• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#61 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 27 July 2002 - 09:02 AM

It is? He has Ranger levels now, does he? blink.gif Easy on the cheese, will ya? Just 'cause he hates paladins' guts doesn't mean het gets combat bonuses.

Oh rubbish. AD&D rules are there to be guidelines. If everyone is inside the rules, the world becomes a very boring place. How is this Dragon different? Better stats. Gosh, that's exciting!

Giving him a racial enemy is hardly going to end the world, and it supports his story nicely.

I'm anti-cheese, but I think you're just sticking to the rules there for no good reason at all. Why do Rangers get racial enemies? Probably because someone in particular ravages their forests. It's not because they're rangers, but rather, because of their enviroment. Therefore, the question should be, why *wouldn't* Dasypus have a racial enemy?

#62 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 27 July 2002 - 09:06 AM

Cuv, is Dasy still using my trial script or did you give him something else?

Xyx, That is your script he is using. The only changes I made was to add the Lithify... and lessen the invisibilty a bit. He is going to need some work done... cant let him fall "easily". I want him to be the toughest single enemy ever faced in the game. Perhaps he should be hasted too? That might help.

Cuv

#63 Michel

Michel

Damn. I'm good!

• 1003 posts

Posted 27 July 2002 - 09:06 AM

Whats the CLUA code of the Ring of Wish? It is gone from my inv. In my exploring minutes of the dungeon (to see if i missed things) i used that ring to get out. I end up near the place where the Rakshasa used to be and meet Buli there. Now i cant get out and i dont know the area code. I only get the message "Lock of Nymphs hair"

I think i did all the quests now (atleast thats what i think ;)). Can you give a summary of the quests available in this version?

#64 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

Bloody engine of destruction ... oh, wait. That was my Sorcerer

• 722 posts

Posted 27 July 2002 - 11:10 AM

Xyx, That is your script he is using. The only changes I made was to add the Lithify... and lessen the invisibilty a bit. He is going to need some work done... cant let him fall "easily". I want him to be the toughest single enemy ever faced in the game. Perhaps he should be hasted too? That might help.

Cuv

Heh, he didn't fall "easily" for me, but then I didn't use slaying weapons on him. Making him immune to instant death effects would take care of that.

True Seeing takes care of most of his invisiblity. The invisiblity only affected the first fight I had with him much.

His near immunity to fire renders a lot of spells fairly useless against him.

His healing is amazing & two timestops + two Lithify's makes him quite tough. I have yet to be able to kill him unloading from a single timestop the way I can with so many other creatures.

What might be needed are ways to blunt the fighter types GWW ability & scripting to pay less attention to summoned things meleeing with him. This latter is how my mages aways survived. They just sent summoned things at him and stood back to use spells. Due to priority targeting of nearby targets they were always able to hang on for quite a while. I would suggest targeting:

1. Melee party members
2. Mage party members
3. Melee summons
4. all other party members
5. anything else.

To be perfectly honest I found the Strom fight to be harder than the current Dasy fight.

How about giving him something nasty like a similarcum that immediately casts spell immunity divination & can fight alongside him? Players use this sort of thing all the time, why not a tough monster?

I also rarely hit more than one of the traps so I don't know what they all do, but the ones I saw were all lightning. It might help if there were just few more traps & some of them had effects like confusion, fireball, cloudkill, etc. Lighting is nice, but it is pretty easy to prep for just one type of attack like that.

#65 Michel

Michel

Damn. I'm good!

• 1003 posts

Posted 27 July 2002 - 12:49 PM

Heh, he didn't fall "easily" for me, but then I didn't use slaying weapons on him. Making him immune to instant death effects would take care of that.

I was shocked myself!! I just stood there watching at the screen thinking WTF?!?!?! :P :lol:

To be perfectly honest I found the Strom fight to be harder than the current Dasy fight.

Most definetly true. Especially when fighing multiple Infernal Guards. I already hate them :P

How about giving him something nasty like a similarcum that immediately casts spell immunity divination & can fight alongside him? Players use this sort of thing all the time, why not a tough monster?

