Known Issues 3.02 (report bugs here)

• Please log in to reply
364 replies to this topic

#1 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 03:53 AM

Known Issues - all to be fixed in the next full version unless indicated otherwise:

1 ) When Annah, Grace, Ignus and Nordom die while in your party, you take chaotic and evil alignment hits and your "murder" count goes up. You could even potentially get mazed if Annah or Grace died enough times by your side.

2 ) You suffer alignment hits and become a "murderer" when some Curst citizens are murdered by other creatures.

3 ) Per 2nd edition D&D rules, constitution bonus to hit points should only apply when gaining a full hit die. Engine bug.

4 ) When gaining multiple levels at a time, and any of those levels is a "new" level, you can gain a full hit die for old levels too. Engine bug.

5 ) If you try to sell Annah to Vrischika, Vrischika and Standish will incorrectly attack you.

6 ) Seeing Blackrose in the Alley of Dangerous Angles will no longer create a bestiary entry for Curst Townie, Male.

7 ) Xanthia, Vrischika and various female Sensates that use the Female Aasimar sprite will no longer generate a bestiary entry for an Aasimar.

8 ) Backing out of taking the Godsman oath, then talking to Keldor again, it was possible to become a Godsman without taking the oath or passing the appropriate checks against belonging to another faction.

9 ) There is an exploit where you can cast mage spells as a fighter or thief, by bringing up Dak'kon or Ignus's floating menu and then clicking Select All and then Cast Spell. Engine bug.

10) During the cutscenes from some long-casting spells, some creatures can still act. Examples are creatures affected by Litany of Curses, creatures with broken morale (fleeing), and Grace when her script orders her to heal party members. Engine bug.

11) The Puzzled Skeleton in the Dead Nations will no longer stop talking to you if you deal with Adozyel harshly during the Restored Pendant of Yemeth quest (bug due to a recycled variable).

12) If Dak'kon tells you he'll talk to you later about something after he translates for you in a conversation with Fell, you will now always have the option to ask him to do so.

13) Killing Vorten will no longer add the quest to do so to your accepted quest list even if you've never been given the quest.

14) Per an old forum post by Chris Avellone, Nordom's alignment should be Lawful Neutral.

15) Per its spell description and 2nd edition rules, Dak'kon's Power of One spell should be subject to race and class restrictions (normally 18 for non fighters, 18/00 for fighters). The Improved Strength spell is still capable of bypassing these restrictions. Engine bug.

16) The dagger Porphyras Blade was missing the "Enchantment +3" attribute cited in its description.

17) Foundry workers would incorrectly think that Bedai had been arrested for the Godsman murder.

18) In Carceri, Berrog and Torvus are now immune to Litany of Curses and Fear effects, to prevent "creative" ways of getting them out from under the cart.

19) You can no longer pickpocket Trias for his sword (since he's holding it).

20) Not all cases of dying in dialogue properly incremented the "Death" counter that tracks how often you die during the game. They now do.

21) The Friends spell will no longer stack with itself. Engine bug.

22) You can no longer exploit the XP gained during Ravel's dialogue multiple times by quickly pausing and restarting conversation prior to her attack.

23) The THAC0 bonus that is supposed to be granted by Ingress's Teeth (in any of its variations or upgrades) did not actually improve Morte's THAC0. Now they do.

24) Agril-Shanak and Tek'elach both have dialogue that you only get in Curst-In-Carceri, but you could never see it because they would always be hostile. Now, when one dies, the other one will go neutral and can be spoken to. There's no guarantee they'll -stay- neutral, of course.

25) Subtitled Cutscenes: Talking to an item before taking the post-Trias portal back to Sigil will no longer corrupt the Fhjull cutscene that appears in certain circumstances.

26) Subtitled Cutscenes: The first few lines of the Ravel-TO cutscene are now subtitled via floating text rather than dialogue boxes. This circumvents the problem where entering dialogue boxes inevitably forces certain animations that are not fitting for this particular cutscene.

27) Talking to Corvus will no longer cause the "Kill Vorten" quest to get stuck in your assigned quest journal permanently. That was my fault, by the way. Oops. Sorry.

