Early Banters: Possible Spoilers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

#1 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 05 July 2004 - 01:34 PM

EDIT FROM BOB TOKYO:

These banters are very, very far from the form they took in the final mod. Some of them look similar, some of them have been changed completely, and many of the final banters are not in this thread at all. This thread is here to give you an idea of what to expect in the mod, and an idea of the mod's developmental process. If you want to go into it unspoiled, don't read this thread.

We hope you'll like the mod.

I actually would not mind the guy like that... though I prefer Cernd as my druid. How about a one-day NPC, Bob?

Hubelpot Thistledown: So Sir Anomen, what be ye favorite desert?
Anomen Delryn: Do not you dare to offend my tastes! I am a paladin of the Order of the Most -
HT: Radiant Heart. Aye... Ye seem like a man who likes spices... Cinammon buns?
AD: Is that an allusion on my interest in fair <CHARNAME>? Are you trying to seduce my Lady behind my back?
HT: Nay, what for? Had an old lady of mine own back home... and a son... 'bout your age, and bakes great cinnamon buns.
AD: Commoner, are you indeeed only interested in what sweets I like?
HT: Well... yes.
AD: Strawbery ruhbarb pie my mother backed before my drunken father killed her and my sister-
HT: Strawbery-rhubarb ye say? Well, remind me, laddie, next time we stay in town, I'd show ye Mistress Friture's shop. She makes exceptional pastry that one, I say, the best in town. *claps Anomen on his back*
AD: Can I still tell you how I killed twelve giants?
HT: Of course, laddie; and if you do not mind I'd ask ye to repeat it when we get to the shop so my sonny hear that one.

#2 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 04:54 PM

I actually would not mind the guy like that... though I prefer Cernd as my druid. How about a one-day NPC, Bob?

Hubelpot Thistledown: So Sir Anomen, what be ye favorite desert?
Anomen Delryn: Do not you dare to offend my tastes! I am a paladin of the Order of the Most -
HT:  Radiant Heart. Aye... Ye seem like a man who likes spices... Cinammon buns?
AD: Is that an allusion on my interest in fair <CHARNAME>? Are you trying to seduce my Lady behind my back?
HT: Nay, what for? Had an old lady of mine own back home... and a son... 'bout your age, and bakes great cinnamon buns.
AD: Commoner, are you indeeed only interested in what sweets I like?
HT: Well... yes.
AD: Strawbery ruhbarb pie my mother backed before my drunken father killed her and my sister-
HT: Strawbery-rhubarb ye say? Well, remind me, laddie, next time we stay in town, I'd show ye Mistress Friture's shop. She makes exceptional pastry that one, I say, the best in town. *claps Anomen on his back*
AD: Can I still tell you how I killed twelve giants?
HT: Of course, laddie; and if you do not mind I'd ask ye to repeat it when we get to the shop so my sonny hear that one.

I :wub: that dialog Domi.

Hubelpot and Viconia:

Viconia: I see your eyes upon me lowly male. Could it be that desire burns still within your aged flesh?

Hubelpot: Eh? What?

V: Have I distressed you rivvil? Does the exploration of your licentious nature shame you?

H: Lassie, hauf ra time ah cannae mense whit yer gang oan aboot. Gin yer aiblins wantin tae ken whitsitawboot, ah wiz wunnrin whit drow like fer scran?

V: What? Speak common wael!

H: Sorry lass ah cannae spraff "wael", common ur itherwise.?

V: Do you deny then the surging lust I elicit from you male!

H: Ar? Yer aye ae bonnie lass, boat ma wife wadna hae wi tha.

V: What?

H: Look, jus? answer. Ye cannae huv proper farmin? undergroon?, boat ye?ve gart muckle greet cities. Plain common: What do drow eat?

V: You want to know what drow eat?

H: Yes.

V: We . . . we have great caverns filled with delicate fungi of a thousand hues, and we hunt beasts large and small, beasts the likes of which you have never dared to dream!

H: You feed cities on mushrooms and game meat?

V: We also have some tubers.

H: So meat, potatoes and mushrooms then.

V: Well, yes. We also eat fish.

H: Ah.

V: The fish are shining white, gigantic creatures, gifted with a rare and malevolent intelligence!

H: Ah?m sure.

V: You do know of the dark pleasures of the body in which Drow and Drow alone are trained?

