Photo

Why Imoen should be romanceable

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#181 -Drasius-

-Drasius-

Posted 23 April 2004 - 07:21 PM

Why deny people the chance? Because I want to develop Imoen along Imoen lines. I wish to take her character and run with it in relevant and logical directions. Therefore the player will be free to explore in whichever direction they wish, but Imoen will react, as she always does, in an Imoen way. Hence this debate; how would you expect Imoen to react to the player coming onto her?

I would expect the same reaction that most others would suspect her of having if the suggestion is posed quickly or with a lack of tact; shock, disgust and perhaps revultion(depending on former conversations).

However, if the matter is approached slowly, subtly, at appropriate times and occasions, then I would have to say that it is indeed very possible that it a romace could develop between PC and Imoen.

This is probably not the best example, but it is the most relevant one I can think of at the moment;

Imoen is having nightmares about her torture still, PC chooses to either:
1)Talk with her about it in a friendly, supportive manner
2)Say nothing and simply hold her and let her tell you her problems
3)Dismiss her concerns as childish and weak
4)Tell her that this isn't the time for this and they will talk later
5)Think of a funny anecdote relating to when they were children
6)Listen carefully then give her advice based on your own experiences
7)Relate some of your own hardships, then say how you overcame yours
8)Exagerate your own hardships and belittle hers

or something along those lines, with something like 2) allowing for close contact with a deep bond, perhaps furthered in future talks and situations, something shared due to PC and Imoen's unique situation, a reliance upon each other as a source of strength and trust.

1), 6) or 7) perhaps being the friendship path, allowing for a close caring relationship with your sister, or a more distant relationship, with a general sense that she is closer to you than other party members.

8) perhaps leading to the Evil domineering controller of a scared little girl/young woman that most prefer to the "beat her face to a pulp" bad guy best represented by 3).

Such things could also apply to dreams and situations about the slayer, ie;

Imoen:Have you ever thought about "just letting go", Ya' know, letting the slayer just take over and destoy your enemies, like with bhodi in spellhold?

PC:
1)Yes, reason(good)
2)Yes, other reason(evil)
3)Yes, ... why, have you been haing those sort of dreams, or a transformation?
4)No, reason
5)No, other reason
6)No, ...why, have you been haing those sort of dreams, or a transformation?
7)Why, have you been haing those sort of dreams, or a transformation?
8)This isn't something I wish to discuss

As I have probably not made my point clear, I shall attempt to reiterate. Have Imoen be romanceable through the slow guiding of her view of the relationship between PC and herself, with her viewing the idea of a relationship as wrong early(allowing that idea to continue if the player so chooses, of course), with her... I would say slowly warming to the idea, but that wouldn't be what I meant.

Perhaps saying that as time went on, and of course depending on the situation and dialouge choices, she would become...more receptive to the idea that there could possibly be more to her and PC than she had thought.

One of the major issues to decide would be that of how it is persued. Does PC have an interest in Imoen from day one? Does Imoen have feeling for PC, though either doesn't want to explore them due to the nature of thespellholdstudios.net existing relationship, or they develop into something more over time and through their conversations? Does PC slowly develop an interest in Imoen over time( I would have to say that this is somewhat an unlikely choice, the whole kidnapping, torture and stolen soul thing would be enough to bring those sort of feelings to the surface right quick I woud imagine)?

To answer your query more directly, I would imagine that with time and subtle...(I want to say manipulation, but that would a) sound bad, and B) be a misinterpretation of what I mean) guiding by the player, it would be entirely possible for Imoen to develop or encourage any romantic feeling she had for PC.

Take it all with a grain of salt, I'm hardly going to be objective about it, I could be skewing Imoen's character simply bacause that is how I wish to see her, and to achieve the result I desire, but I can honestly say, I belive Imoen would be receptive if the situation was handled and presented in the proper fashion.

Please note the usage of "player" to denote the human playing the game, and "PC" for the digital representation, in some cases, it's rather important.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to read all of the input from the people here, I'm sure it will lead to a more accurate Imoen in the end.

#182 kirkjobsluder

kirkjobsluder
  • 222 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 08:18 PM

Here again, is my take on it.

CHARNAME: Imoen, I love you.

Imoen: I love you too CHARNAME.

CHARNAME: No, I mean I LOVE you. (tries to kiss Imoen).

Imoen: Oh, Auntie Jaheira, CHARNAME is being weird again!

