Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:07 PM

hammer.gif
File Name: Thrown Hammers
File Submitters: Miloch and Sam.
File Submitted: 08 August 2019 (v1 submitted 11 Jun 2008)
File Category: Miscellaneous Released Mods
Forum: http://www.shsforums...thrown-hammers/
Readme: English, French

Adds thrown hammer animations and a few items to most IE games.

Click here to download this file

--
Original post, by Sam.:

In Baldur's Gate II, there are several war hammers that can be thrown, including "Dwarven Thrower +3" (hamm06.itm) and "Aegis-Fang" (aegis.itm). Even though they are war hammers, when they are actually thrown they appear as an axe flying through air instead of a hammer. The "projectile type" of the thrown hammer is "axe.pro" whose "projectile anim" is "axe.bam". I was wondering if anyone had built an animation for a thrown war hammer and/or if this has been fixed by some mod.

tia

Edited by Sam., 29 August 2022 - 07:21 AM.
Update Download Link

#2 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:33 PM

It'd be a lot of work. There are 5 cycles and 30 frames in each, giving you ~150 frames to edit.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#3 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:00 PM

It'd be a lot of work. There are 5 cycles and 30 frames in each, giving you ~150 frames to edit.

Thanks for the response. Although that may be the size of a normal .bam, axe.bam has 5 sequences with 6 frames in each, giving you a total of only 30 frames. I have actually already started it?. It?s sort of a cut-and-paste job from the 11 or so other animations for hand-held war hammers. The problem is the thrown animation calls for angles of the war hammer that don?t exist for the hand-swung ones so it?s not perfect. It functions and looks ok but it?s the wrong color in game. The head of the war hammer is the same blue that it is in the .bam? it should be blue right? What am I forgetting?
-thanks

#4 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:29 PM

Wow, awesome--I hope you work it out, as thrown war-hammers would be fantastic to see!

#5 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:47 PM

Yes, you are right... the total frame count is 30 - I thought that was the count per cycle without looking too closely at it originally. In that case, it wouldn't be that tough, as some frames don't even have much data to edit.

I'm not sure what you mean by "blue" - the axe (or hammer) head should be grey, and the background a turquoise (RGB value 0,151,151 to be precise).

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#6 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:40 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by "blue" - the axe (or hammer) head should be grey, and the background a turquoise (RGB value 0,151,151 to be precise).

Uuuuum, look at WQNWHA3.bam. The head of the war hammer is mapped to blue so that in-game, it will look the color defined by the .itm file. Right? Since I got the frames for the thrown war hammer from these .bam files with blue heads that do work, I?m not sure why mine isn?t working. Maybe the problem is in the .pro file?.

#7 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:50 AM

Uuuuum, look at WQNWHA3.bam. The head of the war hammer is mapped to blue so that in-game, it will look the color defined by the .itm file. Right?

Oh, I see. That means it is palettable or the colour of the weapon in someone's hand can be changed (probably not blue though). I'm pretty sure the thrown projectiles are not palettable though - the axe isn't anyway. So you probably just want to make the hammer head grey.

You might need to do more with the .pro and you might need to add it to missile.ids too, if that doesn't have hardcoded limits (it it does, you could replace an existing projectile maybe).

#8 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:53 PM

I'm pretty sure the thrown projectiles are not palettable though - the axe isn't anyway.

Why would they be any different? I noticed that the axe wasn't but to me that didn't mean that they couldn't be.

you might need to add it to missile.ids too, if that doesn't have hardcoded limits (it it does, you could replace an existing projectile maybe).

As far as I can tell, you have to add the entry to projectl.ids. That part of it is seems to be working fine for me.

#9 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:21 PM

I'm pretty sure the thrown projectiles are not palettable though - the axe isn't anyway.

Why would they be any different? I noticed that the axe wasn't but to me that didn't mean that they couldn't be.

I don't know - you could test it. I would guess that once the projectile is thrown it's no longer on the .cre that controls the palette. I don't think dagger.bam or any of the other thrown weapons are paletted either.

