Photo

Strange crashes and CTD

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:36 PM

I'm playing through BG1 (with BGT) on my mega install. Most things have gone fine, however had some strange things.

1)Edwin just disappeared from the bridge in Nashkel without ever talking to him. This was after I had Minsc and Dynaheir joined then sent to Beregost. Did a detect alignment and it said he was there. So after searching everywhere cluaed him in. He would appear and disappear in a second or two. On the 4th try paused, talked, and then he joined up.

2)CTD on entering Firewine ruins (x4025/y1995). Tried several times. (it's not the DSOTSC new firewine ruins, erebusant straightened me out there)

3)CTD when confront the "old man" in the building next to the lighthouse in the Lure of the Sirine call quest. He does his conversation, calls for help, disappears and then CTD. Sometimes my whole party goes with him leaving an empty room then a CTD.

I wonder if these problems are related to my partial reinstall. Basically after messing up install I put in a backup (override, dialog.tlk, etc.) from after the big mods and BGT, then finished the other half of install. Had to put in BGmain.exe from earlier install because I forgot to put it in my backup.

Attached File  WeiDU.log   34.28K   221 downloads

#2 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 11:04 PM

I'm playing through BG1 (with BGT) on my mega install. Most things have gone fine, however had some strange things.

1)Edwin just disappeared from the bridge in Nashkel without ever talking to him. This was after I had Minsc and Dynaheir joined then sent to Beregost. Did a detect alignment and it said he was there. So after searching everywhere cluaed him in. He would appear and disappear in a second or two. On the 4th try paused, talked, and then he joined up.

2)CTD on entering Firewine ruins (x4025/y1995). Tried several times. (it's not the DSOTSC new firewine ruins, erebusant straightened me out there) See if you can CLUAConsole to AR3401. You may be missing of of you area files.

3)CTD when confront the "old man" in the building next to the lighthouse in the Lure of the Sirine call quest. He does his conversation, calls for help, disappears and then CTD. Sometimes my whole party goes with him leaving an empty room then a CTD. Copy J#PIRAT4.CRE from your SirinesCall/Creature folder into your override, overwriting the existing file if it's there. This is the 1 instance I know of so far that Nythrun's CRE/ITM/SPL patcher actually unfixes a file that was good before when it re-orders the effects.

I wonder if these problems are related to my partial reinstall. Basically after messing up install I put in a backup (override, dialog.tlk, etc.) from after the big mods and BGT, then finished the other half of install. Had to put in BGmain.exe from earlier install because I forgot to put it in my backup.

Attached File  WeiDU.log   34.28K   221 downloads

Edited by erebusant, 16 February 2008 - 11:05 PM.

It takes a village...

#3 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 01:24 AM

Thanks again E, the "old man" and his cronies attack normally now.

However, the Firewine Ruins (AR3401) crashes when I clua there.

#4 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:17 AM

Thanks again E, the "old man" and his cronies attack normally now.

However, the Firewine Ruins (AR3401) crashes when I clua there.

When during loading the area does your game crash? Is it immediately, about 1/3 or the way thru the load, or about 2/3's of the way thru loading? Also, verify you have AR3401.ARE, AR3401.WED, AR3401HT.BMP, AR3401LM.BMP, AR3401SR.BMP & AR3401.MOS in your game. If they're there then make sure they are all in your override, and not biffed in some huge bif somewhere. You can either "save" each file, or select "export" and save them to your override directory if they aren't there.

Edited by erebusant, 17 February 2008 - 08:18 AM.

It takes a village...

#5 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:32 AM

When I enter the door it saves game, then loading bar fill up once, then starts again and stops about halfway.

Only AR3401.are is in the override. I suppose the rest are biffed. Just downloaded DLTCP again, not sure if I need NI instead.

DLTCP gives options to save or export. NI gives an option to export. Which one again? Also I thought there was an option on one of em to hit preview which then put all the files in the override. Its been a while since I used these...

#6 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:27 PM

Ended up using NI, finding files and putting all in override. Still a ctd though.

On a side note there is something beneficial in my install - Safana can cast any spell from a scroll. Never dual classed her either. I just discovered this when picking up loot. Heh. :D

Edited by maximus2001, 17 February 2008 - 12:30 PM.

#7 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:11 PM

Edwin bolts if you kick out Minsc and Dynaheir after she is rescued. I think it is in his script or that area script. If you have both of them he will join and keep an eye on her. After that kicking out and rejoining seems OK.

mm75 had an issue with the Lure of the S... mod and he speculated that nythrunfix maybe interfered? Maybe the same I dunno. I didn't do the nythrun stuff, I think it is beyond me at this point.
Good Luck maximus2001! Good to see you again!

Addendum: May be related?

Update with some (critical bugs):

- Sirine & Pirates Quest (Sirinescall): CTD when trying to join Sirine's cause and being attacked by "old man" and his pirates. It seems Nithrum fixes did change something wrong within j#pirat4.cre. U need to drop that file to override folder from Sirinescall folder (thanks to Erebusant!)
- Jaheira Quest from BG1 NPC Project. I'm still not sure what the cause could be (my gut feeling is Level 1 NPC mod or something related to the kit i've assigned to Jaheira: Improved BeastMaster Mod). The Quest never starts because Jaheira has been assigned a different script, the correct one is BGJahei.bcs.

Now, after Jaheira's quest, i'm suffering of another Stutter Bug in the Wyvern area ... i still have to test and see if that's the only area or now it's a permanent stutter bug just after Jaheira's quest has been completed.

mm75

Edited by Hoppy, 19 February 2008 - 06:07 AM.

?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#8 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:45 AM

Yep it's the same issue regarding Sirine's Call (maximus has the nithrum code installed in his game)...

If your area doesn't load completely then some resources are missing. U can check in NI the area and see for example if some cre files for that area are missing,

mm75

Tired of the same boring spawned creatures u face in BG? Try BGSpawn

#9 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:24 AM

Thank you Hoppy and MM. Good to be back. I resolved the Sirines call problem now. New problem, I'm in CH5 after clearing Bandit camp and reporting to Lt. Vai in Beregost, and reading two letters from the camp. Only the 1st cloakwood area shows up. I can't reach any of the other maps in cloakwood. Tried adding Coran to party but no luck, nothing on map is revealed. Only thing relating to this is the BG1 npc component - reveal cloakwood lodge so you can get Coran.

Edited by maximus2001, 22 February 2008 - 06:00 PM.

#10 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:23 PM

Ok, played a little further and found a few more things.

1)Cloakwood areas were revealed normally after I clua'd to the second cloakwood map.

2)All thieves (Safana, Coran, Imoen, etc.) can somehow use scrolls (not other wizard items - rings, staff, etc. that are mage only) Comes in handy but its a strange error.

3)Seniyad's druids did not attack even if their boss was attacked (stayed blue).

4)Sisters a Little (in Beregost tavern), only half go hostile. Ended up killing em while blue. Also something funny - their summons cast silence on them. Very helpful. ;)

5)In DSOTSC map (Jets quest), couldn't leave the 3rd map DSC004 (forest of forgotten souls) - all destinations were unreachable. Ended up cluaing to second map DSC002 and then could leave normally.

6)Kick started Shar-teel romance by using SetGlobal("X#ShMale","Global",1) because nothing was happening (7rep/1860st). She had one LT, then nothing. Flirttalks once in a while, and I can talk to her whenever. But, she does not continue LT anymore even in forest, wilderness, when resting. I saw erebusant had this problem and wondered if I missed a global.

7)Melkor mentioned the missing files for Firewine area. Is that something that can be repaired with NI?

#11 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:58 PM

BGT-WeiDU feature. If you rescue Minsc and Dynaheir and drop Dynaheir from the party, Edwin won't appear. This is only because he will try to give you the quest to go to the Gnoll Stronghold again, and he has no fallback dialogue.

He will appear if you pick up Dynaheir, and will be there even if Dynaheir is dead.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#12 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:00 AM

Ok, after a complete computer meltdown I had to reinstall winxp and the whole mega all over again. Some issues are resolved with a new install, some new ones appear.

1)There is the Firewine ruins ctd again. I used NI to take all the actors/creatures (seventeen of them)for the area and saved/exported to the override. I also put AR3401.wed, the three AR3401 bmps, and the AR3401.mos in the override. Still get the ctd, very frustrating. I'm trying to get in there to pick up Indira npc, though I suppose she could be clua'd in.

2)Bottomless bags of holding don't work (they fill after 100 items). Definitely installed it from BG2tweaks. Maybe the Nythrun fix "re-fixed" them back to original? Is it possible to install another "no bottom" patch without ruining the install?

3)Shar-teel joined the party at rep 12, then kicked Viconia out - rep up to 14. Shar immediately gets pissed, leaves party complaining about good deeds, goes blue circle and attacks pc. Wtf? Wasn't planning on keeping her but it was strange.

4)Some of the npc that are supposed to go to an inn - just leave. Viconia, Khalid, Jaheira, all booked off with a speech. Still trying to find out if they are gone for good. Edwin, Xzar, and Monty all were normal. (You kick em out, then talk to them again to send to inn)

I had to use the end biff again to make the whole mega playable, but wondering if that's really the culprit after all. Cheers.

Attached File  WeiDU.log   34.66K   140 downloads

#13 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:12 PM

Ok, after a complete computer meltdown I had to reinstall winxp and the whole mega all over again. Some issues are resolved with a new install, some new ones appear.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeit... that blows.

1)There is the Firewine ruins ctd again. I used NI to take all the actors/creatures (seventeen of them)for the area and saved/exported to the override. I also put AR3401.wed, the three AR3401 bmps, and the AR3401.mos in the override. Still get the ctd, very frustrating. I'm trying to get in there to pick up Indira npc, though I suppose she could be clua'd in.

Were you using that internal BG1 NPC v15 test-thing in both your weidu's? Never had that crash in my game. Can you CLUA there? If not than there is a way that you might be able to repair it with DLTCEP. I have done a lot of ingame fixing via that route.

