Photo

Known Issues 3.02 (report bugs here)

• Please log in to reply
364 replies to this topic

#21 Ephyon

Ephyon
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:04 PM

This is EXTREMELY superficial, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway. I just went through the Fortress and finished the game and I noticed that in the scene when Dak'kon gets mobbed by the Shadows, he's wielding the Kinstealer. I actually had the Streaming Blade on it's strongest form, but I think this used to happen in the vanilla game anyway. The blade is back to its correct color on his corpse in the roof.

It's really just a small visual inconsistency.

Also, behold one of the most useless reports ever: There was a typo in one of your added quests, pretty sure it was the Deionarra's Truth quest. Except I don't remember where. I THINK it MIGHT have been while talking to Kesai-Serris, and it could POSSIBLY be a case of two letters being there when there should have been one. PERHAPS it could have been a double "t".

Or not.

#22 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:09 PM

This is EXTREMELY superficial, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway. I just went through the Fortress and finished the game and I noticed that in the scene when Dak'kon gets mobbed by the Shadows, he's wielding the Kinstealer. I actually had the Streaming Blade on it's strongest form, but I think this used to happen in the vanilla game anyway. The blade is back to its correct color on his corpse in the roof.

It's really just a small visual inconsistency.

Interesting. Yeah, the sprites that get used in the Fortress cutscenes aren't the -actual- sprites of your party members, they're fake copies basically. To fix the issue would be pretty hairy... making the cutscenes use the actual sprites of your party could do bad things, like set variables that could have bad effects later on, and making 3 different Dak'kon sprites for each of his morale/sword levels could also get pretty problematic. I think I'm going to stay away from this one... it's a lot of work and the risk of screwing things up is too great for such a small fix, I'm thinking. Still, thank you for the report, it's always good to know, and maybe someday I'll think of a simpler solution.

(I think I could actually make the fake sprite's morale equal the real Dak'kon's, but I don't think I could then make him level up behind the scenes to make his blade transform.)

Also, behold one of the most useless reports ever: There was a typo in one of your added quests, pretty sure it was the Deionarra's Truth quest. Except I don't remember where. I THINK it MIGHT have been while talking to Kesai-Serris, and it could POSSIBLY be a case of two letters being there when there should have been one. PERHAPS it could have been a double "t".

Or not.

Not useless at all, I really do appreciate typo/grammar bug reports, saves me having to keep reviewing over and over. I'll go through it and see if I can find the error you're talking about.

More interestingly to me - how'd you like the Expanded Deionarra's Truth mod? Worth the install? Blend in with the rest of the game well enough?

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 13 January 2009 - 08:13 PM.

#23 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:54 AM

I split the Deionarra's Truth posts over to a new thread in UB, so it can have spoiler tags and otherwise not interrupt this thread.

Qwinn

#24 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:01 AM

Ah you are correct! Spells are affected differently in each of the planes. Cool! In Baator strength spells work fine but in Carceri it subtracts strength. I'm curious if this is how spells are suppose to behave in Planescape canon? I'll see if I can figure out what spells are affected where and the effects of not having the tattoo. Well, this makes this a non-engine fix because everything is working fine just the tattoo's aren't in the game.

It's a little problematic that there was no notification in the failure case (kinda like some software i've written hehhe). Some visual effect or aural.

"I feel weaker" would be awesome, but i suppose there is no such thing.

#25 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:04 AM

I think there actually may be an audio clue when that happens. I think the sound during spellcasting is different, or at least, there's code in the engine suggesting that there was supposed to be. I gathered that from something scient mentioned in the Workroom, anyway. Hopefully he can confirm if that's actually the case, or I'll try to do so myself tonight after dinner.

Qwinn

#26 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:15 PM

If you've got Near Inifinity, the sound (wav) of a spell failing due to lack of a spell key is either "MAGIC01" or "MAGIC02". They are referenced in a number of areas in the code (not just having to do with spell keys) and looks like the defaults for spell fizzling or going awry (buffs turning into debuffs).