#10 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 08 June 2008 - 03:32 PM

I don't know - you could test it.

Ok, I tested it and it appears you are right. I'm having a bit of a problem though. When I am throwing the hammer at a target up and to the right, the direction of the hammer's spin reverses direction a third of the way to the target. WTH is causing that? It's not the sequence of the frames in the .bam because when the war hammer is being thrown down and to the left, it is spinning the correct direction the whole way. Any suggestions?

#11 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 03:41 PM

When I am throwing the hammer at a target up and to the right, the direction of the hammer's spin reverses direction a third of the way to the target. WTH is causing that? It's not the sequence of the frames in the .bam because when the war hammer is being thrown down and to the left, it is spinning the correct direction the whole way. Any suggestions?

No idea. Does it happen if you use the same .pro file with a different .bam like the axe or dagger?

#12 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:56 PM

No idea. Does it happen if you use the same .pro file with a different .bam like the axe or dagger?

Yes. It happens with the origional axe.pro and my.pro with axe.bam and my.bam on my computer even after rebooting. I even tried them on a different computer and it still hammened. It must of always been there, I just hadn't paid enough attention to notice it before. That means that they are finished. If only I could figure out how to attach files to a poast....

#13 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:12 PM

It must of always been there, I just hadn't paid enough attention to notice it before.

Probably means it's hardcoded then. Oh well.

That means that they are finished. If only I could figure out how to attach files to a poast....

Cool. I think you might need to register to attach stuff, and you might need to .zip or .rar the files. Then you can upload the file and select the attachment in the window above the Upload to insert it in the post.

#14 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:36 PM

Lets see if I can attact it right.

Please keep in mind that "It?s sort of a cut-and-paste job from the 11 or so other animations for hand-held war hammers. The problem is the thrown animation calls for angles of the war hammer that don?t exist for the hand-swung ones so it?s not perfect". All I had to make these BAMs was NearInfinity, DLTCEP, and MS Paint. If you can't get them to work right, just let me know.

Oh, if anyone feels that these are worth an installer that adds the entries to the IDS file and changes the ITM files accordingly, that would be great.

Attached File  Thrown_War_Hammer.rar   190.9K   886 downloads (use Miloch's link 3 posts down)

Edited by Sam., 11 June 2008 - 03:11 PM.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#15 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:47 PM

Oh, if anyone feels that these are worth an installer that adds the entries to the IDS file and changes the ITM files accordingly, that would be great.

Got it. I'll post a WeiDUized version here in a bit (unless there's somewhere better to upload it).

I'll throw in a few items I WeiDUized but never got around to releasing. These are some of Lord Delekhan's items he gave me permission to use, including a thrown war hammer (Mjolnir). I guess I can recolour the BAM and give that the blue projectile since it's not used elsewhere.

#16 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:15 AM

Feel free to upload it to the Misc Mods category in the DM, if you'd like. Will be very interesting to see it ingame--posts some screenshots if you can!

#17 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:04 AM

Feel free to upload it to the Misc Mods category in the DM, if you'd like. Will be very interesting to see it ingame--posts some screenshots if you can!

Done :).

Thrown Hammers v1
Download page
Readme

The readme has some screenshots Sam took and some item graphics. I don't know if you want to move it to SHS (if so, all the files are in the mod download).

I also did OSX and Linux versions. I don't know if I can add them to that same page or if they show up as separate entries (which would be kind of spammy).

I tested this with BG2-ToB and EasyTutu. It should be compatible with BGT also (which has a special "scatter" option where the new items appear in either the BG1 or BG2 portion of the game).

#18 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:04 PM

Cool! and Thanks!

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#19 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:17 PM

Awesome. :) I'll take a look when I have a moment in the next few days, can't wait to check it out!

#20 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:34 PM

I just did the manual edit with some Check the Bodies masterwork throwing hammers (they stack up like throwing axes). Fantastic stuff Sam.! And also to Miloch for making these Weidu-licious. :Bow: :Bow: :clap: :clap: :clap:
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant