Installation order for the new stuff

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#61 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 03:47 AM

I think the gui should be packaged separately and all the gui stuff needs to come out of the mods themselves.

Well, not necessarily. KD is the dynamic man. in that I mean that he likes all the code to be totally dynamic to cater for any problems with screwed up installation orders. I wouldn't normally have a problem with that, except that with a program like WeiDU to install things, functions and commands are limited, and the behaviour of WeiDU sucks at times (like the GUI uninstall thing). I like the dynamic idea but only when it is really necessary.

The GUI thing is a good idea, but I propose that instead of automatic install of a GUI, the first mod should just create the GUI mod and add the GUI files to the corresponding folders. The GUI program can, and should, be run manually by the user, and will check exactly what is in each GUI folder, such as by a placeholder text file that the mod will create, i.e. if you take a look in <BGII install directory>\GUIlist\ after installing one of those mods with a GUI, you will see folders numbered 0-20. KD's dynamic installation adds the GUI files to each of those folders. If the GUI program simply detects what mod added the files to particular folders, instead of the mod RE-WRITING Setup-GUI.tp2 to make things a heck of a lot crazier, installation would be so much simpler.

For those who are confused, here is a purely hypothetical example:

I install TDD-WeiDU. The GUI setup portion of TDD-WeiDU detects that the little GUI proggy doesn't exist, so makes all the folders and tp2 files and such. Now, since this is the first mod that adds an optional GUI, the GUI files are placed in folder number 0 of the GUIlist directory. NO EFFORT is made to force the installation of the GUI.

I now go and install SoS-WeiDU. The GUI setup portion of SoS-WeiDU detects that the little GUI proggy has been installed by a previous mod. It then checks, starting from folder number 0, which folder is the lowest number folder with no GUI files in it. This would evaluate to folder number 1. SoS-WeiDU goes on to place GUI files in folder number 1.

Same for TS-WeiDU --> folder number 2.
Same for CtB --> folder number 3.

Now, I have had enough of installing mods. As a totally optional thing, I decide I want a nice-looking GUI instead of the stupid classic BG2 ones :lol: . I go and manually run Setup-GUI.exe. The GUI setup program, upon initialisation, checks each folder number from 0-20 to see which ones have GUI files in them and which ones don't. It detects that folders 0 to 3 have GUI files in them. Now, it identifies what mod the GUI files came from in folders 0 to 3. Then, it prompts the user to choose which mod GUI they want to install. I choose TDD-WeiDU GUI, and the GUI proggy installs that GUI. Hurray!

Now, I decide I hate CtB, so I uninstall CtB. Of course, since the GUI mod has priority, it uninstalls first, then CtB is uninstalled, then the GUI mod is reinstalled. If I happened to choose the CtB GUI before, the GUI mod will simply error out and nothing will happen. Also, the CtB GUI files are REMOVED from folder number 3. Now, when I run the GUI proggy, it detects that folder number 3 doesn't have anything in it anymore (this is because CtB copied the GUI files over there in the first place, so uninstallation of CtB deletes those files), so I don't get the option for the CtB GUI anymore. Again, if I want to install another GUI, I simply uninstall the current GUI and choose a new option. Simple as that.

Finally, the only proviso for such an idea is to recommend that the GUI is install as the VERY LAST MOD. Otherwise the user won't get the option of changing the GUI unless they install all mods after the GUI.

Good idea? Discuss.

P.S. KD doesn't even need to change his code all that much.

Edited by Ascension64, 30 November 2005 - 03:47 AM.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#62 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 03:51 AM

sounds excellent

ronin

#63 iopden

iopden
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 02:59 AM

Why not to make auto installer and checker like in classic BGT-BP-NEJ?
It will save a lot of nerves for everyone.

#64 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 03:20 AM

Why not to make auto installer and checker like in classic BGT-BP-NEJ?
It will save a lot of nerves for everyone.

