• This topic is locked This topic is locked
168 replies to this topic

#41 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:34 PM

I am tossing around a few dialogue ideas in my head for this one. I would love to help out if I am welcome.

What about getting in touch with the cat who wrote the turnip golem mod?

It being an un-natural golem, it offends nature, as he is a druid.

Also, it is one of the key ingreedients for a unique ricipee for borcht (sp?) he has found...

Honestly I do not think I have EVER looked forward to a mod as much as this one!

*EDIT*

I think I like the fist pic (Farmer with picthfork) the best, but that is just me.

Edited by MajorTomSawyer, 06 July 2004 - 11:36 PM.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#42 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 04:40 AM

I'm going to have to take a "Paid Work" day off today, but the project is still moving.

Major Tom Sawyer said:

I am tossing around a few dialogue ideas in my head for this one. I would love to help out if I am welcome.

More than welcome Tom. We still need six Jan dialogs, ore one or two Dialogs with almost any other Bioware NPC. However, it is part of the mission statement of the mod that Hubelpot himself is (1) not wacky and (2) will not be discussing Turnips with Jan. This is not because of any fear of turnips on Hubelpot's part; he simply finds the whole idea of vegetable fetishism odd. From Hubelpot's point of view, a turnip is too be grown, bought, sold, cooked, or eaten; anything else is a little disturbing.

So yes, dialogs please. turnips no. ;)

NotMrT said:

seriously if you need a voice for it id be happy to help

Voicing? Yes, thanks! :D I'm hoping to get all of the dialogs done by Monday the 12th; please let me know what you feel like doing.

Edited by BobTokyo, 07 July 2004 - 04:41 AM.

#43 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 04:52 AM

I was just going to ask if we should search for a voice actor. Great, notmrt!

We also need all of his SAY BATTLE_CRY1, SAY CRITICAL_HIT etc.

Bob, the banter-examples in this thread, should we use them? In that case, I could start WeiDU-ing them.

Also, if you have any finished banters/interjections/dialogues/items/quests/something else, you can send them to me, and I'll start including them.

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#44 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 04:58 AM

Bob, the banter-examples in this thread, should we use them? In that case, I could start WeiDU-ing them.

Also, if you have any finished banters/interjections/dialogues/items/quests/something else, you can send them to me, and I'll start including them.

We'll be using all of them (Domi's stuff rocks). Just give me a few hours to rewrite a little; I'll get the final forms to you ASAP.

Now off to do a little actual paid work. ;)

#45 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 05:13 AM

We'll be using all of them (Domi's stuff rocks). Just give me a few hours to rewrite a little; I'll get the final forms to you ASAP.

Now off to do a little actual paid work. ;)

Alright. I'll start right away.

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#46 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 06:07 AM

Is this three different banters? It seems that way, but I want to be sure...

Yes, those are three banters.

The Sean Connery is the best pick I've seen so far, but other suggestions are welcomed. We're looking for a slightly balding to bald farmer / poor merchant under 50, ideally with brown hair and eyes, someone you would feel confident buying your vegetables from.

Not easy to find. ;)

#47 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 06:22 AM

also from Lady Nightshade's portrait gallery:

page 1: SM015 or SM016. SM015 has the baldness, SM016 has the hair and eye colour (and something about sean bean always makes me think 'ordinary' :P ); both are overdetermined by LoTR, however...

page2: SM034. has the hair colour, the receding hairline *and* the apron. is a line drawing, though.

page3: SM058. hubelpot after he caught a shoplifter. overdetermined by Dune.

page 9: SM168. although i think it might be frankie howard :wacko:

otherwise, someone could just go down to their local market and take a photo of a grocer...

or, from the ironworks site: the thief/bard, who looks nothing like either a thief *or* a bard.

or someone with talent for these things could edit barry to the right bioware size.

Edited by seanas, 07 July 2004 - 07:15 AM.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#48 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 07:06 AM

Firstly: About weap. profs. - I've assigned him 2 (as a level 1 druid should have) in CLUB (to swing after shoplifters) and SLING (to shoot crows on his corn-fields with). Objections, comments?

Then, I got an idea when making the .cre-file. Why a Totemic druid? That doesn't seem very much like Hubelpot. So this is my idea:

Druid Kit: Vegetable Farmer
This druid is specialized in agriculture and selling vegetables. While he is not so much intrested in the wilderness as other druids, his prime concern is his vegetables.

Advantages:
Can create different vegetables which all have their special powers, or sold to merchants for a good price:
Carrots - can be used to summon rabbits, like the horn or eaten for healing
Tomatoes - can be used to be thrown on people for 1D2 damage + stun + blindness for two rounds
Peas - can be thrown on the floor for entangle-effect, people will slip on it unless save vs. ??, or (listen to this:) being able to cast the spell Stinking Cloud two times, if eaten.
Peppers - if eaten, you'll be able to breathe fire (breath weapon) twice for 1D8 damage for two rounds, unless save vs. breath weapons
Garlic - protection from vampires, if eaten.
Potatoes - heals twice as good as other vegetables.
(more suggestions of vegetables welcome)
Can be of any neutral alignment (since balance isn't as important to him as to other druids)
Can reduce prices in shopping from merchants, due to his surpreme haggeling-skills.
(more suggestions welcome)

Disadvantages:
May not shapeshift
(more suggestions welcome)

Edited by SConrad, 07 July 2004 - 07:07 AM.

