15 replies to this topic

#1 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 08:45 PM

Hi all,

If you tried to access SHS earlier today, you probably recieved a page saying that the bandwidth limit had been reached. I have rectified this problem by raising the limit.

When SHS moved onto its own server, we were using around 300GB of bandwidth per month. As such, I set the bandwidth limit to 1TB, which seemed a reasonable amount for making sure we'd never run out. But ever since then, SHS has continued and continued to grow, and so far this year, we've averaged about 850GB per month. A few hours ago, the 1TB limit was exceeded for the first time in SHS history.

Some might say I should've been proactive and upped the limit when the bandwidth continued to grow every month, and they'd be right. I apologize for the inconvenience this downtime may have caused, and promise that it won't happen again.

- Sebastian

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#2 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:34 PM

A few hours ago, the 1TB limit was exceeded for the first time in SHS history.

Well, hey, I guess this is a good thing in some respects at least, no?

And I was actually logged in sending a PM when I first got that bandwidth message, and I didn't bother logging out, and I didn't even lose the message or any other data or even get logged out for that matter, so it could've been a lot worse.

(Though there is something a bit fascist about a provider that just immediately strangles your entire site when you reach the bandwidth limit, rather than trying to contact you politely first about it at least once...)

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#3 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:25 PM

Thanks for the quick action, Seb, and congratulations on the new traffic record. Does it feel as good as going into a higher tax bracket?
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#4 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 11:09 PM

(Though there is something a bit fascist about a provider that just immediately strangles your entire site when you reach the bandwidth limit, rather than trying to contact you politely first about it at least once...)

I've been getting occasional warning emails indicating that we've reached 80% of the limit. The problem has been that I've been getting those every month this year, as they kick in once we reach 800GB. Because 200GB is a lot of bandwidth and there were only a few days left of the month, I usually don't pay much attention to them. Suffice to say, that was the wrong move this time. I still like to think that an additional (and differently named) email when reaching 95% would be better.

And it's not the provider--it's the built-in software on the server. I could try to see if I can disable that, though.

Thanks for the quick action, Seb, and congratulations on the new traffic record. Does it feel as good as going into a higher tax bracket?

Well, it wasn't so much a "quick" action with the site being down for 10-11 hours. :P

And yes, I'd have to say that it feels about the same as going into a higher tax bracket. It's good to know that we get more and more traffic, but it's a lot of bandwidth to pay for.

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#5 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:44 AM

Well, this is understandable situation and all... but the question comes: What will happen before the next months beginning. ^_^

Well, now that this been taken care of... @SConrad :hug:
And sorry for my spamming.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#6 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:16 AM

What will happen before the next months beginning. ^_^

Like I said, I have upped the limit so I doubt we'll get this will happen again.

And sorry for my spamming.

Posting and reading topics is a very minor contributor to the bandwidth usage. The real bandwidth stealer is the mod downloads.

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#7 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:06 AM

Well, it wasn't so much a "quick" action with the site being down for 10-11 hours. :P

Well, I hope no one's whining about that: I couldn't log in last night, gave a little sigh, woke up the next morning, and everything was fixed! :D Not much to complain about, in my opinion.

A question, however, if I may: I recently toasted one of my hard drives which had all my mods installation files on it; having recently replaced it, I immediately proceeded to downloading them once again (what can I say, I'm a neat freak who like having her mod installation files all set and ready to go in nicely organized folders on her hard drives ^_^ ).
That was two days ago: does that mean that I'm at least partly responsible for the down time, or can I sleep soundly tonight? :)

Edited by Eleima, 01 June 2009 - 05:06 AM.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#8 Xicloing

Xicloing
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:25 AM

Man, that got me seriously frightened... donated, hope other do too...

What about adding a possibility so uploaders can *optionally* add a torrent-link for their stuff (espacially 50+ Mbytes and bigger downloads) ?

#9 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:37 AM

A question, however, if I may: I recently toasted one of my hard drives which had all my mods installation files on it; having recently replaced it, I immediately proceeded to downloading them once again (what can I say, I'm a neat freak who like having her mod installation files all set and ready to go in nicely organized folders on her hard drives ^_^ ).
That was two days ago: does that mean that I'm at least partly responsible for the down time, or can I sleep soundly tonight? :)

Depends on wether 1/2000 or somesuch classifies as responsible.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#10 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:39 AM

You can sleep without any fears. Even if one person downloads every single mod we have available (for both the IE games (including TCs which aren't compatible with each other anyway) and Oblivion and any other files we have), he or she wouldn't create that big of a dent in the overall bandwidth usage. With SHS, it's the collective number of downloads from a lot of people that makes all the difference. We get many thousands of visits every day, and a lot of them find their way to the downloads.

Man, that got me seriously frightened... donated, hope other do too...

As have been stated before, all donations are much appreciated. I've already sent you a PM thanking you for your contribution, and I'll add you to the list of donors momentarily. :)

(Speaking of which, I haven't updated the donation thread in ages. Must remember to do that tomorrow.)

What about adding a possibility so uploaders can *optionally* add a torrent-link for their stuff (espacially 50+ Mbytes and bigger downloads) ?

Torrents have been brought up several times before, and while we have considered the possibility, it's not an option we think is feasible. I don't believe the demand is high enough for mods to have the number of seeders to make such a system useful, and we would end up having to seed the mods using the SHS server anyway. Besides, having the server act as a torrent tracker would only put more strain on the bandwidth--using other trackers would probably not be a preference, either.

And that's not even taking into account the issue of mod updates--we would not want torrents with outdated mods floating around.

Theoretically, I suppose we could set something up that addresses all of these issues, but it's definitely not something I have time to devise and install right now.

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#11 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:15 AM

Had me worried for a bit there! Glad all is well and the problem has been sorted.

#12 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:15 PM

All I can say is congratulations!

Think about it. 1TB of Bandwith for games that (without the WoC liscence & mods) would probably be on abandonware ware sites for free download.

These games are dinosaurs, but sites like this maintain interest in dead games (in truth, they keep them from being dead, but my point is still valid).

Obviously you are doing something right with how you run the site.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#13 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:33 PM

Obviously you are doing something right with how you run the site.

I suppose. I've been hearing how "IE modding is dying" for the past 3-4 years, but I have yet to see the effects of it. Our number of visits, pageviews, unique visitors, number of downloads, and so on, have been steadily rising over that period of time. The statistics seem to have evened out a little bit over the past 6 months or so, but there are certainly no signs of them dwindling. The bandwidth for May should be proof enough of that.

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#14 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:01 AM

And if they do release a new BG game, as dire as it is likely to be, will it not merely stimulate interest in the other two games and the modding communities? I think it can only go up from here.

Oh SConrad, a couple hours of downtime doesn't make us love you less. x

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

My adoptables > Your adoptables.

#15 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:32 AM

Just to notify SConrad, there was a very minor downtime in the 31st of July to 1st of August, at least in Finland, but it lasted for 20 to 30 minutes cause the date hadn't changed to the 1st of this months in the server, so I got this message:

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache Server at forums.spellholdstudios.net Port 80

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#16 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:36 PM

Yeah, we know :) Thanks for pointing it out, though.

We hit over 1.2 terabytes of bandwidth. Quite a feat!