Whoa! Now thats a fight i wouldnt want in the beginning. Why not do that when he is "Injured"? (on Core)

If you are playing at a higher dif (insane)
Then you can do that "simu/spell immun, div) Now THAT would be an INSANE fight

:o :o B) :unsure: :lol:

#66 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 27 July 2002 - 01:07 PM

Perhaps he should be hasted too? That might help.

So would making him invincible.

Making him immune to instant death effects would take care of that.

Making him immune to timestop and GWW would take care of other problems too.

The Dasypus script is fairly basic right now. My understanding is that this is just to see how he does. Xyx mentioned clones to me some time ago, so I assume they are on the cards.

#67 Delvar

Delvar
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 July 2002 - 06:25 PM

Try fighting dasy in your pocket plane it seems much different, at least on mine it did. I started a new pally game, sadly enough my old SOA one couldn't come because of Yoshi being in my party. After nearly dieing because my bag of holding had nothing in it, I got my party cheated in some items for my pally then beat grommy. After that got a mel bug then ported to yaga's road. Talked to Jarta (always cracks me up when you shove some random junk in when you don't have conversation ready) Tried to rest got attacked by some banshee's, kicked there ass, used raise dead on Minsc. Went on kicked more vamp butt, then I faught some vamp mages. They put up a bit of a fight, but fell easily enough. The only thing they did was prot from magic weapons or something and stun, and chain lightning.
As for the cult of the dragon. They weren't all mages were they? In the pool of radiance ruins of myth drannor they had cult fighters to. That is 3e junk though not sure about 2e since in some other book they were all mages.
The monsters are hard for new games, but most peeps downloading this have beaten the games many times and have 30-40 parties. So far this mod is a hack and slash so far, and a bit of roleplaying, but look at what we can do now. When I was talking to Jarta it was more exciting then most of the battles I have ever done. Also it is just a beta right now, so we have to wait a while longer till the next one comes out.
The Imoen conversation's are good so far. I really want to know what Immy will say in the next version. If this is what the Imoen mod will be like then I'm really looking forward to it, great job quitch. Did you add anything to sarvy, because he said some some junk when Immy asked if he fealt any different with her soul in him.
I'm going to do king strom again to see how the fight goes, then I'm going to try and beat on dasy again on insane just for fun so I'll post later. My next run through I was going to try solo or only one or two peeps. Anything special you want me to do, or should I just run around and kill things. Oh and why should dasy be immune to vorpal and death junk? He is just a dragon after all, not some god figure.

#68 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 27 July 2002 - 08:01 PM

Oh and why should dasy be immune to vorpal and death junk? He is just a dragon after all, not some god figure.

That was Quitch being sarcastic... no need to make Dasypus immune to vorpals... the key is to just make him harder to hit with unique tactics, not add cheese to his creature file:p

Cuv

#69 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 27 July 2002 - 08:04 PM

The Dasypus script is fairly basic right now. My understanding is that this is just to see how he does. Xyx mentioned clones to me some time ago, so I assume they are on the cards.

Yep... I am going to be working with Xyx on a Simulacrum for him. For those that don't know, it is not easy to do. We are going to follow Sporks template script for the Ascension Irenicus to make it happen. Sims are a tricky scripting job to create a fully functional clone.

Cuv

#70 Delvar

Delvar
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 July 2002 - 08:17 PM

I thought Dasy was fine. Puts up a good fight can use a gaze, backstab, lots of healing potions, good fire res. Some kind of dragon breath thing would be interesting though. If you should add to anything add to the weights these things stink.

#71 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 27 July 2002 - 08:17 PM

His near immunity to fire renders a lot of spells fairly useless against him.

His healing is amazing & two timestops + two Lithify's makes him quite tough.

Not sure what you are trying against him, but he has 0% immunity to Fire and Magical Fire. Only Red Dragons have that immunity. Dasypus is partially immune to Cold and fully immune to Electricity... hence all the Lightning Traps. According to the monster references, he should have the ability to magnetise armour and render it useless with his breath weapon. This isnt really feasible with the Infinity Engine, there is nothing else like that in the game.

About the healing; that tells me that he is using his Rod of Resurrection... that means the script is running and that you are fighting him legally:p Right now he has 4 charges on that rod... but it will be dropped to 1 when all his other abilities are fully scripted. Also, he does regenerate, but only at 1hp per round... which is hardly noteworthy.

