• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

#21 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 12:36 PM

Here is an attempt at another dialogue between Hublepot and Anomen.

-------

A- Fair lady, how are you this day?
H- Don't you think that line is a little over used?
A- Forgive me sir, I was not aware I was using a "line", as I was only speaking from my heart.
H- Point taken and I appologise, good sir.
A- Accepted. Forgive me if I seem defensive, it would seem that it is popular these days to criticize me and my mannerisms these days.
H- Terribly sorry to hear that my friend. Tell you what, tonight I will make your favorite for dinner. Last time I was in the forest, I managed to trap a couple of wild Amnish hens.
A- Ha, ha! Lead on good fellow! My lady, perhaps you will do me the pleasure of dining with me tonight?

I guess that could work with a female <CHARNAME> or if Anomen is flirting with any of the female NPCs. I agree with Bob in the other thread about too much Anomen bashing. Thought a little joke about it snuck into the dialogue might be fun.

--------

A couple of one-liners in Fire-(I can never remember how to spell his name)'s dungeon.

(Insert the trolls line about getting on the grill, I forget how it is worded)

H - Hey! I'm a cook not a dish!

Upon picking up the book:

H- An interesting use of spice in that book, <CHARNAME>. The main part of the dish I would never use naturally. You know.... if you study this book a bit it hints at what creatures are in this dungeon.

---

I had mentioned earlier that I wanted to try and come up with some dialogue for Hublepot in the druid grove quest. Here is what I have come up with:

Granted, only minor changes in existing dialogues, but as Hublepot is a druid, I thought he should have some feedback in this quest.

This is for your meeting with Lord Coprith

---

LC - Druids, belonging to a group that has long been peaceful. The people apparently captured one. Had I not locked him up they would have quartered him in the street.
H - Druids attaking and being attacked. Animals being used to kill humans. Please, <CHARNAME>, I wish to learn more of this and help find a solution to this.

---

This is for when you meet Cernd, and answer his question about him joining you:

C- I might succeed alone, but I would much rather have the backing of a group, one that will also benefit from my service. Are you up for the task?

**Option 1 - Yes, I will help as best I can. Join with me and we shall do what must be done.
H- Ahh, t'will be good to have another druid traveling with us. Come Cernd and let us make haste to the grove.

** Option 2 - I will participate in this little endeavor, but only so long as there is benefit for me.
H- Perhaps I was wrong about you <CHARNAME>.

** Option 3 - I will help as best I can, but I do not wish any more traveling companions.
H - I wish you would have chosen otherwise, <CHARNAME>. The lad needs a chance to clear his name, and it would be nice to travel with another druid. The choice is yours, however.

** Option 4 - I cannot help at this time. I am truly sorry but I must decline.
H - I do hope that we can return later to sort this out. This could threaten the balance and ruin the name of druids thoughout Faerun.

** Option 5 - This holds no interest for me and neither does your company. Go on your way.
H - No interest to you? I had thought you were a better person then this.

** Option 6 - I cannot help at this time. I am truly sorry but I must decline.
H - I do hope we can return here quickly when you finish your current task, <CHARNAME>. This wieghs heavily on my mind.

** Option 7 - This holds no interest for me and neither does your company. Go on your way.
H - Perhaps I should be going as well then. If you do not care for the ways of balance, or the affairs of druids then I have no reason to travel with you. (Hublepot leaves party)

** Option 8 - Only if there is benefit for me. Join and lead the way, but I won't risk my neck.
H - Never known you to sound cowardly before, <CHARNAME>. Come Cernd, I will help you as best I can.

---

I also managed to come up with a snippet in the Faldorn dialogue. Just a couple of minor editions to her rants.

----

<CHARNAME> Hublepot would know what has changed here, and why you rule as you do.
Fal- The old vegetable salesman? Hublepot is no concern. I am a Druid of Shadow and the hierarchy is in shambles. If he thinks he can change this then he is wrong!

