Please report crashes here

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#121 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:08 AM

I do add variable THUG_ESCAPE in my Setup-PST-Fix.tp2. I'm not sure why it should crash at that point. Does the variable not exist in your VAR.VAR after installation, scient?

Qwinn

#122 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:38 PM

I do add variable THUG_ESCAPE in my Setup-PST-Fix.tp2. I'm not sure why it should crash at that point. Does the variable not exist in your VAR.VAR after installation, scient?

Qwinn

Ah, my bad. The debug installation I was using only had v4.0 installed not v4.1. Another installation directory I had updated to v4.1 loads up the game fine (and has THUG_ESCAPE in var.var). Looking into repeating crash hayohayo detailed.

edit:
Confirmed. Said I wanted to see Dhall and midway into loading the game crashes.

Edited by scient, 11 May 2010 - 12:43 PM.

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#123 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:58 AM

That's actually a very old bug, happens in vanilla, and people've been trying to figure it out forever. I think there's a thread about it around here somewhere, actually. I also seem to remember that it might've been linked to the 2CD version of the game, and possibly having to do with the way it uncompresses the 2CD files, though not sure about it. The usual solution suggested was to just have Pox send you to the 2nd floor, rather than talking to the Dustmen.

Good luck nailing it! I'd love to see that one killed once and for all.

Qwinn

#124 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:06 AM

Ya, it's one I've wanted to have a save game for awhile. It is definitely linked to failure to uncompress AR0202.cbf so only affects 2CD version. Hopefully, this is same 2cd problem that happens with those shops in Wards. I'll post details when I figure it out but for now all you need is to keep copy of AR0202.bif in cache folder.

Edited by scient, 12 May 2010 - 10:07 AM.

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#125 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:17 PM

scient, are you sure the problem isn't with AR0201.CBF? AR0202 is the second floor of the mortuary, and AR0201 is the first floor. IIRC, asking the guard to let you in, which is where the crashing is occuring, is supposed to put you in AR0201.ARE. The Pox method, which is the workaround that people don't seem to have a problem with, -that- is the one that puts you on AR0202.ARE.

#126 lac

lac
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:28 PM

For what it is worth, I have the 2 cd version of PST, and having joined the Dustmen faction, I can get the guards to let me into the mortuary without crashing.

#127 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:07 AM

scient, are you sure the problem isn't with AR0201.CBF? AR0202 is the second floor of the mortuary, and AR0201 is the first floor. IIRC, asking the guard to let you in, which is where the crashing is occuring, is supposed to put you in AR0201.ARE. The Pox method, which is the workaround that people don't seem to have a problem with, -that- is the one that puts you on AR0202.ARE.

Hmmm, well then for some reason it's trying to access AR0202 incorrectly and causes crash. Using guard to get you in unpacks AR0200 and AR0201 into your cache folder. For whatever reason AR0202 isn't successfully unpacked so when code tries to access the non-existent bif it crashes game. I'll have to see why Pox method works but guard one doesn't. It may have to do with Pox you die while guard uses TeleportParty (I think that's script command).

@lac: But do you have AR0202.bif in your cache directory?

#128 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:16 AM

You don't necessarily die via the Pox method, you can just "fake being a deader". I think that uses TeleportParty also.

Qwinn

#129 lac

lac
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:49 AM

@lac: But do you have AR0202.bif in your cache directory?

Yes.  So whatever is causing it not to be unpacked properly isn't happening to me.

Edited by lac, 14 May 2010 - 05:51 AM.

#130 -bloodaxis-

-bloodaxis-

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:25 PM

I have this weird CTD whenever I try to explore the lower half of the art shop in the clerks ward, and the red statue to the right. I have no clue what's causing it and would be more than willing to provide a savegame/more info if someone wants to look into it. :P

#131 Takar

Takar
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:58 PM

Hey all, newcomer here!

First of all, I'd like to congratulate everyone who worked on this. Planescape is a truly wonderful game and your work is just as wonderful. You've breathe new life in it, and I admire that.

However (there are always howevers) I get a few crashes and I was wondering if you could help.

-I've got in Old Mabeth's hut a few times, but now, whenever I rest there, she asks me about dreams. I end the dialog and when I head out, bam, CTD.

-Whenever I get in the Art gallery in the Clerk's Ward, I get a CTD after a few seconds, no matter my actions.

-I've got another one in the advocate's house, but I can't replicate it (yay!)

I run the following:

Planescape Torment 1.1
Widescreen Mod (1920*1080)
Ghostdog's UI mod
Qwinn's Unfinished Business
Quinn's Ultimate WeiDU Fixpack
Quinn's Tweak Pack

My PC's running on Windows 7 64-bits with an ATI video card.

Your help is appreciated!

#132 -Felipe-

-Felipe-

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:11 AM

i may wrong but Qwinn recommends to install his fixpack first in order to prepare the path for the other mods, may this will solve your problem, or not.

Scient: Ollydbg final was released, i dont know if the old plugins will work on it but i'd recommend to try to be sure. ;)

#133 Takar

Takar
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:37 AM

Felipe: Oh, that might be it. I don't recall in what order I installed the mods.

Will my saved games be compatible on a fresh reinstall with a new mod order?

**EDIT: Just tried a brand new installation, still doesn't work. Any other ideas?

Edited by Takar, 13 June 2010 - 01:21 PM.

#134 -Felipe-

-Felipe-

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:40 PM

hmm, what's the configuration of your computer? If you have vista or 7 it's not recommended to install the game in the Program Files directory because it's a protected one. You got all the latest Fixpack, UB and Tweaks' Packages? Btw, you need to post savegames right before the place where the game crashes so Qwinn or scient can get a look at these problems to see if they are related to any of the packages or to the game itself (i dont believe i didnt notice this before :/ )

#135 Takar

Takar
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 03:15 PM

I've tried a brand new installation with redownloaded mods/fixes in a folder other than my Program Files. Still didn't work.

Here's my saved game. It's right in front of the Art and Curio Galleria so you'll be able to experiment the bug a few second after loading. Just get in the Galleria and wait wait/move around/talk/whatever for a few seconds and you should crash to desktop.

Here's my configuration:

AMD Phenom X4 965
ATI Radeon HD5850
4GB of RAM (Can't recall which brand/model)

Windows 7 64-Bits English installed on a 1.5TB HDD

My Planescape is the 4CD version, English.

Many thanks for your help!

EDIT: I'm downloading a 2CD version of the game. Just in case I have some corrupted files. I'll post the results.

Attached Files

Edited by Takar, 13 June 2010 - 03:58 PM.

#136 onemonk

onemonk
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:48 PM

I've tried a brand new installation with redownloaded mods/fixes in a folder other than my Program Files. Still didn't work.

Here's my saved game. It's right in front of the Art and Curio Galleria so you'll be able to experiment the bug a few second after loading. Just get in the Galleria and wait wait/move around/talk/whatever for a few seconds and you should crash to desktop.

Here's my configuration:

AMD Phenom X4 965
ATI Radeon HD5850
4GB of RAM (Can't recall which brand/model)

Windows 7 64-Bits English installed on a 1.5TB HDD

My Planescape is the 4CD version, English.

Many thanks for your help!

EDIT: I'm downloading a 2CD version of the game. Just in case I have some corrupted files. I'll post the results.

Having same issues (Mebeth and art museum), same configuration. Intel instead of AMD. DVD version with patch is what I used.

#137 -mkultra-

-mkultra-

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:56 AM

it crashes for me too if i go into the Art and Curio Galleria, i have the 4 CD version. Intel Core2Duo @ 3.8Ghz, 4GB ram, Win7 x86. ATi 4870x2.

I tried removing the files in cache/temp.. tried all different compability modes and different settings in the .ini.. still no luck.

im not sure its the fixpack.. i googled it and someone said he narrowed it down to the widescreen mod.

#138 -tormentor-

-tormentor-

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:15 AM

im not sure its the fixpack.. i googled it and someone said he narrowed it down to the widescreen mod.

Exactly the same problems!!
Win7 64bit. Core i5, some new graphcard, 4gb mem.

Crash at Mebbeths. I have it so that.. after asking for heal, if I leave the hut = crash. If after healing I rest and buy something (blood charm usually) then I can leave the hut with no crash.
Crash at Art Curio happens after few seconds inside the place. I was able to touch the finger freezing sculpture and walk a couple of steps before crashing.
Some random unrepeatable crashes also occur, but they are ok since quick save works ;)

Don't know if I could live without the widescreen mod. Playing this from my 55 inch led atm. XD

It's super that people recognize the creativity put into this game still after all these years!

Keep it up :)

#139 -tormentor-

-tormentor-

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:17 AM

sry forgot:

4 CD version, with the same upgrade path as above. Widescreen mod @ 1920x1080

#140 -Dae-

-Dae-

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:09 AM

Greetings, forum! And many congratulations to those responsible for putting together this fixpack, awesome work :)
Unfortunately, I'm having an issue with it: the game crashes each and every time I load a saved game; only starting a new game seems to work.
I'm running the 2CD version and my system is an AMD Athlon64 at 2.4Ghz, Nvidia GeForce 9500GT, 2GB of RAM, Windows XP.
The unmodded game worked like a charm so far; no video settings to tweak, no other crashes, no errors.
After installing the fixpack, as I said, it crashes when I try to load a saved game, at about 10%-15% loaded. New game loads fine though.
I uninstalled the fixpack, and things are back to normal. I can load as usual.
I'd really like to be able to use the fixpack though. Any thoughts?
Thanks a lot!

PS: I just made an additional experiment that might prove useful. With the pack installed, I started a new game, walked around a bit and saved. Then exited the game, re-entered, and succesfully loaded that save I'd just made. It still crashed when attempting to load my previous (pre-fix-installation) saves. Hope that helps!