Stuff of the Magi

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#81 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:27 AM

IHowever... since it seems I'm outvoted on the "evil act" and since you are the second person to mention Vithal the imprisoned mage in the Underdark I concede to the evil act and using Vithal since he's optional instead of Suneer in Suldanesselar. I'll console myself on the changes by remembering that this means I get the item earlier, lol.

Hmm... maybe it would be easier to make the change between Vithal (who is a mage and a searcher of artifacts) and the Sahuagin king? (who is a fighter and has little reason to have it?) After all, Suneer is much more epic, is a MAGE and all that stuff ;-)
The Mind is its own place and in itself - can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. -John Milton, Paradise lost

#82 kevmus

kevmus
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:30 AM

sure that works too, (now I've really gotta go. :P)

#83 Rastamage

Rastamage
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:31 AM

Oh yeah.... I forgot to include my current understanding of the breakdown of which SotM goes where. Here's my current understanding:

Ring: Lavok (Planar Sphere)
Cloak: King Ixilthetocal, the sahuagin king (Sahuagin City)
Bracers: Firkraag (Windspear Hills)
Staff: Layene, the mage in Twisted Rune (Bridge District)
Boots: Kangaxx (Bridge District)
Belt: Matron Mother Ardulace (Ust Natha)
Helmet: Vithal (the imprisoned mage in the underdark )
Amulet: Demogorgon (Watcher's Keep)
Robe: Vongoethe (Amkethran)

EDIT: I posted this list before I saw Tassadar's post about Vithal and King Ixilthetocal. I guess at this point this list is solid except for the possibility that the sahuagin king may be replaced by Vithal?

Edited by Rastamage, 04 June 2008 - 05:27 AM.

#84 Rastamage

Rastamage
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:47 AM

Heh. I'm glad I'm surfing to get new material while you all brainstorm off of other brainstorms, lol. I picked the sahuagin king in line with your earlier comments about not having to use all mages in choosing the holders of the SotM. So before I write any more fluff let me just put it out there. Do people prefer King Ixilthetocal for being a totally optional non-mage (though certainly not as tough as Firkraag or Demogorgon) or do people prefer Suneer for actually being a mage, being aligned with Irenicus (who we'd love to give a SotM item but can't) and for being extremely tough though not optional? I think when this determination is made I'll have all the pieces to craft my fluff.

On a different issue, how do people feel about my attempt to balance the SotM from a few posts ago? I made some major and some minor changes in attempting to rebalance after the loss of constant effect Improved Alacrity.

#85 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:47 AM

A name change might be cool, as well-- "Stuff of the Magi" sounds a bit mundane, and with the effort going into the resurrection of this mod, personally I think it deserves a more epic name!

Rastamage, let me know when you have the dialogue completed. If you'd like, I'm happy to go through and ensure NPCs are in-character and the dialogue flows properly, as well. :cheers:

It's great to see some new faces on the modding scene--hope to see you guys stick around! I'd love to see what you can come up with by yourselves, as well. I haven't seen many new item mods in a while... :whistling:

#86 Rastamage

Rastamage
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:52 AM

I have the main dialogue almost finished. I just need to add comments for Anomen and Viconia so that all the romancable NPCs chime in. I sort of put this part of the project on the side burner for the past couple hours because I really, really want a line from Minsc but nothing original has crept into my brain. I'll put down the item flavor text for a little bit and pace around my room to try and come up with the remaining three NPCs dialogue. Hopefully I'll have my third draft within the hour.

How do you feel the second draft turned out? I know I failed to mention that Erevain is upset with the PC for consolidating the SotM for the first time outside of his control. I am having the SotM act as a sort of anti-phylactery for Erevain. So I need to make sure he's right pissed that his "anti-phylactery" is being messed with rather than being scattered amongst some of the Sword Coast's worst villains!

#87 Rastamage

Rastamage
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:24 AM

Okay, I've tried to be a proper wordsmith and reworked the dialogue for a third draft. Please, be harsh if necessary. I'd rather take it on the chin now then have an inferior experience for a player trying this out. Here's the third draft:

Erevain Beraskána: And so, at last, my choice to continue on Faerűn as a member of the undead proves correct. Foolish mortal, how dare you seek to claim my magical accoutrements!? Two hundred years ago I, Erevain Beraskána, completed my work crafting these items that are worthy of any archmage. I then scattered them all around the Sword Coast amongst the most nefarious of villains to prevent them from ever being gathered together in one place again. Doing so allowed me to become a baelnorn, an elven lich, without the need for a phylactery. But no mage was ever meant to wield all of the Magi items but myself! The fact that it should be one of the nefarious Bhaalspawn only further proves the validity of my plans. Only the most vile of villains could be able to trump all the others and take control over all of the Magi ensorcelled paraphernalia. Now my studies into the prophecies of Alaundo the Seer demonstrate their truth. I cannot let an impertinent one with a tainted bloodline such as yourself, Bhaalspawn, wear them now. Give them over lest you face your doom!

Cespenar: Ooh, Master never told me about these shiny ones! Master has a new set of shinies? Now why didn't Master tell Cespenar so Cespenar could check his recipes?

Charname: 1. Tainted bloodline? This from a member of the undead? Well, Erevain, you can see yourself away from my pocket plane and back to whatever little hidey hole you crawled out of.
Charname: 2. I see, oh noble baelnorn. Of course I will return your treasures to you. Here, take them and return from whence you came.
Charname: 3. Thanks for visiting my pocket plane. I'll be sure to search your corpse for more treasure to add to my growing collection!

If Charname 1 then:
Imoen: You've got a lot of nerve pointing out a Bhaalspawn's tainted bloodline when you willingly became undead! I'm with you, Charname!
Aerie: I'm not so sure of this. I know I was raised by gnomes but I think baelnorns are actually good. Are you sure you want to provoke him, Charname?
Jaheira: The undead are an abomination of Nature. Truly, whether this creature is good or evil, Balance will be served by its destruction.
Viconia: And so we see the dark side of the so-called "noble" surface elves. This walking corpse claims nobility for breaking his phylactery into multiple parts? The dirthiir are no better than the drow.
Anomen: As part of my training with the Order of the Most Radiant Heart we learned much on the nature of the undead. I consider myself schooled in the ways of the restless spirits who haunt the world as unliving... creatures. But I have never heard of a noble lich. Be wary, Charname! It's rotten tongue may be trying to deceive us!
Edwin: That's the spirit, Charname! Let us show this lich what for! (For surely you simians are destined to pass these items on to me.)
Jan: Whoa! This fellow looks just like he made a deal with Old Scratchy... It reminds me of.. this is just like that time I... hmm. I don't think anything like this has ever happened to me before... I think this fellow would have done better to eat his turnips than to become a lich.
Valygar: Even my ancestor Lavok didn't sink to the level of becoming undead. Sure, he preyed on his family. But choosing to become a rotting, unliving yet undead corpse? Filthy magic indeed.
Minsc: What?! Boo says, that if it smells of the grave it must be evil. You and Boo and I (and the rest of the party) should deliver a proper butt kicking for justice!
Erevain Beraskána: Bah! How little you younglings know, 'tis true. I give you one last chance to return my belongings. Will you part with my paraphernalia or must we do battle? Know that I have studied the Art through the fantastic branch known as wild magic since before your mother's mother was even conceived. My power cannot be denied nor my righteousness. You face not only a High Mage, an elven archmage, but also one who is a master of wild magic as well. As a mortal I knew no equal in the Art of the Weave's chaotic side and my powers have only grown since my passage into undeath.
Charname: 1. I am on a quest to end the strife of the Bhaalspawn. You should have passed on to your final resting place, Erevain. If you still lay claim the gear of your mortal lifetime you must take it by force. {Queue battle}
Charname: 2. Noble spirit, I did not know that you were still inhabiting Faerűn. Since you proclaim need for yourself, I gladly return your belongings. Fare thee well, High Mage. {Items removed from inventory. Quest experience gained (but how much?)}

If Charname 2 then:
Erevain Beraskána: It is good to see the work of my lifetime restored to me. Here, take these scrolls. May they serve you well. {Add scrolls and scroll box to inventory. Quest experience gained (but how much?)}
Imoen: Whoa. I don't know if I could have done that, Charname. The stuff of that mage sure was potent! It may be a remnant of my rapscallion days back at Candlekeep but I don't know if I could have returned those magic items if it were up to me.
Cespenar: Master didn't keep the shinies? But think of the beautiful items that could have been wrought with that stuff of the magi and Cespenar's recipes? Oh well!
Aerie: That was well done, Charname. You may miss the power of the stuff of that High Mage but you did what was good and righteous!
Edwin: You are an imbecile for giving away such relics of power! (If it were up to me I would make certain you one day regret this decision. I could have used those items!)

If Charname 3 then:
Erevain Beraskána: And now you learn the power that was behind the crafting of these items. Now, young mortal, you will die. {Queue battle}.

#88 kevmus

kevmus
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:52 AM

I'd rather an item be on Suneer than on the Sahuagin. Suneer can use it on the party :D

Okay, I've tried to be a proper wordsmith and reworked the dialogue for a third draft. Please, be harsh if necessary. I'd rather take it on the chin now then have an inferior experience for a player trying this out. Here's the third draft:

Ok then, let the nitpicking begin: :)

Erevain Beraskána: And so, at last, my choice to continue on Faerűn as a member of the undead proves correct.

I see no need for this line at all... The player should know he's undead from looking at him and from him calling himself a baelnorn.

Foolish mortal, how dare you seek to claim my magical accoutrements!?

Accoutrements seems a little forced. Equipment? Items?

these items that are worthy of any archmage.

these items, each worthy of an archmage (emphasize they were supposed to be seperated)

I then scattered them all around the Sword Coast amongst the most nefarious of villains to prevent them from ever being gathered together in one place again.

Why exactly wouldn't he keep them? Explain please. :P

Doing so allowed me to become a baelnorn, an elven lich, without the need for a phylactery.

Why? There are no other phylacteries in BG2 so I say remove the "without the need for a phylactery. "

But no mage was ever meant to wield all of the Magi items but myself!

But I was supposed to be the only one to ever collect the Magi items!

The fact that it should be one of the nefarious Bhaalspawn only further proves the validity of my plans.

I don't like this line at all...

Only the most vile of villains could be able to trump all the others and take control over all of the Magi ensorcelled paraphernalia.

Ensorcelled paraphernalia? How about "my enchanted items" ?

Now my studies into the prophecies of Alaundo the Seer demonstrate their truth.

I say we do NOT say Alaundo was right before the end of TOB (when the PC will know for sure)

I cannot let an impertinent one with a tainted bloodline such as yourself, Bhaalspawn, wear them now. Give them over lest you face your doom!

What if Aerie, Kelsey, Edwin, Minsc with the Minsc Sorcerer Mod (I so want to make that) or Tashia is using the items?
Why not just change the whole thing to:
"I cannot allow one mage to collect the items. They were never intented to benefit a Bhaalspawn!"

Cespenar: Ooh, Master never told me about these shiny ones! Master has a new set of shinies? Now why didn't Master tell Cespenar so Cespenar could check his recipes?

This line is awesome

Charname: 1. Tainted bloodline? This from a member of the undead? Well, Erevain, you can see yourself away from my pocket plane and back to whatever little hidey hole you crawled out of.
Charname: 2. I see, oh noble baelnorn. Of course I will return your treasures to you. Here, take them and return from whence you came.
Charname: 3. Thanks for visiting my pocket plane. I'll be sure to search your corpse for more treasure to add to my growing collection!

These are great too.

If Charname 1 then:
Imoen: You've got a lot of nerve pointing out a Bhaalspawn's tainted bloodline when you willingly became undead! I'm with you, Charname!

Also good

Aerie: I'm not so sure of this. I know I was raised by gnomes but I think baelnorns are actually good. Are you sure you want to provoke him, Charname?

Should be changed to something like:
Aerie: I'm not sure about this. I think baelnorns aren't actually evil. Are you sure you want to provoke him, Charname?

Jaheira: The undead are an abomination of Nature. Truly, whether this creature is good or evil, Balance will be served by its destruction.

Without Aerie's interjection Jaheira's "Truly, whether this creature is good or evil" doesn't fit. Also, change Balance will to Balance would, because we still have a chance to back out

Viconia: And so we see the dark side of the so-called "noble" surface elves. This walking corpse claims nobility for breaking his phylactery into multiple parts? The dirthiir are no better than the drow.

If we remove the phylactery line above this should be changed.

Anomen: As part of my training with the Order of the Most Radiant Heart we learned much on the nature of the undead. I consider myself schooled in the ways of the restless spirits who haunt the world as unliving... creatures. But I have never heard of a noble lich. Be wary, Charname! It's rotten tongue may be trying to deceive us!

I don't see this as pompous and arrogant enough for Anomen, and remember, he might fail his quest and be evil now.

Edwin: That's the spirit, Charname! Let us show this lich what for! (For surely you simians are destined to pass these items on to me.)

Let us show this lich how a fireball feels!

Jan: Whoa! This fellow looks just like he made a deal with Old Scratchy... It reminds me of.. this is just like that time I... hmm. I don't think anything like this has ever happened to me before... I think this fellow would have done better to eat his turnips than to become a lich.

Change Whoa! to Hmm... so it fits better with the rest.

Valygar: Even my ancestor Lavok didn't sink to the level of becoming undead. Sure, he preyed on his family. But choosing to become a rotting, unliving yet undead corpse? Filthy magic indeed.

remove the words "my ancestor"
change "Sure, he preyed on his family. But choosing "
to "Sure, he preyed on his family, but choosing "
remove ", unliving yet"

Minsc:

Change to:
Minsc: What?! Boo says that if it smells of the grave it must be evil. We should deliver a proper buttkicking for justice!

Erevain Beraskána: Bah! How little you younglings know, 'tis true.

remove ", 'tis true"

I give you one last chance to return my belongings.

This is ok.

Will you part with my paraphernalia or must we do battle?

part with my gear

Know that I have studied the Art through the fantastic branch known as wild magic since before your mother's mother was even conceived.

remove "the Art through"

My power cannot be denied nor my righteousness.

remove: nor my righteousness

You face not only a High Mage, an elven archmage,

remove ",an elven archmage,"

but also one who is a master of wild magic as well.

remove either "also" or "as well"

As a mortal I knew no equal in the Art of the Weave's chaotic side and my powers have only grown since my passage into undeath.

this is good

Charname: 1. I am on a quest to end the strife of the Bhaalspawn. You should have passed on to your final resting place, Erevain. If you still lay claim the gear of your mortal lifetime you must take it by force. {Queue battle}

The "I am on a quest to end the strife of the Bhaalspawn." won't be every character's goal. Maybe just delete that part?

Charname: 2. Noble spirit, I did not know that you were still inhabiting Faerűn. Since you proclaim need for yourself, I gladly return your belongings. Fare thee well, High Mage. {Items removed from inventory. Quest experience gained (but how much?)}

This dialog should link to Charname2 below, not a separate thing (that way you still get the scrolls)

If Charname 2 then:
Erevain Beraskána: It is good to see the work of my lifetime restored to me. Here, take these scrolls. May they serve you well. {Add scrolls and scroll box to inventory. Quest experience gained (but how much?)}

10000 quest xp (10000 per party member)

Imoen: Whoa. I don't know if I could have done that, Charname. The stuff of that mage sure was potent! It may be a remnant of my rapscallion days back at Candlekeep but I don't know if I could have returned those magic items if it were up to me.

Imoen calling herself a rapscallion? :P Why not just remove that word?

Cespenar: Master didn't keep the shinies? But think of the beautiful items that could have been wrought with that stuff of the magi and Cespenar's recipes? Oh well!

Your cespenar lines are good :)

Aerie: That was well done, Charname. You may miss the power of the stuff of that High Mage but you did what was good and righteous!

Maybe we should change it to "You may miss the power of the stuff of that High Mage but you made the right choice"

Edwin: You are an imbecile for giving away such relics of power! (If it were up to me I would make certain you one day regret this decision. I could have used those items!)

Change the parenthesis to (You will regret having made this decision. I wanted to keep those items!)

If Charname 3 then:
Erevain Beraskána: And now you learn the power that was behind the crafting of these items. Now, young mortal, you will die. {Queue battle}.

This is good.

Phew, sorry for taking your dialogue apart. Tell me what you think about the revisions. (feel free to paraphrase any of my changes)

Edited by kevmus, 04 June 2008 - 09:54 AM.

#89 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:16 AM

I'd rather an item be on Suneer than on the Sahuagin. Suneer can use it on the party :D

seconded :-)

Erevain Beraskána: And so, at last, my choice to continue on Faerűn as a member of the undead proves correct.

I see no need for this line at all... The player should know he's undead from looking at him and from him calling himself a baelnorn.

yep, everyone will see the lich animation, although few will know what a baelnorn is :-)

I´d go thesaurus and try even something different - in between ... items seems too mundane :-)

Doing so allowed me to become a baelnorn, an elven lich, without the need for a phylactery.

Why? There are no other phylacteries in BG2 so I say remove the "without the need for a phylactery. "
There are phylacteries in mods, so maybe we can keep that?

Only the most vile of villains could be able to trump all the others and take control over all of the Magi ensorcelled paraphernalia.

again - enchanted items sounds too mundane and ensorcelled paraphernalia sounds too forced :crying:

I say we do NOT say Alaundo was right before the end of TOB (when the PC will know for sure)

actually I had no problem with that one ;-)

I cannot let an impertinent one with a tainted bloodline such as yourself, Bhaalspawn, wear them now. Give them over lest you face your doom!

What if Aerie, Kelsey, Edwin, Minsc with the Minsc Sorcerer Mod (I so want to make that) or Tashia is using the items?
"I cannot allow one mage to collect the items. They were never intented to benefit a Bhaalspawn!"

either of these approaches sounds fine to me :-)

These are great too.

Like them, I would just change "member of the undead" for "an undead"-

Aerie: I'm not sure about this. I think baelnorns aren't actually evil. Are you sure you want to provoke him, Charname?

hmm... I liked the first one better here ;-)

I don't see this as pompous and arrogant enough for Anomen, and remember, he might fail his quest and be evil now.

Actually, I liked this Anomen quite a lot
Btw, Keldorn the Paladin/Inquisitor - he should also have something to say to that ;-)

remove ", unliving yet"

I am quite sure Valygar would hae said "foul" rather than "filthy" ;-)

part with my gear

I like the Kevmuses one better ere ;-)

I´d be for keeping the righteousness bit ;-)

Maybe we should change it to "You may miss the power of the stuff of that High Mage but you made the right choice"

seconded
The Mind is its own place and in itself - can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. -John Milton, Paradise lost

#90 kevmus

kevmus
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:28 AM

seconded :-)

yep, everyone will see the lich animation, although few will know what a baelnorn is :-)

I´d go thesaurus and try even something different - in between ... items seems too mundane :-)

There are phylacteries in mods, so maybe we can keep that?

again - enchanted items sounds too mundane and ensorcelled paraphernalia sounds too forced :crying:

actually I had no problem with that one ;-)

either of these approaches sounds fine to me :-)

These are great too.

Like them, I would just change "member of the undead" for "an undead"-

hmm... I liked the first one better here ;-)

Actually, I liked this Anomen quite a lot
Btw, Keldorn the Paladin/Inquisitor - he should also have something to say to that ;-)

remove ", unliving yet"

I am quite sure Valygar would hae said "foul" rather than "filthy" ;-)

part with my gear

I like the Kevmuses one better ere ;-)

I´d be for keeping the righteousness bit ;-)

seconded

You know what? I actually agree with your changes, Tassadar. :)

Edited by kevmus, 04 June 2008 - 10:28 AM.

#91 kevmus

kevmus
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:39 AM

As for the (changed) items:

Ring - Improve spellcasting speed by two. Add 10 to dice roll on the wild surge chart. Memorize one extra spell of first, second, and seventh level.

I propose removing speed, making it 25 to dice roll and +1 spell/level

Cloak - Immunity to death effects and energy drain. Cast Pierce Shield 3x day. Saving Throws:+1 bonus.

I don't like the death effect immunity. Why not have something like:
Cast Chain Contingency 1/day
Cast Spell Trigger 1/day
+1 AC Bonus

(As we are having a ring and cloak added, why not give some ac, my argument of 'too many slots free for ring/cloak of protections goes down the drain.

Bracers - Intelligence: +1 bonus. Memorize one extra spell of each level. Immunity to backstab. Requires 17 Intelligence.

Why the extra +1 int here?

Boots - Improve spellcasting speed by one. Movement rate increased by 100%. Cast Improved Alacrity once a day.

I object to the 100% movement speed.
50% already moves fast enough, and 100% will mean the mage gets everywhere first
Maybe drop speed to 50%, imp alac 1/day, and 25% resist elements?

Belt - Improve spellcasting speed by one. Armor Class: +3 bonus vs missile weapons. +15% Magic Resistance.

Agreed

As for what I'm doing now: Making a combat script for Mr. Erevain.

Should we go no cheese, slight cheese, or lots of cheese?
Maybe I should make it a component... :P

Edited by kevmus, 04 June 2008 - 10:58 AM.

#92 Rastamage

Rastamage
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:12 PM

I'm making my suggestions on this thread before I tackle that dialogue discussion since this effects your coding. I'm only commenting on items where changes were discussed:

Ring - Improve spellcasting speed by two. Add 10 to dice roll on the wild surge chart. Memorize one extra spell of first, second, and seventh level.

I strongly suggest leaving the wild surge modifier at 10. 15 at the very extreme. This is potentially just as game breaking as the Improved Alacrity was. Don't forget character levels and Chaos Shield will be boosting wild surge checks too!

Cloak - Immunity to death effects and energy drain. Cast Pierce Shield 3x day. Saving Throws:+1 bonus.

Cast Spell Trigger 1/day
+1 AC Bonus

(As we are having a ring and cloak added, why not give some ac, my argument of 'too many slots free for ring/cloak of protections goes down the drain.

I like the AC bonus. This makes the item into a supercharged cloak of protection. Maybe ditch either the Chain Contingency or the Spell Trigger and go with +2 to saves and AC?

Bracers - Intelligence: +1 bonus. Memorize one extra spell of each level. Immunity to backstab. Requires 17 Intelligence.

The +1 to Int is from the original SotM. I added it since you decided to make the set wearable by dual and multi-classed mages too. Imoen (or Jan or Aerie or Edwin) and the PC could be wearing different items. +1 to Int would be nice in this case and is part of the original mod anyway.

Boots - Improve spellcasting speed by one. Movement rate increased by 100%. Cast Improved Alacrity once a day.

50% already moves fast enough, and 100% will mean the mage gets everywhere first

I thought the Boots of Speed gave a +100% to movement rate. Disregard my correction here if the Boots of Speed only provide +50%.

For the set bonus maybe a +5 to wild surge checks if the PC is wearing all of the SotM in addition to the +1 to spellcasting speed bonus?

I have an idea for some cheese that would be cool, if possibly difficult. Would it be possible to script wild surges and specify that it be one that benefits Erevain? Semi-random but not being detrimental to Erevain?

#93 kevmus

kevmus
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:19 PM

I'm making my suggestions on this thread before I tackle that dialogue discussion since this effects your coding. I'm only commenting on items where changes were discussed:

I strongly suggest leaving the wild surge modifier at 10. 15 at the very extreme. This is potentially just as game breaking as the Improved Alacrity was. Don't forget character levels and Chaos Shield will be boosting wild surge checks too!

Ok, but do you agree with changing the speed over to more spells?

Cast Spell Trigger 1/day
+1 AC Bonus

I like the AC bonus. This makes the item into a supercharged cloak of protection. Maybe ditch either the Chain Contingency or the Spell Trigger and go with +2 to saves and AC?

Lets ditch the low level one (spell trigger) to keep the item strong. (+2 saves, ac, chain contingency 1/day)

The +1 to Int is from the original SotM. I added it since you decided to make the set wearable by dual and multi-classed mages too. Imoen (or Jan or Aerie or Edwin) and the PC could be wearing different items. +1 to Int would be nice in this case and is part of the original mod anyway.

That's true. I agree

I thought the Boots of Speed gave a +100% to movement rate. Disregard my correction here if the Boots of Speed only provide +50%.