H: Look, Ah?m cookin? up some pigeon tonight, wi' mushrooms an' onions. There?s also bread an? honey. Will tha' be ok?

V: Do we have any apples left?

H: Of course lassie. Would yeh like one?

V: Yes. And some extra mushrooms.

H: Mah pleasure.

Edited by BobTokyo, 08 July 2004 - 07:56 PM.

#3 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 05 July 2004 - 07:44 PM

Hubelpot and Viconia:

Viconia: I see your eyes upon me lowly male. Could it be that desire burns still within your aged flesh?

Hubelpot: Eh? What?

V: Have I distressed you rivvil? Does the exploration of your licentious nature shame you?

H: Lassie, hauf ra time ah cannae mense whit yer gang oan aboot. Gin yer aiblins wantin tae ken whitsitawboot, ah wiz wunnrin whit drow like fer scran?

V: What? Speak common wael!

H: Sorry lass ah cannae spraff "wael", common ur itherwise. Ye cannae  huv proper farmin? undergroon?, boat ye?ve gart muckle greet cities.?

V: Do you deny then the surging lust I elicit from you male!

H: Ar? Yer aye ae bonnie lass, boat ma wife wadna hae wi tha.

V: What?

H: Look, jus? answer. Plain common: What do drow eat?

V: You want to know what drow eat?

H: Yes.  

V: We . . . we have great caverns filled with delicate fungi of a thousand hues, and we hunt beasts large and small, beasts the likes of which you have never dared to dream!

H: You feed cities on mushrooms and game meat?

V: We also have some tubers.

H: So meat, potatoes and mushrooms then.

V: Well, yes. We also eat fish.

H:  Ah.

V: The fish are shining white, gigantic creatures, gifted with a rare and malevolent intelligence!

H: Ah?m sure.

V: You do know of the dark pleasures of the body in which Drow and Drow alone are trained?

H: Look, Ah?m cookin? up some pigeon tonight, wi' mushrooms an' onions. There?s also bread an? honey. Will tha' be ok?

V: Do we have any apples left?

H: Of course lassie. Would you like one?

V: Yes. And some extra mushrooms.

H: My pleasure.

*Giggles madly* Now, with that diet Viconia will not be that skinny and mean anymore! Hey we are off to a good start to 1 Banter with ever NPC and 6 with Jan which does not concern TURNIPS.

How about that:

Hubelpot and Aeire

H: Lassie, come here...
Aeire: Wh-what? You...you startled me, uncle Hubelpot
H: *Produces a huge handkerchief with red and white checkered pattern and catches Aerie's nose with it.* Now ye blow, lass, it's no good fer a girl to sniff all th' time.
A: *Blows her nose delicately* I... I am sorry. The air here near the ground is so... so itchy.
H: Dusty ye mean? Well, that's road fer ya, lassie. No helping that. Oh, I see ya need to blow ye nose again.
A: *Blows her nose again, this time more forcefully* Oh, I... I miss the skies so much. Ah, Uncle Hubelpot, if only you knew what joy it is to fly...
H: Ya, I know tha feelin'... Ya see, lassie, when I was a whisp o'a lad, I wanna marry a pretty thin' just like you.. but then I married missus Thistledown there, and now I wanna no different. Here lassie, take that.
A: Wh-what is it?
H: A lolly-pop. Try suckin' on it an' ya throat feel not so raw.
A: It...it does feel better.
H: Ah, wait 'til we get to an inn. Ale, lassie, is the besterest thin' to get rid o'a road dust.
A: Ale? I.. I do not know if avariel drink ale...
H: Princess, even Ao almighty would down a mug or two if he dragged his ass about for a day under a pack full o' dented armour with us.
A: *Giggles* Do you have... another lolly-pop, Master Hubelpot?
H: Aye, here we go.

So I will therefore ask you to put stats on Khadion based on your own interpretation of him. If you have questions about his personality before setting the attributes, I will answer any questions gladly.

