Photo

Please report crashes here

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#161 -BBadger-

-BBadger-

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:51 PM

Recently, I've been playing a 2-CD version of the PST that I had downloaded many years ago (I owned the 4-CD version of the game but didn't want to copy the files). I installed the widescreen v3.05 mod and the Ghostdog PST UI mod to improve the gaming experience, but against all advice, I continued playing with my converted saved games.

I predictably noticed some crashes, especially in areas that others had witnessed them: inside the siege tower with Coaxmetal, and when I attempted to reenter the Mortuary. Bear with me, this isn't to whine about crashes.

Desperate to finish the game, I found my old 4-CD version of the game and copied all the CDs to the hard drive, and modified my Torment.ini to point to these CDs, while leaving the HD0 line pointing to the normal Torment directory.

All the crashes went away. I also noticed some of the animations have returned (e.g. the fire in Coaxmetal's siege tower), though others have not (the spinning gears at the foundry).

Have any others had this experience?

#162 capZom

capZom
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:33 AM

Huge thanks to Mad Mate for providing a fix for The Foundry Area "3"!

Also, I was wondering, is changing the Widescreen/Ghostdog UI settings going to corrupt the save files?

#163 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:23 AM

The widescreen specifically asks if you want to convert saved games; have a look at the readme.
The UI should only change the interface files and not game files (which are the ones stored in saved games), so that should not be a problem.

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#164 capZom

capZom
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:22 AM

I figured as much, but better safe than sorry.
Now I'm having trouble with leaving the Siege Tower, due to the missing AR0501.bif in the cache dir.
I guess I need the one from the 4CD version, because I can't extract it from AR0501.cbf I have now. AR0511.bif I found online, but I can't find this one anywhere.
PS: This is the error I'm getting when I try to use the cbf2bif extractor provided by fearless

Edited by capZom, 29 January 2012 - 10:49 AM.

#165 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:13 AM

Huge thanks to Mad Mate for providing a fix for The Foundry Area "3"!

Also, I was wondering, is changing the Widescreen/Ghostdog UI settings going to corrupt the save files?

Changing the resolution of the widescreen mod during a playthrough will result to crashing when entering small areas you had previously entered. That's why each time you change the resolution you should start a new game.

I figured as much, but better safe than sorry.
Now I'm having trouble with leaving the Siege Tower, due to the missing AR0501.bif in the cache dir.
I guess I need the one from the 4CD version, because I can't extract it from AR0501.cbf I have now. AR0511.bif I found online, but I can't find this one anywhere.
PS: This is the error I'm getting when I try to use the cbf2bif extractor provided by fearless

Here it is : http://www.mediafire...owdf9471au0mqn4

#166 capZom

capZom
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

Thanks, works like a charm.

#167 -Kamil-

-Kamil-

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:00 PM

See JPG below for area that crashes the game if anyone walks into it. The Clerksward citizen staring at the painting in the center walks into that area fairly quickly causing the crash without user input.
I have been able to work around this by blocking the path with my other party members with lackluster results.
I then went in and found his script to be 0608PAT4.BCS contained within CS_0608.BIF. Gutting the parts of the loop where he walks around will "fix" it so people can walk around in the curio as long as they don't hit the red area in the picture attached.

Thank you! That was a wonderful solution :)

#168 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

To anyone that has been having issues with the Yvana art gallery crash, please let me know. I've come up with tentative fix thanks to help of cyberneticbarry on GOG forums who let me remote into his system to debug it. It helped me track down section of code that is using hardcoded values of 640x480. After updating them to resolution that he was currently using (1920x1080), the crash went away. So, I'd like to see if I can reproduce this with anyone else. This looks like something that should probably go into Widescreen mod specific to PST. I've yet to figure out what exactly this function is doing or why only some people experience the crash. It looks like it's looping through obj id's, maybe triggers. So using res of 640x480 ends up causing the game to try and access memory that doesn't exist with WS mod enabled.

http://www.gog.com/e...allery_crashes/

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#169 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

I was able to reproduce the gallery crash with a clean install of game using latest of all mods. This crash is definitely related to a particular game function using incorrect screen resolution. So game "thinks" it is still using 640x480 to calculate some values but with WS mod installed, the screen is actually say 1920x1080. This causes the values to get messed up and you end up with game trying to access invalid memory (ie. crash). It may be that only larger resolutions run into this problem because I don't remember having this same issue with 1280x800. And maybe this crash only happens in certain areas which would explain why it isn’t more widespread. However, I can easily see this particular function as cause for other unexplained crashes.