Jaheira: Don't call me auntie, and if I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times, we are never going to get to Trademeet if you keep picking on your sister.

Jan: Are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet?

I agree that Imoen sees herself as CHARNAME's sister, even going back to BGI.

#183 The Masked Marionette

The Masked Marionette
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 01:46 PM

*giggles at above post*

...Ahem. Yes....

In response to Drasius:

I think that's a pretty good idea... If a romance with Imoen were to work, I think a slow paced one would be the way to go.
However, from the way Imoen is, I still get the idea that, even if she started feeling more than brotherly/sisterly/whateverly love for the PC over time, she would be more likely to be a bit freaked out by it than think "Well, you love me, and I think I love you, so let's get together!"

It IS difficult to be objective on this... I find it incredibly difficult to comprehend a relationship between Little Immy and the PC working... But, then again, that's because I see her as the little sister figure, which it's clear Bioware were going for...

I think my brain just expired. :wacko:
The final curtain will fall...

#184 kirkjobsluder

kirkjobsluder
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 07:44 PM

Here is my version:

"Remember when Gorion first brought me to Candlekeep? He had to go do something, I don't know, tune the chanters perhaps. So he ended up dumping me on you and said 'take care of her.' I hated being there, and I hated Gorion at first, and I hated you, this older kid that was told to take care of me. So I tried to escape. I mean, you take care of me? You were not that much older than me!

"I was sneaking around, looking for a way to get out. But I was only 6 so of course Gorion caught me. I thought I was going to get the wolloping of my life. That's what my 'uncle' and 'aunt' would have done. But instead, he just sat down at eye level with me and listened as I gave him a piece of my mind. I don't remember what all I said, but when I said, 'And I don't need him to take care of me,' he just laughed.

"Then he swore me to keep a secret. Made me swear on his staff. I just laughed but did it anyway. But something 'bout swearing it his staff made me realize that I could not break this secret, at least not while he was alive.

"He told me our father was a great prince. That people wanted to kill us so we had to keep our identities a secret. But most importantly, he said that I should always remember that you are the only true family that I have, and he brought me here so that I would take care of you. At the end of the story, I had bought it. Hook, line and sinker. He made me swear to be a good sister to you and that's probably the only promise to him I've ever kept. Once he told me you were my real family, I decided at that point forward that I would be the best sister you could ever have.

"Of course, as I grew a bit older, I thought, 'that old man was pulling my leg.' Funny how that works out. About the time I decide that adopted family is just as true as blood family, it turns out that we are siblings after all.

"I know you want to be something, different. That's something I'll have to live with. But I don't think I can see you as something other than my moody brother that I mercilessly tease but stick with through thick or thin. I'd rather be your sister for the rest of my life, than to be your lover for a few years and then nothing (or worse) to you.

"Gee, that was long winded. Say, isn't that a blue speckled unicorn over there?"

#185 tripleRRR

tripleRRR
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 11:20 PM

Well that was some good writing, sounds a little too serious for Imoen, though. Even after spellhold.