Well, I do not put stats on NPCs generally - my modding carrier was all related to developping dialogues for pre-generated characters; If I was to create a human charmer swashbuckler I would go with some such reasoning as shown below. where I have given a range it needs to be balanced for total trade off:

14 for strength - lean, rather than heavy-muscular, but strong enough to climb, run etc
16 to 18 for dexterity - epitome of grace to as good as it gets
12 to 16 for constitution - above average, to manage all these women, wine and escapades
9 for wisdom - grown up, but below average
from 10 to 16 for intelligence - average to smart but not smart enough to DC into a mage
16 for charisma - charming but lacks ability to inspire loyalty and determination of a leader

#4 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 08:48 PM

Hubelpot and Aeire

H: Lassie, come here...
Aeire: Wh-what? You...you startled me, uncle Hubelpot
H: *Produces a huge handkerchief with red and white checkered pattern and catches Aerie's nose with it.* Now ye blow, lass, it's no good fer a girl to sniff all th' time.
A: *Blows her nose delicately* I... I am sorry. The air here near the ground is so... so itchy.
H: Dusty ye mean? Well, that's road fer ya, lassie. No helping that. Oh, I see ya need to blow ye nose again.
A: *Blows her nose again, this time more forcefully* Oh, I... I miss the skies so much. Ah, Uncle Hubelpot, if only you knew what joy it is to fly...
H: Ya, I know tha feelin'... Ya see, lassie, when I was a whisp o'a lad, I wanna marry a pretty thin' just like you.. but then I married missus Thistledown there, and now I wanna no different. Here lassie, take that.
A: Wh-what is it?
H: A lolly-pop. Try suckin' on it an' ya throat feel not so raw.
A: It...it does feel better.
H: Ah, wait 'til we get to an inn. Ale, lassie, is the besterest thin' to get rid o'a road dust.
A: Ale? I.. I do not know if avariel drink ale...
H: Princess, even Ao almighty would down a mug or two if he dragged his ass about for a day under a pack full o' dented armour with us.
A: *Giggles* Do you have... another lolly-pop, Master Hubelpot?
H: Aye, here we go.

<golf clap>
Well done. :)

I'll contribute another when I'm more awake.

As to stats for a non-optimized swashbuckler, I'd go for around 84 total points or less. Probably 14 STR, 17 Dex, 15 CON, 14 INT, 10 WIS, 14 CHA. Fairly strong, charming, and bright, almost as good as a human can be as far as speed and grace are concerned, athletic build. Optimized the changes should be obvious.

#5 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 06 July 2004 - 09:57 AM

Hublepot: So Cernd, what be ya trade afore ya split from ya missus?
Cernd: A vegetable merchant.
Hubelpot: I thoughts so... Figured I heard ya name in the Guild. So how come I dunno ya?
Cernd: We only moved to Athkatla a few months before I left... on my quest to serve the nature. It was three years back from now.
H: Aye, that?s explains it. ?Bout this time, ?twas a particularly fine crop of beets down south, so I went in hopes to get a bargain afore others hear of that.
C: That?s right, Master Hubelpot. Beets were exceptional that year, indeed.

H: Can I still count ya as a fellow vegetable merchant, Cernd? I miss talkin' 'bout bussiness, ya know.
C: Sure, Master Hubelpot.
H: Say, there?s somethin? in our trade that makes one wanna be a druid.
C: Perhaps the closeness to the nature?s generous bounty puts one in the philosophical frame of mind that compels him to protect the Great Mother.
H: Ya said it, laddie. I was a wee gnomling, and me father he had a vegetable patch o? his own... So I?d be goin? out every morn, afore dawn to collect cow paddies... and they all be covered with morning dew... and I?d think of all?ya good thing? that?ll grow even better. I reckon anyone would wanna be a druid if he?d got that frame.

Hubelpot: What where ya thinkin? of Cernd while closeted down that basement?
Cernd: I tried not to let the gloomy thoughts of the slaughtered animals to overcome me. So I was reminiscing on canning... mainly asparagus, because the sole ray of glorious sun that penetrated the small window in my cell late in the afternoon was so feeble, that it reminded me of early spring.
H: Aye, good. So what spices d?ya use for asparagus?
C: Thyme, cherry leaf, cloves... black peppers of corse.
H: Ah, my missus she?s great believer in adding current?s leaf in it.
C: For pickled cucumbers - perhaps, for tomatoes even, but for asparagus I would not.
H: Mayhap y?a right, lad. Too perky, that.

#6 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 05:54 AM

Hublepot: So Cernd, what be ya trade afore ya split from ya missus?
Cernd: A vegetable merchant.
Hubelpot: I thoughts so... Figured I heard ya name in the Guild. So how come I dunno ya?
Cernd: We only moved to Athkatla a few months before I left... on my quest to serve the nature. It was three years back from now.
H: Aye, that?s explains it. ?Bout this time, ?twas a particularly fine crop of beets down south, so I went in hopes to get a bargain afore others hear of that.
C: That?s right, Master Hubelpot. Beets were exceptional that year, indeed.

