A Dragon's size

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 08:17 AM

I always wondered about the real size of dragons - how big are they? Is the current BG2/IWD implementation realistic compared to the party for example?
I'm asking this because of a strange thing in Heart of Winter. At the end part of the game where you advance to find the lair of the white dragon matriarch, you cross a great cavern of ice. As you progress, you can notice that the rocks and great walls in the cavern are the bones and the skeleton of a GREAT dragon. To say the least, this skeleton is 10 times bigger than any living dragons in any of the BG/IWD games. Later you find out that those gigantic bones are the remains of the matriarch's former love, a male dragon, killed by the dragon queen itself.

Now please, could someone explain me the size of that immense dragon??! :blink: :huh: :mellow:
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#2 GreyViper

GreyViper
  • 511 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 08:50 AM

IE is limited, so the ones that appear are somewhat small. ;) Btw remember the Wyren skeleton from BG1, same thing.
I have a whole book dealing with dragons if you have more questions about them PM me.

Edited by GreyViper, 17 May 2004 - 08:55 AM.

Democracy is three Dragons and a Cow voting on what's for dinner!

"A handsome young Cyborg named Ace,
Wooed women at every base,
But once ladies glanced at
His special enhancement
They vanished with nary a trace."

Barracks Graffiti
Sparta Command

#3 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 09:01 AM

To be honest, if those skeletons show the real size of Dragons, then their pathetic HP values become even more annoying: I mean please, don't tell me that a gigantic creature like that has only 150-200 Hit Points... <_< <_< <_<
I say a general HP value of 500 would be more fitting.
Posted Image

#4 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:13 AM

To be honest, if those skeletons show the real size of Dragons, then their pathetic HP values become even more annoying: I mean please, don't tell me that a gigantic creature like that has only 150-200 Hit Points... <_< <_< <_<
I say a general HP value of 500 would be more fitting.

Except that FR dragons are, well, wimps. ;)

Drizzt and Cadderly were both more than a match for a full grown dragon caught in its lair in the Salvatore books. Realms Dragons are only really dangerous in the novels when they have room to maneuver, and een then they always seem to end up slaughtered by the heroes.

Funny that. :D

#5 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:43 AM

Realms Dragons are only really dangerous in the novels when they have room to maneuver, and een then they always seem to end up slaughtered by the heroes

I'm more and more tempted to change this... <_<
Posted Image

#6 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 02:33 AM

I always wondered about the real size of dragons - how big are they? Is the current BG2/IWD implementation realistic compared to the party for example?
I'm asking this because of a strange thing in Heart of Winter. At the end part of the game where you advance to find the lair of the white dragon matriarch, you cross a great cavern of ice. As you progress, you can notice that the rocks and great walls in the cavern are the bones and the skeleton of a GREAT dragon. To say the least, this skeleton is 10 times bigger than any living dragons in any of the BG/IWD games. Later you find out that those gigantic bones are the remains of the matriarch's former love, a male dragon, killed by the dragon queen itself.

Now please, could someone explain me the size of that immense dragon??!   

I would vote for a very simple explanations : inconsistencies in IWD and BG games (and those are not the only ones).

#7 discharger12

discharger12

SHS's [un]official spammer!

• 759 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 08:56 AM

If you think of it, your monitor wouldn't even be able to handle a monster that big. It takes the whole cavern, and you have to look at it through your map.

Plus, I think a monster that big would seriously

1) Just step on your party members

2) Slow your game down ALOT (the huge size)

3) not be able to move around. How it got in that cave is a complete mystery to me :blink:

Edited by discharger12, 22 May 2004 - 08:59 AM.

Defunct, but r teh rly, lol: Tork NPC, WOWCAAVB?, Barbados NPC, Anti-Ding0 Chinchilla NPC, Attack of the Bears!

No. No, they really are defunct.

#8 -Notmrt-

-Notmrt-

Posted 22 May 2004 - 09:11 AM

size and scale are very importarnt for atmosphere

#9 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:49 AM

Well, the largest dragons in the Forgotten Realms are Red Great Wyrms, which have a body length of 174-183 ft. and a tail length of 162-171 ft. Firkraag is in fact a Red Great Wyrm (judging by his resistances, AC, etc), but it wouldn't have exactly been feasible to make him this large ;).

#10 khay

khay

Swords to Rust, Hearts to Dust

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 01:25 PM

I was disappointed by the dragons in NWN myself, I found them too small for my liking. :)

#11 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:50 PM

3) not be able to move around. How it got in that cave is a complete mystery to me 

Many dragons are able to shapeshift in human form. Think at Firkraag, Adalon, Draconis, Abazigal. This way they could get in a cave.

#12 -Notmrt-

-Notmrt-

Posted 23 May 2004 - 12:47 AM

True enough but still youd think a wise grand old creature such as a dragon would find a nicer abode ;)
to khaymann i totaly agree heehee i wanted Towering 3d beasts of squasiness

#13 khay

khay

Swords to Rust, Hearts to Dust

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 12:54 AM

Maybe we`ll see something like that in the upcoming Dragon Age, since it`s a separate world developed by Bioware, they won`t have to tie themselves to FR-style dragons.

#14 -Notmrt-

-Notmrt-

Posted 23 May 2004 - 01:06 AM

YAY non cack dragons heeh Giant mofos with flamethrower tounges :D

#15 Cryomancer

Cryomancer
  • 214 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 05:00 AM

Well, I don't think all FR dragons are wimps, just the white ones. Tis a shame, because IMO white dragons are the coolest. Black and Red dragons can be extremely tough. Also, have you ever fought any Gem dragons? Sapphire Dragon's supersonic breath weapon HURTS.
Teachings of a Wise Man:
" Life's not all about your navel.'- Mr. Crowell
"Time flies when you can't stand it."- Mr. Crowell

#16 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 07:36 AM

All these problems with realism is because of the ruleset, D&D or AD&D, which are designed so the players can have fun, not realism.

If you want to play with a reaslistic ruleset try GURPS (Generic Universal Roleplaying System).

If you seek realism, GURPS will give it to you in ways you never thought possible.
"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#17 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:36 AM

Besides, white wyrms are supposed to be the weakest and smallest of dragons, so the game size scale probably isn't as wrong as Firkraag and others.

#18 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:53 AM

Um..surely at least the scale problem won't be changed. Because
a) chars much smaller than in bg2 would be near invisible, and a pain to control(i know we're talking about 3d here, but bear with me, coz the problem still remains with zooming in/out)
B) Screen size hasnt really changed since bg2...

#19 Rk84

Rk84
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:32 AM

Although it maeks little sense to have a white dragon as big as The Matriarch's mate, considering they are only supposed to grow somehwere around 44' ground to nose
realism considered, we will only ever have true-to-life sized dragons in RPGs when it is in first person.

Edited by Rk84, 23 April 2005 - 08:33 AM.

#20 Child

Child

The new day is a great big fish.

• 233 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 10:00 AM

Although it maeks little sense to have a white dragon as big as The Matriarch's mate, considering they are only supposed to grow somehwere around 44' ground to nose
realism considered, we will only ever have true-to-life sized dragons in RPGs when it is in first person.

View Post

And even then they wont fit on the screen....the post 2 above was mine...
-C

Dovienya se sagain tovya

Sene sovya caba'donde ain dovienya