28) Aid spell cast on a fully healed character increases max hp only, it should also increase current hp (rather useless otherwise). Engine bug.

29) Bug in Barkis's dialogue prevented you from discovering some interesting information about your alcohol tolerance, unless you dealt with the Mochai quest a very specific way. Another bug ended conversation abruptly upon asking Barkis a question about drinks. Fixed.

30) One of Nordom's "Removed From Party" sound files was failing to play due to a bugged filename reference in the engine. Fixed.

31) One of the voiced lines meant to play when you tried to remove Annah's vest wouldn't actually play. Fixed.

32) Two of Annah's voiced lines meant to be heard when she successfully backstabbed could never be heard. Fixed.

33) Incorrect voiced line was used in a Grace-Morte banter. Fixed.

34) Taking the note from Zombie 1201 was giving an incorrect chaotic alignment hit that could be exploited infinitely. Effect on alignment for that action removed altogether.

35) After buying a bead from Vlask, he and his henchmen were supposed to leave in a cutscene. That cutscene was aborting prematurely, which allowed you to talk to Vlask again, which wasn't accounted for and caused problems. Cutscene fixed.

36) When Vlask would sell you a second bead, the command to actually give it to you failed, trapping you forever.

37) Purchasing a date with a Hive Harlot with -both- Grace and Annah in your party was causing the dialogue to abort prematurely due to a bug, and neither of them would react. They will now react as was intended (well, Annah will).

38) Once you told Drusilla about the decanter, she was supposed to become obsessed with your freeing Ignus (greeting you exclusively with asking you to do so), but a bad state weight was preventing that from happening. Fixed.

39) Although this has been fixed since version 1.0, noting here that Cilantro's Restoration Pack deserves credit for the original restoration of the floating rebuses over the heads of dabuses.

40) All dabuses have been gone over with a fine tooth comb, and they will now show and change those floating rebuses in accordance with the dialogue cues.

41) Ordering Nordom to go hostile and attack everyone wasn't making him leave the party, which was... problematic. He's now evicted from the party when ordered to go hostile.

42) Similarly, Ignus could be made to go hostile without being evicted from the party. Fixed.

43) Grace and Vhailor had voiced lines that were supposed to occasionally play when they died, but they couldn't be heard because dead men and succubi make no sounds. Fixed.

44) Inappropriate magical sounds and graphical effects when Morte was using his non-magical Litany of Curses have been removed. It is now much easier to hear his taunts.

45) Two voiced lines in Fhjull's cutscene when you left his house were reversed. They will now play in the proper order.

46) A variable set was missing that made Fhjull get stuck on his first response after you returned from the Pillar. Try talking to him again to hear the voiced line that this fix effectively restores.

47) Several creatures/characters with insane stats that make no sense or are directly contradicted by dialogue cues have been made sane. Note that this invariably makes them stronger - almost all of these were due to a level 0 template being used for creatures and never updated. Notable affected creatures are Leena Conall and Otis, the Practical Incarnation, Qui-Sai, Mantuok, and all sohmiens. Lots of named lower planes creatures got their weapon proficiencies upgraded to match what unnamed demons have. Oh, and no more level 1 larval worms with 90 hit points that can be mass killed by a single Cloudkill spell for insane experience anymore either, sorry.

48) It was possible to get the option to give two identical responses to Vivian after returning her veil. Fixed.

49) If you got Mar's axe in dialogue, and then killed him, you'd get a second axe.

50) A prostitute and a cafe patron in the Clerk's Ward that were failing to spawn have been restored.

51) Two cafe patrons near the east bar in the Clerk's Ward were duplicated. Removed the dupes. Also, a minor floating text exchange between one of those cafe patrons and the bartender of that bar is restored.

52) Hailciin (a character restored in UB Lower Ward Encounters component) should no longer aggro for no apparent reason when you talk to him.

53) The effect on Dak'kon's morale during dialogue with An'azi is now more consistent across various identical dialogue paths.