2)Bottomless bags of holding don't work (they fill after 100 items). Definitely installed it from BG2tweaks. Maybe the Nythrun fix "re-fixed" them back to original? Is it possible to install another "no bottom" patch without ruining the install?

Yep I remember they are different in Bg1 than BG2. Maybe the Bags of the Swordcoast has different sets of bags that are not patched by Tweaks.

3)Shar-teel joined the party at rep 12, then kicked Viconia out - rep up to 14. Shar immediately gets pissed, leaves party complaining about good deeds, goes blue circle and attacks pc. Wtf? Wasn't planning on keeping her but it was strange

Yep, I documented these in my report too. Shar bolts greater than 12 and may fight depending on gender, alignment. Viconia stays only at a whopping 6.

4)Some of the npc that are supposed to go to an inn - just leave. Viconia, Khalid, Jaheira, all booked off with a speech. Still trying to find out if they are gone for good. Edwin, Xzar, and Monty all were normal. (You kick em out, then talk to them again to send to inn)

Jaheira/Khalid will auto pilot back to Friendly Arm. I think if you split them, then you can redirect them. Viccy leaves unless you're a bad boy or girl (see aboe)

I had to use the end biff again to make the whole mega playable, but wondering if that's really the culprit after all. Cheers.

Not sure, but think of having that giant Baldur.BCS and its checks constantly running in your override.

I think the BG1 NPC has those Happiness LT/GT checks and Bigmoshi had some workarounds for v14. I didn't mess with it for roleplaying and not to take away from original game/mod actions.

Edited by Hoppy, 29 March 2008 - 12:14 PM.

?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#14 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:18 PM

Just to comment on the log, it looks like a fun game. Enjoy that 26b version of the Planar Sphere mod! It has been updated to 26c but I think you should be fine.

- King Diamond

#15 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:52 PM

Thanks Hoppy. The computer just wigged out last sunday, restarted with only a black and white screen with a blinking underline in the top left corner. Someone told me it was maybe a boot virus...agghhh.

I didn't see that you had mentioned those evil npcs going nuts, but thats good that we all have it.

The bags filling up is very annoying but not as bad as that ctd in the Firewine Ruins, and later I'm sure in the Citadel (nsotsc)like last time. Although I do have a "no bottoms patch" from years ago and not sure if its weidu or not.

I had just finished the whole mega install, and the next day Planar sphere v26c comes out. <_< But thanks for testing/fixing that old chestnut!

You are absolutely right about the bcs - man do I remember that.. Between that and the override the pc and game hardly moved, really.

Just guessing but what if the area/creatures are corrupted here (though they seem to work fine for everyone else). When I look in dltcep can't see anything broken.

#16 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:10 PM

Then you might have a BCS error there. Consider yourself blessed. I just hosed my whole game :wall:

Edited by Hoppy, 29 March 2008 - 04:15 PM.

- King Diamond

#17 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:11 PM

Then you might have a BCS error there. Consider yourself blessed. I just hosed my whole game :wall:

I'd send you my backup files because our installs are practically the same, but the data one alone is 10 gig. By the time I sent it to you it would probably be quicker to reinstall, aggh. Hopefully you made some backups...

I did manage to find the culprit for the Firewine Ruins ctd. I clua'd every creature no problem until the Indira npc which caused the crash. Following Melkor's thread about fixing things, I put the 3 Indira.cre's back in the override. Not sure what caused the problem in the first place, but that worked. However she is now kind of useless because the strings are messed up! Everytime she speaks its messed up, as is her name in the inventory page, and when you speak to her. :angry:

Also I was getting the CTD error with the blue screen and "BG media error, please insert CD1" in a few places - wood of sharp teeth 3 (nsotsc) and approaching the forest dragon (dsotsc). The 1st went away on reload. The dragon had to be fixed by putting in the "DSFORDRG.cre" from the dsotsc folder.

I'm wondering if the Nythrun fix might have caused this and if there is a way to fix the Indira npc.

#18 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 04:36 AM

I did manage to find the culprit for the Firewine Ruins ctd. I clua'd every creature no problem until the Indira npc which caused the crash. Following Melkor's thread about fixing things, I put the 3 Indira.cre's back in the override. Not sure what caused the problem in the first place, but that worked. However she is now kind of useless because the strings are messed up! Everytime she speaks its messed up, as is her name in the inventory page, and when you speak to her. :angry:

Which version of "Indira BGT" you used?

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#19 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:02 AM

Hi Leomar, I've got IndiraNPC_v10_3_BGT.rar that I got from the BigWorld link page. (That is great by the way - saved me tons of time searching for old mods)

I checked the files again. The biffed files and the ones in my pre-biff file(overend file) caused a ctd, the ones from the Indira folder were good. It is strange that something in install messed with her files.

#20 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:03 AM

Hi Leomar, I've got IndiraNPC_v10_3_BGT.rar that I got from the BigWorld link page. (That is great by the way - saved me tons of time searching for old mods)

Thanks. By the way it has needed much time to made the link-page.

I checked the files again. The biffed files and the ones in my pre-biff file(overend file) caused a ctd, the ones from the Indira folder were good. It is strange that something in install messed with her files.

We will pay attention to this.

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World