Photo

Stuff of the Magi

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#41 Rastamage

Rastamage
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:47 PM

Oooh, I can just picture: If you have all of the items equipped the (now lich) mage appears to fight you for them! Make it so it only fights outdoors (no exploding ribald's store) and only if player level is 25ish...

He could just drop some scrolls as items for when he gets killed.

That could work. Make him a baelnorn (elven lich) that is chaotic good in alignment? He's not really evil, just miffed to the point of attacking that someone has his phat lewt? How's this for an idea: make the battle occur in the pocket plane only. Players usually consider that to be a safe place to rest (I know I always have). It could be a nifty surprise when recuperating after a big battle. Then just include a warning in the readme saying to have multiple saves so the "little surprise" doesn't ruin a lot of hours of game play?

Edited by Rastamage, 03 June 2008 - 03:48 PM.

#42 kevmus

kevmus
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:49 PM

Oooh, I can just picture: If you have all of the items equipped the (now lich) mage appears to fight you for them! Make it so it only fights outdoors (no exploding ribald's store) and only if player level is 25ish...

He could just drop some scrolls as items for when he gets killed.

That could work. Make him a baelnorn (elven lich) that is chaotic good in alignment? He's not really evil, just miffed to the point of attacking that someone has his phat lewt? How's this for an idea: make the battle occur in the pocket plane only. Players usually consider that to be a safe place to rest (I know I always have). It could be a nifty surprise when recuperating after a big battle. Then just include a warning in the readme saying to have multiple saves so the "little surprise" doesn't ruin a lot of hours of game play?

That'd be AWESOME!

I can just imagine the dialogue:

Baelnorn: I come for my equipment!
Cespenar: Ooh, master never told me about these shiny ones!
Baelnorn: Shut up, infernal imp!
:P

#43 Rastamage

Rastamage
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:59 PM

I like it. But then when you include Cespenar I had too ( I <3 that imp). I'd be happy to work on some of the texts and dialogues in whatever way you want. But if you want to do the work yourself and "own" the new version of Stuff of the Magi that's fine too. However you prefer. I'm still giddy I'm getting a non-cheap version in Weidu, lol!

My only suggestion is that for including a powerful fight for gear after equipping all of said gear on the highest level monsters in the game maybe the baelnorn should carry a complement of the most useful high level scrolls such as Spellstrike, Absolute Immunity, or Time Stop (maybe in a scroll case to boot)? A player using this mod is likely to have two mages in the party: the PC and Imoen. Using that as a base line it could be hard to get some of the high level spells in a quantity of two (or more if they have Aerie, Jan, or Edwin). Make it a mage-heavy friendly mod.

#44 kevmus

kevmus
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:04 PM

I like it. But then when you include Cespenar I had too ( I <3 that imp). I'd be happy to work on some of the texts and dialogues in whatever way you want. But if you want to do the work yourself and "own" the new version of Stuff of the Magi that's fine too. However you prefer. I'm still giddy I'm getting a non-cheap version in Weidu, lol!

My only suggestion is that for including a powerful fight for gear after equipping all of said gear on the highest level monsters in the game maybe the baelnorn should carry a complement of the most useful high level scrolls such as Spellstrike, Absolute Immunity, or Time Stop (maybe in a scroll case to boot)? A player using this mod is likely to have two mages in the party: the PC and Imoen. Using that as a base line it could be hard to get some of the high level spells in a quantity of two (or more if they have Aerie, Jan, or Edwin). Make it a mage-heavy friendly mod.

Yeah, I would love to have you help with the dialogues, as I am horrible in creative writing. :P
And yes, the tough mage fight should have some of the best 7th 8th and 9th level scrolls on him, plus a scroll case too. (Is it possible to put the scrolls INSIDE the case? That'd rock.) [It should be, as the bags you get at beginning of tob have items inside...]

Just to make it tough we can have him equip an extra set of (undroppable) stuff of the magi. The player doesn't have to know it's the same stuff he has, and it would balance the mod out a bit.

Edited by kevmus, 03 June 2008 - 04:05 PM.

