BG1NPC v12 thread

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#1 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:05 PM

BG1 NPC v12 for Tutu and BGT is released at www.gibberlings3.net! The current version of BG1 NPC, v12, is set up to be a combined installer for both Tutu and BGT.

Fortunately, BGT users will get the resources of both SHS and G3 coders to make sure you have as much content as possible as fast as possible.

Unfortunately, I am not conversant in BGT code, so I managed to break it for BGT. The current version does not actually install :(. In spite of the ReadMe claims, v12 WILL NOT INSTALL ON BGT YET! Luckily for you, I managed to make the installer NOT install on BGT (yeah, right, it was my plan all along ; just in time to stop all of you from swamping SpellHoldStudios with a ton of "what did you do to Imoen!?!!?" posts .

Ascension64 and Sir BillyBob are guiding me through changes and editing stuff themselves; we will get a working version together for you soon. The content is all in the mod, it is just a question of getting the BGT resources and dialogues assigned correctly and reassigning BGT weapons to the creatures so they don't just shake their fists vaguely in your direction!

The current stable version of BG1 NPC for BGT is v11 with a fixpack, maintained and hosted here at www.spellholdstudios.net by SirBillyBob. It needs to be uninstalled before BG2 starts. It continues (as does the Tutu version) to have issues in Jaheira's quest where high reputation parties suddenly lose Jaheira, as she is supposed to leave if your rep hits 19 or 20. The new version will not require uninstallation, and with your help reporting instances we may be able to get the PIDs and player-initiate flirts working on BGT, too.

The good news is that the Tutu side is very stable, and the content is final. For the BGT folks, hold on, please... we have built the combined installer, so you know that we are close to being able to give you the whole mod, but Ascension64 and Sir BillyBob are checking through the changes and providing necessary feedback; Chevalier is ready and waiting to test the install. We need a bit more time to troubleshoot the BGT side. Changes made here will have no effect on the Tutu side, other than quick release of any minor bugfixes you folks find are needed when you play through v12. We will keep you posted.

Edited by cmorgan, 18 September 2006 - 03:16 PM.

#2 evildevil

evildevil

:-)

• 410 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:32 PM

could someone by chance reupload v11.1, then, please? v12 wont install on BGT apparently... and I just started a BGT game. (Awesome so far, btw)

I blindly asked, sorry... found a mirror...

Edited by evildevil, 27 September 2006 - 07:38 PM.

Every spelling error above is not my fault, and I should not be counted liable for such.

#3 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 12:37 PM

We are still working out a few minor problems (like the BG2 dialogues firing instead of Player-Initiated -Dialogues), but there is literally every-other-day work on getting v12 open for BGT business. Hopefully, we will be able to get you a version 12 that works relatively soon :)

#4 Jolyth

Jolyth

Feather Boa Wielding Dominatrix

• 2016 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 01:04 PM

We are still working out a few minor problems (like the BG2 dialogues firing instead of Player-Initiated -Dialogues), but there is literally every-other-day work on getting v12 open for BGT business. Hopefully, we will be able to get you a version 12 that works relatively soon :)

cmorgan. I have found a few spelling and grammatical errors. Might I be able to send them to you or is there another I need to inform? Thanks! :)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOOHOO! What a Ride!

Some people are like slinkies. They are not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs!!

Dyslexia of Borg: Your ass will be laminated

Solaufein Flirt Pack

3doctors1.gif

#5 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 23 October 2006 - 04:05 AM

How does the 1.12 version come ?

Anyway, i'm ready to start (again) a game, commencing to gather (once again) the mods I will be using this time, same quest as before searching for the best match beside the forest of BG's mods ;)

#6 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 04:21 AM

How does the 1.12 version come ?

Anyway, i'm ready to start (again) a game, commencing to gather (once again) the mods I will be using this time, same quest as before searching for the best match beside the forest of BG's mods ;)

Check over at Gibberlings Three, or the forums thereof, for details on BG1NPC v12.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#7 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 05:47 AM

Where actually can we ask about new NPC 1.12 project for BGT?

