• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:51 AM

Completely forgot about this topic, but may I direct your attention to HoME - Morgoth's Ring

I guess you missed this:

Meantime I would like to seek everyone's cooperation in starting separate topics regarding tolkienish debates (not least so I can participate in them, lol, but I can't in this topic since I'd prefer to keep the topic on track.)

I've continued this discussion here.

Edit @Zyraen: Balrogs should be tough. It took practically a god (Istari or super high-level elf lord) to bring them down <_<.

Edited by Miloch, 16 January 2008 - 01:53 AM.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#22 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:18 AM

Thank you Miloch :) Couldn't be more Grateful.

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression

#23 Porthas

Porthas
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:03 PM

Completely forgot about this topic, but may I direct your attention to HoME - Morgoth's Ring

I guess you missed this:

Meantime I would like to seek everyone's cooperation in starting separate topics regarding tolkienish debates (not least so I can participate in them, lol, but I can't in this topic since I'd prefer to keep the topic on track.)

I've continued this discussion here.

Edit @Zyraen: Balrogs should be tough. It took practically a god (Istari or super high-level elf lord) to bring them down <_<.

Yes Balrogs should be tough, but balanced with a game design in mind. And they of course should be Rare.
I have a very sexy learning disability.

#24 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:08 PM

Here are some weapons planned to show up in the Silmarillion :) Unlike in BG2, these will be the only +3 items obtainable in the game, and they'll be among the most powerful weapons available to the party. While I have not written out all of the items, the eventual idea is so that there will be a +3 weapon for every single weapon type out there, so no one has to go about reconfiguring their proficiencies with SK.

Note that +3 weapons are not required to do damage to any particular beings, except Morgoth himself. All of these weapons are only obtainable by performing some extra objective after the scenario has been successfully concluded. This MUST be done successfully the FIRST time you play up to that point ; if not the weapon will never be made available ever again, even though the map is replayed.
eg. to obtain Feanor's weapon, after Feanor falls in Battle-Under-the-Stars you have to defeat Gothmog and all his Balrogs before the elven host arrives

For each of the following weapons there are 2 sets of Stats - one before they have been unleashed, one AFTER they have been reforged with the appropriate components, and at their full potential. When they are unleashed, their effects are meant to be moderate AoE effects so as to have a significant impact on the Battlefield.

Note that of these weapons, Ringil, Anglachel, Glamdring, Angrist are canon Tolkein material, though their exact make may not be.
For eg, Ringil should be a Long Sword and Anglachel a bastard sword.
While Sting is an LotR canon weapon, it does not have any notable existence or mention in Silmarillion.

============

First Blade - Katana (req 17 Str)
This fine and peerless blade was created by the greatest of all master smiths of Middle-earth, Feanor the firstborn of Finwe, and greatest prince of all the Noldor. It was said that most other swords were created trying to emulate his skill but only a tiny handful could create such fine weapons.
Feanor himself wielded this sword in ages past, it being one of the few items that he found suitable good enough for his own use. It was first drawn and placed to his brother's Fingolfin's chest prior to his Exile from, and later was spilled much blood in pursuit of Morgoth. It is said that much of its power departed with the demise of Feanor, or that might merely be due to no one else having been of sufficient acumen to use it to the fullest.
- 1d10 +2, 5% Vorpal
- 2d6 +3, +2 Str, 15% Vorpal (-3 Save)
==> 7% Cloak of Fear (if saved gives a -3 Str debuff)

Ringil - Bastard Sword (req 16 Str 14 Dex)
The blade of this bastard sword gives an chill glint to it, and feels icy cold to the touch, and its edge is sharpened almost beyond belief it seems, able to cut through metal as if it were paper.
Ringil was the legendary sword bore by Fingolfin the greatest High King of the Noldor, who coordinated the Siege of Angband for 400 years, and who fought Morgoth alone in mortal combat. It was with Ringil's peerless edge that Fingolfin rode alone through entire legions and armies of seething orcs, a light that pierced the darkness ; it was Ringil that sliced open the body of the Dark God himself, and that forever maimed his foot. Its power might be dimmed for now, but there might be a way to release it, if there was a wielder able to prove his worth in wielding this legendary sword.
- 1d6 +2, 1d3 Ice Damage
- 2d4 +3, +2 Str, 3d4 Ice Damage
==> 7% Chain Frost (similar to Chain Lightning but dealing Ice Damage)