#45 Rastamage

Rastamage
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:12 PM

Yeah, I would love to have you help with the dialogues, as I am horrible in creative writing. :P
And yes, the tough mage fight should have some of the best 7th 8th and 9th level scrolls on him, plus a scroll case too. (Is it possible to put the scrolls INSIDE the case? That'd rock.) [It should be, as the bags you get at beginning of tob have items inside...]

Just to make it tough we can have him equip an extra set of (undroppable) stuff of the magi. The player doesn't have to know it's the same stuff he has, and it would balance the mod out a bit.

Okay. I'll pitch in with dialogue and item text. I'll put down my Tutu game and see what I can come up with in the next hour and a half before I have to head out for the night. Hopefully that'll be enough time for me to get it done.

I've never written dialogue before so bear with me as I muddle through it. I'll do the item text first to get it out of the way. It sounds easier too so I can "warm up" with that.

I have no idea on coding but in the Tutu game I'm finishing now I received a Bag of Holding as a reward for one of the assassination attempts. To my chagrin, after I started to use it, I found it had been stuffed with tons and tons of magic items! So it's definitely possible. I'll go back through this thread, copy/paste all the item text there is, and make a new post for all the items' text.

#46 Rastamage

Rastamage
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:22 PM

I culled the item text info and am starting on the descriptions now. However, I want to refer to each item's abilities some in the same flavor as what the original author did. So, with that in mind, could you please post a new list of what you are having each item do? I am a little confused on the finalization of each item with the banter back and forth and the edits of posts.

EDIT: Oh... I haven't played the BG games in a few years. If you know off the top of your head the general order the items will be acquired in that may help me in adding flavor to the descriptions. If you could include which mob has which item that may help too.

EDIT2: Also, could you please make sure the Boots of the Magi have the same speed boost as the Boots of Speed? That's a feature I request strongly.

Edited by Rastamage, 03 June 2008 - 04:25 PM.

#47 kevmus

kevmus
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:45 PM

I culled the item text info and am starting on the descriptions now. However, I want to refer to each item's abilities some in the same flavor as what the original author did. So, with that in mind, could you please post a new list of what you are having each item do? I am a little confused on the finalization of each item with the banter back and forth and the edits of posts.

EDIT: Oh... I haven't played the BG games in a few years. If you know off the top of your head the general order the items will be acquired in that may help me in adding flavor to the descriptions. If you could include which mob has which item that may help too.

EDIT2: Also, could you please make sure the Boots of the Magi have the same speed boost as the Boots of Speed? That's a feature I request strongly.

Don't worry about the speed boost, they have the same. I want that feature for my games too :P

Items are located on: (and approximately in this order)
Firkie, Vongoethe, Kangaxx, Twisted Rune, Ardulace and Demogorgon are all unnecessary bosses, which means someone who doesn't enter the twisted rune might never get the staff.

Bracers: Firkraag (windspear hills)
Staff: Mage in Twisted Rune (bridge district)
Boots: Kangaxx (bridge district)
Belt: Matron Mother Ardulace (underdark)
Amulet: Demogorgon (watchers keep)
Robe: Vongoethe (amkethran)
Helmet: Sendai (sendai's enclave)

Edit1: Hmm, do you think we should make the robe and helmet come earlier in the game?
Maybe Tolgerias for one of them, I don't know... Are there any other strong mages?

Edit2: I'll get started on the creature file for the mage, using Mr. Vongoethe as a reference.

Edited by kevmus, 03 June 2008 - 05:09 PM.

#48 Rastamage

Rastamage
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:11 PM

I fiddled around with some dialogue while you compiled all that data for me. Here's what I cobbled together:

Erevain Beraskána: Foolish mortal, how dare you seek to claim my magical accoutrements!? Two hundred years ago I, Erevain Beraskána, completed my work of crafting these items that are worthy of any archmage. Doing so allowed me to become a baelnorn without the need for a phylactery. I cannot let an impertinent one with a tainted bloodline such as yourself wear them now. Give them over lest you face your doom!

Cespenar: Ooh, Master never told me about these shiny ones! Master has a new set of shinies? Now why didn't Master tell Cespenar so Cespenar could check his recipes?

Charname: 1. Tainted bloodline? This from a member of the undead? Well, Erevain, you can see yourself away from my pocket plane and back to whatever little hidey hole you crawled out of.
Charname: 2. I see, oh noble baelnorn. Of course I will return your treasures to you. Here, take them and return from whence you came.
Charname: 3. Thanks for visiting my pocket plane. I'll be sure to search your corpse for more treasure to add to my growing collection!

If Charname 1 then:
Imoen: You've got a lot of nerve pointing out a Bhaalspawn's tainted bloodline when you willingly became undead! I'm with you, Charname!
Aerie: I'm not so sure of this. I know I was raised by gnomes but I think baelnorns are actually good. Are you sure you want to provoke him, Charname?
Jaheira: The undead are an abomination of Nature. Truly, whether this creature is good or evil Balance will be served by its destruction.
Edwin: That's the spirit, Charname! Let us show this lich what for! (For surely you simians are destined to pass these items on to me.)
Erevain Beraskána: Bah! How little you younglings know, 'tis true. I give you one last chance to return my belongings. Will you part with the paraphernalia of this archmage or must we do battle?
Charname: 1. I am on a quest to end the strife of the Bhaalspawn. You should have passed on to your final resting place, Erevain. If you still claim the gear of your mortal lifetime you must take it by force. {Queue battle}
Charname: 2. Noble spirit, I did not know that you were still inhabiting Faerűn. Since you proclaim need yourself, I gladly return your belongings. Fare thee well, Archmage. {Items removed from inventory. Quest experience gained (but how much?)}

If Charname 2 then:
Erevain Beraskána: It is good to see the work of my lifetime restored to me. Here, take these scrolls. May they serve you well. {Add scrolls and scroll box to inventory. Quest experience gained (but how much?)}
Imoen: Whoa. I don't know if I could have done that, Charname. That Stuff of the Magi sure was potent! It may be a remnant of my rapscallion days back at Candlekeep but I don't know if I could have returned those magic items if it were up to me.
Cespenar: Master didn't keep the shinies? But think of the beautiful magic that could have been wrought with that Stuff of the Magi and Cespenar's recipes? Oh well!
Aerie: That was well done, Charname. You may miss the power of the stuff of that mage but you did what was good and righteous!
Edwin: You are an imbecile for giving away such relics of power! (If it were up to me I would make certain you one day regret this decision. I could have used those items!)

If Charname 3 then:
Erevain Beraskána: And now you learn the power that was behind the crafting of these items. Now, young mortal, you will die. {Queue battle}.

I'll start working on the flavor text for the items now. I like the idea of giving Tolgerias one of the items. It would boost the difficulty of that fight (which I think is easier than a lot of the rest of the planar sphere quest). I suggest taking an item from one of the ToB mobs. Let me know how you decide and I'll see if I need to adjust any of my flavor text.

On another note, the battle with the baelnorn is a good idea, I think. Maybe have the lich spawn before the climactic conclusion of ToB even if the PC doesn't put together the whole set. It'd round out Imoen or another character's spellbook and provide a last little bump of xp.

EDIT: Two quick things. One, I don't know how monster spawning and dialogue works but do you have a way to make sure that Cespenar is near the pocket plane's entry point when Erevain spawns? It would be weird to have him off the screen and having dialogue. The other thing: please give me a post with the final stats on the Stuff of the Magi. I will probably refer to some of the powers in my flavor text.

Edited by Rastamage, 03 June 2008 - 05:17 PM.

#49 kevmus

kevmus
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:33 PM

I fiddled around with some dialogue while you compiled all that data for me. Here's what I cobbled together:

snipped

The dialogue seems good. Maybe a few more interjections from nonmage NPCs would fit, but the base seems good.
I say we make the lich worth 75000xp and give 10000xp for giving his stuff back.

I like the idea of giving Tolgerias one of the items. It would boost the difficulty of that fight (which I think is easier than a lot of the rest of the planar sphere quest). I suggest taking an item from one of the ToB mobs. Let me know how you decide and I'll see if I need to adjust any of my flavor text.

I'd rather take the item from Sendai. She is not (totally) a mage, and she comes very late in the game.

On another note, the battle with the baelnorn is a good idea, I think. Maybe have the lich spawn before the climactic conclusion of ToB even if the PC doesn't put together the whole set. It'd round out Imoen or another character's spellbook and provide a last little bump of xp.

I'd like to have him spawn if you have all or most of the items. If he comes all the way to your pocket plane to fight over his old boots, it doesn't make much sense.

EDIT: Two quick things. One, I don't know how monster spawning and dialogue works but do you have a way to make sure that Cespenar is near the pocket plane's entry point when Erevain spawns? It would be weird to have him off the screen and having dialogue. The other thing: please give me a post with the final stats on the Stuff of the Magi. I will probably refer to some of the powers in my flavor text.

I can make Cespy move to see what's going on.

Final stats:

Robe (Vongoethe)

STATISTICS:

Armor Class: 2
Magic Resistance: +25%
+3 to Save vs. Spells
Weight: 3
Only usable by:
Mages/Sorcerers

Amulet: Demogorgon

STATISTICS
Improve spellcasting speed by two
Immune to Flesh to Stone
+1 to Save vs. Petrification/Polymorph
+1 to Save vs. Breath Weapons
Weight: 0
Only Usable By:
Mages/Sorcerers

Boots: Kangaxx

STATISTICS
Aura cleansed after each spell
Movement rate increased by 50%
Weight: 2
Usable By:
Mages/Sorcerers

Staff: Mage in Twisted Rune

STATISTICS
Armor Class: +2 bonus
Saving Throws: +2 bonus
Equipped Abilities: Invisibility, Immunity to Charm, Protection From Evil

Fireball-Lightning
Damage: combined lightning and fireball damage
Range: 150 feet
Use: Three times a day

Abilities: Spell Trap
Duration: 8 hours or until 30 spell levels have been trapped
Use: Once a day

Combat Ability (each hit): Dispel Magic
Thac0: +2 bonus (strikes as a +5 weapon)
Damage: 2d6 +2
Damage type: Crushing
Speed Factor: 1
Proficiency Type: Quarterstaff
Type: 2-handed
Requires: 5 Strength
Usable By
Mages/Sorcerers

Bracers: Firkraag

STATISTICS:

Memorize one extra spells of each level
Immunity to backstab
Weight: 1
Only usable by:
Mages/Sorcerers

Helmet: Sendai

STATISTICS:
Equipped Abilities: Vocalize, Infravision
+1 Intelligence
Mind Shield (Immune to Feeblemind, Dire Charm, etc.)
Requires: 18 Intelligence
Usable By:
Mages/Sorcerers

Belt: Matron Mother Ardulace

STATISTICS
Improve spellcasting speed by one
Protection from normal missiles
+25% Magic Resistance
Usable By:
Mages/Sorcerers

You can just add that to the item's description (at the very bottom)

Here's an idea: Lets add a cloak to the mod! Maybe a ring too?

EDIT: BTW, the lich is going to be tough. 50% base MR + 50% through the items = 100%, AC 0, and all other lich goodies.

Edited by kevmus, 03 June 2008 - 05:46 PM.

#50 Rastamage

Rastamage
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:47 PM

I'm cobbling together the flavor text for the first seven pieces now. If you want to add a cloak and ring let me know. I think there's something to that, theme-wise. I'd suggest that a Ring of the Magi would work something like a high octane Ring of Wizardry. Maybe add together a Ring of Wizardry and a Ring of Protection? Not that inventive, I know, but solid. I wouldn't mind if the ring or cloak gave a boost to a Wild Mage's spell surge percentage check. That would pigeon hole Erevain as a Wild Mage, which would add flavor, but would also make one of the items less useful to non-Wild Mages.

