saga

#365 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:21 AM

Teleport? The normal map (Bruenor's cabin) has access to the worldmap and once discovered you should be able to leave and revisit. If not, it is another part of that bug.

PS - Shandalar, you may not be done with him yet (see Arnie).

Ah, but with Aurora's boots of the pub everything is possible, just like in Star trek.  :P  ;) I don't want to lose 60 or so hours travelling and it is easier on the legs. 

P.S. Not sure on what you  mean but I can't wait to find out.  :)

Edited by Greenhorn, 02 December 2016 - 08:27 AM.

#366 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:37 AM

I guess this post is more or less irrelevant because BWS doesn't offer support anymore for " classic " games but I can't believe that nobody didn't try to install Classic adventures using this tool. This is what I get if I choose CE for installation, save the mod list I selected, exit and try to run whole thing latter:

Untitled.png

No big deal as I can just delete CA from User.ini but is damn annoying, to put it mildly. 

#367 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:38 AM

I guess this post is more or less irrelevant because BWS doesn't offer support anymore for " classic " games but I can't believe that nobody didn't try to install Classic adventures using this tool. This is what I get if I choose CE for installation, save the mod list I selected, exit and try to run whole thing latter:

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

No big deal as I can just delete CA from User.ini but is damn annoying, to put it mildly. 

Did you ever use this in the past and did it work back when?

The Sandrah Saga

#368 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:05 AM

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

No, made a couple of custom CA installations in the past, but never with BWS. I see there is much change ( and not for the better for those who still enjoy playing "classic" stuff ) since computer implosion which crushed down my old BWS installation ( and BGT Sandrah) with it. 

Edited by Greenhorn, 11 March 2018 - 10:43 AM.

#369 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:13 AM

No, made a couple of custom CE installations in the past, but never with BWS. I see there is much change ( and not for the better for those who still enjoy playing "classic" stuff ) since computer implosion which crushed down my old BWS installation ( and BGT Sandrah) with it. 

i am not a code expert but I have my doubts that the issue you found is new. CA in BWS code was never changed and my minimal insight tells me that the save(restart function might never have worked at all.

The Sandrah Saga

#370 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:19 AM

No, made a couple of custom CE installations in the past, but never with BWS. I see there is much change ( and not for the better for those who still enjoy playing "classic" stuff ) since computer implosion which crushed down my old BWS installation ( and BGT Sandrah) with it. 

i am not a code expert but I have my doubts that the issue you found is new. CA in BWS code was never changed and my minimal insight tells me that the save(restart function might never have worked at all.

I had couple of discussions with agb1 about this, funny thing is that it works for BGT customization but not for CA

Edited by Greenhorn, 11 March 2018 - 10:43 AM.

#371 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:44 PM

Another very strange behavior of the current BWS is that it always turn you on " install bat only" even if you select BGT customization and save your list of selected mods. As it is currently, this tool is useless for building BGT classic game. 

#372 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

I see no point in bothering Sam with this because it is not his problem but with current BWS you can't install Aurora either in CA or BGT because it requires Aurora patch 5.1 which is redundant ( and you can't download it from anywhere ) as mod itself is updated to version 5.2.1. And it is still not compatible with EE games it seems... 

#373 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:38 AM

I see no point in bothering Sam with this because it is not his problem but with current BWS you can't install Aurora either in CA or BGT because it requires Aurora patch 5.1 which is redundant ( and you can't download it from anywhere ) as mod itself is updated to version 5.2.1. And it is still not compatible with EE games it seems... 

With regards to EE (I cannot comment on the other games here):

The Aurora mod did many very different things

- adding Aurora and the gnome shopkeepers to BG1 and Soa part of the games

- adding some smaller deep grome encounters to both games

- adding a large number of graphical stuff

- adding tweaks for XP, gold gain etc from various quest of vanilla and mods

- adding item handling, stacking etc

I have discussed that in the past with Sam in the light of EE, and maybe someday there will be some EE version or not.

