Greenhorn's questions, bugs and findings about BWS

• Please log in to reply
397 replies to this topic

#41 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:53 AM

Yes - I thought I mentioned that in the SoB readme.  It's not a hard incompatibility - if you install both your game will play fine.  But they will stack - heavy weapons will have a -2 penalty to off-hand thac0, and light weapons will have a +1 bonus to both main-hand and off-hand thac0.

Actually now that I write it out, that doesn't seem so bad.  Some people might prefer to use both... but yeah BWS should probably show a warning so people know the two components both cover the same ground and people should probably just choose one.

#42 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:44 PM

Yes - I thought I mentioned that in the SoB readme.  It's not a hard incompatibility - if you install both your game will play fine.  But they will stack - heavy weapons will have a -2 penalty to off-hand thac0, and light weapons will have a +1 bonus to both main-hand and off-hand thac0.

Actually now that I write it out, that doesn't seem so bad.  Some people might prefer to use both... but yeah BWS should probably show a warning so people know the two components both cover the same ground and people should probably just choose one.

In any case it make sense from reality viewpoint  and they balance each other, one light and heavy weapon in each hand. But I guess people would still like to know about penalty stacking... 

#43 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:56 PM

Thanks - I've added a warning rule for this.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#44 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:11 PM

Heh, this thread should be renamed "Greenhorn's inconsequential warnings".  :D On to the SCS then. 

Prevent clones made by the Simulacrum and Project Image spells from using their magic items (BG2EE,BG2,BGT)

At present, clones can use magic items belonging to their creator - even one-shot items - which arguably isn't what the spell is intended to do. This component blocks use of useable items, by greying out the quick-item bar for clones. Magic weapons, armour, and protective devices still function normally.

Prevent Project Image and Simulacrum clones from using quickslot items
This component prevents illusionary clones created by the Project Image and Simulacrum spells from using expendable quickslot items such as potions, wands and scrolls. In effect, this tweak closes the exploit which previously allowed the player to get infinite uses out of one-time consumable items such as Protection from Magic scrolls.

This two components from SCS and atweaks should be mutually exclusive I think. Further more BWS list warning about SCS component 4110 - allow NPC to separate being incompatible with BG2 tweak component 4020 - TOB style NPC while probably referring to (not included in BWS) SCS component Allow player to choose BG1 NPC proficiencies and skills (TUTU,BGT). 

Also BWS claims that NEJ is incompatible with many SCS components ( which I don't argue ) which includes, strangely enough, component 3030 -  Reintroduce potions of extra-healing (TUTU,BGT,BGEE:o

That's all for tonight folks, stay tuned. :lol:   :clown:

#45 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:31 PM

Added "choose one" rule for aTweaks 205 vs SCS 2180 Simulacra/Projected Images tweak.

Fixed the SCS 4110 rule - thanks.

I'm not sure about that NEJ / SCS 3030 rule. Needs analysis before we remove it, I think.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

#46 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:05 AM

Those Big's tweak components about third edition ability scores look very interesting but they are all marked as expert. They probably are bugged and give incorrect bonuses? Been thinking to install wisdom ( changes nothing, only give moderate bonus to saves vs. spells, which is OK, couple of spells in unmodded game already refer to that, which is not implemented ). I see that intelligence is also enabled in BWS although in mod documentation there is no word of it. Digging through mod's tp2 file all I was able to find is that it is deprecated. Anyone know what that component actually do? Finally, those components of Big's tweak pack should probably be marked as incompatible with similar components from Scales of balance ( 200- Revised stat bonuses and 205 - Revised hit point tables). This things are probably in one way or another also in infamous ggiB_eht tweak pack ( I wish that someone translate components from that mod on normal english, my "dirty" english is not so good, only understood roughly 2/3 or 3/4 of it )  :rolleyes:  :lol: ...

