82 replies to this topic

#21 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 04:18 AM

Remember your first Boots of Speed? :D

So. Cool. :D WHOOOOOSH!

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#22 IronOx

IronOx

Pyongs owns all

• 124 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 07:43 AM

Here's a classic I can't BELIVE has not yet been said on this thread.

Do you remember the first time you've met Tiax in Baldur's Gate?

Do you remember the first time you've met Tiax in Spellhold?
'The only way to get thru this gate is to go thru me first!' -Tadakatsu

#23 Brandon

Brandon
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:00 AM

I can remember when I knew nothing of BG only a short 16 months ago, but I can relate to most of what has been said in this thread having played through the games twice each and many other partial adventures.

I had played D&D in middle and high school but that is where it ended (in 1986). Making time for it was nearly impossible with so many other priorities, BUT the whole time I kept my box of manuals, modules, lead figures and whatnot thinking that someday I will begin playing again.

So, in December of '05 I was talking with a co-worker who had also played D&D, and I said, "Wouldn't it be cool if there was a computer game that could handle all the rolls and stats and actually let you SEE what you are playing?"

(I know TSR put out some computer games way back, but I thought they were really crappy)

He looked at me with an expression which I fully understand now, and said, "Are you kidding me?"

So I log on to Amazon.com and place some orders!

I remember thinking I would have to fight the barkeep at the very start of the game when he is kidding with the protagonist!

#24 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:13 AM

Do you remember wondering what was wrong with Xzar or Minsc?

Do you remember looking everywhere for new cds cause yours no longer worked?

Do you remember waiting to meet more NPCs from BG1, before finally realizing they weren't in the game?
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#25 Lucas

Lucas
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:25 PM

Do you remember getting slaughtered by every above average foe? I do.

I was so young I couldn't even comprehend English completely. (More than 10 years ago, that is.)
One guard was also the victim of my need for a shiny plate mail armor early on back in those days.
Didn't know about reputation yet. -_-

Edited by Lucas, 11 March 2007 - 12:25 PM.

"What is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil"

#26 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:46 PM

Do you remember getting slaughtered by every above average foe? I do.

I was so young I couldn't even comprehend English completely. (More than 10 years ago, that is.)
One guard was also the victim of my need for a shiny plate mail armor early on back in those days.
Didn't know about reputation yet. -_-

I had my dad translating for me, but soon enough it was me, my common sense and a dictionary. It's unbelievable how much my English skills developed because of Baldur's Gate. :D

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#27 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 01:17 PM

@ Ilmatar: And the say computer games never taught anyone anything. =D

Do you remember being *really* impressed with yourself when you killed that ogre in the woods?

Do you remember finding the spiders in the cellar really hard?

Do your remember when you dreamed of the day you could afford a +1 sword for Khalid?

Do you remember when you could cast two spells a day?

How awesome you felt when you first levelled up? xP

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

My adoptables > Your adoptables.

#28 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 01:18 PM

And who said gaming wasn't good for anything?

Do you remember when you first found it that Baldur's Gate(the city) was divided into several maps?
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#29 Lucas

Lucas
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 01:41 PM

That ogre was awesome indeed. :D Running in circles while Immy kites.

And I also believe that because of games like these my English was good enough
to get me through high-school without learning. (Well, I'm in my senior year technically, so still need that paper..)

Do you remember how you thought cursed items were awesome (for laughs)?

I did equip that girdle of gender change to Xzar though. And not by accident.
"What is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil"

#30 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 05:39 PM

Not really...

Does anyone else remember getting chewed out by one or more WIS 3/INT 6/LN-but-thinks-they're-LG types when they went looking for a third party workaround for the disk changing?

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#31 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 01:47 PM

Do you remember taking down the Shadow Dragon for the first time?

And being so delighted that you took a screenshot of it?

And then thinking 'right: now for Firkraag'?

-Y-

#32 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 01:52 PM

And then thinking 'right: now for Firkraag'?

I went for Firkraag first. Didn't even know there was another one... :P

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#33 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 01:59 PM

Do you remember taking down the Shadow Dragon for the first time?