Right now he has two Time Stop scrolls. Do you think two is too much? The way I adjusted the LOCALS, he doesnt use them back-to-back, but rather waits a bit before using the second. He also carries a scroll of Restoration... should you level drain him too much.

Lithify: He has virtually no limit to use of this ability, but there are alot of other things higher in the script that take priority. Twice is good... but I have had him use it on my party a dozen times. You can protect yourself with Protection from Petrification wizard spell.

I am disappointed that more people havent reported him using backstab. He wont get the opportunity often, when he it hits... its nasty. He only does Quintuple damage, but that is usually enough to kill Sarevok or Keldorn outright.

Cuv

#72 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 28 July 2002 - 01:59 AM

The next beta should be out in about two weeks. That's a rough estimate. Rachel seems to have disappeared, along with several dialogues.

The Imoen mod won't be in PST talk, so there will be less actions, and there won't be thick talk either. People think the clash of styles would break the mood. I much prefer PST style, it gives text so much more emotion and mood, but consistency is important too.

Sarevok has not had anything changed in his Bioware dialogues.

From talking with Xyx, it sounds like Dasypus is really going to get much harder. However, that's the idea. He's supposed to be someone who may well be your doom.

#73 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 28 July 2002 - 05:08 AM

Not sure what you are trying against him,  but he has 0% immunity to Fire and Magical Fire.  Only Red Dragons have that immunity.   Dasypus is partially immune to Cold and fully immune to Electricity... hence all the Lightning Traps.

What I based this off of was the fact that when Melf's Minute Meteors get used against him I see messages to the effect of "target was immune to damage...." things. Plus when I tried to use dragons breath on him in my first two tries it never did any damage. Comet & Abi always did though so I stuck with those later to great effect.

Right now he has two Time Stop scrolls.   Do you think two is too much?   The way I adjusted the LOCALS,  he doesnt use them back-to-back, but rather waits a bit before using the second.  He also carries a scroll of Restoration... should you level drain him too much.  

I never let him get that second one off. I was letting him have the first, mostly because I didn't understand how the healing was scripted. I just noticed that more times than not he was 100% healed after a timestop. So I always made sure I did minor damage to get him to waste some healing in that first timestop & THEN I would really go to town on him.

Lithify:  He has virtually no limit to use of this ability, but there are alot of other things higher in the script that take priority.   Twice is good... but I have had him use it on my party a dozen times.  You can protect yourself with Protection from Petrification wizard spell.

I realize that, but I also think it's a bit cheezy to specially prep a party based on foreknowledge. Sure *I* know exactly what is coming sometimes & could protect my party, but what kind of roleplaying is that? I have to admit that I do occasionally special prep for battles, but I avoid it when possible. I feel much better about walking in cold with no prep or summons and wacking Firkraag & his pet mage than I if I summon a lot of monsters & then cast cloudkill offscreen or something. Of course "real men" sometimes take real beatings after trying things this way. :P

Both RP wise & the first time folks fight Dasy they will have no clue & the Lithify will be a big suprise. This is one heck of a powerful attack & the one that more often than not is what has gotten most of my party members killed. In my first few fights where the Djinni was locking things up Dasy usually killed Anomen in melee, and both Keldorn & Mazzy with Lithify. My mages would then fight on.

Since then I've started using more summons as buffers. The Clay Golem from the book, Mord's Swords, and a Diva. These usually distract him and have been very useful for keeping party members alive. Does Dasypus try to use Lithify when he is in melee?

Also given the lack of rest areas how many players will have this spell memorized by their mages without foreknowledge? Not many I bet.

I am disappointed that more people havent reported him using backstab.  He wont get the opportunity often, when he it hits... its nasty.    He only does Quintuple damage, but that is usually enough to kill Sarevok or Keldorn outright.

True Seeing. I use it as soon as he goes invisible. I think that this would make it harder on him. What would really be murder is if he did this during timestop, but thank goodness true seeing works there too.

Cuv, could you clear something up for me? Is Dasypus a living dragon or a draco-lich?

Also one last thing I've forgotten to note previously. For some reason my Chain Contingency spells set to go off "When Foe Spotted" don't go off when we first enter the room & see a hostile Dasy. Usually they get triggered after he goes invisible & reappears the first time.