Reading at gibberling i note: "The Beta tag reflects that, while the Tutu side of the mod is considered stable, there remains some bugs to be worked out on the BGT side."

I'm wondering now what those problems are ... and where can we ask about problems eventually ;)

thanks,

mm75

Tired of the same boring spawned creatures u face in BG? Try BGSpawn

#8 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:40 PM

cmorgan. I have found a few spelling and grammatical errors. Might I be able to send them to you or is there another I need to inform? Thanks! :)

Jolyth, I would welcome you sending me the materials; I am afraid in my push to get stuff done I have sadly neglected to sweep the boards, pretty much popping back and forth in my usual haunts. Please send them to me, even though the new version is out and Beta3 should work for all of you BGT players right now! If we fixed them, great, but if we somehow missed them we sure would like to know about it.

@ melkor_morgoth75,

Where actually can we ask about new NPC 1.12 project for BGT?

Reading at gibberling i note: "The Beta tag reflects that, while the Tutu side of the mod is considered stable, there remains some bugs to be worked out on the BGT side."

Right here is fine, or pop over to G3 for info. Sir BillyBob and Chevalier (and of course Ascension64 as the sorce of all BGT knowledge) can catch most of the stuff here, or help us with the research.

The current info for BGT users is as follows:

The BG1 NPC Project v12 Beta3 installs cleanly on BGT, and is identical in content to the Tutu side of the installer save for some extra non-core content "tweaks" at the end of the install. It has successfully installed and played through Chapter 2 on my clean BGT install, and I believe farther on Chevalier's more heavily modded BGT (BP?) install.

There are two things to be aware of before installing and playing the BGT side of v12.

1. There are between 8 and 10 spots scattered over as many NPCs where we are tracking a problem with Player-Initiated-Dialogues. Chevalier just ran into one where he suddenly had an NPC repeatedly come up and initiate a PID, so that he had to save the game and come and get answers beore proceeding. Each of these is related to the special timers set for "no-condition dialogs", in this case Kivan expecting the party to have found the bandit camp and warning the player that they need to get a move on. These don't show up in Tutu, because we disable some of them, and because some of them have been repaired in BGT when Ascension64 cleaned up the scripts (I have learned alot looking at what he did to do this, and it is damn impressive work). They show up more frequently in BGT because NEJ et al mean much more time is spent in-game before Chapter 5 than on a usual Tutu install, so there are more chances to get these timers expired.
The fix for this is easy: CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("X#JCLEAN",GLOBAL",1)
Unfortunately, we are still researching how this will effect the BG1 NPC dialogues; your game will continue fine, but we don't know what BG1 NPC dialogues may be skipped over yet. This re-enables all 10 or so no-condition dialogues, and may mean that PIDs will not fire; instead you will repeatedly get the non-conditional dialogue each time you click on the NPC. We need to research and test a game with the problem; it can be done on the fly by repairing specific lines in BCS files.

2. There is a persistent "difficulty" (expected behavior for the original game which has unanticipated side effects for modders) in both BG1 NPC and BGT where reputation forces neutral characters to leave at extremes of Reputation. Since BG1 NPC introduces relatively small rewards, augmented by reputation gains and decreases based on player choice, the opportunity for your mixed-alignment party to break up is greatly increased. The most infamous (and only clearly documented) example of this is the "Jaheira Quest Bug", where you do everything she wants, and 75% of the way through her quest, she takes off because you have too high a reputation.
The current "fix" for this is to either install a "Happy Patch" from another mod like BG2 Tweak Pack, so that folks don't up and quit on you, manually change your HAPPY.2DA, or install a mod that changes Jaheira to "Neutral Good". This happens on both BGT and Tutu, but again as there is longer in-game time on a BGT install, the likelyhood of BGT players running into this is much greater.

Long Story Short: Please don't be scared off by the Beta3 designation. If you have the time and inclination, try it out - as far as we can tell, the only materials that have problems are easily worked around, and until someone plays the mod and reports the difficulties, we can't remove the Beta status!

Edited by cmorgan, 23 October 2006 - 02:49 PM.