There is also some kind of small animation (not sure how to describe it) when a spell messes up. If you want to see an example, try to cast "Enoll Eva's Duplication" (SPWI504) in Carceri. It will completely fail so you can see what to expect. I wasn't able to find any insta fail spells in Baator but there are a number that I believe have the possibility to fail. For debuffs, try to cast any type of STR spell in Carceri. Instead of bonus, it will subtract from STR.

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#27 gothemasticator

gothemasticator
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:54 PM

Qwinn,

1) Hamrys Pillow Quest - It's strange that you try to buy a pillow from him. Then he says you have to help him get it from the warehouse. Then he gives you that same pillow as a reward. No gain whatsoever for Hamrys.

2) The mirrors that you find in the Modron maze are more valuable before they are identified, and they are not cursed items. The Devil's Due is also worthless once identified, but I always thought that was okay, since, although it is not cursed, it certainly has a downside. The mirrors, on the other hand, are useful magical items.

gothemasticator

#28 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:48 PM

1) Hamrys Pillow Quest - It's strange that you try to buy a pillow from him. Then he says you have to help him get it from the warehouse. Then he gives you that same pillow as a reward. No gain whatsoever for Hamrys.

True, but it was written that way. There isn't any unused dialogue lying around with which to fix it.

Hell, maybe he's just grateful that someone actually sat through listening to that interminably boring dissertation on coffin making.

2) The mirrors that you find in the Modron maze are more valuable before they are identified, and they are not cursed items. The Devil's Due is also worthless once identified, but I always thought that was okay, since, although it is not cursed, it certainly has a downside. The mirrors, on the other hand, are useful magical items.

Yeah, I noticed the mirrors were unduly cheap too. Still, as we discussed in another thread, the modron maze is already a cash cow, I don't think it would help matters to make it even more so. Definitely something worth doing in a "PS:T economy balancing mod", but I kinda consider that outside the scope of the Fixpack.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 14 January 2009 - 06:49 PM.

#29 gothemasticator

gothemasticator
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:07 AM

Qwinn,

thanks for the responses. here's another one --

1) After entering the Lower Ward, travel between locations changes and more time passes. At this point, you can teleport TO the trash warrens but not FROM. You have to walk all the way back to Ragpicker's Square and teleport from the east entrance.

2) In this playthroug I've noticed some odd npc walking behaviors. The ones I remember clearly are The Knifed Ghoul: upon leaving dialogue he walked backwards to the edge of the room. That is, he used the forward walking animation while moving backwards. Similarly, after talking with Mebbeth she crabwalked sideways to the edge of the room.

Thanks for all the work as always!

gothemasticator

#30 Shambelle

Shambelle
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:46 AM

Ah you are correct! Spells are affected differently in each of the planes. Cool! In Baator strength spells work fine but in Carceri it subtracts strength. I'm curious if this is how spells are suppose to behave in Planescape canon?

Yes it's a little like that...
When you are a mage, spells are twisted by the plane where you are.
For example, in the Negative Energy Plane, Healing is harder.
I can give you the details if you want.
But it's strange that you have some effect for Carceri and the like but no one for the Modron Maze (set in Limbo).

Edit: there is indeed some trace of a spell key for Limbo: it's II473.BAM

Edited by Shambelle, 15 January 2009 - 02:57 AM.

#31 -Odross-

-Odross-

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:35 AM

I downloaded Planescape: Torment Fixpack and Planescape: Torment Unfinished Business from here
http://www.shsforums...showtopic=38180 and i have experienced some problems.

First: if i enter Fell's tatoo studio with a girl in my party (fisrt Annah then FFG) every five or so seconds conversation with her starts as if i have clicked to talk with that character. So i need to end the conversation and quickly click on Fell or leave the studio.

Second: through the game i wasnt ever able to reach the siege tower. I have played this game many times and never had a problem with this so i assume its due to one of these mods.

Third: there were some persons i couldnt start a converation with. One is Hermit in Curst underground. Sadly i have forgotten who the others were.

And finally, this one really bothers me as it prevents me from continuing in this game: when i have dealt with Fhjull, the forked tongue, he then began to automaticly start conversation like the girls in my second bug. but i left and thought its ok, but i went on with the game and when i kill Trias and enter portal to Sigil this happens:

I see Fhjull's house (if i remember he was supposed to say something about Trias) and he is again starting the same conversation every five seconds. and few screens to the left, i see my party standing in black background (like out of map).

any thoughts?

btw: amazing work on these mods!

#32 taplonaplo

taplonaplo
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:47 AM

I downloaded Planescape: Torment Fixpack and Planescape: Torment Unfinished Business from here
http://www.shsforums...showtopic=38180 and i have experienced some problems.

First: if i enter Fell's tatoo studio with a girl in my party (fisrt Annah then FFG) every five or so seconds conversation with her starts as if i have clicked to talk with that character. So i need to end the conversation and quickly click on Fell or leave the studio.

Second: through the game i wasnt ever able to reach the siege tower. I have played this game many times and never had a problem with this so i assume its due to one of these mods.

Third: there were some persons i couldnt start a converation with. One is Hermit in Curst underground. Sadly i have forgotten who the others were.

And finally, this one really bothers me as it prevents me from continuing in this game: when i have dealt with Fhjull, the forked tongue, he then began to automaticly start conversation like the girls in my second bug. but i left and thought its ok, but i went on with the game and when i kill Trias and enter portal to Sigil this happens:

I see Fhjull's house (if i remember he was supposed to say something about Trias) and he is again starting the same conversation every five seconds. and few screens to the left, i see my party standing in black background (like out of map).

any thoughts?

btw: amazing work on these mods!

i did experience the last one as well. It also popped repeatedly the conversation with celestial fire as well (i have used it before entering the portal), but after a reload i was able to get through (tho it was reallly fucked up, as of timing).

#33 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:27 AM

Holy crap, that's distressing. Those are some major bugs.

Question - did you have the Subtitled Cutscenes component installed? In my last test run, I did. In fact, installing it may get you through those places, if it wasn't.

I'ma gonna have to go through without that installed and see if I can duplicate these. Sorry for your troubles.

Qwinn

P.S. "and few screens to the left, i see my party standing in black background (like out of map)." That part isn't my fault. That's a natural consequence of using a widescreen mod. You're going to see things around the edges of cutscenes that you weren't meant to. The repeating dialogue, of course, is a bug.

P.P.S. Actually, if you could cut and paste the contents of your weidu.log into a post, that'd be really helpful. Thanks!

P.P.P.S. Ok, you almost certainly -did- have subtitled cutscenes component installed. That's really strange. If you could email me a copy of your Torment/override/DANNAH.DLG file to pescalona@verizon.net, I'd really appreciate it, I need to see something. And I definitely still need that weidu.log, when you get the chance!

Edited by Qwinn, 15 January 2009 - 08:40 AM.

#34 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:46 AM

Oh, and Taplonaplo, if you could possibly do the same, except sending me Torment/override/DFHJULL.DLG instead, I'd really appreciate it, this is one I want to slap down fast.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 15 January 2009 - 08:47 AM.

#35 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:10 AM

As for the other bugs:

Did you talk to the kid in the open air market about the portal? That's required to trigger it. Once you have that conversation... well, the only change I make is that it has to be TNO himself who walks to the spot to trigger the portal, it can no longer be any PC in your party (this was because, the way it used to be, if you ran your whole party to that spot it would stutter terribly as it tried to initiate the portal's dialogue 6 times).

This one's really freaky. I can't see why it would happen. Was Ebb Creakknees someone else you couldn't talk to?

I'm looking at a couple of possible reasons for your having these problems. If you want to save time or me having to ask later, please email me your Torment/VAR.VAR file as well. It's kinda acting like the variables that my mods add to the game didn't get added properly, which is weird, I thought that routine was pretty foolproof..