- the graphic things from the mod are no longer applicable to the EE graphics

- tweaks part is meanwhile largely covered by EET_Tweaks mod (which works for all games despite the name)

- the contents/story/shop part of the mod is made available by a mini-mod http://www.shsforums...word-coast-eet/ as an interim solution.

The Sandrah Saga

#374 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:53 AM

I see, thanks for clarification. About BWS current shape for classic games, quite frankly it is unusable mess in current state. My best bet is Leonardo's BWP v17 for the time being it seems... 

#375 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:04 AM

I see, thanks for clarification. About BWS current shape for classic games, quite frankly it is unusable mess in current state. My best bet is Leonardo's BWP v17 for the time being it seems... 

Frankly, to get the *Outdated* label on the classic games cost me weeks of discussion and a near ban from the forum and a hundred new enemies...

I would rather tell the truth but nobody likes to hear it. If you take the time to look at 20+ entries from the last year and a half, you will find that many were complaining about the development but no single person raised a hand to do anything about it. Instead the messenger gets all the blame.

The Sandrah Saga

#376 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:17 AM

Yeah, I saw some things, endless discussions between EE and " classic " camp, then BWS supporters vs. BWP folk... Sigh, situation was so promising before 2 years or so... It is pity that something so promising like this tool was allowed to go to waste, at least regarding BGT part. Ah, what can I say except: " don't kill the messenger ". 

#377 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:50 AM

I have discussed that in the past with Sam in the light of EE, and maybe someday there will be some EE version or not.

- the graphic things from the mod are no longer applicable to the EE graphics

- tweaks part is meanwhile largely covered by EET_Tweaks mod (which works for all games despite the name)

- the contents/story/shop part of the mod is made available by a mini-mod http://www.shsforums...word-coast-eet/ as an interim solution.

I am not sure all of this is true. EE probably doesn't have some specific graphics I tweaked, like Karaea's svirfneblin avatar. It might though.

EET Tweaks and Aurora's Shoes have different tweaks, according to the readmes for both mods. Maybe there's another EE mod that gobbled up PnP Helmed Horrors and Realistic Kobold Commandos but if so, I haven't heard of it. (Offhand, making most of these components EE compatible should be relatively easy, for someone with time and basic WeiDU skills anyway.)

As for whether your mini-mod reproduces the story etc. accurately, I can't speak to that, so I guess I'll take your word for it.

As for the larger issue of Aurora not being compatible with BWP, is this because no one's maintaining the BWP/BWS whatever? Again, that should be a relatively simple solution (and again, for someone with time and the ability to look around whatever the existing code is).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#378 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:35 AM

As for the larger issue of Aurora not being compatible with BWP, is this because no one's maintaining the BWP/BWS whatever? Again, that should be a relatively simple solution (and again, for someone with time and the ability to look around whatever the existing code is).

It is all little bit confusing, really. Aurora is compatible with Leonardo's BWP  v.17 it seems, because it uses updated 5.2 version of the mod, without 5.1 patch while BWS use same version of the mod but marks it dependable with that patch, leftover from earlier installation procedures. Dependency should be removed and that will solve that particular problem although I fear that is only top of iceberg of problems if somebody try to install BGT classic game with BWS. 

#379 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:20 AM

It is all little bit confusing, really. Aurora is compatible with Leonardo's BWP  v.17 it seems, because it uses updated 5.2 version of the mod, without 5.1 patch while BWS use same version of the mod but marks it dependable with that patch, leftover from earlier installation procedures. Dependency should be removed and that will solve that particular problem although I fear that is only top of iceberg of problems if somebody try to install BGT classic game with BWS. 

I have tried to implement what you propose in the BGT part. You can test it, I cannot. It is like driving blind, either works or does not work, but I guess we cannot make it worse?

The Sandrah Saga

#380 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:28 AM

I have tried to implement what you propose in the BGT part. You can test it, I cannot. It is like driving blind, either works or does not work, but I guess we cannot make it worse?

Thanks for the effort Roxanne, I will try it but with CA installed with BWS but not BGT. I think I can make CA work, installation, mod selection and extraction should be all made in first try, of course under assumption that you made that implementation for Classic adventures as well?  :)