Gurthang the Blacksword - 2handed sword (req 16 Str)
The blade of this two-handed sword seems to absorb all the light from around it, a sinister feeling given all around, as its runes seem to send darkness flowing about its sharp and shadowed edges. Pale fire appears to shine along its edges, giving it a fearsome appearance.
The sword Anglachel was forged by the dark elf Eol, and then given to the Beleg Curthalion, renowned and famed Ranger-Captain of Doriath, it served him well for centuries until he went to rescue Turin his friend from the Orcs in lands shadowed by darkness. Awakening from his thralldom to find his bonds freed and a figure with a naked blade towering over him, Turin slew Beleg using this sword, and it snapped with the death of its owner.
It was renamed to Gurthang when it was reforged in Nargothrond by the great elven smiths of that city, and Turin wielded it in battle against Glaurung Father of Dragons and the hosts of orcs he led against the city. Although Nargothrond was destroyed, some years later Turin eventually slew Glaurung by the edge of Anglachel, but by this dark blade his life was also ended.
- 1d10 +2, 10% does 6 poison & 20 poison over 10 secs, 4% (out of this 10%) does 3 poison & 10 poison over 5 secs to user
- 1d10 +3, disables all of target's Regeneration for next 10 rounds, 30% does 6 poison & 20 poison over 10 secs, 4% (out of this 10%) does 3 poison & 10 poison over 5 secs to user
==> 7% poison cloud, does 1d10 damage per second over 15 seconds to everyone in the area. does not turn friendly allies hostile even when they're damaged by the cloud.

Gothmog's Axe (req 18 Str)
This huge double-bladed black axe is huge and burns with a diabolical touch it, as if gifted with infernal flames from within, and only the strongest warriors may wield this to any effective degree.
This axe was borne by the greatest of all Balrogs, Gothmog Lord of Balrogs, High Captain of Angband. By this huge and fearsome axe he cleaved open the helm of Feanor the greatest High Elf of all, creator of Silmarils ; with the edge of this weapon he ended the hope of all Beleriand by slaying Fingon firstborn of Fingolfin, then High King of the Elves.
- 1d8 +2, 1d3 Fire damage, 4% Vorpal
- 2d5 +3, 2d5 Fire damage, +2 Str, 12% Vorpal (-3 Save)
==> 7% Chain Scorcher (Aganazzar's Scorcher chained link with slow effect on all affected)

Glamdring - Long Sword
This sword looks fairly ordinary, with a good keen edge and a
soft gleam to it. However, this blade shines somewhat when in the presence of orcish enemies, and its finely crafted edge, forged by the mastersmiths of Gondolin, is able to part stone as if it were butter.
Glamdring was the sword carried by Turgon second son of Fingolfin, later on High King of the Noldor after Fingon his brother fell. Its power is said to occasionally explode in searing blasts of light that tend to disorientate and stun those afflicted by it.
- 1d8 +2, 5% Stun 1 round
- 1d8 +3, 15% Stun 1 round (-3 Save)
==> 7% AoE Stun 1 round (-2 Save)

(note that Glamdring is also the same sword used ages after the Silmarillion, wielded by Gandalf the Grey)

Whisperwind - Scimitar
This scimitar shines easily in any form of light, and moving the blade even by a little makes the light reflected on it appear to dance to and fro, the form appearing to dart here and there considerably.
Egalmoth, house captain of Gondolin, once bore this blade, and it is the only known curved sword to be wielded by any among the Noldor. It is said to quicken in the bearer's hand while in the heat of battle, and its weight and build lends itself greatly to dual wielding.
- 1d8 +2, +3 Thac0 to offhand
- 1d8 +2, +3 Thac0 to offhand, 50% chance of improved Haste
==> 7% AoE Improved Haste

Sting - Short Sword
This short sword appears ordinary, but well tempered with a broad blade for its length. Testing its edge would find it well crafted and tolerable in combat. It glows in the presence of enemies as well.
Sting was forged by the elves of Gondolin for use against the orcs prior to the Battle of Unnumbered Tears. The blade and its unnamed bearer was lost after the battle as Turgon was fleeing back to Gondolin in the wake of his brother's death and the routing of the Sons of Feanor. Used in the right hands, it is said to give out flashes of light that may temporarily blind the enemy.
- 1d6 +2, 5% Blind
- 1d6 +3, 15% Blind (-3 Save)
==> 7% AoE Blind (-2 Save)

Angrist - Dagger
This dagger has a fine keen edge to it, and is incredibly swift and light to use. Its tip is peerless and so strong it can practically pierce through the strongest of metals.
Angrist was forged by Telchar of Nogrod, greatest of all the dwarven smiths and arguably the second greatest smith in all of Middle-Earth next to Feanor son of Finwe. It was given to Curufin of the Sons of Feanor in recognition for his skills at craftsmanship, and passed on to Beren when Curufin was defeated by him. The knife went on to be used for cutting the Silmaril out of the crown of Morgoth, the only Silmaril ever to be retrieved from the crown of Morgoth prior to the end of the First Age.
- 1d4 +2, +1 attack
- 2d3 +3, +1 attack, +1 Backstab Modifier
==> 7% AoE +1 attack to allies

Edited by Zyraen, 22 January 2008 - 12:03 AM.

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...

#25 wonnimchunha

wonnimchunha
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:36 PM

Some thoughts concerning the weapons:

Anglachel the Black was reforged into Gurthang, Iron of Death (Anglachel was the former name, not the latter)
When it was reforged, the black sword also got some cosmetic changes
'and though ever black its edges shone with pale fire'

I think Sting would be better off as a Dagger, not Short Sword
The first passage describing Sting is 'Bilbo took a knife in a leather sheath. It would have made only a tiny pocket-knife for a troll, but it was as good as a short sword for the hobbit.' which implies that it is actually a dagger that looks like a short sword when wielded by the small hobbit.