54) Fixed quest journal entries for finding the evidence against Pikit and for the quest to release Dimtree.

55) Noroch will now actually give you the copper and bandage rewards indicated by his dialogue if you dealt with the pickpocket before getting his quest to do so.

56) Ku'u Yin was failing to leave the area upon your refusing to help him, which caused oddities if you tried to talk to him again. Journal entry in that circumstance is fixed as well.

57) One of Morte's taunts is inaudible and another isn't really a taunt. Replacing them with two other unused sound files that are appropriate.

58) Grace's "Target Immune To Weapon" sound was exceedingly vague and inappropriate for the occasion ("There is nothing I can do."), replaced with the unused sound that was clearly intended for it. ("I cannot wound it.")

59) If Scofflaw Penn kicks you out of his shop and you get a journal entry saying the door is locked, it will now really be locked.

60) Siabha now has all the copper she was supposed to. (This was an error in Fixpack v1.0, my apologies)

61) Sarossa's dialogue gets even more fixes, particularly pertinent if you turn Saros in.

62) Infinite Annah morale loop in Kesai's dialogue removed.

63) Missing line in Vhailor's altercation with Grace regarding Annah restored.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 27 June 2009 - 07:25 PM.

#2 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:32 AM

Added entry #6 - Seeing Blackrose in the Alley of Dangerous Angles will no longer create a bestiary entry for Curst Townie, Male. Thanks to gothemasticator for the bug report :)

Also added #7 - Xanthia, Vrischika and various female Sensates that use the Female Aasimar sprite will no longer generate a bestiary entry for Aasimars.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 10 January 2009 - 12:54 PM.

#3 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:02 PM

I found a bug report on another forum that made me dig into some stuff, and I found a few interesting things.

http://www.idlethumb...read.php?t=6175

1) In the original game, the Puzzled Skeleton in the Dead Nations seems to use a global variable (Evil_Adyzoel_1) that was supposed to be devoted to Adyzoel in the Pendant of Yemeth quest. I can only speculate that for some reason they didn't want to go through the trouble of adding a new variable, and figured reusing one from cut content was handy?

At any rate, if you take an "evil" approach to dealing with Adyzoel of the Restored PoY quest, the puzzled skeleton won't talk to you. This will be fixed in the next version, by giving the Puzzled Skeleton his own distinct variables.

2) There is a dialogue path in the original game where you are having Dak'kon translate for Fell that eventually results in a "I shall not speak of it here, talk to me about it later" response from Dak'kon, but does not set the variable that enables the later conversation with Dak'kon (this is required to find out a key piece of information that gets you a permanent stat boost). In the next version, all dialogue options that result in "talk to me about this later" will enable that future conversation. In the meantime, as long as the variable didn't get set, you can have Dak'kon translate for Fell again and you can get the variable set by taking the correct dialogue path, which includes the question: "Why are you lying to me?"

3) It is apparently possible for the "all party members rejoin you after forced separations" logic to kick in when it shouldn't during the Morte kidnapping quest. This will definitely be fixed. Sorry for that error.

Qwinn

#4 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:53 PM

Non-Engine:
  • Thugs in Alley won't go back to place until you've paid the toll. This can cause them to group after fight if you say bring Shivs into Angels area or vise versa. As soon as you go to other entry point and pay the toll they go back to their normal places. (I know you hate this one almost as much as MAO :D)
  • DGHIVEF has dialog option where NPC recognizes TNO and is suppose to run away but stops and goes back to place after a few seconds.
  • When you punch Fleece and tell him to beat it, he turns red but doesn't leave the area. Instead he just walks about with red circle. Maybe he is trying to get to an exit but some scripts are conflicting? Same happens when drunken harlot tries to flee. Possible to make them "run" away?
  • Morte's "Litany of Curses" can cause Berrog & Tovus Gilijaf (Curst) who both should be immobile to move from their spots if it is cast onto either of them. After it wears off they just stand in place doing nothing like they should but not in their original spots. (Solution below)
  • Get Spell Key's working. There is already existing code for them, it just doesn't "work". (engine code is fine, keys just have to be added into game)

