#41 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 03:29 PM

And this:

Obi-Wan: What took you so long?
Anakin: Well, you know, Master, I couldn't find a speeder that I really liked...
Obi-Wan: There he is. (the man they're chasing)
Anakin: ...with an open cockpit and the right speed capabilities.
Obi-Wan: If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman.
Anakin: I thought I already did.
Obi-Wan: Only in your mind, my very young apprentice.

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#42 The Amazing Maurice

The Amazing Maurice

Did-a-chick? Dad-a-cham? Ded-a-check?

• 388 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 03:47 PM

McGregor is a fabulous actor - As are a lot of people in the prequels (Liam Neesson, Christopher Lee, Natalie Portman.) Even Christensen is getting rave reviews for "Shattered Glass".

Problem is with Lucas's awful script/direction et all, it stifles a lot of the performances - especially McGregor in Ep 1, who by his own admission was poor (too much attempted Guinessness :lol: )

*wonders what the prequels would be like if Ridley Scott directed them*

Ah well.

Jake Loyd has had a few bit parts in crap films and voices in a few Ep1 video games since his "big break".

MuwhhaHAHaaa.

#43 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 04:02 PM

McGregor is a fabulous actor - As are a lot of people in the prequels (Liam Neesson, Christopher Lee, Natalie Portman.) Even Christensen is getting rave reviews for "Shattered Glass".

Well, I'm not exactly impartial, since Ewan is my favourite actor... Liam, Christopher and Natalie does their parts wonderful, of course. As well as Samuel L. Jackson, Frank Oz and Anthony Daniels.

Problem is with Lucas's awful script/direction et all, it stifles a lot of the performances - especially McGregor in Ep 1, who by his own admission was poor (too much attempted Guinessness :lol: )

Yes. I have the same opinion.

*wonders what the prequels would be like if Ridley Scott directed them*

We could only dream.

Jake Loyd has had a few bit parts in crap films and voices in a few Ep1 video games since his "big break".

MuwhhaHAHaaa.

Why am I not surprised? :D

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#44 -Notmrt-

-Notmrt-

Posted 08 July 2004 - 10:59 PM

I like Anikin more than Vader. He shows such anger (or would do, if it wasn't for the bad acting). Also, he's younger, more rebellic. I especially like the "Obi-Wan is holding me back!"-part. The scolding he recives from Obi-Wan on Coruscant is also very funny in contrast.

I have tot totaly disagree on that one ;) i realy did have the need to hit anakin several times he annoyed me so much but then i am no fan of the new movies lol

#45 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 04:05 AM

I like Anikin more than Vader. He shows such anger (or would do, if it wasn't for the bad acting). Also, he's younger, more rebellic. I especially like the "Obi-Wan is holding me back!"-part. The scolding he recives from Obi-Wan on Coruscant is also very funny in contrast.

I have tot totaly disagree on that one ;) i realy did have the need to hit anakin several times he annoyed me so much but then i am no fan of the new movies lol

Well, Hayden isn't the best actor in the world. I believe that your urge to slap him came from bad acting, or bad scripting rather than his character.

On the other hand, how good was Mark Hamill, then? Do you know what he does today? He's voicing video-games! An actor who had the lead role in one of the most famous thrilogies (do you spell it that way?) ever.

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#46 -Notmrt-

-Notmrt-

Posted 09 July 2004 - 04:07 AM

well no the charichter was just a bit annoying eheh the acting didnt help either lol

#47 The Amazing Maurice

The Amazing Maurice

Did-a-chick? Dad-a-cham? Ded-a-check?

• 388 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 04:26 AM

Hamill was crap in a new hope, passable in Empire and pretty good in ROTJ.

In fairness to Hamill tho he is a excellent voice actor. Did you know that he is the Joker in the Batman animated series?

Also does a lot of stage work.

#48 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 04:31 AM

In fairness to Hamill tho he is a excellent voice actor. Did you know that he is the Joker in the Batman animated series?

True.

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#49 -Tancred-

-Tancred-

Posted 09 July 2004 - 11:15 AM

Actualy I have read that Vader is an exquisite duelist.

Now we get into somewht nebulous territory... it doesn't matter what you've read, or what people claim; the fact is that the films show Vader as a significantly less energetic and mobile swordsman than he was in his youth. All excuses about technology improvements, etc are irrelevant. That's what you see, in the movies, therefore it must be the case! :)

As for Hamill, he does a pretty good job in the recurring role of Chris Blair in the Wing Commander series. Oddly, the WC games seem to have a better cast and a better cast ensemble than the actual movie.

#50 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 04:38 PM

As for Hamill, he does a pretty good job in the recurring role of Chris Blair in the Wing Commander series. Oddly, the WC games seem to have a better cast and a better cast ensemble than the actual movie.

I actually don't understand how a cast including Harrison Ford and Alec Guiness could be bad.

The new cast is brilliant, too.

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#51 -Tancred-

-Tancred-

Posted 09 July 2004 - 04:47 PM

I acutally meant the WC games had a better cast than the WC movie. An off-topic reference there.

