Hisyune [Deceased]

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#61 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:12 AM

If it helps, remember that on loosing his soul, Irenicus began to lose more than that. The capability for feelings, or at least love(as he tells Ellisime he used to cling to the memory of his love for her, though he does seem capable of rage, annoyance, and other negative emotions, if it is extremely difficult to arouse it.)

Other than that, it seems that the soul is required for resurrection in DnD cannon, so it is perhaps part of the life force, or, as Azzy phrased it, a battery, as well.

Really though, we could go round in circles for days bringing in real world or Faerunian arguments for what the soul is. And, as mentioned, the ultimate choice for this mod, is hers. I'm sure she(hmm, I kinda assumed you're a she because of Avvy, please tell me I'm not making a fool of myself and insulting you) will do what she thinks is best, and that she will have considered the problem before she does.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#62 Thanatos.

Thanatos.
  • 474 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:22 PM

a) She only lost half her soul (if such a thing is possible) allowing her to still be resurected, and losing (most) emotion, slowly. Makes great PC talks.
b) An NPC, like a Construct Cleric or such, could "rebuild" her when she dies. Could also have this as a new spell.
c) After 8 hours her body will auto-repair (such as said in her banters(?)) and ress by itself.
d) We continue in the whole hitler-soul-subconscious-mind-thingy debate.

#63 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:52 AM

D)!

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#64 witya

witya
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 08:27 AM

Resurrection by itself is a bit too powerful imo, so staying with this "Construct Cleric" thing may be a good idea. Though I think that a "Construct Cleric" is actually a wizard. ^^ Afterall, wizards create golems and stuff like that, so there could be a spell for "maintaining" them as well, a "Recreation" spell, or something like that. But this also brings up another interesting question... do healing spells work on her?
"I love myself and I have no reason to doubt my feelings..."

#65 -Death Folder-

-Death Folder-

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:30 AM

They probably will, yes, if only for simplicity's sake. If I am able to code it so that conventional healing spells and potions will not work on her, I will probably give her an "emergency self-repair program" special skill so she has a bit more chance in battle.

Resurrection will probably be something like bringing her body back to someone who is able to repair her... similar to taking a fallen comrade to a temple, really. Would there be an equivalent to the "raise dead" spell? Perhaps for intelligent PC's who have studied how she works (probably becoming available as special skill after a sequence of conversations with her). If coding allows: a full repair, whichever method you use, takes 8 hours or something like that.

Edited by Death Folder, 29 November 2008 - 10:31 AM.

#66 Icendoan

Icendoan

• 1723 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:35 AM

Immunity to Spell opcode would do it, I think. (I think it exists, I didn't really check)

Icen

#67 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:06 AM

Immunity to Spell opcode would do it, I think. (I think it exists, I didn't really check)

Icen

There's a "protection from specific spell" opcode, which you want to use if you want her to be unraiseable except by a special NPC. Unfortunately she'll need a separate instance of this effect for every possible raised-from-dead spell and some of them (IE rod of resurrection) may not even work on the basis of spells. You can't just give her a blanket immunity to resurrection or else she'd never be resurrectable at all (unless the spell to resurrect her used the Mass Raise Dead opcode, which would be epic-exploitable). I have an idea about how this might sensibly be done but I don't have time to type it out right now.

You could, however, give her an immunity to the "Stat: Current HP modifier" opcode and use the "HP: Damage" opcode with negative values in order to "repair" her.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#68 -Death Folder-

-Death Folder-

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:05 AM

It's okay. I probably wouldn't understand (yet) even if you typed it out. :) Though I'm happy to hear such things are all possible. :D

#69 Icendoan

Icendoan

• 1723 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:18 AM

Well, there are workarounds to a specific problem, but all have flaws.

The mass Resurrect opcode not only would resurrect all party members, making it cheesy out of battle, or Hisyune in battle, should someone use the spell.

Icen

#70 -Death Folder-

-Death Folder-

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:42 AM

Yeah, I suppose I will just have to select the best one, if I can find it.

#71 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:45 AM

Yeah, I suppose I will just have to select the best one, if I can find it.

One option would be simply not making her resurrectable at all. Alternatively, study the coding for the Bodhi Abduction related stuff closely.

Also, they're cables. Not wires.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#72 Thanatos.

Thanatos.
  • 474 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:46 AM

*shrug* Whazzadiferense?