Engine:
    Fixes:
  • Bug with TO image in bestiary not being properly displayed (JRTRZKN->JRSHTKN). Prob is switching bestiary pictures was never fully implemented in the engine.
  • Proper STR 18/00 progression -> fighter bonus on level up, PermaStatChange, spells, items.
  • Resolve stat roll-over to negative value for resists/thief skills/lore in engine as opposed to work around scripts.
  • During the cutscenes from some long-casting spells, some creatures can still act. Examples are creatures affected by Litany of Curses, creatures with broken morale (fleeing), and Grace when her script orders her to heal party members.
  • There is an exploit where you can cast mage spells as a fighter or thief, by bringing up Dak'kon or Ignus's floating menu and then clicking Select All and then Cast Spell.
  • When gaining multiple levels at a time with TNO and any of those levels are a "new" level, you can gain a full hit die for old levels too.
  • Per 2nd edition D&D rules, constitution bonus to hit points should only apply when gaining a full hit die.
  • Non-TNO PC's gaining incorrect amount of hp. Info here and here. Bug introduced by fix #18 to try and correct issues with TNO hp progression.
  • Luck items do not give luck bonus (MOOPUNCH, TTMORTE1, etc). Fixed Luck modifier code so all items/spell works properly.
  • PC's were not getting luck bonuses from WIS if it was altered using PermaStatChange or perma items (GORDKNOT). Also potential to get more luck then PC should if WIS was lowered then raised again.
  • Inconsistent "to hit" profile display -> missing value from WSPECIAL.2da
  • It was possible with the random hp generator on level up (ie. not part of CON bonuses) to get lower hp bonus than you should. Fixed a check against MIN_ROLL, only affected PC's with high CON.

Tweaks:
  • UI: Display cumulative exp when killing multiple NPC's in one go (area spell). Say, if you killed 4 NPC's with Cloudkill it would display as floaty text the sum of all 4 NPC's exp values instead of just last one.
  • UI: Add into profile display "Base THAC0" and "THAC0" values emulating BG2. At the moment it only displays the "base" value not the value modified by items or spells.
  • If 18/00 STR gets added, Qwinn wanted to include a "maximum" Strength tweak for both "Strength", "Power of One", and "Improved Strength".

Edited by scient, 16 May 2009 - 01:18 PM.

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#5 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:28 PM

Cool list, scient. I'll go through all of 'em.

* Thugs in Alley won't go back to place until you've paid the toll. This can cause them to group after fight if you say bring Shivs into Angels area or vise versa. As soon as you go to other entry point and pay the toll they go back to their normal places. (I know you hate this one almost as much as MAO biggrin.gif)

Yes, I do hate this one. In the last version I made it so that you can also get them to go back to their normal places by completing their side's quest (since, once you do, you can't pay the toll and they got stuck there permanently). I'm inclined to say I'm happy with that solution.

* DGHIVEF has dialog option where NPC recognizes TNO and is suppose to run away but stops and goes back to place after a few seconds.

Yep, aware of this one too (thanks to your previous report :) ). Not sure what to do about it. It's technically tricky because you can't tell a critter to -run- when you tell them to escape the area, so it's a matter of sending it conflicting scripting actions. I don't want to make them -walk- away, that kinda kills the "zomg it's YOU, aieeeee" effect. And besides, fixing it has the bad side effect that if they were part of a group, it may leave whoever they were talking to standing there talking to themselves. Will have to think on it further.

* When you punch Fleece and tell him to beat it, he turns red but doesn't leave the area. Instead he just walks about with red circle. Maybe he is trying to get to an exit but some scripts are conflicting? Same happens when drunken harlot tries to flee. Possible to make them "run" away?

I'll have to look... this is something that used to happen in -all- circumstances, I made sure they really left (at least, by the time you left the area and returned) if you explicitly told them to leave and don't come back. If you don't actually tell them explicitly never to come back, they may indeed still stick around. Will have to look and see what options I have.

* Bug with TO image in bestiary not being properly displayed (JRTRZKN->JRSHTKN). Perhaps problem with "Transcendent_Final_Speech" global.