#52 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 04:57 PM

I acutally meant the WC games had a better cast than the WC movie. An off-topic reference there.

Ah, I see.

Well, the last 20 or more post have seemed to be off-topic.

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#53 Mr Ennigma

Mr Ennigma
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 02:51 PM

But by redeeming Anakin, he defeated Vader and the Emporer, because Ankin Skywalker slew the emporer.

Actually, according to...Dark Empire (I think that's it) the emperor was not slain on the death star. This may not be cannon though so take it as you will.

Actualy I have read that Vader is an exquisite duelist.

Shadows of the Empire clearly shows Vader is an excellent duelist. I think he went easy on Luke because he didn't want to kill him he wanted to turn him. That's the excuse I use anyway.
Noble ends are not always reached by noble means...

If knowledge is power, then to be unknown is to be unconquerable.

Fade Dlardrageth Mod; some thievin' and some lovin' all rolled into one...
Discover her here.

#54 Mongoose87

Mongoose87
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 06:49 AM

Shadows of the Empire is where I read that as well.

#55 crazyhybrid9999

crazyhybrid9999

"Some call me the Space Cowboy..."

• 112 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 02:31 AM

also doesnt it show in shadows of the empire that the light side in him was what kept him in his suit because he couldn't keep the right amount of hatred he needed to breath without it. Also, did you guys know the vader could adjust the length of sabre blade. if one could so easily use such a lightsabre to its full potential so easily then they must be a esquisite duelist. Also Palpitine told vader not to kill Anakain for he wanted him to turn to the dark side if i remember correctly. Also on the original topic, I always thought it would be cool to have a movie series where the sith are the underdogs, being hunted by the Jedi, having to young upstarts truley discover their power in the face of the destruction wrought around them. Yeah actually i thought of it as movie series, acutally a couple, one of the dark side during whatever time period this would be logical to put this in, and one of the light side during this time. and then release a dark/light movie which would end the series of both of them with the final confrontation of the two sets of main chracters in each series.

#56 Mongoose87

Mongoose87
  • 288 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 04:25 PM

If I recall correctly, it was not light that prevented him from breathing without the suit, it was that his hatred wasn't quite strong enough.
Most lightsabers can have the length adjusted, there's a litttle nob on the side. But some have two extreme setting that cna be switched between ala Coran Horn.

#57 Sha'la

Sha'la
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 05:50 AM

you're missing some important people in your history Tancred. For instance Exar Kun's apprentice (later redeemed by Vima Sunrider) Ulic Qel Droma. aka the great jedi war criminal.

'Tomcat' 'Rain' and Darth bane the 3 survivors of the great war of light and darkness.

:) for those who want moe info on the TOTJ and jedi vs Sith series contact chriswandell on AIM :)

#58 -Tancred-

-Tancred-

Posted 06 August 2004 - 09:52 AM

Ah, I just don't think Ulic's really that important, as far as history goes. If Kun hadn't shown up in his backyard, Ulic would probably never have really done much else in his life than just be his mistress' servant, and with or without Ulic, Kun would have tried to be the big bad Sith one way or the other.

#59 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 09 September 2004 - 01:27 PM

. . . (the dead Sith Lord, Ajunta Pall, is one of these original Dark Jedi, I assume) . . .

Then come the non-canonical events of KOTOR...

. . . Sith race had no real affinity to the Dark Side - that came later, as their race became permeated with the Dark Side emanating from the evil Jedi. What marks the Sith cult as the natural opponents of the Jedi is that their teachings are totally based upon the Dark Side - whereas Revan and Malak, for example, are fallen Jedi who use corrupted Jedi techniques, the Sith have their own *completely* different system of teachings and methods based around focussing and channelling one's rage and anger.

It's the difference between Vader (fallen Jedi who uses the Force in rudimentary but powerful ways to crush people's throats) and Palpatine (uses force lightning, which involves channelling pure Dark Side power) . . .

Very nicely done, Tancred. Just a few points:

It's more likely that Ajunta Pall joined the Sith after the Great Hyperspace War, as he notes that "we were not the first to fall to the dark side" and refers to the collapse of the Sith Empire due to infighting, something which did not happen until after the Great Hyperspace War, between The Fall of the Sith Empire and Knights of the Old Republic (the trade paperback, not the video game).

Video games are actually considered canon in the Star Wars universe, so KotOR is indeed canon, and a very important point in the history of the Sith, the Jedi, the Mandalorians, the Republic, and the galaxy at large.

The original Sith species actually was Force-sensitive, but their powers were primitive and undeveloped, and nothing compared to that of their Sith masters.

Revan and Malak are true Dark Lords of the Sith, despite their Jedi heritage. They are just as much Sith Lords as Marka Ragnos, Ulic Qel-Droma, Darth Sidious, or Lumiya. It should be noted that such Sith Lords as Exar Kun, Darth Bane, Darth Tyranus, and Darth Vader were once Jedi, so switching sides doesn't ban one from Sithdom.

Excellent post, otherwise. :)

#60 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 03:50 AM

As it is said: "Evil never dies."