Do you remember? I do

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:03 AM

Hello, new moderator here and thought I would start something that can be fun and bring back alot of memories. This topic doesn't necessarily need to be for BG1 and BG2 it can be for anything.

I saw a thread like this on another forum at another community and thought it would be fun here. The other thread was updated about 1 time a week and I think we, at SHS, can do better than that.

So, without further adiu, I present you "Do you remeber? I do"

Do you remember when gibberlings were a foe to be reconed with?
Do you remember the first time you used the wand of lightning in a small area and it killed your whole party?
Do you remember the first time your main tank was dire charmed and killed your whole party?

I do

I will keep my post short so other people have an opportunity to post.

viel spass!!!

:D

#2 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 12:48 PM

I do remember the Lightning Wand. About Gibberlings, not really. How about Kobolds. And the tank, didn't kill me, but he was sure annoying.

Do you remember a ten minute duel between you and the Candlekeep assassin because neither of you could hit the other?

Do you remember being so excited when you killed Skie, because you got a MAGIC weapon?

Do you remember that feeling of Satisfaction as you watched the end movie?

Edited by Kael, 10 March 2007 - 12:51 PM.

"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#3 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 01:30 PM

Do you remember...

- the wonder of having party members, like when you let Montaron and Xzar join up?

- that moment (BG1 or BG2) when you realized how funny and crazy Minsc was?

- the first time when a party member, who you had bonded with (like Imoen), died?!!!

- the first time when you first heard Xzar's line (critical hit sound?): Ha-ha-ha, I have become Death, Destroyer of Worlds!

- the wonder of installing your first mod, and looking for the changes it made?

- reading the BG1 load screen hint, 'be sure to use magic weapons as normal ones can break' a hundred times before realizing - DUH!

- when you realized that installing the MegaInstall "nearly automatically" still takes the same amount of time as when you did it manually 3 or 4 years ago??!! :lol: (More mods added, of course.)

Edited by Azazello, 12 March 2007 - 03:15 PM.

"I gladly simp for jastey" -- Aza
==========================================================
"You ever notice that "What the hell?!" is the answer to just about everything?"
==========================================================

"Girls are like phones, they like to be held and talked too, but if you press the wrong button, you will be disconnected!" DJ Nikodemus
================================================================
Community Contributions
* Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * Shar Nadal (DSotSC-BGT) revision * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls * a directory of Mega-Installation Guides *

#4 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:29 PM

Do you remember

- when it used to take you a couple of days of playing just to get out of Chateau Irenicus?

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#5 IronOx

IronOx

Pyongs owns all

• 124 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:48 PM

Aaah, great memories.

Do you remember when Minsc and Edwin started bash each others' brains in for the first time?

Do you remember when Neeber/Noober first approached you?

Do you remember when you first entered the awesome city that is Baldur's Gate?

On all three, I most certainly do. I screamed at the first, laughed at the second and stared at the third.
'The only way to get thru this gate is to go thru me first!' -Tadakatsu

#6 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:59 PM

Uh, yeah. I trashed my installation doing it. How was I supposed to know I wasn't supposed to have the game on at the time?

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods

#7 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:10 PM

Uh, yeah. I trashed my installation doing it. How was I supposed to know I wasn't supposed to have the game on at the time?

:lol: Priceless. Um yeah.

Do you remember watching the intros for the first time.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

#8 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 05:17 PM

Do you remember - the first time you heard Sarevoks voice?

Do you remember - the first time you heard Gorion say "You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt," and how impressed you were?

Do you remember - the endless puzzles of Durlag's Tower, and the endless nights trying to solve them?

Do you remember - feeling sorry for Prism?

Do you remember - the feeling of frustration when being sent to ice prison by Shandalar for the first time?

Do you remember - the feeling of satisfaction when you finally reached the top of The Iron Throne, and beat Cloudwulfe and his cohorts?

I do.

Edited by Grunker, 10 March 2007 - 05:18 PM.

"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#9 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:18 PM

Even more primeval :) :looking for a decent adventure game, finding Baldur's Gate on the remaindered (i.e. cheap) shelf in the local games shop, thinking 'for £10 I can't really go wrong', seeing Candlekeep come up on the screen and getting hit with a sudden

'YES!! This is IT!! I've been waiting for a game like this for YEARS!!!"

And that was it: six years later I'm still caught; hook, line and sinker.

-Y-

Ah! For non-British members; 'hook, line and sinker' is an expression that comes from fishing and means that you (the fish) have taken the bait and are well and truly caught on the fisherman's line.