The function that is affected has to do with calculating "Wall Polygons" from area WED files. It actually crashes trying to obtain "polygon index count" from memory. I plan on doing some more analysis to figure out what goes wrong just to get a better idea. However, this is definitely a fix that should go into next version of WS mod.

http://iesdp.com/Ies...WEDV1_3_Polygon

For anyone who is interested in testing this, here is patch data. I would really appreciate feedback of anyone using WS mod that is having game crashing a lot. Let me know if you need assistance applying it (you'll need hex editor and basic understanding of hex).

search: B9 80 02 00 00 F7 F9 89 45 BC 8B 95 D8 FE FF FF 8B 82 F0 00 00 00 99 B9 80 02 00 00
search: B9 E0 01 00 00 F7 F9 89 45 A0 8B 95 D8 FE FF FF 8B 82 F4 00 00 00 99 B9 E0 01 00 00
search: B9 80 02 00 00 F7 F9 89 85 68 FF FF FF 8B 55 18 8B 42 04 99 B9 E0 01 00 00
search: B9 80 02 00 00 F7 F9 89 85 70 FF FF FF 8B 55 18 8B 42 0C 99 B9 E0 01 00 00

replace:
80 02 00 00 -> 0x0280 -> 640 -> x coord big endian hex
E0 01 00 00 -> 0x01E0 -> 480 -> y coord big endian hex

edit:
Wall Groups should be Wall Polygons.

Edited by scient, 07 February 2012 - 09:57 PM.

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#170 -Astoril-

-Astoril-

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:15 AM

I had the same problem with the gallery crash and I did your hexa change, now it works just fine in the area.
Thank you Scient

#171 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

Good to hear. Could you post your OS and what resolution you patch the game to?

#172 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

The same saved game that was crashing at the gallery, also was crashing at Mebbeth's hut trying to enter it. After applying fix, no more crash. I'm curious with those experienced playing the game at higher resolutions, is it normal for smaller areas to be displayed in top left corner? Or are they suppose to be centered? It's been awhile since the last time I actually played through the game with WS/UI mod so can't remember.

http://i.imgur.com/WU3L9.png

#173 -Astoril-

-Astoril-

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

I'm running the game on win7 in 1680*1050. I had problem exiting Mebbeth's hut too where it crashed everytime but I have not tested if it works now.

#174 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:26 PM

Yah, please see if Mebbeth hut works now. I'm hoping this fix will solve most of the recent crashy behavior.

#175 -Astoril-

-Astoril-

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:39 AM

I confirm it works with Mebbeth's hut now

#176 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

Good to hear, I think this one fix will solve the majority of crashes that PST has been experiencing lately (or at least I hope). Let me know if you run into any or any areas that no longer crash.

Once I do some more analysis and confirm a few more things (just to be complete), going to put together patch data for bigg to include as part of WS mod so this issue will be sorted once and for all.

Edited by scient, 09 February 2012 - 05:40 PM.

#177 -Astoril-

-Astoril-

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

Played a bit more today and I still noticed 2 known issue (I think) :
-Crash in siege tower whenever I tried to save the game
-Crash in the foundry when I did the dream machine quest and when I was using the stair icon to talk to the NPC.
Both solved in adding the AR0511.bif and AR0501.bif files in cache folder

(I use the 2CD version)

#178 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

Well, I can look into those crashes. Are the crashes reproducible if you remove the bif files? And could you upload a saved game someplace before crash?

#179 Astoril

Astoril
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:19 AM

The first crash in siege tower is easily reproductible (just try to save in it) and give me an error code (where D is my DVD-Rom):
"an assertion failed in D:\Torment\Source\chitin\ChVidPal.cpp at line number 1124"

But the others crash in foundry are a bit more random but if you run long enough in it you should get crash.

The problem was already mentionned in the 8th page of this topic and seem to be a problem with .cbf file don't unpacking in .bif file in cache folder (hence why I known which files was in cause ^^). Seem to be only a 2CD problem too.
Still it was weird that my game crashed only when saving in siege tower, maybe a problem hiding in another problem ?

Here is my save http://www.mediafire...htudh7anx65gmhp

#180 -JamesofN-

-JamesofN-

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:46 AM

How do I apply this hex patch? Which file would I be applying it to, Torment.exe?