BGT in Linux (Successfully I think)

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#61 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:22 AM

Hi there. I?m trying to get BGT to work on OS X 10.6.6, and my guess is that this would be a good starting point. However, I apparently can?t find MosPack anywhere, this link from the first post appears to be broken. Any one of you would happen to know where I can find it?

Cheers.

You can get it here.

#62 -Die Mensch-Maschine-

-Die Mensch-Maschine-

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:10 PM

Thank you very much. Is this new? Because Google sure doesn?t seem to know about it.

So, after a bit of compiling (and compiling libjpeg is a real pain), I ran into the same problem as Wilkolak a few years ago ? i.e.
ERROR: error loading [BG1CRE/BGCALAHA.CRE]
And, indeed, there is no such file. Should there be? I?ll try to pinpoint when it should be created/copied from BG and see if something goes wrong.

#63 -Die Mensch-Maschine-

-Die Mensch-Maschine-

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:29 AM

OK, I think I got it. Big surprise, it?s case sensitivity (or rather, insensitivity) which breaks mmv. Ugly but easy solution would be to run tolower first, too. Of course, it isn?t distributed with WeiDU for Mac OS X, as it is not needed. I got it from WeiDU for Linux, but its an ELF executable and not a shell script as I would have expected.

Before building, can anyone confirm that tolower only changes the name of every file in some directory to lowercase? I would rather write a shell script than go through the trouble of compilation.

Cheers

#64 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:37 AM

Tolower can also generate a linux.ini to bridge the gap between Windows-style paths and Unix-style paths (if your game needs it). Other than that it just recursively lower-cases everything, yes.

Edited by Wisp, 07 March 2011 - 09:57 AM.

#65 -Die Mensch-Maschine-

-Die Mensch-Maschine-

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:18 AM

I?ve reached the end of the installation, although I still have to check if everything was done as expected. I especially had a bunch (80) of warning towards the end, probably by tis2bg2, whole of them similar to:
[Source]: area7400/ar0300n.wed, V1.3
          area7400/ar0300n.tis, V1  
[Output]: area7400/ar7400n.wed, V1  
          area7400/ar7400n.tis, no header

Basic tiles number: 		3450
 Doors extra tiles number: 	3450
 Animations extra tiles number: 0

Warning :	 Cannot handle area MOS file

Warning :	 Cannot handle area _HT.bmp file

Warning :	 Cannot handle area _LM.bmp file

Warning :	 Cannot handle area _SR.bmp file

Warning :	 Cannot delete source area MOS file

Warning :	 Cannot delete source area _HT.bmp file

Warning :	 Cannot delete source area _LM.bmp file

Warning :	 Cannot delete source area _SR.bmp file

Tiles processed: 3450 of 3450 done.
Extra 0 overlay tiles added.
Is it normal?

In order to reach that point, I had to write two scripts to replace mmv, one which renames file à la ren, another which copy and renames on the fly, à la copy Bc1\Bc1*.ACM Bc3\Bc3*.ACM.

#66 -Die Mensch-Maschine-

-Die Mensch-Maschine-

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:12 AM

I just had the time to test it, and I can?t even get to the menu, game dies on launch.

Three error messages, in said order, right after configuration (which, for some reason, want to be run everytime),

An Assertion failed in ChDimm.cpp at line number 834

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\Baldurs Gate II\BGMain.exe

abnormal program termination

So I guess something went horribly wrong. Damn.

#67 kajukenbo

kajukenbo
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:08 PM

I tried this manually last night, ran into issues, and then found this thread.
I will have to try again later with the additional scripts!

Thanks

#68 jonas

jonas
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:53 AM

I', trying to get bgt run with ubuntu 11.04 & x86_64 architecture. I'm not that good

Installation aborted over a parsing error:
Copied [BGT/bg1.tra] to [BGT/bg1.tra]
loading 1 tra file

[BGT/bg1.tra] PARSE ERROR at line 33833 column 1-9
Near Text: Magie
	syntax error

[BGT/bg1.tra]  ERROR at line 33833 column 1-9
Near Text: Magie
	Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: parsing [BGT/bg1.tra]: Parsing.Parse_error
Stopping installation because of error.
Stopping installation because of error.