#51 kevmus

kevmus
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:50 PM

I'm cobbling together the flavor text for the first seven pieces now. If you want to add a cloak and ring let me know. I think there's something to that, theme-wise. I'd suggest that a Ring of the Magi would work something like a high octane Ring of Wizardry. Maybe add together a Ring of Wizardry and a Ring of Protection? Not that inventive, I know, but solid. I wouldn't mind if the ring or cloak gave a boost to a Wild Mage's spell surge percentage check. That would pigeon hole Erevain as a Wild Mage, which would add flavor, but would also make one of the items less useful to non-Wild Mages.

Ooooh I wonder if it's possible to make an enemy wild mage... It would make the battle so much funnier....

Erevain casts Timestop
WILD SURGE
Cow falls on top of PCs

Erevain casts Horrid Wilting
WILD SURGE
PC is polymorphed to a chicken

etc. :P

Though, t'would be annoying.

I think the most important thing for now is to add the items. The lich can come later.

Edited by kevmus, 03 June 2008 - 05:51 PM.

#52 Rastamage

Rastamage
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:05 PM

Ooooh I wonder if it's possible to make an enemy wild mage... It would make the battle so much funnier....

Erevain casts Timestop
WILD SURGE
Cow falls on top of PCs

WILD SURGE

I think the most important thing for now is to add the items. The lich can come later.

Making an enemy Wild Mage is indeed possible. I've seen two mods do it. One by JOG where defeating the enemy Wild Mage gives access to his spellbook (which includes a large variety of wild magic spells). I've also seen a Wild Mage in my last play through of BG2. One of the githyanki coming to claim the vorpal sword is a Wild Mage. I dont' remember which mod that was, though.

If you like the idea of making Erevain a Wild Mage let me know. I'm finishing up the first paragraph of each of the Stuff of the Magi's flavor text. It's coming along nicely but in the fleshing out of Erevain's history I can already see where I'm going to make changes to the dialogue. When I do I'll see about adding some more dialogue from non-mage NPCs. I'd also like to add dialogue for Jan but I've never used him in my party before. I've always used Imoen. If you could help me in that department I'll add some dialogue for him too.

Is it looking to you like we're going to hash this out tonight or finish it tomorrow? If you want to finish tonight that's fine by me but I'd like to tell my brother so we can watch Semi-pro tomorrow night instead of tonight. I'm fine with finishing tonight because I'm likely to start BG2 tomorrow. I just want to give my bro a heads up if we're going to be at this for another couple hours.

#53 Rastamage

Rastamage
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:15 PM

Final stats:

Robe (Vongoethe)

STATISTICS:

Armor Class: 2
Magic Resistance: +25%
+3 to Save vs. Spells
Only usable by:
Mages/Sorcerers

Belt: Matron Mother Ardulace

STATISTICS
Improve spellcasting speed by one
Protection from normal missiles
+25% Magic Resistance
Usable By:
Mages/Sorcerers

You can just add that to the item's description (at the very bottom)

Here's an idea: Lets add a cloak to the mod! Maybe a ring too?

EDIT: BTW, the lich is going to be tough. 50% base MR + 50% through the items = 100%, AC 0, and all other lich goodies.

A few things. First, if I have my math right, Vongoethe is only going to have 75% MR, right? 50% base + 25% from the robe? Second, the Girdle of the Magi was supposed to be the weakest of the relics, right? Maybe ditch the +25% MR and make it elemental resistance or physical damage reduction? There's another issue floating around in my head, but I can't wrap my finger around it. I'll post again if it comes to me as I clear my head while I write out the flavor text.

#54 kevmus

kevmus
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:15 PM

Erevain casts Timestop
WILD SURGE
Cow falls on top of PCs

WILD SURGE

Making an enemy Wild Mage is indeed possible. I've seen two mods do it. One by JOG where defeating the enemy Wild Mage gives access to his spellbook (which includes a large variety of wild magic spells). I've also seen a Wild Mage in my last play through of BG2. One of the githyanki coming to claim the vorpal sword is a Wild Mage. I dont' remember which mod that was, though.

If you like the idea of making Erevain a Wild Mage let me know. I'm finishing up the first paragraph of each of the Stuff of the Magi's flavor text. It's coming along nicely but in the fleshing out of Erevain's history I can already see where I'm going to make changes to the dialogue. When I do I'll see about adding some more dialogue from non-mage NPCs. I'd also like to add dialogue for Jan but I've never used him in my party before. I've always used Imoen. If you could help me in that department I'll add some dialogue for him too.

Is it looking to you like we're going to hash this out tonight or finish it tomorrow? If you want to finish tonight that's fine by me but I'd like to tell my brother so we can watch Semi-pro tomorrow night instead of tonight. I'm fine with finishing tonight because I'm likely to start BG2 tomorrow. I just want to give my bro a heads up if we're going to be at this for another couple hours.

I can actually only work on this for another hour today. (Ah, the toils of summer school.)
So, today we can finish the items, start making the encounter, tomorrow we can flesh out the dialogue with Erevain and finish making the encounter.

Edit: And then we've still gotta test it. I'd like to try a solo runthrough with this actually, so it'll be a fun betatest. :P

Solo WildMage here I go! (I love the idea of wild mage vs wild mage)

Edited by kevmus, 03 June 2008 - 06:16 PM.

#55 Rastamage

Rastamage
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:23 PM

I can actually only work on this for another hour today. (Ah, the toils of summer school.)
So, today we can finish the items, start making the encounter, tomorrow we can flesh out the dialogue with Erevain and finish making the encounter.

Edit: And then we've still gotta test it. I'd like to try a solo runthrough with this actually, so it'll be a fun betatest. :P

Solo WildMage here I go! (I love the idea of wild mage vs wild mage)

That's fine. I just needed the timetable. I'm going to call it quits now, then, and pick up where I left off after I watch a movie with my bro. Hopefully clearing my head out with a comedy will help me remember some of the issues I had that I didn't address with you yet.

It sounds like you are going to play a Wild Mage yourself. Does that mean the Cloak and/or Ring of the Magi will have my suggested wild surge bonus? Also, I posted again while you were in the process of reading the thread so you may have missed my post above your last one. Talk to you tomorrow.

#56 kevmus

kevmus
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:40 PM

We can just lower the MR on the girdle to 15%
Also, there is a 25% MR on robe, so Erevain currently has 90% MR

STATUS UPDATE:

As of now, we have completed:
-Original SoTM items
-Nerfed SoTM items
-Nerfed SoTM item statistics
-dialogue for Erevain
-Erevain's creature file
-Erevain's custom items (nondroppable SoTM)

Todo list:
-Flavor text for nerfed SoTM items
-Create Cloak and Ring of the Magi (yes to wild surge bonus, why not)
-Move Sendai's SoTM to Tolgerias
-Spawn Erevain in AR4500 (pocket plane)
-Expand dialogue with Erevain
-Betatest

Edited by kevmus, 03 June 2008 - 06:40 PM.

#57 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:41 PM

Jut have to say, you folks rock. Good to see both a fun mod ressurected, and good ideas tossed back and forth. very cool.

#58 kevmus

kevmus
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:51 PM

Jut have to say, you folks rock. Good to see both a fun mod ressurected, and good ideas tossed back and forth. very cool.

Heh, thanks.

Just to let everyone know, if you have any suggestions feel free to chime in. We aren't greedy modders here, and good ideas WILL be put in. :)

#59 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:24 PM

Is it just me or do you have a permanent aura cleansing? That would be unbalancing, not to the fight, but to the rest of the game.

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#60 Rastamage

Rastamage
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:32 PM

I can be a night owl sometimes and then tend to sleep in the next morning. I'd love to see a release today so I stuck with my creative burst and here's what I've come up with. I'm going to make two posts to make it easier on the eyes. This post will be Erevain's background and the resulting dialogue. The second post will be flavor text and item properties. Miscellaneous thoughts as I begin: first, is it in the spirit of the game to offer a (minor) "set bonus" for completing the Stuff of the Magi? I know that's pretty much a WoW phenomenon but it struck me as a possibly cool idea. It wouldn't have to be major (let's face it the items themselves are pretty uber). Just a little "you did it!" sort of set bonus. I know I like to try and get all the spells for my spellbook. Something along those lines where it's more in the completion of the project rather than the reward itself. Also, you said earlier in the thread which I chewed on subconsciously during my movie:

Maybe Tolgerias for one of them, I don't know... Are there any other strong mages?