#47 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:20 AM

Turambar fixes and tweaks component 2048 - Turambar's revised thieving skills and spell learning XP reward table should be in conflict with similar components from BGT tweaks ( 1900 ), atweaks ( 261/262) and EET tweaks (006). Not sure whether  BP- balancer components dealing with this should be included. Was long thinking which solution would be best, my ideal choice is quite simple: install EET on top of BWS after biffing and enable default BG2 values when I start SoA while for TotSC I will just use BGT default. Also I'm not sure whether or not to include dispel magic and mirror image ( no protection from AoE spells ) fixes from Spell revisions, I know that SCS component 1000 ( initialize ) deals with MI but I think that Tobex also fixes this things with it's core component. Any hints, please? 

#48 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:28 AM

I don't care what is preferred and what is not, I will take cbisson‘s FamiliarPack over WTP familiars any day. Dryad vs spider?! Spiders make me vomit, yuck!   :ROFL:

#49 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:26 AM

Holy Molly, just find that Item Pack MOD by Daulmakan  component Item Pack for Tutu/BGT  make three mods incompatible with it: Ruad, NTotSC and Vault which all use the same thing. Details:

There’s also a new item exclusive to the BG1 part of the game: Ulcaster Academy Ringwhich replaces The Vampire Sword as a reward for giving Ulcaster the Idol of Koza and the Ancient Armor

Lollorian, heelp! There is also minor incompatibility with PnP Free action:

Convenient Free Action Items

This will change the Flail of AgesIxil's Spike, and the Ring of Free Action so that they no longer prevent the wielder from being hasted (they will still provide protection against hold, slow, and other similar effects).

If installed on Tutu, the Ring of Free Action will be affected in the BG1 portion of the game too.

Ding0 tweak pack and Enhanced BG2, all add Cloak of Balduran:

. Extra Items

Adds a pair of Boots of Speed and a Potion Case to Ribald, a Bag of Holding to one of the containers near the Jailkeep Golem in Chateau Irenicus, the Cloak of Balduran to one of the chests in Irenicus' room, and an extra chunk of Illithium to Neb so you can upgrade the Mace of Disruption and complete Sir Sarles' quest at the same time.

but that is hair splitter, hardly ruining game balance or whatnot. 

#50 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:02 AM

Holy Molly, just find that Item Pack MOD by Daulmakan  component Item Pack for Tutu/BGT  make three mods incompatible with it: Ruad, NTotSC and Vault which all use the same thing. Details:

There’s also a new item exclusive to the BG1 part of the game: Ulcaster Academy Ringwhich replaces The Vampire Sword as a reward for giving Ulcaster the Idol of Koza and the Ancient Armor.

Well shit you're right - why do mods have to remove stuff from the game :(

What do you propose we do? We could make Ulcaster give BOTH the sword and ring - or we could probably make the sword/ring equipped by someone nearby... someone very skeleton-ey :shifty:

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#51 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:24 AM

There’s also a new item exclusive to the BG1 part of the game: Ulcaster Academy Ringwhich replaces The Vampire Sword as a reward for giving Ulcaster the Idol of Koza and the Ancient Armor.

Well shit you're right - why do mods have to remove stuff from the game :(

What do you propose we do? We could make Ulcaster give BOTH the sword and ring - or we could probably make the sword/ring equipped by someone nearby... someone very skeleton-ey :shifty:

I'm for first option, that guy is so packed with stuff that he probably has two skeleton lackeys, one with backpack , other with the suitcase. :ROFL:

Edited by Greenhorn, 25 February 2016 - 09:25 AM.

#52 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:32 AM

Congrats! You caught a bug as well :cheers: (BGT users never had the Ulcaster Ring in their game because the mod checked for an AR7200 instead of AR7200.ARE :lol:)

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#53 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:35 AM

YES!! That's me, mighty Grey... Uhm, cough...  :ROFL:

#54 micbaldur

micbaldur

Retired Perkele, Ultimate BWP player

• 1692 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 12:31 PM

Congrats! You caught a bug as well :cheers: (BGT users never had the Ulcaster Ring in their game because the mod checked for an AR7200 instead of AR7200.ARE :lol:)

Nice find Greenhorn. :cheers:

One question, Lollorian.

Does this old Vault mod issue (i reported here) where Vampire's Revenge (SW1H19.ITM) is removed and instead you get The Vampire's Revenge +1 (SW1HVAM.ITM) has affect in this fix?

I just wanted to know for sure.

