Photo

The Original Thread - Work progress

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
168 replies to this topic

#1 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 01:15 PM

Sometimes you find that by trying to do everything wrong it ends up quite right ;)
i mean trying to get something so bad that its good is quite a skill and this often turns a char into one of the best . ofcourse it can also go very wrong hehe
same can be said for trying to avoid all these foibles hehe trying to avoid every mistake can lead to disastor "Im so unique" syndrome ;) you know the type
origional for origionals sake , as most mistakes people make are in being generic or somewhat pizza part #3(cheese)

Maybe the ideal NPC would be:

Hubelpot Thistledown, human, Level 0 Druid, vegetable merchant. 37 years old, Hubelport is married and has a 16 year old son (Hamlish) currently working as an apprentice baker in the bridge district. Hubelpot is found in the vegetable seller's booth in the promenade. All of Hublepot's stats are between 8 and 12, making him just slightly more competent than most vegetable merchants. He will have at least one banter with every Bioware NPC, most of them on the subjects of favorite foods and gardening, and six banters with Jan, none of them involving Turnips. Hubelpot will not have a romance track, but will discuss cooking with CHARNAME, and the right dialog choices will eventually lead Hubelpot to prepare a really nice meal for the party. He will have two mini-quests, one involving a missing shipment of cabbages, the other an attempt by an unscrupulous guard recruiter to convince Hamlish to give up baking and enlist for a year.

Oh, his hair and eyes are both brown, and he's going bald on top.

Any takers? ;)

Edited by BobTokyo, 05 July 2004 - 01:17 PM.

#2 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 02:27 PM

Don't forget to give him 10 in all stats :).

#3 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 05 July 2004 - 03:00 PM

Don't forget to give him 10 in all stats :).

From Bob's character sketch: All of Hublepot's stats are between 8 and 12, making him just slightly more competent than most vegetable merchants. :wub:

Since he is a druid we can go nutters and give him wis of 13 to attract the power-players :)

#4 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 03:30 AM

About Hubelpot, who's going to make the mod?

Hublepot started off as a joke, but I'd be happy to contribute some dialogs and any other writing if someone else wants to do the WEIDU. If not, I'll see how much time I have available.

#5 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 03:49 AM

Hublepot started off as a joke, but I'd be happy to contribute some dialogs and any other writing if someone else wants to do the WEIDU. If not, I'll see how much time I have available.

I can help, if it's the WeiDu you want...

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#6 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 06 July 2004 - 07:06 AM

If it's just dialogue, I do not mind coding him up :) He is cute. But it would be nice to have all the dialogue first. I do not mind throwing a couple of banters in the pot, if Bob will edit it to fit the common speech pattern. :lol:

And can he be a gnome? Pwetty please?

What are the approximate stats: Str: 12 (slightly stronger than average to haul crates of cabbages), Dex: 8 (average vegetable merchant) Const: 10 (average) Wis: 14 (well, druid after all) Int: 8 (below average) Chr: 12 (again, druid)

#7 -Notmrt-

-Notmrt-

Posted 06 July 2004 - 07:11 AM

*shakes his fist in an i better be on the credits for inspiring it
lol

#8 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:26 AM

If it's just dialogue, I do not mind coding him up :) He is cute. But it would be nice to have all the dialogue first. I do not mind throwing a couple of banters in the pot, if Bob will edit it to fit the common speech pattern. :lol:

What are the approximate stats: Str: 12 (slightly stronger than average to haul crates of cabbages), Dex: 8 (average vegetable merchant) Const: 10 (average) Wis: 14 (well, druid after all) Int: 8 (below average) Chr: 12 (again, druid)

It's a deal Domi. :)

I have no problems with him being a gnome, or with the stats you suggest, but one point on the 8 INT; he's not slow, just uneducated. He can read, write and figure well enough to buy, sell and cook vegetables, and that's where his education ends. On the other hand, he is a familly man and a modestly successful merchant. He's enough of an adult to recognize the neuroses of the Bioware crowd for what they are, even if he doesn't know the word "neurosis".

Well it looks like I have a project.

EDIT: With a nod to NotMrT for the inspiration ;)

Edited by BobTokyo, 06 July 2004 - 08:27 AM.

#9 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:32 AM

Hey, what are those ridiculous stats ? :huh:

#10 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:45 AM

Figured that Hubelpot deserves his own thread :)

How 'bout a join in dialogue, Bob? With Missus having her word...

Hear you on intellegence! How 'bout:

Str: 12 (slightly stronger than average to haul crates of cabbages), Dex: 8 (average vegetable merchant) Const: 10 (average) Wis: 14 (well, druid after all) Int: 11 (below average) Chr: 13 (again, druid)

I'm sure a portrait will find itself :) Remeber, a balding, brown-eyed and brown-haired gnome...

#11 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:54 AM

Figured that Hubelpot deserves his own thread :)

How 'bout a join in dialogue, Bob? With Missus having her word...

Hear you on intellegence! How 'bout:

Str: 12 (slightly stronger than average to haul crates of cabbages), Dex: 8 (average vegetable merchant) Const: 10 (average) Wis: 14 (well, druid after all) Int: 11 (below average) Chr: 13 (again, druid)

I'm sure a portrait will find itself :) Remeber, a balding, brown-eyed and brown-haired gnome...