#9 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:16 PM

@ cmorgan

:Bow: :Bow: :Bow:

Thanks for the clear explanation,

mm75

Tired of the same boring spawned creatures u face in BG? Try BGSpawn

#10 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:08 AM

@ cmorgan,

Feel free to hold off on Level1-NPCs work, as I much rather have a working full release of BG1NPC!

My MegaInstall is too sensitive to do beta-testing. Sorry!

"I gladly simp for jastey" -- Aza
==========================================================
"You ever notice that "What the hell?!" is the answer to just about everything?"
==========================================================

"Girls are like phones, they like to be held and talked too, but if you press the wrong button, you will be disconnected!" DJ Nikodemus
================================================================
Community Contributions
* Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * Shar Nadal (DSotSC-BGT) revision * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls * a directory of Mega-Installation Guides *

#11 -HRose-

-HRose-

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:10 PM

Question:

I have installed the BG1NPC 1.11 and the 1.12 patch (those available here). So I'm up to date or it's better to use the 12 beta 3?

And in the case it's better to use the new version, can I simply disinstall the two I have through weidu and install the new one without risking too much?

Unrelated: are the BG2 flirt packs compatible with all this?

#12 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 11:04 AM

Currently, the most bug-free, content-rich, and most error-corrected you can get is the Beta3. You can deinstall the versions you have, delete the old BG1NPC folder, get WeiDU v197, and use WeiDU v197 to install Beta3 (just rename the WeiDU.exe "setup-bg1npc.exe", replacing the v196 that comes with Beta3).

If you do run into a problem of any kind, let us know here and we can fix it!

As ar as we can tell, the BG2 flirt packs should be installed after the transition to BG2. Otherwise, some SoA content shows up in BG1. You do not have to uninstal BG1 NPC, though; Chevalier spearheaded the effort to create the "close up shop at the end of BG1", so you do not have to remove BG1 NPC when you go on to BG2.

Edited by cmorgan, 04 November 2006 - 11:06 AM.

#13 -HRose-

-HRose-

Posted 04 November 2006 - 07:00 PM

Well, I noticed the flirt pack is marked as compatible, while for the banter pack it says you may hear BG2 dialogues during BG1, so it's the same for both?

Installing both only when I move to BG2 makes sense. Even if I'm still waiting the day I can have a "flawless" install and don't have to juggle with files.

I guess the biggest problem now is that the BG2 tweak and fixpack are still not compatible with BGT...

#14 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:48 PM

Well, Chev's work was to get it so you could install BG1 NPC Project and not have to uninstall it. Everything in BG1 NPC shuts down on the transition to BG2, so you can explore the Sword Coast, and not have any content accidentally (and inappropriately) "bleed" over into BG2. Someone could do something similar to the Banter Pack, by adding a single condition check to each of the dialogues and interjections; for now, though, unless you want some strange BG2 references and banters popping up in places along the Sword Coast, it is best to install the Bater Packs right after the transition to BG2 :)

As for the Tweak and FixPack, it doesn't hurt to check. I think there is only a bit of wiggling to make them compatible, and it is worth dropping by various fora to check.

#15 Sandor Ravenhand

Sandor Ravenhand
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:42 AM

Hi. Just want to say thanks to everyone involved in the BG1NPC mod. I'm currently using the V12 Beta 3 on
a BGT installation, and it seems to add a whole new depth to the story.

A couple of (minor) bugs I've noticed so far - I don't know if this is the right place to mention them:

1. The Club +2 "Eye of the Storm" given to Jaheira on completion of the Shadow Druid quest by
Seniyad has no graphic. I only knew it was there 'cos the cell in inventory was shaded brown
since I couldn't use it. Seems that X#JACLUB.ITM calls up graphics _iblun01.bam, _gblun01.bam
and _cblun01.bam which aren't present in the BGT installation.

2. The female commoner just inside baldurs gate (AR7800) talks about the BG1 NPC installation!
Probably other NPCs in the town as well. I found out it's because the BGT installation of BG1NPC
uses dialog source RBALDU.D whereas the Tutu version uses _RBALDU.D. This means that the TP2
AUTO_TRA doesn't pick up a .tra file for it. (same would apply to NPCWAIT.D if this was implemented
in the BGT version.