TripleRRR

#186 Keltosh

Keltosh
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 09:06 AM

Hmm well time to say what i think of this thread...
As Quitch said, it will be possible for CHARNAME to try to woo Imoen. And i think it right cause many players seems to want it, so why not? I mean, we've had Soulafein who'd romance anyone and Chloe who's only go for women. So, since imho CHARNAME and Imoen are not biologically related, there should be a possibility for a romance path in this mod. (As for me, i'll play it many times to see all ther possible outcomes anyway :) )
Now, on to the hardest question. How would Imoen react to CHARNAME?
It seems to me, from the threads in this forum, that Quitch intend this mod so that it would be CHARNAME to take the initiative. So the initial idea, so to speak, would be Charname's.
Before going over my ideas, i think we must all remember that BG2 takes place in the FORGOTTEN REALMS! Not in our world. With this i mean, we must not think Imoen grew up in OUR cultural environment. Most of our customs and beliefs stem directly from religions. Even if some of us are not religious, still the cultural environment we grew up in derives strongly from some religious beliefs.
I just went over all the official material on FORGOTTEN REALMS that i could find (NO NOVELS ...) and i never found references against homosexuals or incest. Sure you could say those things might be taken for granted but i don't think so ( i mean ... there's even Sune.. goddess of.. err... love and sex...). So, i'm not saying that those things are the norms, just that there are no indications they are condemned.
Now before somebody stones me to death, with this i want to say that while many persons in the realms would believe such a romance ODD, it does not seem to me such a NO-NO as it is in our world (have you ever seen in the real world a religion that goes around with the motto :"More sex for everyone" like Sune's???)
Now (AT LAST :) ) how would Imoen react? Of course if you are forceful, she WILL take it badly. She's a cheerful girl, but that doesn't mean she'll have sex with anyone who comes over her. But what if you're slow, caring, understanding and NOT pushy? Consider you saved her and you're her only support, consider that you fight to recover her soul from Bodhi and that (EVEN IN REAL LIFE) feelings CAN change.
Well, she would surely be shocked and unsure of how she feels, and might very well turn you down on the spot at first, but i do not think she would be DISGUSTED. Maybe she would take it as a sort of joke at first, or try to ignore you, but considering her cheerful and affectionate character, the fact you're not biologically related and the different cultural environment i explained before i do not think she would hate you for such a thing.
So i think in the long run she could return CHARNAME's love all things considered. This however should be DIFFICULT to accomplish!
The timer is ok as a first step (do NOT let her wait for long, she must KNOW you care for her enough to risk your life immediately to come to her rescue!!) but it should NOT be enough. I like the idea of stat requirement. You could say "it's not right, i want a STR 19 DEX 19 barbarian!" but i do not think Quitch should care for that. You can do a barbarian with, say, 16 in those 2 stats to have some more INT and WIS and CHA. I say this because if you want to romance Imoen you must be able to understand and judge her reactions and thoughts, since it is probably not something she has considered at first. You may say this makes it easier for mages and clerics and paladins, but hey, nobody said life is faispellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netr :) (and those classes will have a harder time trying to go with haste to spellhold)
Also, i think the dialogues should be long and plentiful (Quitch may hate me for that) cause surely 20 phrases will NOT be enough to bring about such a change in Imoen's feelings (that is what i hated of the 3 bioware's romances.. too little dialogue..) Consider though that the bioware chars must go through friendship talks, while Imoen and CHARNAME's relationship starts MUCH more developed, so it's not that difficult.
So in conclusion i think Imoen may come to love CHARNAME given the conditions above. And well, yes, i would love to play such a path in this mod, though i'll play them all :) :)
Hmm it came out a long post but i think SOME of you will ike it :D

#187 kirkjobsluder

kirkjobsluder
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 11:54 AM

I just went over all the official material on FORGOTTEN REALMS that i could find (NO NOVELS ...) and i never found references against homosexuals or incest. Sure you could say those things might be taken for granted but i don't think so ( i mean ... there's even Sune.. goddess of.. err... love and sex...). So, i'm not saying that those things are the norms, just that there are no indications they are condemned.

Well, on the other hand ;) The FR is intended to be a springboard. Not everything about the cultures of the FR can be included in the source materials. Where there is a gap in the source materials, we should make a reasonable inference based on what we know about the cultures on which FR is loosely based. So it is reasonable to infer that some homosexuality and incest taboos would exist because many real-world human cultures are ambivalent about these relationships. Personally, I find multi-cultural settings in which there may be conflict over relationship taboos to be interesting.

Saying that "there is no indication in the source material" is a bit of a cop out. The source material is not intended to be exaustive, and the responsibility for defining what really happens in a campaign setting is left up to the DM.

#188 Keltosh

Keltosh
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 12:10 PM

That may be true, but what i want to point out is that, by the book, there is nothing that says something STRONGLY in that direction.
For that matter, every mod can be said an interpretation of a "DM" ( a modder :D)