For the set bonus maybe a +5 to wild surge checks if the PC is wearing all of the SotM in addition to the +1 to spellcasting speed bonus?

I have an idea for some cheese that would be cool, if possibly difficult. Would it be possible to script wild surges and specify that it be one that benefits Erevain? Semi-random but not being detrimental to Erevain?

I don't know if we can script surges...
And the set bonus is fine.

#94 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:31 PM

Food for thought?

http://iesdp.gibberl...s.htm#wildmagic

and from http://forums.gibber...mp;#entry116245

I think the wild surges are all spwmXXX

They are hardcoded in the exe in this order:

SPWM102 SPWM102 SPWM103 SPWM104 SPWM105 SPWM107 SPWM108 SPWM109 SPWM110 SPWM110 SPWM111 SPWM112 SPWM113 SPWM114 SPWM115 SPWM183 SPWM117 SPWM118 SPWI523 SPWM120 SPWM122 SPWM123 SPWM125 SPWM126 SPPR211 SPWM128 SPWI206 SPWM130 SPWI206 SPWI105 SPWM134 SPWM136 SPPR207 SPPR207 SPWM141 SPWM141 SPWM142 SPWM142 SPWM145 SPWM145 SPWM113 SPWI407 SPWM155 SPWM153 SPWM154 SPWM155 SPWM157 SPWM159 SPWM114 SPWM162 SPWM164 SPWI308 SPWM167 SPWM168 SPWM111 SPWM118 SPWI304 SPWI604 SPWM168 SPWM128 SPWI523 SPWM122 SPWM178 SPWM179 SPWM136 SPWM120 SPWM141 SPPR211 SPPR211 SPWM107 SPWM186 SPWM187 SPWM188 SPWM128 SPWM191 SPWM153 SPWM122 SPWM115 SPWM117 SPWM198

so it should in the end be scriptable I think :-)

#95 kevmus

kevmus
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:33 PM

Food for thought?

http://iesdp.gibberl...s.htm#wildmagic

and from http://forums.gibber...mp;#entry116245

I think the wild surges are all spwmXXX

They are hardcoded in the exe in this order:

SPWM102 SPWM102 SPWM103 SPWM104 SPWM105 SPWM107 SPWM108 SPWM109 SPWM110 SPWM110 SPWM111 SPWM112 SPWM113 SPWM114 SPWM115 SPWM183 SPWM117 SPWM118 SPWI523 SPWM120 SPWM122 SPWM123 SPWM125 SPWM126 SPPR211 SPWM128 SPWI206 SPWM130 SPWI206 SPWI105 SPWM134 SPWM136 SPPR207 SPPR207 SPWM141 SPWM141 SPWM142 SPWM142 SPWM145 SPWM145 SPWM113 SPWI407 SPWM155 SPWM153 SPWM154 SPWM155 SPWM157 SPWM159 SPWM114 SPWM162 SPWM164 SPWI308 SPWM167 SPWM168 SPWM111 SPWM118 SPWI304 SPWI604 SPWM168 SPWM128 SPWI523 SPWM122 SPWM178 SPWM179 SPWM136 SPWM120 SPWM141 SPPR211 SPPR211 SPWM107 SPWM186 SPWM187 SPWM188 SPWM128 SPWM191 SPWM153 SPWM122 SPWM115 SPWM117 SPWM198

so it should in the end be scriptable I think :-)

I can just picture the fun.

Erevain casts Protection from Evil on self
WILD SURGE
SPWM154 Summons a Cacofiend
:twisted:

#96 Rastamage

Rastamage
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:46 PM

I propose removing speed, making it 25 to dice roll and +1 spell/leve.

I missed this last post. I agree, I think, with speed over spells. But, just to play Devil's advocate, wouldn't faster spells be better than more spells by this point in the game?

Like I said, I'm just looking for the quickness of Boots of Speed. +50%, +100%, whatever that is.

I'm not fully clear on which set bonus you like. I think, since you have changed the mod so that dual and multi-class mages can now use the SotM that making the set bonus a bit more pumped could be a way to tempt the player not to cherry pick set pieces while using other uber items like the Robe of Vecna.