I had problems before. The tolower comand had some problem creating the linux.ini so i did some handwork. But I don't think thats the problem...

Attached Files

• Attached File  bgt.debug   120.74K   193 downloads
  • Attached File  bg1.tra   10.84MB   2065 downloads

#69 jonas

jonas
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:10 AM

Can anyone help?

The problem with tolower was, that it says
Fatal error: exception Not_found
when trying to creat the linux.ini. So I did this by hand. The first part is working fine.

Today I uninstalled all BG1 Files, installed it again and run the Installation. It's stopping at the exact same Time.

I use the baldur's gate dvd version form the Black Isle Compilation Part Two with german language.

I tried to find more Information about the problem, even with Windows users. Someone had the same problem. Is the problem maybe with the german bg1-files itself?

Here is an older post about the same problem:
http://www.shsforums...g-bgt-099-zeta/

#70 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:38 AM

I', trying to get bgt run with ubuntu 11.04 & x86_64 architecture. I'm not that good

Installation aborted over a parsing error:

Your bg1.tra is malformed. Where did you get it from?

Edit: Apparently it is generated at install time. Back to digging.

Edit 2; Man, BGT does not make this easy. I was going to suggest you try dumping the BG1 text yourself and have BGT use that instead, but to do that you'd need to modify the tp2 code as well.

Edited by Wisp, 14 October 2011 - 03:15 AM.

#71 jonas

jonas
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:32 AM

The Installation-Files schouldn't be the problem. I tried and Installed BGT on a Windows PC with the same installation cd's yesterday and it works perfectly.

#72 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:47 PM

I'm trying to get BGT-WeiDU version 1.13 to work with Linux. Thing is, I am a Linux n00b 101, so I need some dedicated Linux people to help me out with testing the installation. Anyone interested?

Most of the DOS script is gone now, and what is left (primarily lots of rm commands) are in shell scripts that need some checking.
Also, can I expect Linux users to have mosunpack installed? And does tis2bg2.exe work on Linux?

Finally, would you know whether the BG:TotSC installation is already in lower case, and whether WeiDU will extract files from that installation in lower case?

Edited by Ascension64, 29 October 2011 - 04:03 PM.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#73 hellothar

hellothar
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:23 PM

I'm trying to get BGT-WeiDU version 1.13 to work with Linux. Thing is, I am a Linux n00b 101, so I need some dedicated Linux people to help me out with testing the installation. Anyone interested?

Most of the DOS script is gone now, and what is left (primarily lots of rm commands) are in shell scripts that need some checking.
Also, can I expect Linux users to have mosunpack installed? And does tis2bg2.exe work on Linux?

Finally, would you know whether the BG:TotSC installation is already in lower case, and whether WeiDU will extract files from that installation in lower case?

Hello, just copy baldur's gate windows install (with all mods and patches already installed) preferably on to free fat32 partition (to keep it speedy), mount ThroneofBhaal image with command "fuseiso -p /path/to/ToB.iso /tmp/bg2tob/", edit baldur.ini file and update drive letters (don't forget to set up drive letters with winecfg) and then just run the game with command "wine /path/to/bgmain.exe"

edit: see this post about using winecfg to setup drive letters and fat32 partition

Edited by hellothar, 29 October 2011 - 06:28 PM.

#74 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:37 PM

Sorry, I don't wish to play BGT on Linux. I am developing the next version of BGT-WeiDU to be installed on Linux directly, and that's why I was asking the questions.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#75 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:20 AM

I think I have a linux tis2bg2 and mosunpack binary somewhere (thanks to the bigg); I'll look for them.

