Photo

Does anything prevent having a second familiar?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:32 PM

The Find Familiar spell can't be cast a second time, but what if a familiar is given another way, directly? And would anything get in the way of a non-magic-user having a familiar? Also I don't remember if a familiar can be brought back from death with another casting. Can it? In that case what would be the consequences of having another familiar already on board? Would the spell fail?

Actually I don't know what Beamdog has done to familiars, if anything. Never played with them in the new editions. I remember they could be used as mouthpieces for the caster, hopping about and talking to people, in the original BG2. Can they still do that? If so, then this is the only property of familiars I'm really interested in. I'd like to have it separately from the CON loss on death, extra hit points and what have you. I'd like to make a small creature that a party member, not necessarily the protagonist, could pick up in the wild and keep it as a friend/pet, send it out to talk to people, but without everything else familiars are burdened with. Is that possible?

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5151 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:44 PM

The Find Familiar spell can't be cast a second time, but what if a familiar is given another way, directly? And would anything get in the way of a non-magic-user having a familiar? Also I don't remember if a familiar can be brought back from death with another casting. Can it? In that case what would be the consequences of having another familiar already on board? Would the spell fail?

Questions you could easily find the answer to by trying.
You can't have two familiars mostly cause the one needs to follow you, and it does so by attaching itself to be the "familiar" via add familiar action.
You can bring your familiar back from death by just recasting the spell... which summons the added familiar the command made it to be... so you can only have one ... the casted spell just doesn't do it's summon if you already have a familiar present.

Possible... yes, there's already a wolf and a genie as a non-party_member_non-familiar_pets. And a NPC's Gaunt-familiar, ouh and a mule.

Edited by The Imp, 04 June 2017 - 02:47 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:10 PM

Good, good. I'm not looking to break any terribly new ground with this, I just want a nice creature. But the action you linked to doesn't say only one creature can be attached this way. And FAMILIAR by itself is just an EA or Allegiance category. So where does the other stuff come from? In particular, how do I get a creature to work as a mouthpiece?