Assertion Error at line 1124 where Annah shows where she found my dead

Error Assertion Assertion error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MaxODidily

MaxODidily
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:23 PM

Hey guys, so I have just gotten into PST and am loving the game. So I was blessed for my dad to give me an original version (2 disk version). Now my Optical drive is noisy so I extracted the isos from the discs and virtually mount them. (I also did this for NWN2 and had 0 issues)

So I installed the game following this guide: http://thunderpeel20...lly-modded.html

I had 0 issues running the game and I was having a blast, the story and characters are written beautifully and don't remember feeling so attached to characters since I played Undertale.

Now here is where the fun comes to an end.

I arrive at the place where Annah found my body and some dialoge and 2 cutscenes play. (TNO getting destroyed and Annah finding us). Then some more talking occurs and we need to kill some guy to allow a wall to duplicate (can't remember off the top of my head). After the interaction is over, if I move any party member the game will crash and give me an error message off: "An Assertion failed in D:\Torment\Source\chitin\ChVidPal.cpp at the line number 1124".

This error would also occur if I stayed still for a few seconds.

So when I saw this I instantly knew that an assertion is used in error handling (if the assert statement is false then send a crash error and close the game in simple terms).

So I did some searching online about this error and found some with the same but they get it during the start of the game, while I didn't. Kinda wierd.

So I took it upon myself to try fix the issue myself. So I crated backups of my save files and the whole install folder for PST (just incase I mess everything up and cba reinstalling everything).

I uninstalled one mod at a time (the link at the start of this thread has all mods I installed). Still got the same error.

So I reinstalled PST and checked if the error still occured. It didn't BUT the game crashed if I left the room of the save file. (No error message, just not responding)

So I fugured it's because my save files were created when I had a modded game. So I got my backup and coppied all files to the exact location they were in before.

Now I get a different error when clicking "play". The error is "Error stating torment.exe". Not 100% idea why this is occuriung.

So I know this is all a big mess but I would love to continue the game and am new to the modding scene for Infinity games.

Here is my torment.ini file:

[Alias]
HD0:=G:\Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\Planescape - Torment\
CD1:=G:\Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\Planescape - Torment\CDALL
CD2:=G:\Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\Planescape - Torment\CDALL
CD3:=G:\Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\Planescape - Torment\CDALL
CD4:=G:\Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\Planescape - Torment\CDALL

[Config]
CacheSize=1

[Movies]
BISLOGO=1
TSRLOGO=1
OPENING=1
SS_MSLAB=1
SIGIL=1
TIME=1
SS_PHARD=1
SS_ADETH=1

[Game Options]
Footsteps=1
Mouse Scroll Speed=50
GUI Feedback Level=5
Locator Feedback Level=3
Command Sounds Frequency=3
Selection Sounds Frequency=3
Bored Timeout=3000
Always Dither=0
Keyboard Scroll Speed=50
Effect Text Level=62
Attack Sounds=1
Auto Pause State=0
Difficulty Level=3
Quick Item Mapping=1
Always Run=0
Memory Access=100
Memory Level=1
Health Bar Settings=48
Subtitles=0
Environmental Audio=1
Sound Processing=1
Music Processing=1

[Program Options]
Tooltips=0
Sprite Mirror=1
Gamma Correction=0
Brightness Correction=0
Volume Movie=31
Volume Music=25
Volume Voices=66
Volume Ambients=35
Volume SFX=45
Strref On=0
Screen Position X=0
Screen Position Y=0
Full Screen=1
Path Search Nodes=32000
Maximum Frame Rate=40
Translucent Shadows=1
SoftSrcKeyBltFast=0
SoftBltFast=0
SoftSrcKeyBlt=0
SoftBlt=0
SoftMirrorBlt=0

Update: In my PST install folder I can run "torment.exe" to get the game to run. So now all we have left is the error after the interaction is over.

Also during the interaction the wall is talking to you, when showing my dad the erroe he asked me "where is the head in the wall?". I looked at him oddly but after looking at a few let's plays I saw a head. Does this link to the error or is it what I get for playing in 1080p?

FrFc5ug2.png

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read my post, if you have any idea or know anyone with any leads then that would be appriciated. Hope you all have a nice day.

Edited by MaxODidily, 19 February 2017 - 03:25 PM.

#2 MaxODidily

MaxODidily
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:05 PM

Right guys, not sure if double posting is allowed but here I go.

After a lot of playing about I found a very simple fix to this bug.

Change the res via the widescreem mod ("setup-widescreen.exe") where PST is installed (For me it is "G:\Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\Planescape - Torment").

Backup your save files somewhere as it is better to be safe than sorry. (I don't want to be responsible if your files get corrupt or something else which is bad)

Simply request to reinstall (I did this) and when asked for the resolution use 1024 x 768 (X = 1024 and Y = 768). Also make sure you say yes to updating all the save files.

Wait a bit then you shouldn't get any error after the interaction is over.

Hope this helped for anyone who is getting a similar or the same issue as me.

Hope you have a good day.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Error, Assertion, Assertion error