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#49 Mongoose87

Mongoose87
  • 288 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 07:40 AM

I think you want beans instead of peas. And add a penalty to charisma for duration of the garlic effect.

#50 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 07:51 AM

Oh, yeah. I ment beans. Typo.

And the charisma penalty is wonderful.

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#51 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:25 AM

Ehhh loving it all, except for the alignment bit. Really think that should be left Neutral only.

You could always use jalpenios (sp?) to give him "dragon's breath". Use the Ag's scortcher for damage and animation.

As for the carrots... as a High Level Ability, how about letting him summon "vorpal bunnies"? (Like in the Holy Grail)

The neutrality is for the possibility to make Hubelpot Lawful or Chaotic.

As for the jalapeņios, I've already done that; "Pepper". Was thinking to use Ag's for the animation.

Vorpal bunnies is a great idea.

@Domi and Tom, I'll include your banters, if Bob doesn't object. Domi, if I understand it correct; it's supposed to trigger if the player have the D'Arnise Keep as stronghold. (I know it says that quite clearly, but I want to be 100% sure (perfectionist)).

Also, Domi, I've spotted a problem with one of the Cernd-banters. Hubelpot says: "I was a wee gnomling".

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#52 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:31 AM

You will need to wait until Bob edits all the banters; he will need to modify all of them for speech patterns. He also will decide on the kit, but I thought that the idea was to do nothing weird or wacky, so Totemic Druid is by far the best fit in this concept :)

#53 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:49 AM

You will need to wait until Bob edits all the banters; he will need to modify all of them for speech patterns. He also will decide on the kit, but I thought that the idea was to do nothing weird or wacky, so Totemic Druid is by far the best fit in this concept :)

He'll modify all banters? Okay, that'll be just as well.

You didn't like the kit? Too bad for me... :( ;)

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#54 chaz58

chaz58

The guy that never does anything

• 142 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 02:40 PM

I don't think it's a case of 'disliking' your kit; it's a decent idea. It just doesn't fit with the keep-it-simple theme underlying this whole mod.

#55 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 03:07 PM

Oh. Yes. I must have misunderstood domi... Still, Bob might like it... ;)

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#56 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 05:07 PM

Oh. Yes. I must have misunderstood domi... Still, Bob might like it... ;)

It's a cool comedy kit, and we can use some of the special abilities as spells (they'll be easy enough to do), but I think we should stick with the Totemic Druid. It's easier, it'll keep the mod compatible with other mods that add kits to the game, and it will keep Hubelpot useful until he levels up (remember that the animals summoned by totemic druids do not become more powerful as the Druid LUs; that's why the kit is overpowered in BG TuTu).

Also, it's important that Hubelpot not be, in and of himself, wacky. The comedy should come out of a relatively normal person doing his best while surounded by the high melodrama of BG.

Major Tom Sawyer, I love the Jaheira dialog.

Domi, thank you for the Nalia banter. It's wonderful.

Sorry to have been away today, but I had an unfortunate attack of work to deal with.

#57 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 05:21 PM

I understand perfectly. And you're right, of course. I just didn't think that the Totemic Druid is fitting into Hubelpot's character. But that's not my decision.

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#58 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:03 PM

A few thoughts on quests. Not being a real modder (yet, learning and working on one, expect it within a year or two), i am not sure how hard this will be.

One, in the DeArniese hold, what about putting some vegetables in the crates. How many sling bullets, etc... do we really need? I was also considering the "dog stew" mini-quest. I'll toss around a few banter ideas in my head on things he could say about that. If anyone has any ideas, feel free to comment on them.

Two, the druid grove quest. Can you imagine our hero, Hublepot, going face to face with Faldorn?

I have some ideas for dialogue with him and Faldorn, but as I have IWD installed and not BG2 I cannot remember Fladorn's dialogue so can't add anything right now.... unless one of you cats wants to post all of Faldorn's lines for me.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#59 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 08 July 2004 - 07:56 AM

He then flees, saying that he'll be killed if he says any more. Hubelpot is ruined, and must stay with CHARNAME to recoup his losses.
Roenall's home now includes a new item, a note detailing caravans that "vanished", including the caravan containing Hubelpot's vegatables.

I'd suggest a hint from say Hendak or one of the "girls" in CC that the contact was seen with Roenall during an orgie in CC at some point to direct player to the note.

The rest sounds very good to me.

#60 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 08:05 AM

He then flees, saying that he'll be killed if he says any more. Hubelpot is ruined, and must stay with CHARNAME to recoup his losses.
Roenall's home now includes a new item, a note detailing caravans that "vanished", including the caravan containing Hubelpot's vegatables.

I'd suggest a hint from say Hendak or one of the "girls" in CC that the contact was seen with Roenall during an orgie in CC at some point to direct player to the note.

The rest sounds very good to me.

The hint is a good idea, but I want Roenall's home to remain "locked" until and unless the Nalia kidnap quest begins. One of his mod's goals has to be avoiding messig up any other quests.

Hubelpot would not get any dialog with the Roenall's; He wouldn't want to risk bringing their wrath down on his familly unless he had absolute proof of their involvement.