#74 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 28 July 2002 - 05:27 AM

The next beta should be out in about two weeks. That's a rough estimate. Rachel seems to have disappeared, along with several dialogues.

The Imoen mod won't be in PST talk, so there will be less actions, and there won't be thick talk either. People think the clash of styles would break the mood. I much prefer PST style, it gives text so much more emotion and mood, but consistency is important too.

I'm glad to hear an ETA on the next beta. I'm really looking forward to it.

As for the PST talk on Imoen ... I have to admit that I am a bit dissapointed. I really like your RTW samples. I have never played PST and at first I found the difference to be a bit distracting, but after seeing the SoA/ToB talks again since seeing yours ... well lets just say I'm now a PST style convert.

#75 Michel

Michel

Damn. I'm good!

• 1003 posts

Posted 28 July 2002 - 05:51 AM

I am disappointed that more people havent reported him using backstab.  He wont get the opportunity often, when he it hits... its nasty.    He only does Quintuple damage, but that is usually enough to kill Sarevok or Keldorn outright.

I fought 4 times now and i never seen or noticed that he backstabs.

Why not give Dysapus more scripts? Or is that impossible? Depending on the avarage level of the party Dysapus could use a different attacking script. When fighting dragons in SoA and ToB at one point you 'know' what they are going to do. If Dysapus had more scripts and those are random then you'll never know what happens.

Edit:
Again..Anyone know that clua code for the Ring of Wish?

#76 Delvar

Delvar
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 July 2002 - 06:57 AM

How does a dragon backstab anyway. He is always facing my party, so he never even has the chance. Even if he goes invis he won't do it. I think you might of put in some kind of fire res thing because after tons of lower res he is immune to my dragon's breath. I'm not sure if he is immune to lightning because I thought a lightning bolt was doing damage to him, but I'm not sure I'll re fight him again later with my pally. If we want this battle to be harder, then add some more cult arch mages that should be fun. I like the music you put it, and I bet I am the only one to post about that so far. The map is great, the banshee look cool, infernal guards scare me. You might want to change what king s looks like, and you might want to add another lich just to make this battle even harder.

My party has some backstab armor, and whoever has it may be the one getting backstabbed so that might be why it does nothing.

#77 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 28 July 2002 - 07:54 AM

If we want this battle to be harder we'll give him better AI, which is exactly what he's getting. You have to understand that what he has now is really pretty basic.

As for the PST talk on Imoen ... I have to admit that I am a bit dissapointed. I really like your RTW samples. I have never played PST and at first I found the difference to be a bit distracting, but after seeing the SoA/ToB talks again since seeing yours ... well lets just say I'm now a PST style convert.

I'll open up the "style" topic on the Imoen forum again.

#78 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 28 July 2002 - 08:19 AM

Cuv, could you clear something up for me? Is Dasypus a living dragon or a draco-lich?

Dasypus is a living Cobalt Dragon. The whole plot is based around his elaborate scheme to get you to deliver the Holy Avenger sword so that he can use its pommel for his phylactery and complete the ritual he has begun with the cult to become undead. In the version you are testing, Dasypus is the Dracolich. Only the dracolich will have Lithify... living Dasypus does not possess this ability.

Now then... once Garren's dialog is in place you will understand better what is happening. Garren will have information for you concerning this dark ritual that Dasypus intends to perform. If you move quickly, you can catch the dragon before the ritual is complete and only be faced with an angry Cobalt Dragon... or if you delay, stop to rest, torture Garren... or otherwise screw around too long, then Dasypus will have had time to complete the ritual and use the Wish Ring to become a fully functional dracolich. So there is a bit of a real time limit here.

Cuv

#79 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 28 July 2002 - 08:22 AM

Anyone know that clua code for the Ring of Wish?

The ring is ("RTWWish")

I dont recommend that you clua it in... talking with the djinni will crash your game currently:p

Cuv

#80 Michel

Michel

Damn. I'm good!

• 1003 posts

Posted 28 July 2002 - 08:25 AM

Anyone know that clua code for the Ring of Wish?

The ring is ("RTWWish")

I dont recommend that you clua it in... talking with the djinni will crash your game currently:p

Cuv

The Djinn doesnt even talk to me. No talk icon and no intaraction. The only thing that happens is that my characters attack them.