• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:38 PM

Anyone have a clue which spell effect this is? I can't for the life of me get rid of it, or even figure out where it's coming from.
Posted Image

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#2 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:08 PM

That bam is hardcoded into some anti-spell protection opcodes. Spell Deflection, Spell Trap, Spell Immunity, Cloak of Mirroring are examples.

That, or I didn't get what you've been asking for.

Retired from modding.

#3 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:18 PM

That bam is hardcoded into some anti-spell protection opcodes. Spell Deflection, Spell Trap, Spell Immunity, Cloak of Mirroring are examples.

Ah, that explains it then. I made the svirfneblin immune to illusions as per PnP rules.

Sheeite. Is there any way to disable it then, or another opcode to use besides 204?

(I guess this is Modding Help now, not that it makes a huge difference.)

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#4 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:42 PM

IIRC it's done via 296th, with 'spmagglo' as a resource. BG2Tweaks has some solution to the problem too.

Retired from modding.

#5 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:09 PM

IIRC it's done via 296th, with 'spmagglo' as a resource.

This did not disable the spmagglo, possibly because it's hardcoded into opcode 204, which must override it or something...

BG2Tweaks has some solution to the problem too.

Yeah, its Cloak of Mirroring component overwrites spmagglo.bam with a blank one, which seems a bit heavyhanded but must've been necessary because of the above issue. It is a rather ugly animation, and I don't know if it's used for anything else. Now if we could just figure out which BAM that stupid hardcoded Creature Summoning grey cloud is... <_<

#6 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:40 PM

There's "Disable visual effects"; no resource key, although param2 probably has to be non-zero (to set the stat). This effect prevents the display of hardcoded overlays for deflection and reflection effects only. All sources of the animation are blocked. You may wish to add it prior to the spell type immunity effect to prevent "blinking" of the globe (it can show up before the engine processes the disabling effect).

SPBOOM (I believe) is hardcoded to the engine in its summoning effects (some or all of them). I don't know if you can ever get it to stop without overwriting the BAM (but this is also used for non-3D Fireball impact hit and some of the presto-disappear-o spells). It's a swappable palette animation (can be colored), so it shows up as red, green, blue, or whatever in various places, but it's all the same file.

#7 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:40 PM

this is also used for non-3D Fireball impact hit and some of the presto-disappear-o spells

You mean, hardcoded in there as well? As otherwise it should be a deal to just switch it to another one in existing effects that specify spboom as a resource.

Retired from modding.

#8 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:52 PM

You mean, hardcoded in there as well?

Yeah, spboom is the fireball-looking animation that I told you about that appears when you use a Summon opcode as an external effect. Taimon thinks it is also the cloud that appears when you don't (with a grey overlay) but I don't see how that's possible since it looks nothing like it. It's more like a small cloud of dust being kicked up than a fireball but it's only a few frames, maybe buried in there somewhere. Taimon also said you can also use NONE as param5 to disable it potentially, but I haven't tried that yet.

#9 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:47 PM

Ok, I tried both of these tricks (opcode #291 to disable spmagglo and 'NONE' in the VVC field in an external EFF to disable spboom) and they both worked, yay. No hacking or overwriting necessary to get rid of nasty unwanted effects, and no more visible invisible CREs.

Just one more question vaguely related - timing mode 1 (permanent) should suffice for an effect like the former on a non-joinable NPC, as timing mode 9 (permanent after death) is only relevant to joinables or the PC, right?

#10 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:20 AM

as timing mode 9 (permanent after death) is only relevant to joinables or the PC, right?

Well, yes, provided you can kill and then revive PC, that is ;)

Retired from modding.

#11 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:04 PM

as timing mode 9 (permanent after death) is only relevant to joinable NPCs, right?

?

#12 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:12 PM

as timing mode 9 (permanent after death) is only relevant to joinables or the PC, right?

... yes...

Retired from modding.

#13 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:40 PM

Yeah, spboom is the fireball-looking animation that I told you about that appears when you use a Summon opcode as an external effect. Taimon thinks it is also the cloud that appears when you don't (with a grey overlay) but I don't see how that's possible since it looks nothing like it. It's more like a small cloud of dust being kicked up than a fireball but it's only a few frames, maybe buried in there somewhere. Taimon also said you can also use NONE as param5 to disable it potentially, but I haven't tried that yet.

It should be the same (the game knows green, blue, red, and gray palettes for this, and it's re-colorable in PROs IIRC). It's used mostly for the old-style fireball and random summon (by 2DA) effects (it also has its own lighting effects numbers for all four), but it somehow carried over to EFF summons. I'd set the field to SPF**k just to spite. :)

Timing mode 1 is fine if you don't need something to persist after NPC death (you almost never do). I can only think of instances of visibility (if you want an animation to keep running, or maybe a color or tint change, after the creature bites it). If it's just on NPCs, though, there's really not much reason to not just set it at 9 (it would seem to be useful for #291, but nothing that applies the auto-animations would actually be running permanent after death, so there's likely no practical difference in-game).