I sat back down at my PC to work on my part of the project and I had an "Oh! Duh!" moment. Is there a strong mage in BG2 besides Tolgerias? Uh... Irenicus! His item (I'm thinking the ring or cloak whichever isn't the wild mage item) could drop in the pocket plane and could be used for the Hell trials before the final battle of SoA! I really like this idea. Hopefully there's not a technical reason it can't be done. As a style addition could we make a corpse of Irenicus appear in the pocket plane and put the ring/cloak on the corpse? Not only would this be plain cool but it would make for a nasty surprise for the one person that may play this mod and never have beaten SoA before (yeah right, lol). Anyway, under the presumption that Irenicus can indeed have an item of the Stuff of the Magi I continue.

I begin with a timeline so that you don't have to piece my tale together using only the snippets that dialogue and item flavor text provide.

1.) Erevain and Joneleth are both High Mages of Suldanesselar. Erevain is a pioneer in a field of study that won't become more common until after the Time of Troubles, wild magic. Joneleth is a traditional High Mage. They are peers of each other and aware of the other but are not friends or co-magicians.

2.) Erevain's study of wild magic leads him to study human magic and he ends up spending time in Candlekeep. In his of the then miniscule field of wild magic he learns of the Time of Troubles and later Bhaalspawn spoken of in the prophecies of Alaundo the Seer. Erevain mentions both events to several of his colleagues, including Joneleth.

3.) The Time of Troubles. Erevain sees his study into the area of wild magic bloom. He also sees the devestation on Faerűn of the Time of Troubles.

4.) Through divination Erevain learns that the Bhaalspawn episode will affect Suldanesselar more directly than the Time of Troubles does. Fearing for his beloved city he begins the process of becoming a baelnorn to protect Suldanesselar from the second of the two whammies, the strife of the Bhaalspawn. In a chicken and the egg syndrome he mentions the coming of the Bhaalspawn to Joneleth (and other peers).

5.) Erevain finishes his research into becoming a baelnorn and the crafting of the Stuff of the Magi. As a part of being a benign undead he needs to show his faith in the Seldarine by giving away his Stuff. This is the opposite of an evil lich's phylactery. Whereas a lich hoards his phylactery as his most prized possession, the baelnorn gives away the most prized possessions to show faith in the Seldarine.

6.) Erevain finishes the Stuff of the Magi and becomes a baelnorn. He has no phylactery. The creation of the Stuff of the Magi was enough to cement his existence on the Prime so that a phylactery was unneccesary. He does feel a strong connection to the Stuff, though.

7.) Joneleth attempts to become a member of the Seldarine. He is cast out and becomes the Exile (with Bodhi of course). He recollects Erevain's mention of the Bhaalspawn and begins the research that leads to BG2.

8.) Erevain confronts the PC. I don't have the whole reason for Erevain's transformation fully fleshed out on purpose. Is he a baelnorn because of Irenicus or because of the PC? Both? The Bhaalspawn threat in general? I leave this to be fleshed out after this contribution by myself so that others who are working on this can help determine the climax. I'll write the dialogue and it can always be modified if there's a strong opinion on Erevain's motivation. Since this is a story being told through item flavor text and dialogue it could even be left vague so that the player can draw his or her own conclusion.

There's possible holes in my timeline. For one thing, I've played SoA quite a few times to completion but I can't say I've ever learned how long ago Joneleth committed his crimes and became Irenicus. To be safe I had Erevain become a baelnorn before Irenicus attempts to join the Seldarine, fails, and becomes the Exile. Done this way I'd say that Erevain's motivation should probably be either the PC specifically or the Bhaalspawn and the havoc they wreak in general.

Here's my second draft on the dialogue. I suspect that a third draft should hopefully only tweak on this. I'm having trouble writing dialogue for NPCs I don't know from personal game play experience. If anybody feels strongly that an NPC should pipe up here feel free to add a line or two of dialogue. Personally I feel that a comment from Jan is due but all I can come up with is some drivel from reading the FR wiki.

