Photo

Sandrah Saga for EET (Bug and Support Forum)

EET Mega Mod

• Please log in to reply
1095 replies to this topic

#21 zonx

zonx
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:57 PM

How would I locate the bad .tis file? No .tis files in my override (besides the handful I copied in to test). 

If I copy generalized_biffing\prod\0\biffs\20\CVDRU0.TIS into override the area is fine. If I copy sandrahnpc\areas\CVDRU0.TIS into override the area is fine too. Without either CVDRU0.TIS in the override the area is corrupt. Does biffing move it to somewhere else?

Would it exist somewhere else? Sorry my windows search is completely hopeless (probably related to modding games too much).

Edited by zonx, 30 November 2016 - 12:58 PM.

#22 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:35 PM

The file in generalized_biffing\prod\0\biffs\20\CVDRU0.TIS is pre-biffing (this is the file that will be packed into one of the biffs created by Generalized Biffing).

Generalized biffing creates tb#gen###.bif archive files in the data folder each containing a large chunk of files from your override.  A bif is like a special zip format.  The (classic) engine finds it easier to manage a small number of biffs than 200,000 small separate files in your override folder.

If you remove the .tis file from your override folder (since override has highest priority for the game), then open Near Infinity and search for CVDRU0.TIS, it will find the copy in one of the TB#GEN###.bif files (probably TB#GEN20.bif since that's the backup folder it was in).  Near Infinity also lets you "export" a file from a bif so you can save it as a separate .tis file somewhere on your computer, then attach it here.  Or you can just upload the whole .bif file if you want.

Edit:  In theory, the data that the game reads from the biff when loading CVDRU0.TIS should be identical to the contents of the file in generalized_biffing\prod\0\biffs\20\CVDRU0.TIS...  this is what I want to verify.

Edit2: Typo.

Edited by agb1, 30 November 2016 - 01:47 PM.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#23 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:39 PM

Also, general service tip:  http://stefanstools....et/grepWin.html is a great tool for finding files with a certain name or files containing certain text.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

#24 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:41 PM

The file in generalized_biffing\prod\0\biffs\20\CVDRU0.TIS is pre-biffing (this is the file that will be packed into one of the biffs created by Generalized Biffing).

Generalized biffing creates tb#gen###.bif archive files in the data folder each containing a large chunk of files from your override.  A bif is like a special zip format.  The (classic) engine finds it easier to manage a small number of biffs than 200,000 small separate files in your override folder.

If you remove the .tis file from your override folder (since override has highest priority for the game), then open Near Infinity and search for CVSRU0.TIS, it will find the copy in one of the TB#GEN###.bif files (probably TB#GEN20.bif since that's the backup folder it was in).  Near Infinity also lets you "export" a file from a bif so you can save it as a separate .tis file somewhere on your computer, then attach it here.  Or you can just upload the whole .bif file if you want.

Edit:  In theory, the data that the game reads from the biff when loading CVDRU0.TIS should be identical to the contents of the file in generalized_biffing\prod\0\biffs\20\CVDRU0.TIS...  this is what I want to verify.

Do you know if the tis file and the associated PVRZ's must be in the same folder (or same bif) maybe? I cannot see any other association between them other than the file names.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#25 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:45 PM

I do not know.  Interesting possibility that.

#26 zonx

zonx
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:30 PM

Cool that makes sense. The file is attached, but placing it in override does seem to make the area appear just fine. And yes you were spot on, extracted from tb#gen20.bif

Attached Files

#27 zonx

zonx
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:48 AM

Running a new install with today's updated BWS (no biffing) and quickly checking the areas mentioned and all is good. Just a quick update.

#28 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:50 AM

Running a new install with today's updated BWS (no biffing) and quickly checking the areas mentioned and all is good. Just a quick update.

Thanks, good news.

The Sandrah Saga

#29 -Mahatmah-

-Mahatmah-

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:33 AM

Hello Roxanne,

I was planning to include the Sandrah Saga in a fresh EET install (the new content sounds gigantic !).
I understand it is best used in combination with some other content mods I did not usually use (which is not a problem).