#189 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 01:50 PM

Hmm well time to say what i think of this thread...
As Quitch said, it will be possible for CHARNAME to try to woo Imoen. And i think it right cause many players seems to want it, so why not? I mean, we've had Soulafein who'd romance anyone and Chloe who's only go for women. So, since imho CHARNAME and Imoen are not biologically related, there should be a possibility for a romance path in this mod. (As for me, i'll play it many times to see all ther possible outcomes anyway :) )
Now, on to the hardest question. How would Imoen react to CHARNAME?
It seems to me, from the threads in this forum, that Quitch intend this mod so that it would be CHARNAME to take the initiative. So the initial idea, so to speak, would be Charname's.
Before going over my ideas, i think we must all remember that BG2 takes place in the FORGOTTEN REALMS! Not in our world. With this i mean, we must not think Imoen grew up in OUR cultural environment. Most of our customs and beliefs stem directly from religions. Even if some of us are not religious, still the cultural environment we grew up in derives strongly from some religious beliefs.
Now before somebody stones me to death, with this i want to say that while many persons in the realms would believe such a romance ODD, it does not seem to me such a NO-NO as it is in our world (have you ever seen in the real world a religion that goes around with the motto :"More sex for everyone" like Sune's???)
Now (AT LAST :) ) how would Imoen react? Of course if you are forceful, she WILL take it badly. She's a cheerful girl, but that doesn't mean she'll have sex with anyone who comes over her. But what if you're slow, caring, understanding and NOT pushy? Consider you saved her and you're her only support, consider that you fight to recover her soul from Bodhi and that (EVEN IN REAL LIFE) feelings CAN change.
Well, she would surely be shocked and unsure of how she feels, and might very well turn you down on the spot at first, but i do not think she would be DISGUSTED. Maybe she would take it as a sort of joke at first, or try to ignore you, but considering her cheerful and affectionate character, the fact you're not biologically related and the different cultural environment i explained before i do not think she would hate you for such a thing.
So i think in the long run she could return CHARNAME's love all things considered. This however should be DIFFICULT to accomplish!
The timer is ok as a first step (do NOT let her wait for long, she must KNOW you care for her enough to risk your life immediately to come to her rescue!!) but it should NOT be enough. I like the idea of stat requirement. You could say "it's not right, i want a STR 19 DEX 19 barbarian!" but i do not think Quitch should care for that. You can do a barbarian with, say, 16 in those 2 stats to have some more INT and WIS and CHA. I say this because if you want to romance spellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netImoen you must be able to understand and judge her reactions and thoughts, since it is probably not something she has considered at first. You may say this makes it easier for mages and clerics and paladins, but hey, nobody said life is fair :) (and those classes will have a harder time trying to go with haste to spellhold)
Also, i think the dialogues should be long and plentiful (Quitch may hate me for that) cause surely 20 phrases will NOT be enough to bring about such a change in Imoen's feelings (that is what i hated of the 3 bioware's romances.. too little dialogue..) Consider though that the bioware chars must go through friendship talks, while Imoen and CHARNAME's relationship starts MUCH more developed, so it's not that difficult.
So in conclusion i think Imoen may come to love CHARNAME given the conditions above. And well, yes, i would love to play such a path in this mod, though i'll play them all :) :)
Hmm it came out a long post but i think SOME of you will ike it :D

An interesting post.

#190 Keltosh

Keltosh
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 02:32 PM

Thanks :D i really look forward to this mod :P so thanks to you for this project .. and for Return to Windspear,, i've been following it for quite some time.. though i dunno why i posted so little @.@

Edited by Keltosh, 27 June 2004 - 02:33 PM.

#191 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 02 August 2004 - 04:30 AM

I remember reading a post on the Bioware forums, something about a Branwen romance, and someone said there was an Imoen Romance (Mirrabo's mod) and a Bioware employee replied and didn't seem to like the idea, saying something about it being a bit too 'Greek tragedy' to him.
Ofcourse, that employee may not speak for all Bioware but I think it gives us a good indication of what they think.
Romance with Imoen = No no.

#192 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 07:05 AM

Well, I agree with Keltosh & Drasius on this one. It should technically be possible if your CHA is high enough. I don't think that INT ans WIS matter so much with this, as CHA includes a certain way to talk with people - it's not just "looks" or anything, it's HOW you get along with people. Basically, you should be able to romance just about everyone with a charisma >19. ;)

There's even something about that in the AD&D rulebooks, don't remember where I read it ^_^

Anyway, I think if you have the right stats, you probably SHOULD be able to romance Imoen (though you'll have to go very slow and subtle). It shouldn't be an easy job though (ESPECIALLY if CHARNAME is male, this will only make things more complex) and I think it would be pretty hard to do convincing dialogues.

Edited by Lightspeed, 02 August 2004 - 07:05 AM.

崇高滑稽
·

#193 -Dr.Shaman-

-Dr.Shaman-

Posted 28 August 2004 - 12:02 PM

a. I think that it is a problem of how lawful player's character is. Imoen isn't a lawful character, so I think she won't have a problem with romancing non lawful PC. (I also think that any lawful NPC in party won't be happy if this happen... :angry: )

b. Imoen give away her bhaal's taint in the end of the ToB. Is she still a sister to PC? (At least this mod can end with romance...)

#194 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 05:11 PM

You know, that incest thing isn't an issue anyway.

It's just that they GREW UP as if they were sisters/brother n' sister.

Personally, I think the player should have a chance if manipulating Imoen enough.

崇高滑稽
·

#195 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 02 September 2004 - 06:29 AM

I suppose it would depend on whether she's brain-dead enough. I.e. Quitch has said that the longer you take to get to Spellhold, the less Imoen-like she'll be. And if she's without a soul too then that should influence it in one direction. I mean, without a soul you're just left feeling hatred and stuff like that. Perfect examples are Irenicus, Bodhi, Angelus (okay, that's got less relevence in the Realms :P).

I woulda thought that something like this would have to be addressed though. I mean, they were the only kids around for miles and never saw any other people their age. The hormones are gonna go wild during adulthood. IF Quitch has any plans to make her romancable (and I don't think he should really but that's just my opinion) then you would more than likely need some question asked by someone if you've ever shagged Imoen before and you get LIE responses and TRUTH responses or something.

LIE: No, never! You bloody perv!
TRUTH: No, never! You bloody perv!
LIE: Yeah, all the time.
TRUTH: Yeah, all the time.
LIE: Once or twice...
TRUTH: Once or twice...
LIE: I regret to say, ya I did, dude.
TRUTH: I regret to say, ya I did, dude.
None of your beeswax.

That kinda thing. Actually, lol, that'd be funny just to see a response from her.

#196 -Kabuki-

-Kabuki-

Posted 10 September 2004 - 01:32 AM

Aiii... just plowed through seven pages... some of it... mmm... painful.

Let me set some premises here as that will allow for some context on this post:

1. The question is as Quitch has said: What is Imoen's reaction?

2. Quitch's writing (from the samples I've seen) are about as good as it get and there will be options both within the context of friendship and the romance (which Quitch has stated will be available).

3. The problems as I see it are with the options.

4. My biases on the table right away: I usually play good alignment males. I've also thought a romance with Imoen would be both interesting and appropriate, howver I also recognize why Bioware wouldn't touch it. It is also probably the most demanding romance if there were to be one - characterization and consistency are hard in this case.

Imoen's responses:

I think her only positive/romantic involvement response would be to something along the lines of what several posters have noted. Most recently Keltosh, but way back in there somewhere even Userunfriendly (in his first post of a relatively long series, and not the subsequent ones) made the relevant observations.

When considering a posive response stat requirements were mentioned. I think in some way this needs to be reflected (and I expect it will a la PS:T) in dialogue options) and my suggestions would be in particular Cha and Wis - The abilities reflecting how to communicate and understand. Potentially your class could have some effect as well, a mage or sorceror might have a better understanding of all the processes going on - gaining power both as a Mage and a Bhaalspawn.

As all the behaviours suggested are in the category "good" I think that should be an alignment restriction. In RtW there is considerations w.r.t. your alignment changing based on actions, this could be coded for this mod as well?

On a side note: Time, as in how fast you arrive at Spellhold, and other relationships may be a consideration as well. A faster trip to spellhold leaves more time in Chapter six for dialogue as well...

In any case, I think this was sufficiently covered by Keltosh.

How about her less positive reactions? Under what circumstances does she leave, if she does? When does she get disgusted? When does she just laugh it off?

From least- to most serious response:

Laugh it off:

A clumsy, basically friendly approach. The hero rushing in to save the maiden and expecting the heart on a platter. Not giving her enough time. Persistent suggestive overtones and any hint of concurrent romances. If it is her, it's almost certainly a carry over from BG1 and any thought of hitting on Jaheira (who's husband and your good friend just died), Aerie or Viconia would mean that you really do see her as your sister and that you are joking.

Also: Necessary class/characteristics combinations don't match.

Disgusted:

Overt, blatant, demading approach. The PC expects Imoen to respond to him the way she did at the end of BG1 (assuming "very" friendly at the end of the game) although the situation clearly shows that the relationship has changed, or at least the people in the relationship have changed. Unlike the Jaheira romance dialogue (which I truly abhor) where the PC makes the comment "I haven't changed, only the way you see me has" or something to that effect; Imoen and you have both changed, and as you develop somewhat separately in Chp. 2/3/4 this is of such importance that if the PC fails to take this into consideration Imoen shoudl react with disgust, and if the PC continues possible leave.