Nah, don't think it has to do with the global. I think the engine code to switch bestiary pictures was just never fully implemented in the engine - it's never necessary in any other situation. Since the only way you could ever see the updated bestiary picture is in the very last moments of the game, at points where it's damn unlikely anyone's ever going to bother to stop and check the bestiary, I consider this one pretty much the lowest priority engine fix possible.

If you DID want to get it working, I'd suggest just creating a new command that I could put in a script that would change the existing "imageknown" variable assigned to the sprite, if that's possible.

* Proper STR 18/00 progression.

We're gonna get so hated for fixing that, you -do- realize.

* Resolve stat roll-over to negative value for resists/thief skills/lore in engine as opposed to work around scripts.

Low priority, since we do have a workaround, but yeah.

* Bish (entrance to Trash Warrens) can see and initiate dialog with TNO even if TNO is in sneak/stealth mode. Perhaps this happens else where.

Hmm. Will have to look into this one. First I've heard of it.

* Morte's "Litany of Curses" can cause Berrog & Tovus Gilijaf (Curst) who both should be immobile to move from their spots if it is cast onto either of them. After it wears off they just stand in place doing nothing like they should but not in their original spots.

Hrm. I could give them an invisible item that makes them immune to LoC. Only way I can think of to deal with that atm.

* Bonuses to THAC0/damage from Morte's teeth seem to not be calculated into stats. Annah's punch daggers update THAC0 but not damage bonus.

No weapons update damage bonus, which I think is intended and proper. There's too many vagaries about damage bonuses (how would you display the "+2-12 poison damage" of Ravel's Fingernail, for example?) that I don't think weapons -should- update that field. I'll also point out that the field that should be updating but isn't is "To Hit", not "THACO". The THACO field is, from all appearances, meant to only report "Base THACO", not modified THACO. Modifiers should accumulate in the To Hit display, and yeah, that field is totally off almost all the time (doesn't ever seem to show proficiency bonuses, for example) and needs some serious work.

UB:
* Get Spell Key's working (there is already existing code for them, it just doesn't "work").

Really? You found code meant to make it work? Neat.

For those reading this, this was an intent by the designers to make mages have a chance of spell failure when casting on other planes, like Baator. The spell keys were meant to make you able to cast normally.

Question, scient: Can you tell from the code what the percentage chance of failure was supposed to be? I'd be much more interested in getting this working if we do know what the percentages were supposed to be, rather than us picking some values arbitrarily.

Tweak:
* UI: Display cumulative exp when killing multiple NPC's in one go (area spell). For example, if you killed 4 NPC's with Cloudkill it would display as floaty text the sum of all 4 NPC's exp values instead of just last one.

That would be cool.

* UI: Add into profile display "Base THAC0" and "THAC0" values emulating BG2. At the moment it only displays the "base" value not the value modified by items or spells.

Yeah, this would be a cool tweak, once the To Hit bonus field is fixed.

* UI: Display luck value in profile window.

Hadn't thought of this one, but yeah, good idea!

* If 18/00 STR gets added, Qwinn wanted to include a "maximum" Strength tweak for both "Strength" and "Improved Strength".

It's the least we can do to stave off the mob with torches and pitchforks.

That said, you forgot one (unless you ditched it as undoable)... making the Friends spell non-cumulative, like the Strength spells :) EDIT: Hah! I see you added it in before I could hit submit ;)

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 12 January 2009 - 07:35 PM.

#6 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:01 PM

* Proper STR 18/00 progression.

We're gonna get so hated for fixing that, you -do- realize.

:devil:

* Resolve stat roll-over to negative value for resists/thief skills/lore in engine as opposed to work around scripts.

Low priority, since we do have a workaround, but yeah.

For thief skills yes, resists / lore no.

* Bish (entrance to Trash Warrens) can see and initiate dialog with TNO even if TNO is in sneak/stealth mode. Perhaps this happens else where.

Hmm. Will have to look into this one. First I've heard of it.

