Photo

Greenhorn's questions, bugs and findings about BWS

• Please log in to reply
397 replies to this topic

#81 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:57 AM

N---

Too radical. Ouh you blue eyed huggy bear, it's not about how much freedom you have, it's about how you use it.

Besides the ToBEx 119 is not needed for NPCs tweaks, just recommended. The reason why is cause you can code Sarevok to be a peasant and he would fight all the same in BG1 ... the changes made only effect the character that joins your party (well need to, as otherwise you have the chance of botching the whole game).

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#82 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:23 AM

Besides the ToBEx 119 is not needed for NPCs tweaks, just recommended.

Sounds good but: 

Install Component 2045 [Enable bard class for elves]? [I]nstall
Requires ToBEx race-class externalize component!!
Don't install this component after the bladesinger, otherwise, the other kits won't be enabled

Install Component 4030 [Bladesinger (needed for Keiria)]? [N]ot Install
ToBEx recommended, install the "Enable bard class for elves" component before this mod

4 - Bladesinger (from TDD, revised) - needed for one Keiria subcomponent - TOBex recommended
NB: If TOBex is not yet installed, or the bard class has not been activated for elves yet (through component 10 of group 2 or other mods), it will only allow this bard kit to be used by elves, and remove all other kits from the elves list.

what about this? In truth I'm perfectly satisfied with " it will only allow this bard kit to be used by elves" but second part sound ominous " and remove all other kits from the elves list." Remove all other bard kits or all other classes and kits!? I guess this things are not marked red without reason...

#83 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:34 AM

The warning is there because you are not allowing ANY bard kits to be usable by elves before this due to not installing the ToBEx... Yeah, in the reqular game you can NOT be an Elf and a Bard. Half elves can... that's different business.

It's linear, just install the ToBEx's component and it's all dandy.

Edited by The Imp, 01 March 2016 - 05:37 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#84 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:50 AM

Well, maybe you are right. Under pressure from international modding community ( and it's chairman ) there is new amendment to Greenhorn's playing constitution: EQUAL CLASS AND KITS RIGHTS FOR ALL DEMIHUMAN FOLK!! Elves and hamsters everywhere, REJOICE!  :ROFL:

#85 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:13 AM

One question about Lol's Rezmod consistency portraits components: BWS dependencies state that EET component 1( not available in BGT) is preferred  to BG2 tweaks components 2,3,4,5,6, and 7 (  :huh: this is almost certain mistake, there are no such components in it ) and said Rezmod's portrait components. I will install Lol's mod but I'm little confused by it, at first I thought that it only add default BG2 portraits to some BGT NPC's and nullifies changes to them ( in truth, that was what I'm looking for in the first place) but on second thought it occurred me that it only spreads last variant of their portraits found in the game when RezMod is  installed ( which I don't want, I prefer good old BG2 Bioware style, yeah, call me old fashioned, what can I do  :D ) to all their versions. I would appreciate help with this, thanks in advance. 

#86 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:14 AM

Just to make a sanity check, you downloaded the BWS in the last 3 days ? And then extracted that to a clean folder, not a folder that had any other BWS files in it, correct ? And then you proceeded though all the usual steps, using the BWP customized cheese, correct ? I forget the compositions exact name, so it's cheese from now on.

#87 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:45 AM

Oh, come on Imp, you can do better, seems that you are out of shape somewhat.  :lol: But to answer your questions, no but updated it, of course it is on the clean install, it is expert cheese. Now I don't know why you asked all of this, I only wanted to know how this cheese smells:

Consistent NPC Portraits (from v2.1)

o   Inspired by the BG1NPC Project’s component with the similar name, this component gives all versions of returning BGI NPCs - Edwin, Imoen, Jaheira, Minsc and Viconia their BGII portraits … and Ajantis and Kivan too (mods make ‘em return to BGII)

o   This component doesn’t add any portraits by itself … It will use whatever portrait was assigned to the NPC at the time of install and spread that portrait to all variants of the NPC.

o   Why, you ask?? Because I like consistency :) (which made me code up the Ioun stone component too) in my games, and BGT, CtB and many other mods create duplicates of these NPCs but use their BGI portraits (which imho stands out in a megamodded game)

o   All NPCs are separate components so you can still have mixed portraits for Jaheira while having a common portrait for Edwin.