Also: Alignment?/Behaviour doesn't match

Leaving:

Is this out of character for Imoen? My best answer is possibly. The idea of sticking with you through thick or thin is strongly incorporated into the character. However, after sspellholdstudios.nethe has her soul back, if you have treated her horribly once or twice, orconsistently badly she should be strong enough (smart enough as well) to walk away.

No matter what her relationship with you, if you are being a total bastard to her she would walk... and with her I could see Minsc and Jaheira going as well. The domination ideas that Quitch gave us a sample of from RtW might preclude her being able to leave, and I can see two completely divergent "Evil" trees - one of the completely dependent, and one where she walks away with your "Good" friends. There are some brilliant banter opportunities here with Jaheira/Minsc/Mazzy->Imoen as well as Viconia/Korgan/Edwin->Imoen - Elaboration on the give everything and your soul banter. As horrid as it makes me feel (which Quitch has pointed out time and time again is irrelevant) one line of "evil" would be the complete destruction of Imoen's spirit for your own gain. Maybe continuing on the line of research that Irenicus was using... Bhaalspawn test -"selfish" - comes immediately to mind... "she should be happy to give a sacrifice for the strongest of us..."

----

Hopefully this was somewhat up the desired alley, and maybe people could toss some comments back at me so I can refine my arguments. Feel free to toss turnips at me if I'm off in space somewhere.

Now off to do the dishes before the wife comes home... :help:

#197 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 04:30 AM

Ah, a question of opinion. Whether the PC should be considered a half-brother of Imoen or not. Hmm. In my opinion its not so strong sister-brother bond since Bhaal was a god and now he's dead. And different parents, Pc Elf- Imoen Human. But it is as I said: A question of opinion.

#198 Drax

Drax
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 07:06 AM

As my BP-BGT-NEJ install chugs along beside this window I went cruising around the forums and visited here. I've known about the other Romance mod and this mod but haven't been keeping tabs with either, till now. I've been holding off my playing of Baldur's Gate II till a good time came along. I haven't even ever gotten past chapter 2 of BGII (but have finished BG1) I figured I would play it in this BP-BGT-NEJ form as it seem like the ultimate BG campaign (throwing in Bone Hill as well).

I was dissapointed on the release of BGII to find that there where romances but no romance option for Imoen. Of course I didn't know the history of her and the main character back when I first got the game. I've since found out through spoilers online (that's ok, I'm not too surprised by that plot twist).

I remember how emotionaly charged I was when she was abducted at the beginning of SoA. I was surprised at how good a button that pushed, seeing the character that had been with me the longest from BG1 now no longer a party member. Then the dreams... it was amazing. I decided to hold off on playing SoA because of how busy I was at the time and I really wanted to savor the game. Well after putting it off numerous times and for various reasons (like waiting for the BP-BGT-NEJ mod to get to a good state, and the fact that I ten to float between all game genres and have been on a OpFlash rampage of late) I'm prepping to go back in. I still have the IWD series to hold me over because now this mod looks to have the potential to end up leagues ahead of the other romance mod.

Quilch you seem to have the best sense of how to approach this of all the other mod makers. An Imoen romance should be incredibly challenging to pull off and should require a subtle touch to begin. The key element to sparking the romance is her abduction. Up to that point it was (sorry for the cliche) all sort-a fun and games. The two character travel together for very obvious reasons (they grew up togehter, someone close to both of them is killed, they are both friends). Then you have the long trudge through the BG1 campaign where both characters go from rookie adventurers to seasoned champions... I could see it being easy to forget just how much time the two characters have together in BG1 due to it's more simplistic game mechanics (lack of scripted events and plot twists compared to BG2). The long campaign would make them very "used" to being around each other (of course I'm assuming Imoen is kept in the party through BG1) then all of a sudden they are torn away from each other. If there where any deep feelings beginning to take root this event would pull all that to the surface because now neither character may ever see the other again (at least as far as they know), and one of them is in serious trouble.

This is just my 2 cp's on the why she should be romanceable, and my reaction to hearing that your going to make it an option. I hope your mod ends up BP-BGT-NEJ compatible =) Otherwise I'll just have to play through twice.

#199 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 12:06 PM

I'm making it an option for the player to try, I mean that's only logical since so many people are interested in pursuing this path, but that doesn't mean Imoen will return your affections.

#200 Drasius

Drasius
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 04:47 AM

Damn you Quitch!

Now I have to play does-he-know-that-I-know-that-I-know trying to figure out if you will or not.

*Shakes fist at Quitch*