----

Fal- I am stronger than ever with the aid of this grove. No harm can come to me here. Such bonding is frowned upon as it drains from the earth, but the mother feeds me that I might fight for her!
<CHARNAME> The ancient rituals still rule in this grove. As a druid, it is Hublepot's right to challenge you and end your tyranny here.
Fal- What makes you think I would wish to refuse? I took this grove by force and I shall keep it in the same manner. Did you think I would retreat? Am I to fear this man who is more merchant then druid? Oh no, Hublepot, this is your end. Prepare!

----

Not sure how easy the part with Cernd or the others will be to add, so feel free to use/edit/ignore as you see fit (as usual).

Edited by MajorTomSawyer, 12 July 2004 - 12:47 PM.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#22 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 01:15 PM

Thanks MTS. After some re-writes, we'll use most of this. :)

I'm off to make an addition to the writing Hubelpot thread.

#23 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 01:30 PM

Do you really think we should post this many banters? I mean, it won't be that funny to see them in the game if you've already seen 'em here...

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#24 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 01:46 PM

Do you really think we should post this many banters? I mean, it won't be that funny to see them in the game if you've already seen 'em here...

Most of them will be changed quite a bit in the edit, and Domi has sent me a few that won't be posted. The ones with CHARNAME will only be reviewed by you and Domi as well.

The fun factor will be there, and we need the feedback. :)

#25 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 01:51 PM

Most of them will be changed quite a bit in the edit, and Domi has sent me a few that won't be posted. The ones with CHARNAME will only be reviewed by you and Domi as well.

The fun factor will be there, and we need the feedback. :)

Okay, then. Good.

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#26 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 06:07 PM

Allright, here is a try on some more banters. Feel free to tell me to shut up at any time, I honestly will not take it personally. :D

In truth, most of these are re-writes of some of the information in the appropriate 2nd ed "Complete Book of ______" line.

Mazzy - A moment sire?
Hub- Aye lassie, what can I do for you?
M - Well... it is about dinner actually, seeing as you are the party's cook. I was wondering if you had any of those mushrroms left from the other day.
Hub - Aye, that I do. Tell you what, I'll make you a deal. I'll use what we have left to make some of my famous ale and mushroom soup, if you will be so good as to tell me about halfling and their diet.
M - I can agree to that sire, you have a deal!

---

I figured a couple of day (or whatever you see fit) could pass before triggering this dialogue.

M - I belive I have a promise to keep with you sire.
H - Please lassie, call me Hublepot.
M - As you would have it then, Hublepot. Where to begin? Are you aware that most halflings eat six meals a day?
H - Six you say? No I had no idea. What do you call each of those meals?
M - Well, we do not eat six full meals. Rather we eat three large meals a day, interspersed with three sizable snacks: breakfast, brunch, lunch, teatime, supper, and bedtime snack.
H - For one who eats so much, lassie, you seem rather fit!
M - Truly we enjoy eating and drinking in plentiful quantities--indeed, despite the difference in size, the typical halfling can eat as much if not more than a human twice his or her size; this is because we have a very high metabolism.
H - Perhaps I should consider moving my shop to the shire. Thank you Mazzy, you have given me much to think on. Shall we continue this later?
M - I would be honored. Your interest in my people is very flattering. It is nice to have a discussion about food rather then "how cute we little-people are" for a change.

---

M - Where were we, friend Hublepot?
H - You had just told me about your six meal days.
M - Very good, would you like to hear about food we are somewhat reknown for making?
H - Lassie, I never tire of talking about food.
M - Very well, Halfling bakers are famed for their abilities with dough, making all types of sweet or salty, light or heavy breads. Cheesemaking is another skill in which many of my people are proficient, and here, too, variety is a prime hallmark--each individual cheesemaker will typically specialize in one kind of cheese, no two of which will be alike, allowing our many communities to offer a variety of sharp and mild, hard and soft cheeses.
H - Ahh yes, halfling cheese is quite famous. Perhaps you would consider giving me pointers sometime? If not sharing recipees with me?
M - That depends on one thing, Hublepot.
H -What is that?
M - It depends on weither or not you would be willing to share your soup recipee with me.
H - ~smiles~ I am sure we can work something out lassie.