I made a note of it during my playthrough with TNO as a thief when I was scouting stealthed. Suddenly as I neared the trap door Bish runs up to me and starts a dialog. Maybe he has x-ray vision. :D

* Morte's "Litany of Curses" can cause Berrog & Tovus Gilijaf (Curst) who both should be immobile to move from their spots if it is cast onto either of them. After it wears off they just stand in place doing nothing like they should but not in their original spots.

Hrm. I could give them an invisible item that makes them immune to LoC. Only way I can think of to deal with that atm.

This would work I think. It's only LoC that causes this issue. Normal attack they stay in place.

* Bonuses to THAC0/damage from Morte's teeth seem to not be calculated into stats. Annah's punch daggers update THAC0 but not damage bonus.

No weapons update damage bonus, which I think is intended and proper. There's too many vagaries about damage bonuses (how would you display the "+2-12 poison damage" of Ravel's Fingernail, for example?) that I don't think weapons -should- update that field. I'll also point out that the field that should be updating but isn't is "To Hit", not "THACO". The THACO field is, from all appearances, meant to only report "Base THACO", not modified THACO. Modifiers should accumulate in the To Hit display, and yeah, that field is totally off almost all the time (doesn't ever seem to show proficiency bonuses, for example) and needs some serious work.

Ya, terms get mismatched. I'll have to sort it all out to make sense of what's what.

UB:
* Get Spell Key's working (there is already existing code for them, it just doesn't "work").

Really? You found code meant to make it work? Neat.

For those reading this, this was an intent by the designers to make mages have a chance of spell failure when casting on other planes, like Baator. The spell keys were meant to make you able to cast normally.

Question, scient: Can you tell from the code what the percentage chance of failure was supposed to be? I'd be much more interested in getting this working if we do know what the percentages were supposed to be, rather than us picking some values arbitrarily.

There is specific code for all three planes (Baator, Carceri, Negative Material Plane) where it checks to see if TNO has the Spell Key tattoo equipped. The question is whether I can get spell failure to work so I'll have to do more analysis. My thought was to see how the spell anti-magic shield works (kills casting of all spells) and apply it to area's unless tattoo's were equipped. I was going under the impression that all spells would fail without it. So really they should work without tattoo just have a chance to fail?

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#7 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:10 PM

I'm pretty sure it was only supposed to be a chance of spell failure, yeah, not total failure.

And holy crap, check out this thread I just found.

http://forums.gamesp...5249/r12745254/

According to this, the spell-warping thing -already- works, partially?? At least, that's what Platter is suggesting...

Qwinn

#8 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:27 PM

Spell warping == failure? I'll have to load up a test game and see but if I recall I could cast fine in Baator. Maybe the prob is small? This would make this quite easy thing to implement if failure code is actually there and works.

Is there anything in strategy guide?

Edited by scient, 12 January 2009 - 08:30 PM.

#9 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:39 PM

If you can confirm that is actually the case, then maybe just putting the physical spell keys back in the game would be sufficient. I checked out how Cilantro's Restoration Pack slipped them back in. It puts the Negative Material Plane spell key in Candrian's inventory (meh) and has Ebb Creakknees give you the Carceri key at the same time he gives you the Desert Hell scroll in Carceri. The Baator key isn't restored at all.

Not really thrilled with either of those, particularly since when Ebb hands you that scroll, it says that he "slides a scroll into your hand". I suppose the "piece of human skin" that is the spell key could've been rolled up inside the spell scroll, but still... eh. And who's going to pickpocket or kill Candrian for the Negative Key without metagaming knowledge? Probably the best way they could be reintroduced considering a lack of WeiDU, of course.

I'm thinking this may be one of those rare cases where, if I did decide to restore them, it would be appropriate to add a minimum amount of new, minimally obtrusive dialogue to explain it. Candrian would probably be the best source for the Negative Material Plane key, I'd probably add it in by adding some dialogue if you visited him after returning to Sigil, of the "It looks like I have to go to the Negative Material Plane after all, Candrian... any additional advice for me before I go?" variety. And I think Fhjull would probably be the best source for the Baator and Carceri keys... the former given before you go to the Pillar, and the latter after, both extracted by the same compulsion to charity that makes him give you all the other stuff.