I added:

USING ~BG1NPC/TRA/%LANGUAGE%/_RBALDU.TRA~

after the line

COMPILE ~BG1NPC/BGT/DLG/RBALDU.D~

in the TP2 file and then reinstalled to fix it.

#16 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 06:45 PM

1. The Club +2 "Eye of the Storm" given to Jaheira on completion of the Shadow Druid quest by
Seniyad has no graphic. I only knew it was there 'cos the cell in inventory was shaded brown
since I couldn't use it. Seems that X#JACLUB.ITM calls up graphics _iblun01.bam, _gblun01.bam

This is a know problem, I think fixed for the next version.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#17 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 07:53 PM

yep -- a whole ton of these were picked up by pro5, and I am trying to free up some RL time to integrate the BGT fixes, including this one! Several items and .cres have Tutu item, script, and graphics - for a full list of materials (including pro5's solutions) toss on over to G3. I will get my tail in gear and see if I can get a revised Beta out a.s.a.p.!

2. The female commoner just inside baldurs gate (AR7800) talks about the BG1 NPC installation!
Probably other NPCs in the town as well. I found out it's because the BGT installation of BG1NPC
uses dialog source RBALDU.D whereas the Tutu version uses _RBALDU.D. This means that the TP2
AUTO_TRA doesn't pick up a .tra file for it. (same would apply to NPCWAIT.D if this was implemented
in the BGT version.
I added:
USING ~BG1NPC/TRA/%LANGUAGE%/_RBALDU.TRA~
after the line
COMPILE ~BG1NPC/BGT/DLG/RBALDU.D~
in the TP2 file and then reinstalled to fix it.

Awesome catch, and a Homer Simpson moment for me... thank you! I have added the correct line to the master tp2, and will go back through and see if I have missed any more. I am thinking of simply leaving out the "Wait at an Inn" component, which is disabled for BGT as it involves some serious BGT dialogue manipulation (and pro5 and ronin69 have already made the same thing possible by making SCS BGT compatible :) ).

Thank you for posting stuff... it really helps!

Edited by cmorgan, 03 December 2006 - 07:55 PM.

#18 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:20 AM

OK, I split the the v12 stuff from the v11.x stuff to make things clearer.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#19 Sandor Ravenhand

Sandor Ravenhand
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:40 AM

Thank you for posting stuff... it really helps!

You're welcome - I'm really enjoying this. If I come across anything else I'll post it as well. Only other thing I've found so far is a bit nebulous - On one occasion the party went into a house in Beregost, and before could question the resident, Viconia interjected by reciting the entire biography of Skeezer Lumpkin IV (Yes, I've got DSotSC installed as well). I haven't been able to repeat it, and her dialog files seem fine. I'm not even convinced it's a BG1 NPC problem, but it made me laugh!

Maybe Viconia just has a gnome fetish :)

One other thing. Now I've got RBALDU.DLG working I can see that the Chapter numbers are set too early - the dialogs are set to occur after Chapter 5 or Chapter 6 whereas in the original BGT version of the dialog its all chapter 7. I think this is a general point that has already been covered by Pro5 over at G3 tho'

Edited by Sandor Ravenhand, 04 December 2006 - 11:38 AM.

#20 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 02:34 PM

The difficulty with the Skeezer Lumpkin is almost assuredly because I am not pro5 or Ascension64-level in coding! Unfortunately, I have no way of really tackling the difficulties inherent in adding BG1 NPC to a BP install, only to vanilla BGT-WeiDU; my bet is that one of Viconia's interjections drags the wrong state number into play due to DSotSC (and there is probably more where that came from). I think we will be seeing more of these, as the Project is designed to be somewhat random for replayabiluty. Some responses are RandNum and some are straing ITC. I will pass this on to the BGT gurus, and ask for feedback (see, I just did!).

Drow just *love* gnomes; preferably boiled, with a little tartar sauce :D

The chapter nubmers are indeed wrong for BGT, and I am repairing them. This makes a BIG difference in the romances . I will get cracking....

Edited by cmorgan, 04 December 2006 - 02:34 PM.