---

H - My lady Mazzy, might I trouble you fora moment?
M - Anytime my friend. What can I do for you.
H - I have heard many stories about Halflings and their skill at gardening. Perhaps you could be so good as to tell me about it?
M - Of course. We are born gardeners, far exceeding any other race in our knack for growing foodstuffs. Any halfling with access to a plot of ground will usually maintain a garden, wherein he or she will carefully nurture fruits and vegetables of all types appropriate to the climate. Even in a small garden, a halfling will generally plant at many different times during the spring, assuring a continuing harvest from early summer through late autumn.
H - Interesting. So do you grow any exotic spices that I have nevercome across?
M - Well, we do not favor a lot of spice in our foods, however, so very few of us raise peppers or other strongly-flavored crops unless a nearby ready market for them exists. Onions are a notable exception--many of us love them and have even been known to munch them raw, much as a human might eat an apple.
H - Thank you again lassie. You are a wealth of information.
M - Hublepot?
H - Aye?
M - ~looks down at the ground a moment before speaking~ I fear I have worked up an apptite. Do you have an onion I could snack on?
H - Anything for a friend. Let me check my pack.

---

H - Allright Mazzy, one last question. You have taught me many things about halfling culture. What about drinks?
M - Halfling brewers are well-known and our products popular with humans as well as other halflings. As with cheesemaking, a brewer will specialize in a single beverage. These can vary from heavy stout (halflings often jokingly hand a first-time human drinker a knife and fork with the glass) to light and creamy ales.
H - I do love a good stout ale. Remind me to purchase a barell next time I havea chance. Do you make wines?
M - Yes indeed! Fruit wines are also popular, with halfling vintners specializing in using whatever fruit is near to hand. Do you want to know what the best part is?
H - What is that, lass?
M - Even though we favor many sorts of wines and ales, we rarely get drunk, due to our high metabolism. Rather, the alcholol tends to make us pleasantly drowsy, and a groups of my people that share a bottle of potent stuff will typically become quite relaxed, quiet and contented as the evening wears on.
H - So you can drink as much as you want and not get drunk?
M - It is possible, but difficult. Makes iteasier on the vows sometimes. ~winks playfully at Hublepot~
H - Yes indeed, I need to open a buisness in the shire.

---

Here are some possible banters between Korgan and Hublepot. Written to be ongoing, as with Mazzy.

H - Can I trouble you a moment, Korgan?
K - Aye! What do you need? Problems with the tax collector and you need him to vanish? I could ar--
H- No, no, nothing as bad as that. I wanted to ask you about what dwarves typically eat? I was starting to plan tonight's diner in my head.
K - I enjoy a wide variety of food, with a preference for meat.
H - So just a big slab of meat and you will be happy?
K - Meat may be a staple of a good dwarven diet, but we consume large quantities of grains as well. When possible, we grow wheat, rye and barley close to the stronghold. We harvest them and keep them in underground granaries. Many dwarves who live close to humans or halflings buy large quantities of grain to supplement their own production.
H - So meat and barley?
H - We also use vegetables for flavor and variety. We do not eat spicy or heavily seasoned food, and consequently dwarven cooking tastes bland to humans and elves, since they over spice everything! But our food is wholesome, consisting of thick stews served on broad slices of bread. While we are not voracious eaters like halflings, few humans or elves can eat as much as a dwarf in a single meal.
H - So meat, barley, and vegetables, not over-seasoned?
K - Don't skip on the ale!
H - I wouldn't dream about it.

