206 replies to this topic

#141 Himself

Himself

CEO of the ENDLESS WAVES OF BAD DOGGIE

• 230 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:12 PM

Go Thorium GO!! You can do it :new_thumbs:

*Hands him an energy drink so he can mod for hours in a row :D
...to be isn't important, we're no longer than we're :)

#142 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:35 AM

Hope you are well TD and there are those like myself that come back to the forums now and again to still have a re-run of BGII with the new mods available. Currently going through it now and I can appreciate how hard it can be to keep your interest and put the time/effort in but I am patient and hope you can find the time/energy to complete it because I know it will be something truly worth savouring every moment for once done :).

It's strange first joining these forums pre-university and waiting for these mods and now a married and working man I still look forward to the release of this and many other mods, no game has come close, not even Dragon Age :).
Power for the Keep, Power for the Zhentarim!

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#143 RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:28 AM

It'll get here one day. I started watching this thread when I was in my last year of secondary school, and since have finished a degree in theoretical physics and am working on a PhD in particle physics, which requires much code writing; I can begin to understand just how much time it requires to write good code. And am evidently procrastinating.

One day, I have no doubt the dragon will deliver. :)

Edited by RaoulDuke, 07 March 2010 - 11:33 AM.

God loves his children.

#144 -Adanhedel-

-Adanhedel-

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:18 PM

Hi Thorium, and all the guys that are hopping to meet Valen again...

I'm french, and it seems years to me that I played BG2 for the last time... I'm only waiting this romance to play it again, with something new and interesting to do. What else can I say? I'll go on checking this site each years, hoping that the "in progess" will be changed into a "Finished & download". I now that you have a life too besides, and it must take a lot of time, so I just wanted to encourage you. Your nice work on Valen was terrific, and even if it takes 4 years again, I know it will worst waiting. So don't give up, do your best, you alone can do it!

#145 Thorium Dragon

Thorium Dragon

Hard at work...

• Modder
  • 408 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:07 AM

Thank you for the encouragement, I appreciate it. :cheers:

Mod in Progress: Valen Expansion

#146 Lisandro

Lisandro
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:18 PM

Hi... I've played Weimer Valen and it likes me so much... I've made update of spanish translation of it and I'd like to know if this expasion is other kind of mod, or is the same more long.

Thank you

#147 tomacatawata

tomacatawata
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:08 PM

So, How are things going?

#148 FuzzT

FuzzT
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:43 AM

Hi... I've played Weimer Valen and it likes me so much... I've made update of spanish translation of it and I'd like to know if this expasion is other kind of mod, or is the same more long.

Thank you

Read the F.A.Q. part of this forum.

As for Thorium Dragon, hope you finish the mod. (Without any permanent stress damage).
Hehe, Just take your time man. I myself am leaving for the army soon, so i'll probably take with me a copy of BG2 + mods to enjoy when possible.
-FuzzT-

#149 Lisandro

Lisandro
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:35 PM

Sorry, I have not read the FAQ... :whistling:

But, thanks for answer

#150 -Iec-

-Iec-

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:24 PM

Just posting to communicate that someone else has interest in your project.

Maybe you could make a beta available? At least the information would be backed-up.

#151 orbital

orbital
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:11 AM

Yep!

Same thing here, I post here just for saying I am very impatient to test your mod. Finish it please =)

#152 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:48 AM

I'm still here and watching, hope things are well!
Power for the Keep, Power for the Zhentarim!

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#153 Thorium Dragon

Thorium Dragon

Hard at work...

• Modder
  • 408 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:38 AM

Thanks, as always, for your patience. I've been busy with school the last few months, but hopefully a light at the end of the tunnel will present itself and I can dedicate more time to the project.

#154 -Iamotu-

-Iamotu-

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:29 PM

Thanks, as always, for your patience. I've been busy with school the last few months, but hopefully a light at the end of the tunnel will present itself and I can dedicate more time to the project.

You can do it! You can do it! Just sit for like one day and wrap it up :D

#155 Zireael

Zireael
  • 191 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:59 AM

I can't wait for this mod... I really like Valen.

#156 vonVince

vonVince
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:28 AM

Alot of people are following your work with keen eye. I bought Baldur's Gate II ten years ago - and I'm still plaing it: not only because it is a great game by itself, but because of people like you - modders.

I'll drink to you tonight (among other things!) :cheers:

#157 RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:22 AM

Still here too... :)
God loves his children.

#158 Thorium Dragon

Thorium Dragon

Hard at work...

• Modder
  • 408 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:47 AM

Alot of people are following your work with keen eye. I bought Baldur's Gate II ten years ago - and I'm still plaing it: not only because it is a great game by itself, but because of people like you - modders.

I'll drink to you tonight (among other things!) :cheers:

Yes, there are still many new things to experience with this old game through the modding community. I look forward to finishing Valen Expansion so that I can experience the game once again as a player with some of the new content that has been released.

#159 Neane

Neane
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:03 PM

In order to keep this Thread alive:

Is it done yet?
Need help in any way?

#160 Thorium Dragon

Thorium Dragon

Hard at work...

• Modder
  • 408 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:47 AM

In order to keep this Thread alive:

Is it done yet?
Need help in any way?

I will reach out for help when I need it. First I need to finish my creative part of the project. I'm currently in the tail end of my degree program and I've actually taken some classes that would help in this project including a project management class. And I am now in a software development class. Both of these have given me some valuable skills that I can apply to the Valen Expansion. One of the big pitfalls in software development is something known as "feature creep", which basically means that the developers keep adding stuff into the project because they think it would be cool and this causes delays. The mitigation for this problem includes "setting boundaries", which specifies what the product will not do. In retrospect, I should have done this from the project outset and had a defined project that was small, develop and produce it, then add features on in subsequent versions. Instead I took the opposite approach and built up a massive feature list before the production. I've made every mistake in project planning and management possible. But at least I know where I went wrong and can now work to fix it.

I think that the first thing I will do once I complete this class is create a project management/software development plan for Valen Expansion and post it to the board for other developers to use as a template. Others may find it useful, assuming such a product has not already been released somewhere else on the board.