Erevain Beraskána: And so, at last, my choice to continue on the Prime as a member of the undead proves correct. Foolish mortal, how dare you seek to claim my magical accoutrements!? Two hundred years ago I, Erevain Beraskána, completed my work crafting these items that are worthy of any archmage. Doing so allowed me to become a baelnorn, an elven lich, without the need for a phylactery. Now my studies into the prophecies of Alaundo the Seer demonstrate their truth. I cannot let an impertinent one with a tainted bloodline such as yourself, Bhaalspawn, wear them now. Give them over lest you face your doom!

Cespenar: Ooh, Master never told me about these shiny ones! Master has a new set of shinies? Now why didn't Master tell Cespenar so Cespenar could check his recipes?

Charname: 1. Tainted bloodline? This from a member of the undead? Well, Erevain, you can see yourself away from my pocket plane and back to whatever little hidey hole you crawled out of.
Charname: 2. I see, oh noble baelnorn. Of course I will return your treasures to you. Here, take them and return from whence you came.
Charname: 3. Thanks for visiting my pocket plane. I'll be sure to search your corpse for more treasure to add to my growing collection!

If Charname 1 then:
Imoen: You've got a lot of nerve pointing out a Bhaalspawn's tainted bloodline when you willingly became undead! I'm with you, Charname!
Aerie: I'm not so sure of this. I know I was raised by gnomes but I think baelnorns are actually good. Are you sure you want to provoke him, Charname?
Jaheira: The undead are an abomination of Nature. Truly, whether this creature is good or evil, Balance will be served by its destruction.
Edwin: That's the spirit, Charname! Let us show this lich what for! (For surely you simians are destined to pass these items on to me.)
Jan: Whoa! This fellow looks just like he made a deal with Old Scratchy... It reminds me of.. this is just like that time I... hmm. I don't think anything like this has ever happened to me before... I think this fellow would have done better to eat his turnips than to become a lich.
Erevain Beraskána: Bah! How little you younglings know, 'tis true. I give you one last chance to return my belongings. Will you part with my paraphernalia or must we do battle? Know that I have studied the Art through the fantastic branch known as wild magic since before your mother's mother was even conceived. My power cannot be denied nor my righteousness. You face not only a High Mage, an elven archmage, but also one who is a master of wild magic as well. As a mortal I knew no equal in the Art of the Weave's chaotic side and my powers have only grown since my passage into undeath.
Charname: 1. I am on a quest to end the strife of the Bhaalspawn. You should have passed on to your final resting place, Erevain. If you still lay claim the gear of your mortal lifetime you must take it by force. {Queue battle}
Charname: 2. Noble spirit, I did not know that you were still inhabiting Faerűn. Since you proclaim need yourself, I gladly return your belongings. Fare thee well, High Mage. {Items removed from inventory. Quest experience gained (but how much?)}

If Charname 2 then:
Erevain Beraskána: It is good to see the work of my lifetime restored to me. Here, take these scrolls. May they serve you well. {Add scrolls and scroll box to inventory. Quest experience gained (but how much?)}
Imoen: Whoa. I don't know if I could have done that, Charname. The stuff of that mage sure was potent! It may be a remnant of my rapscallion days back at Candlekeep but I don't know if I could have returned those magic items if it were up to me.
Cespenar: Master didn't keep the shinies? But think of the beautiful items that could have been wrought with that stuff of the magi and Cespenar's recipes? Oh well!
Aerie: That was well done, Charname. You may miss the power of the stuff of that High Mage but you did what was good and righteous!
Edwin: You are an imbecile for giving away such relics of power! (If it were up to me I would make certain you one day regret this decision. I could have used those items!)

If Charname 3 then:
Erevain Beraskána: And now you learn the power that was behind the crafting of these items. Now, young mortal, you will die. {Queue battle}.

Next post will be my item flavor text and discussion on the Stuff of the Magi's properties.

Edited by Rastamage, 03 June 2008 - 10:34 PM.