Sorcerer Changes

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#81 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 11:02 PM

This being a thread about the sorcerer, I want to say that I don't like too much that CHA bonus from Inner Focus, because it's just an aestethycal improvement. It does not matter at all for the class. :P

#82 MythicalChicken

MythicalChicken
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 01:07 PM

This being a thread about the sorcerer, I want to say that I don't like too much that CHA bonus from Inner Focus, because it's just an aestethycal improvement. It does not matter at all for the class.  :P

Funny you mention this ... I've been thinking about the druidic sorcerer kit: a mod which would've made 4 awesome kits, but all that available to one char is crazy, plus I hate exp penalities.

The coolest thing about that kit, IMO, was how they reduced the intial number of spells a dr. sorc could cast, but balanced it by making charmisa work in the same manner as wisdom does for priests.

It makes sense to me that a sorc's abilities would rely on charisma, given the way they learn spells. It don't require much intelligence to wake up one day and go "hey, I can cast timestop!"

I'm new to the modding thing, but if I can figure out the Dr. Sorc's code I'd like to implement this minor-but-major change to sorcs.

Making it compabitle with refinements, of course. I just downloaded it and love the changes y'all made (well, heh heh, except for the sorcerer).

Thanks so much and VERY much looking forward to Shockwave!

Best,
MC

#83 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 08:44 PM

I'm new to the modding thing, but if I can figure out the Dr. Sorc's code I'd like to implement this minor-but-major change to sorcs.

God luck with it! ;)

I just downloaded it and love the changes y'all made

Thanks, good to know.

well, heh heh, except for the sorcerer).

Mind you, could you be a bit more specific? :rolleyes:
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#84 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 07:39 AM

God luck with it! ;)

The dr sorc code isn't doesn't work perfectly, thus Littiz wouldn't accept it -_- . (see http://www.shsforums...?showtopic=8328) The problem is that it updates only at car generation. Otherwise, you need to write a list of 25*24*3 blocks and append them to baldur.bcs, or otherwise risk that some changes won't be noticed (say, when you equip +CHR'ing items). If you manage to do this, you will notice *some* big slowing problems, like if you installed the best pc script on the net B)

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#85 -Child of Destiny-

-Child of Destiny-

Posted 26 September 2004 - 12:04 PM

T.G.Maestro, have you tried out the druidic sorcerer kit? It's actually really good and has some ideas that can help develop the sorcerer as an elementalist (and make those element hla more fitting and fun).

#86 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 11:27 PM

You know, I don't want to disappoint you.. but the truth is that I really don't like that kit. While it has nice ideas, the implementation made it everything but balanced. In other words, I never tried a kit that overpowered before. <_<
Posted Image

#87 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 05:59 AM

God luck with it! ;)

The dr sorc code isn't doesn't work perfectly, thus Littiz wouldn't accept it -_- . (see http://www.shsforums...?showtopic=8328) The problem is that it updates only at car generation. Otherwise, you need to write a list of 25*24*3 blocks and append them to baldur.bcs, or otherwise risk that some changes won't be noticed (say, when you equip +CHR'ing items). If you manage to do this, you will notice *some* big slowing problems, like if you installed the best pc script on the net B)

umm.... why? it is enough to create a paragraph for cha 3 with 40 or 50 or whatever spellfailure.... to cha 13 and with cha 13 you get additional spell slots.
please explain.
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#88 -Child of Destiny-

-Child of Destiny-

Posted 27 September 2004 - 06:19 PM

While i do like the fact that the druidic sorcerer kit packs enough power to take on the gods, it's not only the power that's attractive.

The one thing that i really like about that kit is the fact that there are multiple paths you may choose to take when picking hla's. Because of the exp penalty on the kit, and the fact that it's impossible to solo with it at low levels, it is almost impossible to get the necessay exp to get to full power without a little bit of cheese. This forces the player to either choose to take the path of the druid, wizard, or the custom path.

This is the idea that i think can be implemented onto the refinements sorcerer. The sorcerer hla's can be split into 3 or 4 paths, one for each element, and the player has to choose. This might make the "elemental" part of the refinements sorcerer more enjoyable.

Of course, since i don't actually do modding (though i would like to learn how), i don't know how time-consuming or hard this would be, or even if it will be worth it. Just my thoughts.

#89 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 01:11 AM

God luck with it! ;)

umm.... why? it is enough to create a paragraph for cha 3 with 40 or 50 or whatever spellfailure.... to cha 13 and with cha 13 you get additional spell slots.
please explain.

DR Sorc doesn't update your bonuses when your CHR changes. To do so, you'd need 25*24*3*6 blocks to append to the scripts.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#90 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 04:12 AM

i don't know how time-consuming or hard this would be,

Not that hard, but definitely time consuming - and time is what we really lack these times. :(

This is the idea that i think can be implemented onto the refinements sorcerer.