#10 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 07:09 PM

Though I'm not British I have heard the expression

Do you remember the feeling of satisfaction when you leveled up?

Do you remember wishing this NPC was romanceable? (Some NPCs don't have it yet but...)

Do you remember the first time you beat the game and the immense feeling of pride, satisfaction, and gratitude?

#11 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 07:44 PM

Do you remember - the first time you heard Gorion say "You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt," and how impressed you were?

Ooooooh, yes.

Do you remember the first time you were freaked out by seeing a dragon in BGII (in my case; Firkraag)?

Do you remember getting slaughtered in Chateau Irenicus after installing Tactics for the first time?

Do you remember hearing Irenicus' dialogue with Ellesime in Suldanesselar?
Spoiler

Do you remember reading the ToB epilogues for the first time, and finding out what was going to happen to your party members?

I do.

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#12 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 07:56 PM

-Do you remember when your playing experience in a game with an actual story and combat that required more than just meth-aided reflexes first brought home to you that the cheat-first-ask-questions-later approach you unfortunately absorbed from your professional slacker cousin who, thanks to your parents' almost superstitious bias against television and things resembling a television, was the first to introduce you to post-486 video games, actually did undermine your enjoyment (probably not, actually, but it's a major reason why I tend to disregard the Cleric/Ranger combination as a decent class and prefer not to discuss sizable parts of my initial playing experience)?
-Do you remember first realizing how delightfully effective ranged weapons were?
-Do you remember pounding the desk in incredulous irritation at discovering the 18 STR requirement for BG2 composite bows otherwise identical to the ones your ranger had been using for the entire frickin' first game?
-Do you remember first noticing that the clock didn't advance at all on your voyage to the Isle in the Trackless Sea?
-Do you remember rolling up your first character with maximal key stats, without cheating?
-Do you remember when that flimsy frickin' tagboard packaging of your BG1 cds disintegrated?

*thinks*

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#13 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:49 PM

^^ sweet memories!

#14 Narm

Narm
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:15 PM

Haha, I remember the 1st time a gibberling chase me, I was running the hell out of my life. lol

I die the 1st time. :P
Posted Image

#15 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:26 AM

Awesome thread!

Do you remember...

- the shock you felt after Imoen was first kidnapped?

- wishing you could just shoot Elhan with a crossbow bolt and be done with it?

- being freaked out when Jaheira started pouring her feelings out to you after you'd paid her token kindness?

- wishing you could tell Aerie to just get over it already?

#16 Riviera

Riviera

Silmeria, the elven bard

• 355 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:43 AM

Do you remember...

- Installing TotSC and being excited because, finally, you can see the cows?

- Being amused and/or stunned when a party member (or you) gets hit by lightening out of the blue?

- The first wild surge that dropped a cow on your party? (Mine wiped the entire party out.)

- The first time you saw the dragon cutscene in Cloakwood?

- The first time your PC died, and the 'disintegrating' cutscene played?

I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz,
or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#17 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 01:37 AM

- Did you remember to "Gather your party before venturing forth"

#18 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 04:06 AM

Ooooooh, yes.

Oh my god yes!

-Do you remember when you finally got Baldur's Gate 2 after a looooong wait, and after installing it for the very first time you sat there playing until the morning post came?

-Do you remember the rage when you realized that those weren't the real Gorion and Elminster, but doppelgangers?

-Do you remember when you were trying to get to Friendly Arm Inn with Imoen, and a freaking wolf attacked you, and after getting killed you finally realized that one runs away from the wolf and the other one shoots it with a bow?

-Do you remember when you remembered that moment, when in BG2 your dual-wielder-hack-n-slash-hero chopped a [instert monster here] to ten pieces in one hit?

I sure do.

Edited by Ilmatar, 11 March 2007 - 04:07 AM.

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#19 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 04:09 AM

- Being amused and/or stunned when a party member (or you) gets hit by lightening out of the blue?

I'm still amused by that!

berelinde's mods

#20 MorningGlory

MorningGlory
  • 796 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 04:14 AM

In BG1, the first time you died and you stared at the screen thinking, 'What do I do now???'

Again with the original 5-disk version of BG1, being annoyed that every area seemed to require you to switch out the disk as prompted, then realizing it was lost in the stuff around you because you had failed to put it back the time before?

Also in BG1, the little reminder that appeared between area loads that reminded you to eat as they didn't want to 'lose' any dedicated players?

Remember asking yourself what the heck was the difference between a 'diseased gibberling' and a regular gibberling?

Remember your first Boots of Speed? :D