CHARNAMEs excellent adventures in the world of BWP expert-install here

Thanks to Leonardo Watson for making this possible

#55 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 12:36 PM

It is clear that components "Additional Racial Enemies" from Ding0 tweak pack and Enhanced BG2 are mutually exclusive:

2DA V1.0
                        STRREF      IDS     STRREF_HELP
ANKHEG                  8441        101     99996
BEHOLDER                54770       123     54772
CARRIONCRAWLER          15966       104     15988
DEMONIC                 54760       121     54762
DRAGON                  54816       146     54817
ELEMENTAL               54814       145     54815
ETTERCAP                15969       107     15990
FAIRY                   54758       120     54759
GENIE                   54818       147     54819
GHOUL                   15970       108     15991
GIANT                   99999       142     99998
GIBBERLING              15971       109     15994
GITHYANKI               34273       152     99997
GNOLL                   15972       110     15995
GOLEM                   54812       144     54813
HOBGOBLIN               15973       111     15996
IMP                     54810       141     54811
KOBOLD                  15974       112     15997
KUO-TOA                 54806       135     54807
LICH                    54820       150     54821
LYCANTHROPE             54766       122     54767
MEPHIT                  54808       139     54809
MIND_FLAYER             54775       124     54776
OGRE                    15975       113     15998
ORC                     34784       143     99995
OTYUGH                  54782       127     54783
RAKSHASA                54788       128     54789
SAHUAGIN                54802       131     54803
SHADOW                  54804       132     54805
SKELETON                15976       115     15999
SLIME                   54749       119     54750
SPIDER                  15977       116     16000
TROLL                   54791       129     54793
UMBERHULK               54796       130     54798
VAMPIRE                 54779       125     54780
WYVERN                  9398        118     99994
YUAN-TI                 1323        154     99993

@17 = ~Additional Racial Enemies~
@18 = ~Giant~
@19 = ~These humongous humanoids possess exceptional physical power, but in many cases are lacking in intellect. Giants come in many shapes and sizes, but all boast remarkable strength of varying degrees and tower above the average adventurer. Caution is advised when any giant is encountered, lest one find oneself crushed beneath a mighty limb.~
@20 = ~Githyanki are a race descended from humans, dwelling primarily upon the Astral plane. They are humanoid in appearance and of a similar stature to the average man, but their yellow skin and gleaming black eyes immediately betray their extraplanar nature. Githyanki are intelligent, and effective in their use of weaponry and magic.~
@21 = ~These carnivorous burrowing creatures are often found in forests or on agricultural land. Not dissimilar to gigantic worms, Ankhegs possess sharply hooked legs which aid in burrowing, and powerful jaws which aid in nutrition. Their ability to project streams of corrosive enzymes at potential prey make them particularly threatening if encountered.~
@22 = ~Orcs are aggressive humanoid carnivores which band together in search of prey. Their survival revolves around territorial expansion, and as such, they are extremely aggressive towards most other races they encounter. Their tribal organisation means that lone Orcs are rarely if ever encountered, making them all the more dangerous.~
@23 = ~These gigantic winged lizards are distant cousins to the dragon. Their enormous body is around half tail, which is armed with a poisoned barb tip. Where wyverns lack in intelligence, they make up for in aggression, and consequently many adventurers have fallen prey to their deadly venom.~
@24 = ~Distant descendants of humans, Yuan-Ti are vile reptilian creatures, with varying degrees of snakelike appendages. While some may pass for human, others are almost entirely reptilian. Yuan-Ti are not only highly intelligent and evil, but also tend to band together, making them extremely threatening.~