H: Can I still count ya as a fellow vegetable merchant, Cernd? I miss talkin' 'bout bussiness, ya know.
C: Sure, Master Hubelpot.
H: Say, there?s somethin? in our trade that makes one wanna be a druid.
C: Perhaps the closeness to the nature?s generous bounty puts one in the philosophical frame of mind that compels him to protect the Great Mother.
H: Ya said it, laddie. I was a wee gnomling, and me father he had a vegetable patch o? his own... So I?d be goin? out every morn, afore dawn to collect cow paddies... and they all be covered with morning dew... and I?d think of all?ya good thing? that?ll grow even better. I reckon anyone would wanna be a druid if he?d got that frame.

Hubelpot: What where ya thinkin? of Cernd while closeted down that basement?
Cernd: I tried not to let the gloomy thoughts of the slaughtered animals to overcome me. So I was reminiscing on canning... mainly asparagus, because the sole ray of glorious sun that penetrated the small window in my cell late in the afternoon was so feeble, that it reminded me of early spring.
H: Aye, good. So what spices d?ya use for asparagus?
C: Thyme, cherry leaf, cloves... black peppers of corse.
H: Ah, my missus she?s great believer in adding current?s leaf in it.
C: For pickled cucumbers - perhaps, for tomatoes even, but for asparagus I would not.
H: Mayhap y?a right, lad. Too perky, that.

Is this three different banters? It seems that way, but I want to be sure...

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#7 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 07 July 2004 - 09:14 AM

Nalia (if Keep is a Stronghold):

Hublepot: So missus Nalia, ye got yeself a good plot of land there, ei?
Nalia: Yes, D?Arnises? Duchy is quite large.
H: So what d?ya grow?
N: Oh... my family does not work the land, subletting it to the farmers instead. And my aunt always prohibited me to talk to the peasents about their livelihood... so I know very little. Wheat perhaps... or was it rye?
H: I saw oats mainly when we passed. Thought that crops look promissing this year.
N: My father was a generous master, and <CHARNAME> manages well, but I still think that taxes imposed on the farmers are too high. Of course I need to pay my aunt?s allowance now that she moved to Atkatla, but myself - I can easily live on half what <CHARNAME> sets aside for me... Or even on a quarter if I-
H: Missus Nalia, it?s nice that ye care for ye peoples, but do not cut yeself too short... Skinny as ye are, ye still need eating.
N: No food taste better than the one honestly earned or even better - grown by your own labors. I do admire simple men like you who work hard! I once had a row of tomatoes, I planted myself and I have learned a very important lesson, Hublepot.
H: Oh, that ye need to cover ?em or black rot will take ?em all?
N: That too... But the most important thing I have learned while tending my patch was that noble birth counts for nothing with tomato plants. Unless you work hard and care for them every minute they?d never ripen. Just like simple people need much attention and care from their lord for the rulership to be rewarding. I think that every noble needs such an experience.
H: I beg ye pardon missus, but if it has to be tomatoes, ye want to grow, send ye nobles more southward than ye Keep. Unless ye intend them as evergreens that is.
N: Oh... you mean that in the south tomatoes ripen with less efforts?
H: Aye, in Tethyr, one only need to dump a bucket o? water or two every now and then, and the tomatoes grow big, red and sweet... no comparison to our fare.
N: *Sighs* I am afraid that it carries a wrong moral message to the ruling class.

#8 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 09:24 AM

Advantages:
Can create different vegetables which all have their special powers, or sold to merchants for a good price:
Carrots - can be used to summon rabbits, like the horn or eaten for healing
Tomatoes - can be used to be thrown on people for 1D2 damage + stun + blindness for two rounds
Beans - can be thrown on the floor for entangle-effect, people will slip on it unless save vs. ??, or (listen to this:) being able to cast the spell Stinking Cloud two times, if eaten.
Peppers - if eaten, you'll be able to breathe fire (breath weapon) twice for 1D8 damage for two rounds, unless save vs. breath weapons
Garlic - protection from vampires, if eaten.
Potatoes - heals twice as good as other vegetables.
(more suggestions of vegetables welcome)
Can be of any neutral alignment (since balance isn't as important to him as to other druids)
Can reduce prices in shopping from merchants, due to his surpreme haggeling-skills.
(more suggestions welcome)

Disadvantages:
May not shapeshift
(more suggestions welcome)

Ehhh loving it all, except for the alignment bit. Really think that should be left Neutral only.

You could always use jalpenios (sp?) to give him "dragon's breath". Use the Ag's scortcher for damage and animation.

As for the carrots... as a High Level Ability, how about letting him summon "vorpal bunnies"? (Like in the Holy Grail)

First possible banter (for MTS anyway):

Jaheria: Hublepot, you need to learn to take your role as a druid more seriously.
Hublepot: Whatever do you mean lassie?
J: You seem to forget your duties to nature and balance, and obsess over cooking and vegetables.
H: ~nods slowly as if in thought and finally breaks the silence to speak~ Well lassie, there are many roles in nature.Vegetable farming has taught me many imnportant lessions. First you have to learn to deal with rabbits and other rodents sneaking into your garden to eat....
J: You do not mean you set traps do you?
H: No I don't, and please do not interupt. No, I make sure and plant enough to share with some of the rodents. The only time I do use traps is for over-population issues, but as a driuid I am sure that you know all about making sure that no side upsets the balance.
J: I....
H: Now, now, don't stutter. Also in farming you learn alot about incets as well. Much like rodents, you learn to tolerate a mild insect infestation as what they are doing is only natural. You just have to keep your good eye on them to make sure that they do not overpopulate.
J: You have given me much to think about.
H: Nothing to worry about. Now what about dinner tonight? All this talk about rabbits and vegetables has got me craving my famous rabbit stew. Jaheria? Would you do the honor of hunting with me tonight?
J: I... I would be honored.

Feel free to use/not use and edit as you would like.

Edited by MajorTomSawyer, 07 July 2004 - 09:26 AM.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#9 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 09:42 AM

I like the blue and green one that Sir Kill did the best. Blue skies and green fields. Kinda fits in with the character. As for involving him in quests, I love that idea.

You could give him dialogue with the guy who tires to bust Jan Jansen and the begger also. I forget his name again.

Tax Collector: Hublepot my old friend, how have you been?
Guard: Does anyone like you?
TC: Keep it up. I am sure the city's cest pools need to be patroled.
Guard: Sorry
Hubbelpot: Ahh good day to you. Did you not get my last payment from my son in the shop?
TC: I did, but I am afraid that your tax rate will need to be raised. There has been an increase in buisness that I have seen.
HT: Ahh of course. Perhaps you might like to take a nice pie home with you next time you stop by? You look like an apple kind of lad.
TC: Are you trying to bribe me? And what do you mean by "Apple kind of lad"?
HT: I would never dream of bribing a loyal servant of the people such as yourself, good sir. I appologise for any offense. As for the apple remark, I only thought since you are so loyal to Amn that you would be the time to enjoy the "All-Amish-Pie."
TC: Oh, well actually--
HT: Great, I will have my son get right on that so next week when taxes are due it will be ready for you. Maybe a nice jug of cider to go with it. Then you could find a nice young lassie to share it with.
TC: Um.. yes well, that will be acceptable I guess. Carry on citizen.
Guard: ~snicker~
TC: Come along, time for your reasignment.
HT: ~Waits for TC to walk away~ A good enough fellow. Always trying to pinch a little for himself. Such is the way of buisness. Sorry for the interuption, CHARNAME. Let's get back to your quest.

Feel free to use/not use and edit as needed. Sorry I could not remember his name.

Also, if you kick him out of the party (why would anyone ever want to do that?), I am assuming he will go back to his shop?

Edited by MajorTomSawyer, 08 July 2004 - 10:07 AM.

#10 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 08 July 2004 - 11:35 AM

'K here are Valygar's. Please, let me know if you need anyone else in particular. Otherwise I'll just scribble a couple odds and ends if I get an inspiration :)

Hubelpot: I beg ye pardon, young Master Corthala -
Valygar: Hubelpot, do me a favor -
Hubelpot: Aye, I misspoke again, me bad. My good Lord Cortha-
Valygar: I?m no lord!
Hublepot: How come? Ye lord father was a lord and ye lady mother was a lady -
Valygar: *bitterly* My ?lady? mother was a lich, Hubelpot and turned my ?lord? father into a zombie!
Hubelpot: Aye, that?s a tad non lady-like, but w?all have our quirks. *Shakes his head* Could been worst, aye.
Valygar: Uh-huh.
Hubelpot: Like if her ladyship would turn your lordship?s father into a skeleton... no meat at all on ?em buggers. Such indecency.

Valygar?s quest done:

Hubelpot: That kinsman o?yours, Lord Valygar...
Valygar: Lavok? What of him? I think he finally found his peace of mind. I only wish that I could do the same.
Hubelpot: Well, I say if ye took after him -
Valygar: Let me assure you, that I did not! I have refused to succumb to the pull that evil magic exerts on me! I will never become a necromancer.
Hubelpot: Yeah, ?course. But complexion-wise, m?lord, is another matter entirely. What I meant to say Lord Lavok, gods rest his soul, looked unhealthy-like. Sort o?bluish in his face.
Valygar: Lavok was 500 years old!
Hubelpot: Aye? Well, then let us all look that crisp when we are his age...
Hubelpot: But I still say that ye lordship needs to drink milk every even, not ale. Helps with bad temper too, aye.
Valygar: If only it all was that simple, Hubelpot, if only... You do not understand, Hubelpot.
Hubelpot: Aye, forgive me for speaking out of line then, m?lord. I figure that with ye lurkin? in ?em woods, milk aren?t that easy to come by.

#11 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 03:41 AM

This is one I could see being an ongoing banter between the two of them.

Huble: 'Scuse me a minute lad.
Yoshi: Yes?
H: You are from Kara-Tur, right?
Y: That is correct, why do you ask?
H: I mean nothing by it, my interest is culinary in nature.
Y: Ahh yes, Kara-Tur is most famous for our cuisine.
H: I'll admit, eastern cuisine is not a subject that I know alot about.
Y: Cooking is not one of my better skills, but I would be willing to show you some of the basic techniques of preparing our dishes.
H: I would be honored and I look forward to it my friend.

Dealing with a massive sinus headache right now, so not able to focus my ideas into coherent thoughts. I could see him and Keldorn having quite a few banters. I would also like to see Hublepot have some input on the Keldorn's wife quest. One married man to another.

Edited by MajorTomSawyer, 09 July 2004 - 03:43 AM.

#12 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 04:37 AM

Here's their first dialog as a sample. Feedback appreciated.

Jan_Hub1

Jan: Hubelpot my old friend! What are you doing outside of your shop!

Hubelpot: Jansen! Wha tis good ta see ye lad! How air the bairns?

J: Doing well.

H: And Agripina? Did she try tha? ginger tea with honey?

J: She did! Yes, the swelling went right down.

H: Good to hear it.

J: So Hubelpot, I hear you?re having problems with the guild?

H: Aye, true enough. Ah borrowed from ?em more an ah shoulda done, an? now ah?m een a fix.

J: You know, this reminds me of a situation faced by old cousin Fingers, must have been, oh, around the year of the Undereducated Trout . . .

H: ?Undereducated Trout??

J: Yes. So Fingers, he was my third cousin on my Father?s side you understand, Grizella?s husband . . .

H: Grizella?s the lass wi? the peg leg an? the bird?

J: The very same! Funny story there . . .

H: Eh! The gang air movin? agin?. We?d best geit on.

J: Right, yes. So Grizella was working as a slightly used enchantment dealer . . .

#13 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 04:44 AM

Here's their first dialog as a sample. Feedback appreciated.

Jan_Hub1

Jan: Hubelpot my old friend! What are you doing outside of your shop!

Hubelpot: Jansen! Wha tis good ta see ye lad! How air the bairns?

J: Doing well.

H: And Agripina? Did she try tha? ginger tea with honey?

J: She did! Yes, the swelling went right down.

H: Good to hear it.

J: So Hubelpot, I hear you?re having problems with the guild?

H: Aye, true enough. Ah borrowed from ?em more an ah shoulda done, an? now ah?m een a fix.

J: You know, this reminds me of a situation faced by old cousin Fingers, must have been, oh, around the year of the Undereducated Trout . . .

H: ?Undereducated Trout??

J: Yes. So Fingers, he was my third cousin on my Father?s side you understand, Grizella?s husband . . .

H: Grizella?s the lass wi? the peg leg an? the bird?

J: The very same! Funny story there . . .

H: Eh! The gang air movin? agin?. We?d best geit on.

J: Right, yes. So Grizella was working as a slightly used enchantment dealer . . .

It's excellent. But, I have the feeling that the dialogue should be best as an interjection when the party first speak with Hubelpot (with Jan in the party), or the opposite. And is "bairns" a typo, or a word I don't have in my vocabulary (which wouldn't be surprising...)

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#14 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 05:22 AM

I have the feeling that the dialogue should be best as an interjection when the party first speak with Hubelpot (with Jan in the party), or the opposite.

Yes, it's meant to be their first banter.

And is "bairns" a typo, or a word I don't have in my vocabulary (which wouldn't be surprising...)

It means children. I'll tone down Hubelpot's use of regional dialect, except when he speaks to Viconia; if she can come out with Drow, he can reply in dialect. ;)

#15 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 05:50 AM

I have the feeling that the dialogue should be best as an interjection when the party first speak with Hubelpot (with Jan in the party), or the opposite.

Yes, it's meant to be their first banter.

And is "bairns" a typo, or a word I don't have in my vocabulary (which wouldn't be surprising...)

It means children. I'll tone down Hubelpot's use of regional dialect, except when he speaks to Viconia; if she can come out with Drow, he can reply in dialect. ;)

Great idea!

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#16 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 11:46 AM

Jansen Banter #2: Feedback wnated, needed, dreamed of with hearts afire!

Jan_Hub2

Jan: So Hubelpot, you?ve decided to leave the exciting world of high stakes vegetable marketing for the quiet stability of the adventuring life?

Hubelpot: Oh? Aye, ah suppose.

J: Well, I?m sure you?ve made the right decision. I remember when my dear, sweet Aunt Petunia first decided to take to the road . . .

H: The lass with the beard?

J: The very same! Now Aunt Petunia once was a simple farm girl, why she had nothing more to her name than a very large house made out of flat bread and an enormous wagon carved from a single pomegranate . . .

H: A house made out of flat bread?

J: Yes, she started as an apprentice witch you know, but she was never very good with sweets, and those gingerbread cottages attract mice. Also, Petunia had a weight problem, not serious you understand, but in the end the flatbread seemed like a healthier choice.

H: Ah can imagine.

J: Well now Aunt Petunia had hear of a magnificent treasure in the realm of enchanted baked goods, The Eternally Self Renewing Loaf of Rye. At the time it was in the hands of a powerful and unfriendly Pastryomancer named Levinia. . .

H: Pastry-o-mancer?

J: Yes. You know your boy Hamlish might want to consider Pastryomancy as a career path . . .

H: Wait now! Git back to yer Aunt Petunia and this Loaf.

J: Oh that. Well, as I was saying, the loaf was in the hands of Levinia, and so Petunia grabbed for it. You see, Petunia knew that if she could just get the entire loaf, she could use it to overpower Levinia, end her evil reign, and win recognition as a true mistress of the baking arts! Not mistress in that sense of course . . .

H: So did she do it then?

J: Do what?

H: Did yer Auntie manage to defeat this Levinia?

J: Well no, no she didn?t. She only managed to pull away half the Loaf. Naturally, she had no choice but to flee! She took to the road that very day.

H: Eh? Wha?d she have to flee?

J: Hubelpot! I?m surprised! Haven?t you heard that with half a loaf it?s better to run?

H: ?Half a loaf it?s better to run?? . . . heh . . . that?s awful Jansen.

J: Awful Jansen! Now there?s a name I haven?t heard in years! Have I ever told you . . .

#17 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 04:48 PM

Cats is slang I picked up years ago. Think it bugs most of my friends too....

Came up with more banter.

This one involves Enge. He is the fruit salesman in the Promanade for those of you who don't remember him.

-------

-Enge: 'Allo, gut day.... Hublepot? Vat can I do for ja?

-Hublepot: Just here with my traveling companions. They are in need of supplies and I heard that you have branched out to other markets then just fruit.

-Enge: Ja! Is very true! Ve be havink much fruit, yes? But you no be wantink fruit! I be sure! Ve havink added much more then just fruit!

-Hub: Between you and me, <CHARNAME> Enge does carry the freshest fruit in Amn. I am sure any equipment he sells will be top of the line.

-Enge: Ja! Enge is knowink his fruit. For friends of Hublepot, I'll be givink you discount, ja? Ja, very gut ja! You be wantink to see everythink, ja?

--------

I went with the dialect since bioware used it. I thought they could be friendly since Huble is vegeteables, and enge does fruit. IMHO one of the things that makes Chloe one of the best NPC downloads is how interactive she is thoughout the game. I thought since no one does anything with Enge in any downloads (ASFAIK), this small banter could be added in seamlessly (if you cats like it, edit it as needed). As for the discount, no reason to have to add it (if it is alot of work), the banter still works with or without it.

I'll probably have more later. Playing BG2 again. If I am posting too many of these, feel free to tell me to stop. IMHO (again) NPCs cannot have too many banters.

Edited by MajorTomSawyer, 10 July 2004 - 04:51 PM.

#18 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 08:27 PM

HT-HD

Hubelpot Thistledown: Laddie, Ah wuz wonderin? if ye could satisfy me curiosity a bit?

Haer Dallis: Ah my dear Old mother hen, I?ll gladly bandy words with you. To satisfy your searching wit, what might this fledgling cockerel do?

HT: Eh? Laddie, um, Ah?d ask ye please nay ta call me a hen.

HD: Ha! Cluck not in anger my nurturing friend! I merely point out your self to you, and mean not to offend. (grins)

HT: Er . . . look, laddie, Ah don? wan? tay be arguing aboot this, bu? yer bein' a might irritatin?. Also, what?s wi? the rhymin??

HD: Poor mother hen with ruffled feathers, distracted now from your endeavors. Tell me, what was it you wished to know? Wished you to hear some tale of woe?

HT: Actually, I wuz wonderin? what kind of gardens ye?d seen in Sigil. How they were laid out, the sculpture an? such. Now if ye?d rather play rhymin? bird games that?s fair enough. Ah?ll get back to me cookin?.

HD: Gardens? You show surprising grace old mother hen! Wish you to hear of the Lady?s garden?

HT: Aht this point, no.

HD: Hah! Listen well! In the City of Doors did the Lady of Pain a stately pleasure dome decree . . .

#19 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 09:37 PM

Keldorn ?Hubelpot (at least one rest period after Keldorn?s quest is complete)

K: It is a fine day my friend. On a day like this I feel young again.

H: Ye?re in good spirits today Sir Knight.

K: And why should I not be, good Hubelpot? My lady and I are reconciled, my children are happy, and I am grateful. What more could a man ask of life?

H: He could ask for breakfast, Sir Knight.

K: Hah! Right you are!

H: Fear not, Sir Knight. I hae slain ye some bread an? jam, an? Ah think Ah ken add some small beer to yer feast.

K: A mighty feast indeed!

H: If Ah may say so Sir Knight, this new moods suits ye.

K: Thank you Hubelpot. As I said, it is a good day. Pass the small beer, would you?

#20 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 08:02 AM

Nalia-Hubelpot (after Nalia gives money to the poor)

H: Aye, ye are a kind hearted lassie.

N: Why, thank you. It?s not that though. I?m just trying to do what?s right.

H: An that?s a good thing miss. Say, do ye drink mead?

N: I mean, I try to help the less fortunate.

H: Ah can see that. Anyway, we?re almost out o? beer, an? this wine nay be good, but ah hae some mead in me pack . . .

N: The lower orders struggle so, your lives so difficult, and I feel so bad for you all. You must so crave the tiniest acts of compassion, the smallest crumbs of kindness.

H: Err . . . Yes. We?re all very grateful. Try the mead, there be bits o? apple in it. It?s almost scrumpie, but nae as strong.

N: I?m sorry Hubelpot. I must sound just like my Auntie. I do realize that you are not a beggar. Have you ever felt the need to reach out to those less fortunate?

H: Wha? Yes, miss. Ah remember once when a street kid ran into me shop. Grabbed a customer?s purse an? tried to do a runner. Luckilly Ah haid me sling handy. Got him wi? a stone right behin? the ear.

N: What! How could you! That is not helping the less fortunate!

H: Maybe so. Still, mah customer thought it were helpful. She got tae keep her purse. As tae the little laddie, Ah put him to useful work muckin? out the stables o? a frien? o? mine. A little honest work does the soul some good.

N: And . . . did the boy reform?

H: Nah. Little bugger kicked me friend a good one in his danglies an? scarpered a few days after.

N: Hubelpot! I don?t think you?ve understood what I?m talking about at all!

H: Ah might nae hae followed ye missy. So, will ye be wantin? some mead then?