• Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

#1 Big Poppa

Big Poppa
  • Modder
  • 242 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:26 PM

Heya all
Just thought I'd post an image of a candlekeep area remake I'm doing.
Obviously it isn't finished and I had to reduce this image to 60% real size and reduced quality to keep this jpg to under 1 meg.
I am very influenced by iwd1 art pallets like kuldahar but the image looks rather different if I screw with the hue of the grass, makes it much brighter like bg1. Dunno which I'll go with yet.
Neway.....

candlekeep.jpg

Quality over quantity baby

BG - A Tale Retold

Facebook, Richard Haines, westmidlands, england

#2 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:34 PM

Oooo! Really neat. Hmmm, one thing though, the fountains appear to be constructed in a fair bit more advanced fashion than the rest of the area.
And the walls look like something that people leap across daily when they can't be bothered with opening a gate. ^^

But yeah, the style is really fancy, I like it. ^^

#3 Big Poppa

Big Poppa
  • Modder
  • 242 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:46 PM

Yeah, the fountains will undergo breakdown and staining etc through photoshop like everything else, they look way to sparkly clean and symetrical right now. The wall is smaller than the original but It's still about twice as tall as the average guy I reckon. Here's a real size part of the wall non reduced to give an idea.candlekeep.jpg

BG - A Tale Retold

#4 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:40 PM

Hey, that's pretty cool. Has kind of an elven or halflingish look to it, with all the vines and different trees and all.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#5 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:45 PM

Wow, nice! :) Did you model that yourself, or is it an amalgamation of bits and pieces from various games?

#6 --Big Poppa--

--Big Poppa--

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:50 PM

Practically everything in there is modelled by myself bar the trees which are speed trees and xfrog models.

#7 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:53 PM

Gorgeous... I really can't wait to see more! :D

#8 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:55 PM

Agreed. :D

Just one question though, Candlekeep, the keep part itself, looks kind of gothic and much older, and like as if its been previously attacked or something atm. Could be just my eyes foolin me, but in case its not, just had to ask anyways y'know?

Keep up the good work Big Poppa. :cheers:

Edit: They say the world will end when one makes 1000 typos.... and its not that far off. <_<

Edited by Solar's Harper, 25 October 2007 - 03:56 PM.

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#9 Big Poppa

Big Poppa
  • Modder
  • 242 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:28 PM

There is no damage to the keep but I did make the texture very dirty with moss and lichen and went overkill with ivy growth. The small inner wall has lumps broken away. The idea was to make it look like the keep came first and maybe the small inner wall was all there once was but due to attack from beasts etc the larger manned wall was put up. Eventually everything in the small inner walls will be dirty and overgrown somewhat to show its possible age where as the huts etc on the outer section could be newer and are less worn.
I doubt thats how candlekeep came about but who cares, I liked the idea hehe

BG - A Tale Retold

#10 Leila

Leila
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:00 PM

Whoa, that looks amazing. For some reason it reminds me of the Secret Garden. Can't wait to see what else is done with it.

#11 --EarthquakeDamage--

--EarthquakeDamage--

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:35 PM

I see no problem with the fountains. They weren't necessarily part of the original construction. They could've been built centuries later for all we know.

#12 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:48 PM

Very nice. But I loved your World Map, as well. :)

#13 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:49 PM

Wow, have to agree with the others. :new_thumbs: It looks amazing.

#14 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:32 PM

This is great :) If I may, what programs do you use for modelling this stuff?
The Mind is its own place and in itself - can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. -John Milton, Paradise lost

#15 Big Poppa

Big Poppa
  • Modder
  • 242 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:38 AM

3d studio max 7 is used for modelling and composing the area. On the rare occasion that a human figure is needed like the old statue in the pond I use poser 4 and then I use photoshop 7 for additional texturing and touching up etc. Usual pro tools of the trade.

I started to add vines to the area to give the aged aspect some more oomph. Alot more to come like this.

vines.jpg

BG - A Tale Retold

#16 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 03:53 AM

Thanksalot Big Poppa ;)

(now I am gonna rummage around and try to find some open source 3DSM equivalent so I can start learning... )

I was also wondering - would you be willing to do area graphics on demand? I have been laying out a mod which would include travelling to an upper plane (arborea or somesuch) and I think that this style would suit it perfectly.
The Mind is its own place and in itself - can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. -John Milton, Paradise lost

#17 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 05:10 AM

Very, very impressive!

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos
Living on Wings of Dreams

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#18 Big Poppa

Big Poppa
  • Modder
  • 242 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:12 AM

I can't really commit to doing areas on demand but I will listen to any requests and if i really like the sound of it then I may make it.If I can't do them I will at least help you out or give tips etc if I'm able to.

Here's just another real sized example of some of the aging and overgrowth going on around to keep. I'm gonna throw some broken monuments and grave stones in around to keep for a real sign of age.
Thx again to all feedback, positive or critical.

agingcloseup.jpg

BG - A Tale Retold

#19 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:28 AM

It is lovely, absolutely lovely - just one thing. While Candlekeep is certainly very old, it is also very well tended to. (Who knows, maybe a certain Bhaalspawn spent their childhood and teens as a garderner? ;) )

But yes. Lovely work.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#20 Big Poppa

Big Poppa
  • Modder
  • 242 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:36 PM

I'll blame it on global warming

BG - A Tale Retold