- I was just wondering about the possibility to skip Sandrah and her content completely.
What I mean is, I like to try very different runs, and might just decide to go for an evil PC and an evil party, and push her in front of the first bear out of Candlekeep to secure my escape.
Is this type of playthrough possible or would you advice against it ?

- I had also concerns about the ToB part of the game :
You recommand using Ascencion + The Longer Road (I know there was some compatibility issues between these two in the past), and The Longer Road did not make it to the EET compatibility list. Any thoughts ?

#30 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:53 AM

Found an error in the Talos priest's script (set a global was in a wrong position and did not work).

Corrected, for an ongoing game just extract this into override

Attached File  CVTALOA.zip   610bytes   277 downloads

The Sandrah Saga

#31 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 04:00 AM

Hello Roxanne,

I was planning to include the Sandrah Saga in a fresh EET install (the new content sounds gigantic !).
I understand it is best used in combination with some other content mods I did not usually use (which is not a problem).

- I was just wondering about the possibility to skip Sandrah and her content completely.
What I mean is, I like to try very different runs, and might just decide to go for an evil PC and an evil party, and push her in front of the first bear out of Candlekeep to secure my escape.
Is this type of playthrough possible or would you advice against it ?

Sandrah can join an evil party - it just depends on how you manage that evil party (are you really killing innocent children or are your party members just labeled EVIL?)

You can skip her by simply not letting her join, just like any other NPC.

- I had also concerns about the ToB part of the game :
You recommand using Ascencion + The Longer Road (I know there was some compatibility issues between these two in the past), and The Longer Road did not make it to the EET compatibility list. Any thoughts ?

You need some kind of Ascencion mod to finish her (unless you feed her to the bear in chapter one already). Longer Road is not yet in EET and that is no issue - it would improve ToB with Sandrah but is not essential.

The Sandrah Saga

#32 zonx

zonx
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:13 AM

Does Sandrah have some duplicated special abilities? I have spell revisions so maybe some spells were combined? See pic. She's 6/6 atm.

#33 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:23 AM

Does Sandrah have some duplicated special abilities? I have spell revisions so maybe some spells were combined? See pic. She's 6/6 atm.

It is not a duplication really. Some mods add similar spells. I have also seen two types of healing potions and two types of healing scrolls. These things simply do not stack in the inventory or spell slots. In my experience they do the same things thus not creating any issues as far as I have experienced. (and it is not directly related to Sandrah). My assumption is that it comes from the way EET has to import SoD resources. It seems to be more a *cosmetic* issue.

PS - I have not yet tested EET with any of the big tweak mods. They have been designed originally for another game (old BG) and just technically been converted for EE. I am awaiting still the justification why they are a MUST also in EET.

Edited by Roxanne, 07 December 2016 - 02:28 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#34 -Lightbringer-

-Lightbringer-

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:05 PM

Hi Roxanne,

I just gave a go at installing the full Sandrah setup with BWS.  I ran into a series of errors at the end, all involving the Sandrah mod.  The components from Mod Interactions on down would not install, due to a COPY_TRANS out of range error. I included a copy/paste from the BWS error log and my mod list, since I don't seem to be able upload files to forum posts.  Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Weidu.log

Spoiler

Weidu-BGEE.log

Spoiler

Excerpts from BWSdebug

Spoiler

#35 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:50 PM

I found the case the log refers to but I did not find any error in the Sandrah mod about it,

You have Gavin mod installed with B!GavinJ.dlg, This dialogue has almost 4000 states, Sandrah finds the mod in your install and tries to append (Interject) to state 2180 which should be there - but for some unknown reason is not in your install.

All the following errors are irrelevant as they are caused by this error as component 12 is not installed.

So why is that state not in B!GavinJ.dlg? Either

- the mod itself was not correctly installed in BGEE part

- the dialogue was not correctly importef by EET into BG2EE where Sandrah compiles.

Gavin is a BG1 NPC only, i.e EET just imports it. It does not merge it with BG2 contents or such.

Maybe you could take a look at B!GavinJ.dlg (with NI for example) both in your BGEE and BG2EE to see if you find anything strange with it?

Edited by Roxanne, 08 December 2016 - 12:02 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#36 -Lightbringer-

-Lightbringer-

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:56 AM

So it looks like all the following  errors cascaded from the one error with the Gavin mod, huh?  Interesting. 

Actually, the only reason why Gavin is installing is because I goofed when trying to resolve a dependency with Isra crossmod (still getting used to BWS). I'll retry my Setup without Gavin and see if that removes the issue.

Thanks for the quick reply!

#37 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:03 AM

So it looks like all the following  errors cascaded from the one error with the Gavin mod, huh?  Interesting. 

Actually, the only reason why Gavin is installing is because I goofed when trying to resolve a dependency with Isra crossmod (still getting used to BWS). I'll retry my Setup without Gavin and see if that removes the issue.

The succeeding errors come from the fact that the component containing Gavin was not installed. If you are familiar with tp2 code, you could just remove the Gavin option from SandrahNPC.tp2 and see if the rest will install correctly.

Just look for this in the tp2 and delete it

Spoiler

This way we can be sure that this really was the only error. For me it looks like a local problem as it has not been reported before (Gavin is an often installed NPC, even if not too many use him in game.).

Edited by Roxanne, 08 December 2016 - 01:06 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#38 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:29 AM

The issue here is that only Gavin's core component #0 was installed, not #1 (romance) or #2 (flirts).  The dialogue state that Sandrah is patching is presumably added by one of those components, but the code in Sandrah's tp2 is only checking if Gavin exists, which is true already after component #0.

Edit:  Gavin component #13 is his PID, which also might be the component needed.

I wonder if we should add a rule in BWS that Gavin #0 cannot be installed without #1, #2 and #13?

Edited by agb1, 08 December 2016 - 06:30 AM.

#39 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:39 AM

The issue here is that only Gavin's core component #0 was installed, not #1 (romance) or #2 (flirts).  The dialogue state that Sandrah is patching is presumably added by one of those components, but the code in Sandrah's tp2 is only checking if Gavin exists, which is true already after component #0.

Edit:  Gavin component #13 is his PID, which also might be the component needed.

I wonder if we should add a rule in BWS that Gavin #0 cannot be installed without #1, #2 and #13?

A good hint I forgot to look at this possibility. From the content this may be the case (it is a comment on his romance).

Edited by Roxanne, 08 December 2016 - 06:43 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#40 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:55 AM

I have checked out agb1's hint with respect to Gavin's components - and this is indeed the case here.

Sandrah checks for a file that is introduced by Gavin component #0 but the dialogue append is to #1.

This probably is a general issue for all of Sandrah mod interaction - it checks just for the global presence of another mod and (falsly) anticipates that the complete mod is installed. It is almost impossible for added contents to provide for all the when's and if's of another mods that is only partly installed.

While such checks are essential to tweak mods with independent components that affect each other, I see little practical chance how a contents mod should do this, especially when the several components all add to the same dlg and bcs files of an NPC.

Any suggestion to solve this would be helpful. (I know it could be done by checking entries in weidu.log and only assume presence of a mod if all components are there, but this is quite impractible for mods that may easily chamge their structure.). BWS could do it, since it is always up-to-date for all supported mods. Players not using BWS may get errors still...

It is even more inpractible for an example such as this - component #0 (all contents) component #1 (alternative portrait for the NPC). Obviously #1 has no impact at all on crossmod.

However you do it - you do it wrong.

PS - I understand that in the present case the selection of the single Gavin component was even erroneous, and the intention was to de-select the whole mod anyway.

Edited by Roxanne, 08 December 2016 - 07:16 AM.

The Sandrah Saga