Qwinn

#36 taplonaplo

taplonaplo
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

Unfortunatly, after reinstalling windows a few days ago my torment installation got fucked up. i tried install the patch to see if it helps so it's possible that the dlg file got replaced
the weidu log is:
~SETUP-PST-FIX.TP2~ #0 #0 // PS:T Ultimate WeiDU Fixpack, by Qwinn: v3.01
~SETUP-PST-FIX.TP2~ #0 #1 // Dialogue Spelling/Grammar Corrections (English Only): v3.01
~SETUP-PST-FIX.TP2~ #0 #4 // Subtitled Cutscenes: v3.01
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #1 // Banter Accelerator?  If so, Choose interval between banters. -> Interparty Banter Every 6 game hours (30 minutes) <Recommended>: v3.50
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #5 // Maximized HP Per Level for TNO and Party: v3.50
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #6 // Maximized Friends Spell: v3.50
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #7 // Stackable Rings, Charms, Bracelets, Scrolls: v3.50
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #10 // Save Nordom! Tweak: v3.50
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #11 // Tome Of Cheats (Not Recommended): v3.50
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #14 // Explore City Areas: v3.50
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #20 // Early Glabrezus Tweak: v3.50
~SETUP-PST-UB.TP2~ #0 #0 // All Recommended PS:T Unfinished Business Components: v3.00
~SETUP-PST-UB.TP2~ #0 #50 // Expanded Deionarra's Truth Mod: v3.00
~WIDESCREEN/WIDESCREEN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Widescreen Mod: Widescreen Mod v2
~SETUP-GHOSTDOG'S-PST-UI.TP2~ #0 #1 // GhostDog's Planescape: Torment UI -> PST UI with 30% bigger fonts: v1.0
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #8 // Scale of Souls: v3.50
on a clean install with same install order and a save game i could get pass on the fhjull cutscene without problem normally, but the celestial fire dialog fucks it up if it's used prior to entering the portal

Edited by taplonaplo, 15 January 2009 - 01:35 PM.

#37 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:41 PM

Great, thanks for that info.

So you're saying, to test it, I should load up a game after killing Trias, talk to Celestial Fire and get it to change shape or whatever, then try to go through the portal, and Fhjull will mess up?

Qwinn

#38 taplonaplo

taplonaplo
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:21 PM

no, the sword fucks up, fhjull don't get to talk at all(at least didn't for me). On a second thought, the 1st time around i think i had the sword talk bug, then after a reload it just took ages to teleport (fading back and forth to cutscene mode), no dialog loop. i'll try to reproduce.

#39 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:41 PM

Okay, wait, this bug is -really- starting to sound familiar now. There was indeed a major issue I had with banters screwing up if you immediately preceded it by talking to an item in your inventory, and indeed, instead of the banter it would just talk to the item again... however, I thought I'd come up with a way to stop that (basically, just before any creature attempts to start a dialogue, I make TNO attempt a fake dialogue with himself, which seems to "clear the cache" of the item's dialogue file, so to speak). I'll try to duplicate it too... now that I know the bug in question, I can probably duplicate it fairly easily myself.

Incidentally, I'm fairly sure this has nothing to do with my banter system... you'd get the problem whenever any creature attempted to start dialogue with you after you'd talked to an item. There's just not that many places where other creatures initiate dialogue, so it didn't get much notice. (The guards upstairs in the Foundry are one such).

Of course, my subtitled cutscenes component DOES increase the odds of the circumstances for it happening, since I make what used to be just playing a sound file into a dialogue.

This doesn't explain any of Odross's problems, only taplonaplo's. Hopefully Odross comes back and gives the extra info.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 15 January 2009 - 02:47 PM.

#40 taplonaplo

taplonaplo
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:52 PM

the dialog seems to start when you enter the a zone around the point you teleport to. It's a bit awkward to explain, but when it bugs, after talking to the sword i get to control my group and can move them around a bit, going left then back right triggers the dialog, as well as killing TNO.
If Odross knows that his group is few screen away i suppose he gets to control your group again-
To Odross: does it trigger if you just stand in one place, or only when you move around?

Edited by taplonaplo, 15 January 2009 - 02:53 PM.