Ding0 stuff

@35 = ~New racial enemies~
@36 = ~Yuan-Ti~
@37 = ~Yuan-Ti are very mysterious race of warlike snakemen. They are serpentine, even if they do not look like it. They are very intelligent and are difficult opponents in battle. They do not wear armour, because their thick, scaley hide provides sufficient protection. Yuan-Ti move quickly on their muscled tails, since they did not develop legs. It is rare to meet a single Yuan-Ti, because they live in large groups.~
@38 = ~Gnoll~
@39 = ~Gnolls are humanoids with the heads of hyenas, and are completely covered with fur. They are evil and twisted creatures and usually encountered in loosely organized groups. They are well-known because for their cruelty. In battle their actions are usually chaotic.~
@40 = ~Wyvern~
@41 = ~Wyverns are big creatures, closely related to dragons. Unlike dragons, these creatures do not possess front paws. However, Wyverns do have strong, deadly dangerous back limbs. An adult wyvern can lift large cattle and sometimes even larger animals.~
@42 = ~Skeleton~
@43 = ~Skeletons are animated magic bones. A skeleton is not a difficult opponent, because their bones can be easily crushed. If a skeleton isn't controlled by some higher force, they were probably a group, that survived after death of their master. Such skeletons have only one purpose - uncontrolled killing.~
@44 = ~Zombie~
@45 = ~Zombies, similar to skeletons, are corpses animated by magic. The bodies of these undead creatures are still pretty fresh. Most zombies are passive creatures. Some, thanks to magic, became completely subjected to the will of the mage who animated them. Which is how they are often used for evil aims. Some of these poor undead creatures do not even know that they are dead.~

and Nastian stuff. 

Also I should add that I been at the Pocket plane.net about that Additional shadow thief content bug of which I reported earlier. Here is the post: http://forums.pocket...ic,29501.0.html

Then I tested it on clean, patched ToB with full Quest pack 3.2 without Fixpack and any other mod. All went well. I will install this component although it's quite possible that this bug still can be triggered under specific conditions and mods combination. 

Greenhorn out for tonight.  :lol:  :cheers:

Edited by Greenhorn, 25 February 2016 - 12:38 PM.

#56 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:02 AM

Little bit about  inflation of IWD items on the Sword coast and Lands of intrigue.  :P There are three such mods which  duplicate such items: Under-Represented Items Mod ( Twelve Paces, Belib's Everlasting Torch ), Item Pack v1.8 and Item Pack for Tutu/BGT ( components of the mod made by Daulmakan: The Black Wolf Talisman, House of Despana Insignia, The Sash of the Black Raven ) and IWD Item pack in  which are included said items but is fragmented in separate components for each item. I'm not  bothered by that and intend to install them all to see are they exactly the same but some people could find this annoying, in that case just deselect duplicate content from the last mod...

#57 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:56 AM

Don't know if anybody really paid attention to it but I noticed that bunch of mods use same hotkeys which can trigger all sorts of troubles. Just saw that gMinion and Macholy's Relationship both use E, that means one of them goes out ( in this case Relationship). Just now I have brain bleeding trying to remember which mod uses K over characters portraits for one reason or another...

Edited by Greenhorn, 26 February 2016 - 06:58 AM.

#58 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:09 AM

Yep, Relationship use K which is needed by Big's tweaks: Improved Difficulty System. On second thought it would probably be best to deselect all party AI scripts which I use rarely anyway. Wild Mage Additions component:

MISC SPELL MODIFICATIONS

This component is independent of the other components, and modifies some of
         the original spells:

"Magic Missiles" 
           The missiles now always do 1d4+1 points of damage, as they're supposed to.
           Originally it was 2d2 at level 3-8 and 2d2+1 at levels 1,2 and 9+

"Dimension Door" 
           Like dozens of other wizards in the game, you now can target any nearby place
           you've already visited. There no longer needs to be a clear path within the 
           caster's viewing distance that leads to the destination-area. You can select
           any place within the area where you've been already. (This component doesn't 
           include scrolls to learn the spell, if you don't play a spellshaper you need
           another mod, or use Shadowkeeper to learn the spell or get the scroll)

is probably not needed in BWS because first part of it correct BG2 fixpack if I remember correctly and second aTweaks component PnP Dimension Door which is unfortunately marked as expert. I guess it can still come handy if you don't use aTweaks as I'm almost sure that DSotSC ships couple of Dimension door scrolls... 

#59 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:19 PM

aTweaks' Dimension Door works fine, actually, and shouldn't be Expert... Will fix later today.

#60 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:21 PM

Xan BG2 Voice also uses K hot key (with Xan selected) to "reapply" the mod's voice references in case something else overwrote them...