---

H - Korgan, might I ask you about how dwarves herd animals?
K- Aye, Hill, mountain, and sundered dwarves keep cattle, goats, sheep, pigs, and fowl. These animals are grazed above ground on upland meadows or plateaus. Most of us dwarves allow our stock to roam.
H - Interesting, indeed. What about the ones that live high up in the mountains?
K - They keep animals more suited to subterranean existence: giant lizards and beetles. some even keep lizards and beetles, and these are selectively bred for cooking.
H - Not sure I have ever cooked or eaten lizards or beetles. Guess I could try it sometime if you are willing to show me how to prepare them.
K - Aye, later then. Now is the time for more killing!

---

(This one would obviously have to transpire either after or during the underdark part.)

H - Korgan? Our recent travels has me wondering about deep dwarves. What do they eat?
K - Normally they substitute various types of fungi for grains. Like the giant lizards and beetles, many of these fungi have been carefully bred to produce a wide variety of flavors to excite the palate. Most of us are very careful about the kinds of fungi we eat.
H - I wonder how that would taste...

---

As per usual, edit/use/don't use as you see fit.

A very good point. This string should be labeled "CONTAINS POSSIBLE SPOILERS" ifit is possible to do that. I could always PM dialogues to you as well if that is easier? Just let me know when the cut-off is. I have more ideas floating around.

#27 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 03:07 AM

MTS, I like them. :)

At this point we're getting close to deadline; what we most need is a Minsc banter and a few Jan banters, but other ideas are still welcome. I plan to close this thread on the 14th; we can't add anything past then and still have a shot at a release next week.

#28 -tammra-

-tammra-

Posted 13 July 2004 - 11:37 PM

just an idea

Boo-Squeak, squeak!
Minsc- Yes Boo, I understand that evil is everywhere. Perhaps even posing as a vegetable.
Hublepot- You've nothin ta fear laddie, I'll lite the fires of righteous fury neath any fowl vegetable, should he cross my path.
Boo-Squeak, squeak!
Minsc- Yes, Boo says that you are a wise man. And I must agree. Boo is very smart.
Hublepot- Then I will thank Boo for both his discerning eye and his ravenous appetite, which does me proud.
Minsc- Boo is hale and hearty and both of us are ready to face evil with cold steele.
Hublepot- Not without another helping in your belly. Let us feed the righteous fire within you.
Boo-Squeak squeak!

#29 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 11:51 PM

Told you I would have my lady write you a Minsc dialogue via PM Bob. I like it, but then I am a little biased. She does not playas much as me, since she does not share the addiction (how you canot be addicted to this game I do not know), sotweak as needed. She has to work early tomorrow, but saidshe might be able to squeeze out one or two more later (maybe).

#30 Eldae

Eldae
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 07:54 AM

H - Perhaps I should consider moving my shop to the shire. Thank you Mazzy, you have given me much to think on. Shall we continue this later?
M - I would be honored. Your interest in my people is very flattering. It is nice to have a discussion about food rather then "how cute we little-people are" for a change.

M - It is possible, but difficult. Makes iteasier on the vows sometimes. ~winks playfully at Hublepot~

All those comments about moving to the Shire... this is Faerun, not Middle-Earth, unless someone has some mod that changes everything to Middle-Earth Setting. You might want to use Luiren instead.

#31 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 08:00 AM

All those comments about moving to the Shire... this is Faerun, not Middle-Earth, unless someone has some mod that changes everything to Middle-Earth Setting. You might want to use Luiren instead.

Well spotted!

It won't be in the mod. All dialogues are re-written by Bob before we include them.

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#32 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 08:39 AM

Well spotted!

It won't be in the mod. All dialogues are re-written by Bob before we include them.

I don't think there's a single banter in this thread, including the ones I wrote, that didn't get changed around in the re-write.

#33 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 12:31 PM

That's why I always add the bit about feeling free to re-write my dialogues. The sad thing is that in over twenty years of D&D gaming, I have never had a DM that runs Forgotten Realms. Sad really, would love to play there.