If anyone can suggest an alternative, better way for restoring any of those keys, I'd very open to suggestions.

EDIT: Hmmm... could make the Carceri key available only from the Pillar of Skulls... for its usual prices... :evil: Well, nah. The Pillar is known for giving -answers-, not goodies. Could have the Pillar tell you how to get it, but can't have it actually -give- it to you.

EDIT: Another hmmm... could potentially just put the Baator key on the devil that pretends to be the "damsel in distress" in that area. No dialogue needed there, and gives a reason to bother to engage in that encounter. Would a devil -need- it, though? Not that it has to need it to have it, just wondering...

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 12 January 2009 - 09:03 PM.

#10 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:41 PM

If I'm reading what Platter is saying correctly, it's already all working correctly, it affects some spells, though not so much as to be all -that- noticeable. Sometimes it affects the level at which you cast it, sometimes it can reverse the effect. If that's really the case, then hey, awesome, you don't have to do anything, I should just restore the keys themselves, see last post for ruminations on how to go about that.

EDIT: Found another thread where someone reports a similar phenomenon and Platter responds.

http://forumplanet.g.../12745150/p1/?1

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 12 January 2009 - 08:49 PM.

#11 -Tyr Vedra-

-Tyr Vedra-

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:58 PM

Heck, you guys are too technical for me, but what about tiny insignificant grammar corrections? You want them reported?

On the Mortuary 3rd Floor when you talk to any of the Skeleton Workers -

Nameless: "How about this skeleton, Morte? Will it do as a body?"

[...taunt, etc...]

Morte: "I'll have you know that helping you escape the preparation room has now been added my growing list of regrets."

I think there is a "to" missing in there ...

Heh, I love taunting Morte - decided I'm playing this EVIL for my second time through :devil: Keep up the great work you guys!

#12 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:06 PM

Oh yes, please do report grammar corrections. They're very easy for me to fix, and while I've found a crapload (I think about 4100 corrections now), sometimes I just don't notice 'em cause my brain seems to just automatically fill in those missing words. I've read that line you quoted a dozen times and never noticed that missing "to", sigh.

Qwinn

#13 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:36 PM

Good job pointing out that link talking about "warping". There is a conditional check after seeing if tattoo is there which toggles "warping" code. There are text references to WARP1, WARP2, WARP3 and MAGIC02. Are these some kind of sprites, animation or sound? I did some looking in NI but couldn't find anything. Also, does anyone know if spell failure should happen for all spells? It seems some of the lower level spells such as "Chromatic Orb", "Strength" and "Magic Missile" are exempt. For those three the code to check for tattoo gets skipped completely. I'll do some more digging but the good news is that there is code in there to handle this game mechanic.

Edited by scient, 13 January 2009 - 02:38 PM.

#14 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:47 PM

Are you sure that the Strength spell is exempt? In both the links I provided, the Strength spell was the one affected, not exempted.

Considering both links point to it, what I'd do is load up a game in Carceri and try the strength spell on the party a few times, see if you can indeed get it to drain rather than increase strength. I can do it tomorrow if ya like, but I can't spare the time tonight I'm afraid.

Qwinn

#15 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:57 PM

Ah you are correct! Spells are affected differently in each of the planes. Cool! In Baator strength spells work fine but in Carceri it subtracts strength. I'm curious if this is how spells are suppose to behave in Planescape canon? I'll see if I can figure out what spells are affected where and the effects of not having the tattoo. Well, this makes this a non-engine fix because everything is working fine just the tattoo's aren't in the game.

edit:
"MAGIC02" is wav file for spell failure or being messed up by planes. I still couldn't find anything for "WARP#".

edit edit:
The WARP text looks like info that would have been sent to LUA (or whatever console) which is disabled. It just the code path if spell completely fizzles.

Edited by scient, 13 January 2009 - 11:00 PM.