I'll try to get that Joining dialog up ASAP Domi. :)

INT 10 seems about right; very average. Dex 8 is fine (he isn't used to moving faster than a walk) and the rest look OK.

Edited by BobTokyo, 06 July 2004 - 08:57 AM.

#12 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:57 AM

Hey, what are those ridiculous stats ? :huh:

For a vegetable merchant, he's not bad. ;)

#13 Meira

Meira

I'm the snow on your lips

• 411 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 12:26 PM

:blink: A gnome? *Another* vegetable obsessed gnome? :lol: :turnip: :turnip: :turnip: I kinda liked him as human. ;) Humans are after all the most widespread of all races in Faerun aren't they?
Ihmeellinen meri

Kummalliset kalat liukuvat syvyydessä,
tuntemattomat kukat loistavat rannalla;
olen nähnyt punaista ja keltaista ja kaikki toiset värit -
mutta ihana meri on vaarallista nähdä,
se herättää tulevien seikkailujen janon:
mitä on tapahtunut sadussa, on tapahtuva minullekin.

- Edith Södergran

Amber - The BG2 NPC Mod Project Now released!
Amber's discussion forum at Gibberlings 3

#14 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 06 July 2004 - 12:40 PM

Yes, I agree, but majority of new NPCs are elves, half-elves or humans... and I really like gnomes... and nobody makes gnomish mods... a curse of sorts.

#15 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 01:17 PM

:blink: A gnome? *Another* vegetable obsessed gnome? :lol: :turnip: :turnip: :turnip: I kinda liked him as human. ;) Humans are after all the most widespread of all races in Faerun aren't they?

You have a point . . .

But, on the other hand, he isn't vegetable obsessed, or shouldn't be. He's just angst-free, unwilling to join in on rounds of soul searching, and overly prone to the food = love fallacy.

Besides, if making him short, chubby and big-nosed will get Domi to help out, I'm all for it. :D

#16 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 01:19 PM

Hublepot: So Cernd, what be ya trade afore ya split from ya missus?
Cernd: A vegetable merchant.
Hubelpot: I thoughts so... Figured I heard ya name in the Guild. So how come I dunno ya?
Cernd: We only moved to Athkatla a few months before I left... on my quest to serve the nature. It was three years back from now.
H: Aye, that?s explains it. ?Bout this time, ?twas a particularly fine crop of beets down south, so I went in hopes to get a bargain afore others hear of that.
C: That?s right, Master Hubelpot. Beets were exceptional that year, indeed.

H: Can I still count ya as a fellow vegetable merchant, Cernd? I miss talkin' 'bout bussiness, ya know.
C: Sure, Master Hubelpot.
H: Say, there?s somethin? in our trade that makes one wanna be a druid.
C: Perhaps the closeness to the nature?s generous bounty puts one in the philosophical frame of mind that compels him to protect the Great Mother.
H: Ya said it, laddie. I was a wee gnomling, and me father he had a vegetable patch o? his own... So I?d be goin? out every morn, afore dawn to collect cow paddies... and they all be covered with morning dew... and I?d think of all?ya good thing? that?ll grow even better. I reckon anyone would wanna be a druid if he?d got that frame.

Hubelpot: What where ya thinkin? of Cernd while closeted down that basement?
Cernd: I tried not to let the gloomy thoughts of the slaughtered animals to overcome me. So I was reminiscing on canning... mainly asparagus, because the sole ray of glorious sun that penetrated the small window in my cell late in the afternoon was so feeble, that it reminded me of early spring.
H: Aye, good. So what spices d?ya use for asparagus?
C: Thyme, cherry leaf, cloves... black peppers of corse.
H: Ah, my missus she?s great believer in adding current?s leaf in it.
C: For pickled cucumbers - perhaps, for tomatoes even, but for asparagus I would not.
H: Mayhap y?a right, lad. Too perky, that.

You are the only person able to write Cernd in such a way as to make me not want to ask him to go away. Well done, and thank-you. :)

#17 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 01:33 PM

One slight problem: if you have him as a gnome druid, you're using one of the "overused ideas", i.e. character who's background/upbringing is unique (since there are no other gnome druids in 2nd edition).

Edited by NiGHTMARE, 06 July 2004 - 01:36 PM.

#18 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 06 July 2004 - 01:57 PM

Well, from two ills one has to chose the least one, I say. Gnome is not an unusual race, and he is not a very special kit either :) Can always go for a half-elf, I suppose :)

#19 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 02:13 PM

It's a deal Domi. :)

Looks like I've been overruled... :( :there-really-should-be-a-weeping-smily: (I was doing the "well, I can help if you reeeally want me too" (not trying to sound to eager). It's not like I have anything better to do (except my overpowered NPC), so I figured I could help... ;) )

Seriously, good luck to you (this'll be great), and let me know if you want any help (honestly, I can create not-overpowered NPC's as well, Domi ;) ).

Edited by SConrad, 06 July 2004 - 02:19 PM.

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#20 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 06 July 2004 - 02:16 PM

The more - the merrier. If you want to help with coding - I can only say YAY! Saves time and efforts :)