o   As of v2.4, this component also includes subcomponents that can give the many Yoshimoes, Anomens, Kivans (fromDomi’s Kivan) and Ajantises (from jastey’s Ajantis) in your BWP game a common portrait (because they both have awesome mods that make them playable in BGII and they allow alternate portraits … making them look different from versions of these guys added by other mods)

o   If and when any BioWare NPC expansion mod adds an option for alternate portraits, this component WILL be expanded <evil> … unless … <shudder>

#88 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:12 PM

EET Tweaks component 1 ("Consistent NPC appearance") is for EET only. The rules are shared across BG2, BGT, BG:EE and BG2:EE, and the text displayed in BWS during mod selection doesn't filter out mods that aren't available for the current game type (it's complicated...) so that's why you are seeing the information there.

Lol's RezMod mod and BG1NPC have the opposite effect: either make the NPCs that appear in both games use their BG1 portraits exclusively (BG1NPC version) or their BG2 portraits exclusively (RezMod). This is editing the creature files to point to the respective portrait files, not actually changing the portrait images at all, so if you've replaced the portrait with a different mod, this just applies that change "consistently" across both BG1 and BG2. As you might expect, this is most relevant for BGT and EET.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#89 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:21 AM

EET Tweaks component 1 ("Consistent NPC appearance") is for EET only. The rules are shared across BG2, BGT, BG:EE and BG2:EE, and the text displayed in BWS during mod selection doesn't filter out mods that aren't available for the current game type (it's complicated...) so that's why you are seeing the information there.

Lol's RezMod mod and BG1NPC have the opposite effect: either make the NPCs that appear in both games use their BG1 portraits exclusively (BG1NPC version) or their BG2 portraits exclusively (RezMod). This is editing the creature files to point to the respective portrait files, not actually changing the portrait images at all, so if you've replaced the portrait with a different mod, this just applies that change "consistently" across both BG1 and BG2. As you might expect, this is most relevant for BGT and EET.

I see. Second case, as I suspected. Thanks for help agb1, it's appreciated. 

#90 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:12 AM

Minor error in conflict solving, component  1350 [Portraits for Tales of Anegh) of Geri BGT NPC portraits  need component 0 of Tales of Anegh (there is  no such component, only 1,20,30,40 and 50). Had to turn off 1350. Other than that I had to mark my installation as expert to enable to ignore incompatibilities ( possibly game breaking :o )  between TDD, ROT, Big's tweaks component 3600 ( Everybody gets ApR from proficiency, only Warriors from level ) and BG2 tweaks component 2210 True Grand Mastery ( just slightly modified by me) . Finally going for it, hope that Tymora will be with me!   :lol:

Edited by Greenhorn, 03 March 2016 - 08:15 AM.

#91 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:44 PM

deleted

Edited by agb1, 03 March 2016 - 01:46 PM.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

#92 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:44 PM

deleted

Edited by agb1, 03 March 2016 - 01:46 PM.

#93 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:45 PM

I remember reading that atweaks pnp dimension door is placed as expert in bws because you can potentially break the game with it by jumping over triggers that the game would otherwise not allow the player to circumvent.
True. But the component itself is not broken, so removing it from pre-selections seems sufficient. I've added a warning to the component description also.

components "Additional Racial Enemies" from Ding0 tweak pack and Enhanced BG2 are mutually exclusive
Thanks. Added BWS conflict rule for this.

Turambar fixes and tweaks component 2048 - Turambar's revised thieving skills and spell learning XP reward table should be in conflict with similar components from BGT tweaks ( 1900 ), atweaks ( 261/262) and EET tweaks (006). Not sure whether  BP- balancer components dealing with this should be included.
Thanks. Added rule. The BP Balancer components don't replace the table; they apply a patch that multiplies the values in the table by the chosen amount.
I'm not sure whether or not to include dispel magic and mirror image ( no protection from AoE spells) fixes from Spell revisions, I know that SCS component 1000 ( initialize) deals with MI but I think that Tobex also fixes this things with it's core component. Any hints, please?
I haven't looked into these components.

Few questions about those cool Diablo game kits. First I would like to know why whole set wasn't included in BWS (he released Amazon and Necromancer too beside Paladin and Barbarian)?
Are those separate downloads? Lots of mods aren't in BWS simply because no one has requested them. As a rule, BWS does not exclude any mods, it's just a matter of time and effort to add them to the tool.
I really don't know why Joshuar(Jkits) amazon kit is preferred to original amazon from RTT kit pack
Joshuar's version is newer (uses same slot) and is under active development. We usually give preference to newer mods in the conflict rules. This doesn't reflect a quality judgment.