#16 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:16 PM

Yah. That's what I was thinking. I'm letting the question of how to reintroduce them to the game with minimum intrusiveness (while still making sense) simmer in the back of my brain for a bit. I've got some ideas. I'm basically aiming towards having them be a prize given out for doing some of the more optional content that doesn't otherwise have much reason for it. Currently I'm thinking of:

Carceri Key:
Spoiler

Baator Key:
Spoiler

Negative Plane Key:
Spoiler

Still have an open mind about all three, if anyone cares to make a better suggestion.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 13 January 2009 - 04:27 PM.

#17 gothemasticator

gothemasticator
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:38 PM

Qwinn,

Couple of things:

1) Quest entry: Kill V... (shoot, I disremember his name; the guard at the entrance to lower ward)

So, I always end up killing him, just because I'm a jerk in dialogue I suppose. But killing him creates the quest entry "Kill V..." However, I've never received that quest from anyone. And if it's a real quest, I've never even seen a dialogue option with anyone to suggest it. Is there such a quest at all? And can the quest entries be fixed?

2) My gosh, why can't I open the cabinet doors in my Festhall room?! Either this is an addition fromt the latest patch, or I've never played with quite the same stat combo I have in this playthrough. Dunno.

Also, if you can fix the STR 18/00 situation, you have my complete support. I think it's way too easy to max STR as is. The limitation itroduced by the game itself is improperly easy to bypass, so much so that every walkthrough I've read suggests planning for the bypass from the begining.

Thanks,

gothemasticator

#18 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:55 PM

1) Quest entry: Kill V... (shoot, I disremember his name; the guard at the entrance to lower ward)

So, I always end up killing him, just because I'm a jerk in dialogue I suppose. But killing him creates the quest entry "Kill V..." However, I've never received that quest from anyone. And if it's a real quest, I've never even seen a dialogue option with anyone to suggest it. Is there such a quest at all? And can the quest entries be fixed?

Yes, it's a real quest, given by the Anarchists. It puts a "completed" entry in the dialogue even if you've never been given it? Hmmmmm. I can see why it would given the mechanics, actually. Will have to look into it, and see what happens if you're given the quest after you've already "completed" it.

2) My gosh, why can't I open the cabinet doors in my Festhall room?! Either this is an addition fromt the latest patch, or I've never played with quite the same stat combo I have in this playthrough. Dunno.

That is part of the Expanded Deionarra's Truth mod. From the Unfinished Business readme:

Note a few important things if you install this component: A closet in your room in the Festhall that could previously be opened easily will now remain firmly locked until the end of this quest (items it contained have been moved and remain accessible earlier). The quest will not be available until after you have returned to Sigil after a long trip elsewhere.

You might want to read the rest of the description in the UB Readme. In particular, there's hints there about an item you -need- to hold onto for roughly half of the game in order to be able to complete that quest.

Also, if you can fix the STR 18/00 situation, you have my complete support. I think it's way too easy to max STR as is. The limitation itroduced by the game itself is improperly easy to bypass, so much so that every walkthrough I've read suggests planning for the bypass from the begining.

I agree... and thanks for the support. The hate will still be deep though, I think, heh. No two ways about it, it's a nerf, and if several years of MMORPG's taught me anything, it's that there's a large segment of gamers that simply cannot abide any nerf for any reason whatsoever, no matter how drastically unbalancing the issue is or how desperately necessary the nerf is.

Qwinn

#19 gothemasticator

gothemasticator
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:09 PM

Yes, it's a real quest, given by the Anarchists. It puts a "completed" entry in the dialogue even if you've never been given it? Hmmmmm. I can see why it would given the mechanics, actually. Will have to look into it, and see what happens if you're given the quest after you've already "completed" it

Just to clarify, killing him puts an entry in accepted quests, not in completed.

Also, thanks for the pointers toward the deionara's truth content.

gothemasticator

#20 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:12 PM

Just to clarify, killing him puts an entry in accepted quests, not in completed.

Oh really? Weird. Yeah, that'll need fixing, I'll see what I can do about it. Adding to the Known Issues list. Thanks for the report! Keep 'em coming :)

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 13 January 2009 - 05:13 PM.