#73 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:59 AM

*shrug* Whazzadiferense?

The same as the difference between a can and a six-pack.

Anyway, my thought was that it might be possible to set her up so she'd essentially go comatose and have to be picked up by the party (by dialogue with her comatose but non-dead character model) and taken somewhere to be "repaired" before she'd be anything other than an inventory item again.

#74 Thanatos.

Thanatos.
  • 474 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:20 AM

Good idea ^_^ But what happens when everyone has a full inventory?! :( (Yes, I know its rare, but when your solo'ing it happens.)

#75 Lykainon

Lykainon

Extraordinary in a way your puny mortal brain cannot grasp.

• 198 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:27 AM

What happens if you tell your familiar to get in your pack with a full inventory? Or for that matter, what happens to the poisoned Harper-guy in the same situation? Now, I don't know the answer but I suppose it could give some ideas.
"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meet the rising ape."

- Death, Hogfather (Terry Pratchett)

Arr! There be a pirate in the making!

#76 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:02 AM

An item from your inventory is automatically moved to the ground and the item in question is inserted in its place, as I recall.

#77 Sebastian

Sebastian
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:12 AM

An item from your inventory is automatically moved to the ground and the item in question is inserted in its place, as I recall.

Specifically, the item occupying the first slot in the inventory is dropped.

Yes, I thought I'd barge in here and voice my uncalled for opinion.

I say you shouldn't make her resurrectable AT ALL. She's a construct and thus she wouldn't have many organs to heal or souls to stick back inside her power core.

However, you could use the effect to make her never go below 1 hit point( As I recall, there IS such an effect), and when she does reach 1 hit point, she gets scrapped( You could use the polymorph effect to change her into something that looks like a pile of junk LOL, and reduce her movement, attacks, regeneration(if any, and whatever else to 0). :devil: As in, she becomes incapacitated and every hit she takes after that has a X% chance of destroying her core, (which, let's assume for the sake of argument, contains either the power source, the repairing protocols or both), thus resulting in a CHUNKED DEATH that inherently removes any chance of her coming back to existence.

Also, a dialog could take place where the PC could get the plans for her complete structure and in the case she gets scrapped, after the battle, the PC or someone of high enough intelligence could use those plans to reconnect her main parts with her core, thus re-enabling the repairing process to do its thing( Heals 5% HP maybe?)

This repairing protocol that you mentioned could also give her a small regeneration perhaps? Not too high, but it would be consistent with the concept.

Nice idea by the way.

//Sebastian

Edited by Sebastian, 01 December 2008 - 05:13 AM.

#78 -Death Folder-

-Death Folder-

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:25 AM

Regeneration, perhaps, though a slow one. I don't wish to make her too powerful. Your resurrection idea (or better, the lack of revival) is interesting, though I'm uncertain if the code will allow it. I'm secretly hoping at least one method will work decently.

#79 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:39 AM

Regeneration, perhaps, though a slow one. I don't wish to make her too powerful. Your resurrection idea (or better, the lack of revival) is interesting, though I'm uncertain if the code will allow it. I'm secretly hoping at least one method will work decently.

As long as you're comfortable with using an unconscious animation for her "scrapped" state and don't have your heart set on a "junkyard parts" appearance it'll allow it.

#80 Sebastian

Sebastian
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:16 AM

I'm pretty sure a CHUNKED DEATH, like the Flesh to Stone effect, automatically removes the NPC from the party thus eliminating any possibility of resurrection, so you don't need to worry about coding any resurrection resistances at all(However, this only works on HARD difficulty or above).

Do I remember wrong or is there a "Remove from Party" code? That would easily remove any resurrection resistance necessity.

As far as her "scrapped" state, you could just use the "Cast Spell at Creature" effect inside an "Apply Effect on Condition", with the condition being health=1 HP.

I think there's also coding for making monsters to stop perceiving someone/something as an enemy and thus stop attacking a certain target but I'm not quite sure. I haven't used DLTCEP for a while now :P

And I only suggested the regeneration part for consistency with her self-repairing protocols. I meant only something on the line of "Filler-regeneration-ability-to-add-to-the-characters-believability". :whistling:

And for the junkyard parts appearance part: One could easily use the "polymorph" effect for that but I don't think there's any creature in the BG avatars set that looks even remotely like a pile of junk, so so much for that <_< .

//Sebastian

Edited by Sebastian, 01 December 2008 - 07:20 AM.