#97 kevmus

kevmus
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:50 PM

I propose removing speed, making it 25 to dice roll and +1 spell/leve.

I missed this last post. I agree, I think, with speed over spells. But, just to play Devil's advocate, wouldn't faster spells be better than more spells by this point in the game?

Like I said, I'm just looking for the quickness of Boots of Speed. +50%, +100%, whatever that is.

I'm not fully clear on which set bonus you like. I think, since you have changed the mod so that dual and multi-class mages can now use the SotM that making the set bonus a bit more pumped could be a way to tempt the player not to cherry pick set pieces while using other uber items like the Robe of Vecna.

Rest assured, boots will have boots of speed quickness (actually, as they are [and were in the original version] they stack with haste (:o) for 300% speed.
(Regular=100%, Haste gives 2x that, or 200%, boots gave 1.5x that or 300%)

And I agree with the +5 surge +1 speed.

I'm just slightly worried the PC will be able to cast timestop in 0 seconds, is all. :P

With all the changes, a full set would give -7 casting speed.
Timestop takes as much time as Melf's Acid Arrow used to take...

Edited by kevmus, 04 June 2008 - 12:55 PM.

#98 kevmus

kevmus
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:02 PM

My latest idea is to just make Everain a regular mage and script the surges in. That way he can avoid turning into a squirrel or something.

#99 Rastamage

Rastamage
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:24 PM

I'm just slightly worried the PC will be able to cast timestop in 0 seconds, is all. :P

Well, using the Robe of Vecna and the Amulet of Power together (which I always did before) gives a -5 off of just two items. Something to bear in mind. Also, I'm not sure I was clear on this earlier, but I think one of the SotM should give energy drain immunity. Preferably one that you can get before all the vampire battles. Maybe the Ring of the Magi Lavok has? Since that's sort of the "wild mage item" the bonus spells could be cut back to just 1st, 2nd, and 7th levels (the levels of the wild magic spells). It strikes me that energy drain is one of the biggest pains in the butt since it makes you have to redo your spellbook after one hit (or more). It seems themey to me too since we have Erevain studying the undead on his quest to become a baelnorn. He could have studied vampires just as well as he studied liches in his research. (Hopefully I can make that a bit clearer when I finish the fourth draft of dialogue and start on the item flavor text again).

My latest idea is to just make Everain a regular mage and script the surges in. That way he can avoid turning into a squirrel or something.

I think that's a fine idea. He should be a master of wild magic. Some randomness to prevent replays from seeming to scripted is called for but, yeah, having him become a squirrel is a lame ending to what should be an epic battle.

#100 kevmus

kevmus
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:10 PM

Well, using the Robe of Vecna and the Amulet of Power together (which I always did before) gives a -5 off of just two items. Something to bear in mind. Also, I'm not sure I was clear on this earlier, but I think one of the SotM should give energy drain immunity. Preferably one that you can get before all the vampire battles. Maybe the Ring of the Magi Lavok has? Since that's sort of the "wild mage item" the bonus spells could be cut back to just 1st, 2nd, and 7th levels (the levels of the wild magic spells). It strikes me that energy drain is one of the biggest pains in the butt since it makes you have to redo your spellbook after one hit (or more). It seems themey to me too since we have Erevain studying the undead on his quest to become a baelnorn. He could have studied vampires just as well as he studied liches in his research. (Hopefully I can make that a bit clearer when I finish the fourth draft of dialogue and start on the item flavor text again).

I think that's a fine idea. He should be a master of wild magic. Some randomness to prevent replays from seeming to scripted is called for but, yeah, having him become a squirrel is a lame ending to what should be an epic battle.

Ok. Now here's what I've been thinking of for the script:
Lets make him play like a player.

I'm going to have him be liberal with timestop usage (Lets give him 6 casts of TS?)
If he is hurt, he will buff
Otherwise, he'll attack you with spells
1 round before his timestop ends he'll recast timestop (:D)

If you can survive the onslaught, and manage to dispell his Undead Solaufein-style buffs
(Spell immune: Divination/Abjuration
Improved Invisibility
Stoneskin
PfMW
Mirror Image)

AND get him to 50% health, He'll use a timestop scroll and rebuff.