Also, methinks if Glamdring is in the game, it's twin Orcrist should also make an appearance ;)

#26 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:01 AM

Thanks for the note :) revising.
I need to dig out Silmarillion asap...

About Sting and Orcrist, I'll have to think about it. I still want to adhere strictly to exactly ONE +3 Weapon per type (hence the decision to alter Ringil and Feanor's Sword and Anglachel)

Edited by Zyraen, 22 January 2008 - 12:05 AM.

#27 --Mike--

--Mike--

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:00 PM

I see nothing wrong with a mod where you can actually use your high level geared players after playing through the entire series and reach the level cap. Personally id like to see a mod continuing the level progression.

I hate playing mods where its designed for a low level character when i really want to play the character i spent years leveling! I say try something new and make a level 38+ mod.

But hey maybe thats just me idk. You can make high level monsters to fight high level characters and the game will still be balanced.

#28 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 06:30 PM

The Battlefield Mod was an exercise in developing a scale-able enemy system. FYI in Silmarillion and possibly for updates of Battlefield, normal troops will have range from level 8 to level 38.

Level 8-12 is Tier 1, functions normally
Level 14-20 is Tier 2, uses Kit Abilities
Level 23-38 is Tier 3, uses HLAs

Now there's special creatures like special Elven Lords, eg Feanor, Fingolfin, or special Squads like Werewolves and Balrogs and stuff. Given that normal troops have such abilities, I have already decided that these special units and characters will also use the basic Fighter Kit Abilities / HLAs. The combination should be potent, to say the least :)

Commanders of normal squads will sometimes be of either Mage, Cleric, or Mage/Cleric bent. That means apart from using Fighter HLAs and being able to fight normally, they will also use Arcane and/or Divine spells, including HLAs, and with number of uses based on a standard player's spellbook. The mix should be rather deadly, I think, to have Dragons Breath, or Comet used against your party, or even Planetar Summons.

#29 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:19 PM

Zyraen, you're going to create a legendary game! I wish you all the best, hope you will manage to complete your work and give birth to the ultimate mod! :new_thumbs:

If you want to alter reality, you must first escape from it.

My Deviant Art account

#30 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:15 AM

Well with the game engine entering its final stages, its time to ask for help for any who have Interest in the following :)

1) Dialogue for NPCs - especially for PC Romances. You can specify your favourite NPCs.
2) Map Creation / Sourcing - Creating or Sourcing for Suitable Maps for use in the Silmarillion
3) Balance Comments - those with a good understanding of BG2 mechanics. The most ideal type is not the sort who breezes through Ascension on Insane ^^;; ideally would be those who enjoy playing through BG2 on Hard or Insane (unmodded) without using Cheesy tactics most of the time. Those who play on such difficulties without Reloading would be much appreciated.

Genuine Interest is more important than Skill btw :) So please feel free to PM me if you have interest in ANY of the above.
Please provide me your MSN information as that is where I usually am able to bounce more ideas and get an understanding as to your core Interests and Strengths :) Thanks!

#31 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:19 AM

Could a Moderator move this topic to the Silmarillion Forum for Archiving ? :) Thanks!

#32 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:09 AM

Done. :)

#33 Stnemele

Stnemele

The Writer that Helps You Write

• 162 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:44 PM

This mod looks SO amazing! It made me giddy with joy, for I can't stand the other Lord of the Rings games because the Trilogy is way too overdone. This also gives me an excuse to read the Silmarillion and buy tons of books :D I will be keeping an eye on everything that goes on.

Good luck!
"I've had better conversations with cheese."
--Michael Keaton, "Dream Team"

"I love love-triangles! ... Or squares. Hexagons. Trapezoids. Circles with tangent lines... Geometry aside, where are we?"
-- Cassandra Mewborn, a dead character

#34 -Elae'm-

-Elae'm-

Posted 18 September 2010 - 06:34 AM

GO ! GO ! GO ! All fans of both silmarillion and BG are with you ! I can't mod myself, I wud have helped you, but be sure that I'm expecting the first release of a full Tolkien conversion ! Keep it up !

#35 slavtja

slavtja
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:40 AM

Come on, don't give up!!!

#36 -Xaras-

-Xaras-

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

When it will be done?

#37 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:54 PM

I'm afraid the mod is not currently progressing much due to RL constraints. Occasionally I write for it, but that's about it

#38 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:16 AM

Just wondering, is there anyone who wants this mod to move ahead?
With some luck I might have a tad more time for modding in the coming months :)

#39 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:37 AM

Just wondering, is there anyone who wants this mod to move ahead?
With some luck I might have a tad more time for modding in the coming months :)

This mod absolutely must go live! It just might be the finest mod idea ever :) So, there's one enthusiastic vote in favor.

Best wishes,
Eric

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#40 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:47 AM

I'd certainly be interested :) Best of luck!