It has already implemented into Refinements monks - wait until we publish the new table, it is truly a great one, better than ever. ;)
Posted Image

#91 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 11:17 AM

It has already implemented into Refinements monks - wait until we publish the new table, it is truly a great one, better than ever. ;)

True.
Definitely I have to make space for a monk in my next party.

ATM we have this little problem with the_bigg (who completed perfectly this strange, fun, troubled group which is the Refinement team). We feel a little "mutilated", right now :(

We'll have to make donations to the University of Pisa, it seems (damned universities, they waste people I always say, they do :D)

Edited by Littiz, 28 September 2004 - 11:18 AM.

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#92 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:11 PM

this strange, fun, troubled group

:P :lol:

We'll have to make donations to the University of Pisa, it seems (damned universities, they waste people I always say, they do )

True, absolutely.. :D
Posted Image

#93 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 11:55 AM

I was playing with the idea of adding Enlonger Spell as a HLA for sorcerers (and maybe even mages), and I'd like to ask the community about this. As you may already know, the "Spell Duration Modifier" opcode works rather strange: it only enlongers the duration of spell working without a .pro file, e.g. spells that are cast on the caster itself (like Stoneskin), spells that are directly cast upon another creature (Protection from Energy) and finally spells that have an effect that is global, but do not requires any projectile (like Time Stop).

Now, I have 3 different variations for this ability:
- it can work as a normal innate HLA: once it has been activated, all spells cast before it's duration expires last longer by a set percent (for example 40-50%);
- it can work to become a one-time passive HLA, that permanently increases the duration of spells cast by a fixed percent (for example 20-25%);
- or it can be made a passive HLA selectable multiple times (say 5), and each pick increases the duration of the affected spells by 10-15%.

Again, the main problem is that this wouldn't work on a bunch of spells that use a .pro file (like Ice Storm, Slow, or Symbol:Stun). We'd need to build a "cover story" into the ability's description to explain this - I'm waiting for useable ideas and suggestions on this! ;)
Posted Image

#94 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 12:23 PM

Well, for starters it should probably be lengthen or enlengthen, since enlonger isn't a word. ;)

Interesting idea, but I'd suggest allowing it for Mages too if you make it.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#95 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 12:50 PM

I think those are called "Extension" spells in the game. Like "Extension I", "Extension II", etc.

#96 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 03:58 PM

In 3E there's a feat called Extend Spell which does something similar, but I don't know about AD&D.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#97 Jinnai

Jinnai

Bye Sanzo! You'll play with me again next time?

• 377 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 04:29 PM

The extend feat works only for 1 spell because iotherwise it could be quite overpowered. Basically people only use it for trademark spells.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#98 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 05:12 AM

Well, for starters it should probably be lengthen or enlengthen, since enlonger isn't a word.

Oh well... :unsure: . Thanks for the correction Andy!

The extend feat works only for 1 spell because iotherwise it could be quite overpowered.

True, this is why I added those 3 options for the HLA version: all of them seems overpowered when compared to that 3E feat, but works very balanced between HLAs.

On the other hand, please lets focus on that "explanation" I mentioned in my last post. ^_^
Posted Image

#99 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 06:32 AM

ummm... what exactly is the difference between the spells it works and and it does not work on? only projectiles?

as for the different implementable ideas i would choose the first one with 30-40% or something.
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#100 -K2Grey-

-K2Grey-

Posted 27 November 2004 - 10:04 AM

Hmm, a cover story?

You could always claim that a spell is normally overlaid on someone's aura, and gradually fades until it loses contact with the aura and the spell effect vanishes. When you call upon magical energy in order to make a spell, the spell always seeks to get back to wherever it came from, and this is why spells don't last forever. With this feat, a sorcerer could "tie" the spell onto someone's aura, so that it takes longer for the spell to let go and vanish. You can do this with Stoneskin / Protection from Energy etc. b/c the affected creature is not resisting the effect. As for area-effect duration spells, there's nothing to tie the spell to. For example with Ice Storm, the spell really has an instantaneous duration, and its effect is to make a gate b/w the Prime and the Plane of Ice, and the duration of Ice Storm is really the duration of the gate, and not the spell. With area-effect boost spells like Haste, its an area spell, and you can't make multiple aura/spell ties simultaneously.

With Improved Haste, uhm, if it can be extended there's no problem. If IH uses an invisible projectile, claim that... actually nevermind. All of these spells which can be extended are protections, right? Just say that a person's spirit or aura has natural protections, and that you can tie spells into someone's aura as long as the spell stacks with their natural state. PCs have natural resistance to fire (in the form of HP), so you can tie a Protection from Fire spell into their aura. But no PC is naturally Hasted.

In the case of Time Stop, uh, the universe naturally resists the effects of time and entropy, and by extending your Time Stop, you're protecting the universe from the ravages of Time :)