It would depend on whether the writers of all the mods are willing to do such a thing. The problem with this is we shouldn't do a 'merger' kind of thing until all mods get final.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#65 Promilus

Promilus
  • 378 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 06:28 AM

GUI-graphical user interface....just how the menu looks (i.e. IWD style used in TS and NeJ or standard BG2 style in TDD/SoS/CtB)

#66 trurl

trurl
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:49 AM

after a big install i reached step 10 and installed sos-fix1. however it uninstalled everything, installed itself and then installed everything again. is that how it is supposed to work? if yes should i have restored dialog.tlk after bgt uninstalled?

#67 Promilus

Promilus
  • 378 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:56 AM

It should only uninstal GUI and then reinstall it again after installing itself. That's how the TDD fix works...so perhaps SoS should also?

#68 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 12:00 PM

sounds like you forgot to do step 7 in the instructions.

ronin

**** WOOHOO 500 posts ****

:whistling:

Edited by ronin69hof, 05 December 2005 - 12:01 PM.

#69 trurl

trurl
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:24 PM

i am positive i uninstalled it, however BGT 0.99beta4 adds its own GUI at step 8; could that be the reason?

#70 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:46 PM

3) SoS v1.05/TDD v1.05/next BGT-WeiDU version (when available) - in any order

not the current version.

try to install BGT-Weidu between steps 7 and 8.

ronin

to quote myself :D install the BGT-Weidu version 99b4 at step 8 like all other weidu mods.

ronin

#71 trurl

trurl
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:06 AM

didn't my question imply that bgt was installed at step 8? first thing on step 8, so that can cound between 7 and 8. but could the GUI installed by bgt be the cause for uninstall, and in that case maybe it should go between steps 6 and 7? i followed that order exactly, sos-fix1 was the first of the fixes i tried to install.

#72 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:12 AM

BGT-weidu 99b4 does not install a gui. I think b5 will include one but b4 does not.

ronin

#73 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 02:49 AM

Well, BGT-WeiDU 0.99 BETA 4 does install a GUI but no in the same mechanism as the rest of the mega-modification. So, it wouldn't have any effect on uninstalling things, because all that code simply isn't there.

--------------
Retired Modder

#74 trurl

trurl
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:52 AM

i will try it again then, but what can i look for to find out what causes the uninstall should it happen again?

#75 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:17 AM

check out the debug files for the mod that you are installing at the time of the reinstall.

ronin

#76 raoul82

raoul82
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:16 PM

Question:why BGT weidu(current version) should be installed after TDD/SOS which are BG2 mods?Because I would like to play the BG1 part of the game with all the mods and then choose if going for TS/NEJ or TDD/SOS/CTB ecc... If it's not possible now, will it be with new BGT version? I mean, will I be able to install it without TDD/SOS etc.? When you think it will be available? Thank you, Raoul

#77 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:26 PM

You can install just the BGT stuff and play thru BG1, TotSC, DSotSC and NTotSC. When your done you could install the rest of them, I have not tried it like that but they are all weidu mods so it "should" work.

ronin

#78 trurl

trurl
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:18 PM

found it i think - it was the gui. i needed to run setup-gui and select uninstall three times before there was no gui component in the weidu.log.

thanks for the help

#79 Promilus

Promilus
  • 378 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:41 PM

@raoul-there were "compatibility" files in BGT...and BGT installation was detecting if any of: TDD, SoS, CtB, NeJ, NeJ2, TS...were installed...if yes BGT was copying compatibility files. If TDD/SoS/NeJ/TS/CtB would be installed after BGT there will be no more compatibility check...I believe that in final version this could be possible, right now it's not the best idea.

#80 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 04:16 AM

@raoul-there were "compatibility" files in BGT...and BGT installation was detecting if any of: TDD, SoS, CtB, NeJ, NeJ2, TS...were installed...if yes BGT was copying compatibility files. If TDD/SoS/NeJ/TS/CtB would be installed after BGT there will be no more compatibility check...I believe that in final version this could be possible, right now it's not the best idea.

Not quite correct, KD loves dynamics, so he implemented compatibility patching in TDD/SoS/TS/CtB, so in theory it should work. I am not exactly sure why BGT has to be in step 8 myself because of this. Maybe he has an answer...?

--------------
Retired Modder