And being so delighted that you took a screenshot of it?

I took it further: I have a screenshot of every dragon in the games after I've killed them (Yes, even the silver one in the Underdark). :D

#34 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 02:29 PM

It's unbelievable how much my English skills developed because of Baldur's Gate.

So true!
"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#35 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:37 PM

Do you remember...

-Discovering that unlike in ADOM and contrary to what the manual says you can't animate an ogre/giant skeleton and that the Animate Dead spell is just a generic monster summoning spell?

-The moment you realized that the detailed description of inns and taverns in manual doesn't reflect the reality of game?

-The first time you edited a .cre file with a hex editor?

-When you downloaded your first modding tools from TBG?

#36 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:38 PM

People still use their CDs?

Go [here], and you won't have to use physical discs every again.

- The first time you saw the dragon cutscene in Cloakwood?

I think that's a wyvern, the one carrying the cow, yes?

- Did you remember to "Gather your party before venturing forth"

I always think this is George Takei (Mr. Sulu)!

#37 Menelanna

Menelanna
  • 3006 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:48 PM

Do you remember how you cried when you first found out two of your beloved companions from BG1 were killed by Irenicus?

Do you remember how it felt the first time you faced a dragon?

How about how it felt when you killed your first dragon?

And how about how it felt when killing dragons was like child's play?

Do you remember how you felt when Bohdi took your lover for the first time?

i could think of more but i will leave it at this for now.
Steel is my body, fire is my blood.
I've created over a thousand blades
Unknown to death.
Nor known to life.
Have withstood pain to create many weapons.
Yet, those hands will never hold anything.
So as i pray, "Unlimited Blade Works."--Archer from Fate/Stay Night

Posted Image
Signature done by Sinharvest. thanks!

Interested in great fanstay Role Play? Come join Imythess the Border Between Dreams and Choas.
(should you join feel free to contact me. my main account it Fara're. hope to see you there :D)

#38 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:02 PM

Do you remember...

-Being pissed off after discovering that BG2 completely ignored your choice of party from BG1, thus killing the continuity of the game and the ignoring choice & consequence feature that is necessary for a good cRPG?

-Discovering that the <CHARNAME> isn't very inteligent regardless of inteligence and that a character with Int of 3 gets the same dialog option as a character with INt of 18?

-Being annoyed, because NPCs complimented looks of Jaheira and other joinable NPCs, completely ignoring the sparkling beauty of <CHARNAME>?

#39 Menelanna

Menelanna
  • 3006 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:13 PM

Do you remember how many times you wanted to deck Anomen during your first run through the game?

Do you remember how many times you still want to deck Anomen?

Do you remember how you wanted to kill Aerie the millionth time she complained?
Steel is my body, fire is my blood.
I've created over a thousand blades
Unknown to death.
Nor known to life.
Have withstood pain to create many weapons.
Yet, those hands will never hold anything.
So as i pray, "Unlimited Blade Works."--Archer from Fate/Stay Night

Posted Image
Signature done by Sinharvest. thanks!

Interested in great fanstay Role Play? Come join Imythess the Border Between Dreams and Choas.
(should you join feel free to contact me. my main account it Fara're. hope to see you there :D)

#40 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:27 PM

Do you remember how you wanted to kill Aerie the millionth time she complained?

If you're asking about the scenario...I didn't play with her enough to hear literally a million. If you're asking about the method, no, I don't remember on a public forum with content guidelines *coughs*

Hmm. And to keep the topic going,

Do you remember the circumstances behind your becoming acquainted with the BG2 modding scene (same answer as under "method" above, actually... O.o)

There must be something innocuous.

Do you remember the first time you found yourself sitting openmouthed in stunned silence at a needless element of game hard-coding?
Do you remember the first time you played through a mod romance where how much more intelligently written it was than the Bioware ones really jumped out at you?
Do you still remember the first time you found yourself blinking at a your-first-language-as-a-second-language modder's grammatical idiosyncrasies?

Edited by Azkyroth, 12 March 2007 - 04:33 PM.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard