Photo

Please report crashes here

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#141 -Gnarls-

-Gnarls-

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:57 AM

Hi there!

First of all: Great work! I'm getting into PS:T for the first time and it's awesome to be able to play such an advanced version of the game. Now the problem... I experience some random crashes to desktop when entering a new area (Angyar's house for example). If I restart the game and load the autosave slot (which is created successfully) i can usually enter the place without problems. It only happened 3 or 4 times now and only when entering a new area.
I've got the 4 CD US copy of the game and set it up as described in that sticky topic found here (except i didn't install Unfinished Business and the Tweaks Pack). Windows event viewer tells me this:

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74   Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c   ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 74 6f 72   ure  tor
0018: 6d 65 6e 74 2e 65 78 65   ment.exe
0020: 20 31 2e 30 2e 30 2e 31    1.0.0.1
0028: 20 69 6e 20 74 6f 72 6d    in torm
0030: 65 6e 74 2e 65 78 65 20   ent.exe 
0038: 31 2e 30 2e 30 2e 31 20   1.0.0.1 
0040: 61 74 20 6f 66 66 73 65   at offse
0048: 74 20 30 30 31 38 39 34   t 001894
0050: 61 33 0d 0a               a3..    

OS is Windows XP SP 3 by the way. Any help is very much appreciated.

Gnarls

#142 Stitched

Stitched
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:28 AM

Have been playing the GOG version of "Planescape: Torment" for a week or so now and have been loving it (Fix files, Widescreen mod, etc.) but am getting a reproducible crash in the Art Gallery in Clerk's Ward. From many attempts at changing 3D acceleration, running the game in a virtual machine, changing in-game settings, the game always crashes.

Studying it further, entering the Art Gallery and stopping any movement, the game crashes out whenever the male NPC, starting behind Yvana in the shadows, appears into line-of-sight. If I decide to run along the north part of the museum, the crash occurs at the same moment. Same problem running towards Yvana; as soon as the NPC is revealed, the game crashes.

*** Addendum ***

Repeated quicksaving and clearing out the cache and temp files allowed me to continue playing. Map file corruption perhaps?

Running the game on Windows XP 32-bit / 2 GB RAM / GeForce GTX 285 at 1600x1200 resolution with UI resolution set to 80%.

Edited by Stitched, 19 December 2010 - 11:25 AM.

#143 panaceator

panaceator
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:32 PM

Art Gallery Crash:

I have the GOG.com version installed. See attached for WeiDU.log
I have a Windows 7 X64 setup, Phenom II, Radeon 5750 using catalyst 10.9.

See JPG below for area that crashes the game if anyone walks into it. The Clerksward citizen staring at the painting in the center walks into that area fairly quickly causing the crash without user input.
I have been able to work around this by blocking the path with my other party members with lackluster results.
I then went in and found his script to be 0608PAT4.BCS contained within CS_0608.BIF. Gutting the parts of the loop where he walks around will "fix" it so people can walk around in the curio as long as they don't hit the red area in the picture attached.

Attached Images

• The No Zone.jpg

Attached Files

Edited by panaceator, 23 December 2010 - 08:37 PM.

#144 Comdessert

Comdessert
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:08 PM

Hey folks,

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm having the same problem as panaceator is describing, and also the issue with regular crashes when leaving Mabbeth's. I'm running the version from GOG.com with the recommended mods (widescreen, UI, fixpack, unfinished business and tweaks mods) installed. ASUS 4870, Win 7-64bit.

- CD

Art Gallery Crash:

I have the GOG.com version installed. See attached for WeiDU.log
I have a Windows 7 X64 setup, Phenom II, Radeon 5750 using catalyst 10.9.

See JPG below for area that crashes the game if anyone walks into it. The Clerksward citizen staring at the painting in the center walks into that area fairly quickly causing the crash without user input.

Edited by Comdessert, 31 December 2010 - 10:43 AM.

#145 Comdessert

Comdessert
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:42 AM

Hey again,

For what it's worth, I was able to get the game to stop CTD when I entered the art gallery by uninstalling the widescreen mod. A couple dialogue options with Yvana (Kyton chain and the wizard statue) cause assertion errors but otherwise it worked.

Unfortunately, something went wrong with the reinstallation of Ghostdog's UI mod. After I reinstalled the widescreen mod, the UI mod wouldn't detect the widescreen mod.

Oh well, I'm going to reinstall and try not using the widescreen and UI mods, and use the D3DWindower, hopefully that will work!

- CD

#146 Mad Mate

Mad Mate
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:41 PM

Hi, I have been playing PS:T for some time, had few crashes, but everything worked on reload until now. When I try to go from Foundry (Ar0503) up the stairs to see Sandoz (I think it is AR0511) game crashes to desktop. I have 2cd version.

Here is my Weidu log:

Spoiler

Thank you for any help.

FIXED!!!
I fixed it by using "AR0511.bif" from 4CD version and copying it to cache dir. It seems like "AR0511.cbf" from my 2CD version can't be unpacked for some reason.

Is there a way to test this file?

It is not that important now, but I would like to know is it file or whole game install problem.

Thanx!!

Edited by Mad Mate, 17 January 2011 - 08:10 AM.

#147 Mad Mate

Mad Mate
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:55 PM

One more thing that I discovered. Similar solution like post above. Maybe it will help other people with crashes.

I had now some crash with Siege Tower (Assertion failed In D:\Torment\source\chitin\ChVidPal.cpp at line number 1124). It happens every time.
So I checked my cache dir and there wasn't "AR0501.bif" file (Siege Tower). I copied that file from 4CD version disk to the cache dir and game worked, even new animations in room and NO ERROR!!!

I noticed that lot of people have same or similar errors and crashes. Mine had to do with not properly unpacking cbf files. I know 2CD version has them, and maybe GOG version also.

Hope this helps somebody.

#148 -joad-

-joad-

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:51 AM

I've been having the same problem with the art gallery with almost the exact same setup:
Widescreen Mod (1920*1200)
Ghostdog's UI mod
Ghostdog's widescreen mod
Qwinn's Unfinished Business
Quinn's Ultimate WeiDU Fixpack
Quinn's Tweak Pack

Win7 64-bit, intel quad core

Load in and then after a few seconds it CTDs. I tried uninstalling the widescreen mod and then playing and immediately when the gallery would load I would get an error in the CPVisibility.cpp file, not sure what line though.

#149 -Abschalten-

-Abschalten-

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:37 PM

Same problem here. I'm using the 2CD version on Win7 with the usual add-ins. I enter the Curio shop, and whenever that idiot person walks into the right side of the gallery it crashes. I know that area is necessary for a couple quests and it's frustrating that I can't go in there to take care of business. I even tried uninstalling the UI mod but it still crashes.

#150 -Marceror-

-Marceror-

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:23 AM

I was having this problem with the curio gallery as well, using Bigg's Widescreen Mod and Ghostdog's UI mod, running on Win7 64-bit. I just reinstalled the Widescren mod from 1920x1080 resolution to 1680x1050 and voila... no more crashes in the Curio gallery (at least not so far... but I've walked all around and looked at several pieces of art).

Hopefully this change will rectify many of the random crashes I've been getting when entering smaller buildings (e.g. Marta's hut, Lothar's home, etc). It doesn't look as sharp in this resolution, but if it keeps the game from crashing.... In 1920 resolution it's amazing how crisp NO, Dak'kon and other characters appear... not so much in 1680... but still a FAR CRY from the game's original resolution.

I was most impressed with the fact that Bigg's mod re-install took care of uninstalling and reinstalling Ghostgod's mod on my behalf. Nice job both of you on creating 2 fundamentally important mods for keeping PS:T alive. And while I'm at it, I greatly enjoyed Widescreen mod during a BG2 runthrough and an IWD2 runthrough. It's a *must have* for IE games... even if there are a few quirks here and there getting these games to run in modern resolutions.

#151 -lefthandblack-

-lefthandblack-

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:59 PM

I'm having this problem as well. I can confirm that it occurs when anyone walks into the highlighted area as posted above.

Running the GOG version on Win7 64 with the recommended mods from the GOG guide.

I was initially playing at 1920x1200 and uninstalled/reinstalled everything at 1680x1050 and the crash persists.

#152 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:35 AM

Hi, I have been playing PS:T for some time, had few crashes, but everything worked on reload until now. When I try to go from Foundry (Ar0503) up the stairs to see Sandoz (I think it is AR0511) game crashes to desktop. I have 2cd version.

Here is my Weidu log:

Thank you for any help.

FIXED!!!
I fixed it by using "AR0511.bif" from 4CD version and copying it to cache dir. It seems like "AR0511.cbf" from my 2CD version can't be unpacked for some reason.

Is there a way to test this file?

It is not that important now, but I would like to know is it file or whole game install problem.

Thanx!!

Hi.
I also got exactly this problem, in the same area.
I reported it to the widescreen forum; I also solved the problem by using the 4cd version. BTW, the area worked without problems before installing the WideScreenMod.
Perhaps, you'd better report widescreen-related issues there; the problem could indeed have to do with cbs files.

Could anyone using the GOG version please look into their game folder and see if they have some files with .cbf extension? That would be really helpful, TIA.

Besides, I also experimented some other crashes while entering small areas; usually, clearing the cache was enough, a part from that foundry issue.

Edited by Turambar, 04 April 2011 - 07:38 AM.

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#153 Mad Mate

Mad Mate
  • 191 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:20 PM

Hi.
I also got exactly this problem, in the same area.
I reported it to the widescreen forum; I also solved the problem by using the 4cd version. BTW, the area worked without problems before installing the WideScreenMod.
Perhaps, you'd better report widescreen-related issues there; the problem could indeed have to do with cbs files.

Could anyone using the GOG version please look into their game folder and see if they have some files with .cbf extension? That would be really helpful, TIA.

Besides, I also experimented some other crashes while entering small areas; usually, clearing the cache was enough, a part from that foundry issue.

Hi!

I finished my PS:T game with just 2 problems I mentioned up there:

-AR0511 (no bif in cache dir, area didn't load --> CTD without info)
-AR0501 (no bif in cache dir but area loaded (maybe directly from cbf?!?! or from overide), no animations in room --> CTD after few seconds with (Assertion failed In D:\Torment\source\chitin\ChVidPal.cpp at line number 1124))

Both were solved by copying bifs from 4CD version. I asked (link) for some CBF2BIF tool to test files and fearless kindly made one (link) Thanx, fearless!! :)

So, I tested my cbfs and they were OK, ie unpacked bifs were identical to bifs from 4CD version.

I don't know what was reason for crashes. I can assume, but I don't have that much computer knowledge.
Maybe clue could be that when I started AR0501 (Siege Tower) there were no animations in room but when I copied bif in cache dir there were flames in front Coaxmetal and game didn't crashed.
If widescreen mod copy some files from bifs in overide folder, maybe game don't load missing files from cbfs and it crashes. Just assumption, don't know.

My widescreen res was 1280x768.

P.S.
I read you other posts now (sorry) and I confirm that I also couldn't enter the Mortuary alive. But I used alternative (Pox), so I didn't test anything.

Edited by Mad Mate, 04 April 2011 - 12:43 PM.

#154 -Joel-

-Joel-

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:55 PM

I am playing PST with all fixpacks and everything on a windows 7 OS (resolution set at X768 Y1024) with an Nvidia FX5500 video card, from the beginning of the game up to the point before entering Angyar's House all was smooth sailing. But...As I try to enter Angyar's House the game crashes, if I save right before going in, the next time I start the game and enter Angyar's it works fine and the game went on smoothly again until I go to the Alley of Dangerous Angles, upon trying to enter the ruined cathedral for the Mar's Box Quest the game again crashes, I tried to find something similar to these problems here in the forum but haven't had a lot of time to search exclusively for a possible solution, it would help if somone might know where it may be on here if it is in the forum and help me out I would greatly appreciate any feedback or solution. Seems like entering the new buildings or entering new area's crashes the game. the above are the only two so far I've experienced at this time. Any suggestions?

Thank you and thanks so much for all the work and great fixpacks and this great forum community with awesome people and tons of great info.

#155 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:40 AM

I am playing PST with all fixpacks and everything on a windows 7 OS (resolution set at X768 Y1024) with an Nvidia FX5500 video card, from the beginning of the game up to the point before entering Angyar's House all was smooth sailing. But...As I try to enter Angyar's House the game crashes, if I save right before going in, the next time I start the game and enter Angyar's it works fine and the game went on smoothly again until I go to the Alley of Dangerous Angles, upon trying to enter the ruined cathedral for the Mar's Box Quest the game again crashes, I tried to find something similar to these problems here in the forum but haven't had a lot of time to search exclusively for a possible solution, it would help if somone might know where it may be on here if it is in the forum and help me out I would greatly appreciate any feedback or solution. Seems like entering the new buildings or entering new area's crashes the game. the above are the only two so far I've experienced at this time. Any suggestions?

Thank you and thanks so much for all the work and great fixpacks and this great forum community with awesome people and tons of great info.

Are you using 2cd or 4cd/dvd version of the game?
Anyway, I have also had random crashes with widescreen, but usually just reloading the auto-save just before solves the problem, so it's not a serious issue (a part from AR5011, see above; please tell me if you manage to get there; it's the upper floor of the inner part of the foundry area, better known as Sandoz area; you need it to become a Godsman).

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#156 -Joel-

-Joel-

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:55 PM

Anyway, I have also had random crashes with widescreen, but usually just reloading the auto-save just before solves the problem, so it's not a serious issue (a part from AR5011, see above; please tell me if you manage to get there; it's the upper floor of the inner part of the foundry area, better known as Sandoz area; you need it to become a Godsman).

#157 -Joel-

-Joel-

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:05 PM

Hi, Thanks for the reply, My appologies I am using the 2 CD version of the game. I noticed the crashes when entering or leaving areas, sometimes the game crashes and sometimes it doesn't, but as you stated saving before entering the areas seems to be a good idea each time. As for the area you are talking about (the upper floor of the foundry, Sandoz Area)I will defintely let you know if I get there and any issues I may encounter. Again I send my thanks.

#158 i30817

i30817
  • 611 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:53 PM

Did you load old saves after installing or uninstalling a mod (especially the widescreen mod)?

You can't. You need to start a new game.

#159 -joel-

-joel-

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:00 AM

Did you load old saves after installing or uninstalling a mod (especially the widescreen mod)?

You can't. You need to start a new game.

This was a freshly started game after all mods and fixpacks were installed, including the widescreen mod,no save games or anything. The game runs fine with all of them until I try to enter a new area at certain spots, there have actually been 3 crashes I can account for during my game play SO FAR. The game crashed after leaving the Mortuary by the portal using the crooked finger bone. going through the portal did not crash the game but leaving the tomb through that exit to go to the outer hive area did. Game play was smooth and problem free until entering Angyar's house during his Contract Quest, then it crashed again at the entrance to The Ruined Catedral during the Mar's Box Quest. I had gone through all entrances/exits like the Smoldering Corpse Bar, Gathering Dust Bar, entrance and exiting with no crashes, basically all other areas in the Mortuary area of the hive except those 3 so far.

#160 -joel-

-joel-

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:27 AM

okay, I played all the way through from the previous crash at the Ruined Cathedral up to Ragpicker's Square, talked to Marrow-Friend, Yellow Fingers, went into the hut and killed for the way out and left, then went down and talked to carver then went to enter sharegraves and the game crashed again this is my 4th crash. I forgot to save before entering but the game auto saved when I entered Ragpicker's Square, so not so much lost in game play luckily. These crashes are annoying but tollerable as long as you save before entering places or new areas and don't forget like I have a couple times (LOL)This Game Is So Awsome now! Thanks again for the great work.