Both BG2 and BG1 installations are in upper case. And, for how weidu works under linux, it could create problems even if the path to that folder was not all upper case. But I have an idea to solve that, without really lowercasing all bg1 directory (which is not necessary if you don't want to mod that, and breaks NearInfinity), by using symbolic links; I have written a shell script which should do that, but I still need to test it (I'll think I have some time this afternoon*).

* - I'm from Europe, so it's approx 9am here now

Edited by Turambar, 30 October 2011 - 01:56 PM.

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#76 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:41 AM

I think I have a linux tis2bg2 and mosunpack binary somewhere (thanks to the bigg); I'll look for them.

I updated the MosPack hosted here at SHS to include Linux executables.

#77 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:30 PM

But I have an idea to solve that, without really lowercasing all bg1 directory (which is not necessary if you don't want to mod that, and breaks NearInfinity), by using symbolic links; I have written a shell script which should do that, but I still need to test it (I'll think I have some time this afternoon*).

Yeah, that would help. If WeiDU could be optioned to extract from biffs and convert case it would make things eaiser. Typing the path to the bg1 directory is OK, because the user would have to get the case right manually. I have lower-cased the remainder of the BGT installation, except where BGT directly copies stuff from the BG1 override/ and from music/. Therefore, I may need a tree (or whatever Linux equivalent of the BG1 music files from Linux just to check that they are the correct case).

I updated the MosPack hosted here at SHS to include Linux executables.

Fabulous, thanks.

--------------
Retired Modder

#78 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:54 PM

edit: oh, it's almost working again... but still, I don't manage to attach anything, since the full editor redirects me to the index

On linux, all files extracted with weidu --biff-get from biffs are already lower case.

Here are the two binaries plus one script which creates a bg1 folder inside the bgt folder, with lower case symlinks to (I hope) every needed BG1 file and folder (chitin.key; baldur.ini; the two .tlks; Data, Override, Movies, Sounds and Music).
That's still an idea which I can edit depending on what you need and on the .tp2 code.
After that, you can use bgt/bg1/ instead of the original bg1 path, and have no case-sensitivity problems.
It also copies the linux binaries to /tmp folder and makes them executable (to prevent problems if bg2 is installed on a FAT or NTFS partition); you can launch every binary with AT_NOW ~/tmp/bgt-weidu/mosunpack ...~ and so on.
It could be put inside a code very roughly like this...
ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS ~bgt/autopath.txt~ BEGIN
	PRINT ~insert your full path~
END
AT_EXIT ~rm -rf bgt/bg1~
AT_NOW ~sh bgt/unix/linkbg1.sh~
ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS ~bgt/bg1/chitin.key~ BEGIN
	FAIL ~invalid path~
END
COPY + ~linux.ini~ ~bgt/bg1/linux.ini~
	REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~%MNL%~ ~%LNL%~
	REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~%WNL%~ ~%LNL%~
	REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~%LNL%.*$~ ~~//delete all lines but the first
	offset = BUFFER_LENGTH
	INSERT_BYTES offset 8
	WRITE_ASCII offset ~bgt/bg1/~
	SPRINT path ~bgt/bg1/~

PS: edit: there are apparently problems on this forum, since every time I try to reply I get redirected to the forum index. Please, if you see thousands of posts of mine, delete them, since my reply appeared to have disappeared, and I tried to post it again some times

Edited by Turambar, 30 October 2011 - 02:03 PM.

Turambar

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!

vipersig.jpg

#79 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:16 AM

The forum is still having problems: when I'm editing posts, I can't switch to full editor because I get redirected to the forum home page. Anyway, here are the binaries. I have received your message, but have not updated the shell script yet, so that's still the draft; I'll have a look at your scripts

edited attachments

Edited by Turambar, 05 November 2011 - 07:31 AM.

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#80 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:04 AM

It will be fabulous if the next BGT can be installed directly under Linux without needing patches !

I am more than willing to help, for script debugging or testing purpose, since nowadays I am always playing BG and BGT on Linux.
French translator of: BG2 FixPack, BG2 Tweaks, Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU, BGT-Tweaks and some minor mods.