Paladins of Faerun kitpack ... component 1000 of Divine remix ( sphere implementation )
Thanks. Fixed dependency rule.

Now, that component 5011 ( bladesinger kit for Keiria { that hot bard chick from DSotSC } ) of Turambar fixes and tweaks mod  looks really tempting but I'm confused by it's dependencies in BWS and warnings in BWP guide. So, it needs component 4030 ( bladesinger: needed for Keiria ) which needs component 2045: enable bard class for elves ( first it is marked as expert, about second issue a little further ahead ) which in turn need component 119 of TOBEX : remove all class restrictions and is also marked as red ( expert ). So if I turn all of this ( against my better judgment ) will I enable only elves to become bards ( acceptable ) or I will enable everyone to become anyone ( too radical, I don't want that )? In the meantime, until somebody take pity on me and explain this to me   :P  I have chosen  option to make her blade ( 5010)  which also require (?) 4030 option, gives me warning and puts me in the same loop as above. In this instance I choose to ignore it, don't see reason why blade Keiria should be dependent on bladesinger Keiria...
The dependency on TobEx 119 was incorrect. The "allow elves to be bards" tweak from Turambar's is sufficient for the Bladesinger kit. Also, you're right that the Blade kit for Keiria doesn't require the Bladesinger kit. All fixed now.
Minor error in conflict solving, component  1350 [Portraits for Tales of Anegh) of Geri BGT NPC portraits need component 0 of Tales of Anegh (there is  no such component, only 1,20,30,40 and 50).
Thanks. Fixed dependency rule.

#94 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:57 PM

Greenhorn said:
I'm not sure whether or not to include dispel magic and mirror image ( no protection from AoE spells) fixes from Spell revisions, I know that SCS component 1000 ( initialize) deals with MI but I think that Tobex also fixes this things with it's core component. Any hints, please?

I haven't looked into these components.

Although I didn't installed component 0 of Spell revisions and only tried to install these two fixes which are independent from the rest of the mod, conflict dependencies prevented me from installing them with the warning that Spell revision v3  overlap with Tobex components 103, 104 and 106. In the end I didn't want to bother and just removed those fixes. 

Greenhorn said:
Few questions about those cool Diablo game kits. First I would like to know why whole set wasn't included in BWS (he released Amazon and Necromancer too beside Paladin and Barbarian)?

Are those separate downloads? Lots of mods aren't in BWS simply because no one has requested them. As a rule, BWS does not exclude any mods, it's just a matter of time and effort to add them to the tool.

According to this: http://www.shsforums...series-for-bg2/ they are all rolled together. 

Whew, glad that I postponed great launching for tomorrow so I will have  chance to pick all those updates. In the end I want to thank you and all those involved in creating and maintaining of this great project/tool.  :cheers:  :new_thumbs:

#95 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:48 AM

I started with install of BWS and  while I was testing links for downloads Windows firewall and my AVG antivirus ( despite the fact that I turned it off ) gone wild in one moment although in second attempt all went smoothly. Anyway there are minor errors: 

-Summary-
These selected downloads are defect:

Animus: Sentient Weapon
Wheels of Prophecy
Lena NPC
Lester NPC
Tomoyo and the Underground City
Umbra of TROW - Arena
Runiczny Piesniarz Klingi (Rune Singer Blades)
Sentrizeal's Alternate Avatar Pack
Finished.

I managed to download all of these manually except Lena ( fortunately I downloaded her earlier on my hard disk ), if anyone want  her I will upload her after finishing BWS...

PS: firewall and AVG freaked because of wget...

Edited by Greenhorn, 04 March 2016 - 09:59 AM.

#96 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:48 AM

False alarm. wget is the open source program that BWS uses to check links and download files.

#97 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:01 PM

Should I be worried:  :unsure:

Untitled.png

#98 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:19 PM

No harm done, evidently.  But what did you do to cause BWS to try to remove the BiG World PDF from the selected list?

#99 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:30 PM

Absolutely nothing, on scouts honor.  :) Seems that BWS get little tired of all those downloading and started strike. I got two similar messages like that one above and pressed retry. Just paused the whole thing to answer you. Hope everything will turn right...

#100 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:27 PM

Maybe it wasn't able to download the PDF.  I've updated BWS to not require the PDF download.