Photo

Imoen's sexuality

• Please log in to reply
528 replies to this topic

#481 Jinnai

Jinnai

Bye Sanzo! You'll play with me again next time?

• 377 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:04 PM

Heya,

Submitted: Five random pieces of fiction written by me.

Algorithim predicted Author is...

Male four times.

Female once.

Actual author gender: Female.

Err... and you say this is supposed to be 80% accurate? It was wrong 80% of the time. I know only five pieces isn't terribly much, but according to that I'm male!! Well maybe it's because I identify as lesbian. :P

Which points out how while you can go from a bunch of indivdiual case examples to a generality, you can't go from a generality to an individual case example very well ;-).

Does 80% accuracy mean that it will work for everyone? No. But it does mean that over hundreds of cases with hundreds of people, gender can be identified to a fairly high degree of accuracy.

Hmm...I really liked the idea, so I tried and put through five pieces of my fiction - one a short dialogue from the quest, two textual descriptions, a passage from Valygar's romance (Valygar's text) and a short passage for Sarevok. Only one (the quest dialogue) was returned as a female author (am a female, lol, but I guess I was cheating because in two of the passages I *tried* to write for a male speaker. :) I think it is a useful tool for a modder when you are in doubt if any man alive would ever say *this* :lol:

I sent in 4 of my Imoen dialogues and 2 returned male and 2 returned female...

Oh well...And i agree Laufrey. Imoen is pink.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#482 Imrahil

Imrahil
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 04:04 PM

Oh well...And i agree Laufrey. Imoen is pink.

[kidding]
My take on Imoen is that she is not Pink. I'm not 100% sure, but the reasons I think so are...

- She never outright says she's Pink. Most people who don't claim to be Pink are not, in fact, Pink.
- Pink is a singer & Imoen never sings.
- Sure, she shares some characteristics with Pink, but she also shares many characteristics with Madonna, & we know she's not Madonna, because Irenicus says so.
- You should know that if you play a Gnome Wizard Slayer, wielding the Stiletto of Demarchess, & approach Ribald in Chapter 6, Imoen says "Well, I'm really a blonde... this... this isn't natural..."
- Canon FR materials never even mention Pink, because Hasbro has a Family Friendly policy which forbids them from mentioning anything related to "getting the party started" - oddly enough, they are all for Family Portraits...
- In the books, she is a rock star, I'll admit, but then again they also say that Jaheira is a "ho"

- Imrahil
[/kidding]

#483 Zandilar

Zandilar
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 04:36 PM

[kidding]
My take on Imoen is that she is not Pink.  I'm not 100% sure, but the reasons I think so are...

- She never outright says she's Pink.  Most people who don't claim to be Pink are not, in fact, Pink.
- Pink is a singer & Imoen never sings.
- Sure, she shares some characteristics with Pink, but she also shares many characteristics with Madonna, & we know she's not Madonna, because Irenicus says so.
- You should know that if you play a Gnome Wizard Slayer, wielding the Stiletto of Demarchess, & approach Ribald in Chapter 6, Imoen says "Well, I'm really a blonde... this... this isn't natural..."
- Canon FR materials never even mention Pink, because Hasbro has a Family Friendly policy which forbids them from mentioning anything related to "getting the party started" - oddly enough, they are all for Family Portraits...
- In the books, she is a rock star, I'll admit, but then again they also say that Jaheira is a "ho"
[/kidding]

[tongueincheek]
Here are some more points...

- Actually, in the books they say she's a little bit of nothing, though Drew Karpyshyn gives her back a few of her thief abilties. :P
- Also, she's described as being just under five feet tall with chestnut hair.
- In Lord Mirrabbo's mod, Imoen both sings and plays a guitar.

Weather this lends evidence to either side of the the argument pertaining to Imoen's pinkness (and gods I hope she's not pink, I hate that colour!), I have no clue. :)
[/tongueincheek]

#484 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 09:42 PM

And also, there is the serious and confounding question on how pink you need to be in order to be classified as Pink. Pink, after all, is halfway between Red and White, and if you stray to far in either direction, there is no more Proper Pinkness.

#485 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 12:52 AM

That's far enough off-topic.

#486 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 02:18 AM

I'm amazed that anyone can seriously consider taking the godawful, disgusting BG books for a canon, regardless of their obscene quality. They simply can't be canon for one simple, minor point. In the official FR canon, there is no such thing as Bhaalspawn children and the Bhaalspawn wars have never happened. They contradict many, many things in the official canon. So in short, the BG books not only are NOT canon, they go AGAINST canon.

And frankly, the only canon source relating anything BG-connected is only the game itself. Especially when you consider that Mr. Abduh Athans had nothing aside from a skeleton of the plot and names of the NPC characters as he set out to write the first book. Will you insist that his characterisation should be taken as more "correct" or even marginally serious compared to how the characters are portrayed in the game? That's rubbish.

If any mod writer was to take the Imoen, Jaheira, Sarevok, Khalid, Xan from the books and portray them in their mod based on that template, I'd be tempted to insert a rusty fork in their liver and twist it, sharply. Just as I would love to do to Messrs. Athans and Karpyshin. :lol:

Just to stay on topic, btw... it would not take too much to convince me that Imoen could be "bi". Then again, I'm one of those who is against the PC-Imoen romance, so my opinion probably is not significant, anyway.

#487 Jinnai

Jinnai

• 377 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 03:11 AM

I'm amazed that anyone can seriously consider taking the godawful, disgusting BG books for a canon, regardless of their obscene quality. They simply can't be canon for one simple, minor point. In the official FR canon, there is no such thing as Bhaalspawn children and the Bhaalspawn wars have never happened. They contradict many, many things in the official canon. So in short, the BG books not only are NOT canon, they go AGAINST canon.

And frankly, the only canon source relating anything BG-connected is only the game itself. Especially when you consider that Mr. Abduh Athans had nothing aside from a skeleton of the plot and names of the NPC characters as he set out to write the first book. Will you insist that his characterisation should be taken as more "correct" or even marginally serious compared to how the characters are portrayed in the game? That's rubbish.

If any mod writer was to take the Imoen, Jaheira, Sarevok, Khalid, Xan from the books and portray them in their mod based on that template, I'd be tempted to insert a rusty fork in their liver and twist it, sharply. Just as I would love to do to Messrs. Athans and Karpyshin. :lol:

Just to stay on topic, btw... it would not take too much to convince me that Imoen could be "bi". Then again, I'm one of those who is against the PC-Imoen romance, so my opinion probably is not significant, anyway.

Absolutely...the books should be considered no more canon than some of the outlandish fanfics staring Imoen.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#488 --Cybersquirt-

--Cybersquirt-

Posted 20 May 2004 - 06:05 AM

<pats the wall, leans against it and smiles>

Side-note: PS:Torment had brothels.

#489 -Notmrt-

-Notmrt-

Posted 20 May 2004 - 06:06 AM

Um im lost Why is imoens sexuality discused !?! isnt she um the PC's sister

#490 --Cybersquirt-

--Cybersquirt-

Posted 20 May 2004 - 06:08 AM

<pushes the nice wall on Notmrt> :D

#491 Jinnai

Jinnai

• 377 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 06:15 AM

I don't want to rehash everything, but basically because 1> FR such things don't matter, 2> the sister thing is debatable, but this isn't the thread to do, 3> even if she is your sister,. there are those who don't care for whatever reason
Posted ImagePosted Image

#492 -Notmrt-

-Notmrt-

Posted 20 May 2004 - 06:20 AM

Um shes your sister °_° nough said this isnt Alabama its forgotten realms
but i see your point many people in forgotten realms are inbreed take the halflings
they all are kinda like prince philip good point

#493 kirkjobsluder

kirkjobsluder
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 07:01 AM

I don't want to rehash everything, but basically because 1> FR such things don't matter,

Given how widespread incest taboos are cross culturally on Earth, it seems reasonable to propose that they exist among some cultures (perhaps even a majority of cultures) in the FR as well.

#494 -Notmrt-

-Notmrt-

Posted 20 May 2004 - 07:11 AM

Heehee yep and since Forgotten realms is jsut a middle earth clone which is in turn just a clone of beowulf , im imagininge Gary gygax would have thought about his dnd worlds and the people who helped create them that incest is pretty much out of the picture, i mean fair enough you could have it but there better be some insanely high reputation loss's and other npcs kinda wanting to not hang around with you

#495 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 07:21 AM

a) Not every romantic relation revolves around the player.

B) Sexuality doesn't have to influence romances alone.

Edited by Quitch, 20 May 2004 - 07:21 AM.

#496 -Dalis'ilhea-

-Dalis'ilhea-

Posted 20 May 2004 - 08:00 AM

Well as viconia says to imoen their common parent is a god, that hardly counts as a genetic tie, biologically they could be with each other and it wouldn't be incest, that view would be in peoples minds.
and I agree with the view that she may be bi

Anyway there's my contribution

P.s
and I think she looks better pink

#497 -Notmrt-

-Notmrt-

Posted 20 May 2004 - 08:38 AM

fair enough not all relationships ,end up that way which is why im not debating the mods credibility(unles other imoen ones i wont mention)
and i do respect you should allow for total freedoms in rpgs
And it dosnt matter if your father is a god its the fact they were brought up together , they are sister and brother in all sence of the word , now if people want to play the mod and have a relationship with here as a sibbling all fair play to them and if they want to take it deeper i question i few things about there state of mind(probably there only doing it for shock value , well most of them)

Still What the hey its only a game after all hehe and this isnt real life so i dont know why im complaining eheh
°_°:fish:

#498 Kish

Kish
  • 1265 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 09:50 AM

Sisters have sexual orientations. It could matter to the mod, even (and hopefully) without a PC romance.
Posted Image

http://www.moveon.org/fox/
"You are what you do. Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

#499 -Notmrt-

-Notmrt-

Posted 20 May 2004 - 03:17 PM

This would be the first pixel i met who has a sexual orintation
hehe but i bet imoen would have to be straight due to the FR setting
and probably in a medievilesk setting such as it is gay people would be tied to steaks and burnt °_° as realy people were a bit backwards
and FR is like a mirror of mytholigy to the extremem mix style so i imagine even is she was gay not much chance shed say much about it for fear of death

#500 Jinnai

Jinnai

• 377 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 10:15 PM

Well the issue of being persecuted for being gay or bi waxes and wanes and also has to do with culture...why if we went back a few more centuries before the middle ages in greece it would be common practice, especially for higher up people, to have a same sex parter as well as opposite sex partner.
Posted ImagePosted Image