Photo

BGT in Linux (Successfully I think)

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#81 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:26 AM

@Turambar: You can strip the two executables with strip -s to save 8 KB.
French translator of: BG2 FixPack, BG2 Tweaks, Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU, BGT-Tweaks and some minor mods.

#82 krimine

krimine
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:41 AM

I'm trying to get BGT-WeiDU version 1.13 to work with Linux. Thing is, I am a Linux n00b 101, so I need some dedicated Linux people to help me out with testing the installation. Anyone interested?

For some overhauled scripts , this might be helpful: http://forums.gibber...showtopic=23420 .

#83 neird

neird
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:11 AM

I'm trying to get BGT-WeiDU version 1.13 to work with Linux. Thing is, I am a Linux n00b 101, so I need some dedicated Linux people to help me out with testing the installation. Anyone interested?

For some overhauled scripts , this might be helpful: http://forums.gibber...showtopic=23420 .

BGT 1.13 should be installable. Just change content of ie-mod-bgt/debian and rebuild or use ie-linux-tools/ie-dev.sh directly to patch bats into bash scripts.
All other mods except Vecna and Aurora's Shoes and Boots should be installable too. You can even install Vecna and Aurora's Shoes and Boots if you know how to fix Linux WeiDU to work with cp1252 encoding (I don't).

#84 FlameWing

FlameWing
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:11 AM

Since I am about to rebuild my BG1/BG2 installations, and I intend to play BGT, I would love to help getting BGT 1.13 working on Linux. I will probably install it through ciopfs as I did before my last hd crash; but I can test without it too. And yes, I have seen Turambar's post with the tools and diffs; how close will it be to BGT 1.13?

#85 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:42 AM

Here is the most recent version of bgt for linux. IT IS AN ALPHA VERSION!
I don't work on the BGT files, so I don't know what has changed and will change there; I only worked on the installation process.
I managed to install it without problems, and, what's most important, the override folder was correctly restored after uninstallation.
I did not test, though, if it really worked.
So, it shouldn't ruin your game, but it could still crash or have that kind of problems.
Since I've edited something, something could crash, now, under Windows.

Other warnings: it needs the latest beta of weidu (here). There is a weidu executable inside, but it's only 230 and won't work.
It can only be used on mac if it uses the windows game, with wine; moreover, mac users should put their binaries for tisunpack, tis2bg2, mosunpack and weidu inside bgt/install/osx/bin.
New strings haven't been traified yet
There could be other leftovers from my tests.

What's new: - no need to lowercase BG1 (you still have to lowercase BG2, though) or to install it in particular paths; whatever path BG1 is installed to, it will work. How? all needed bg1 resources are simlinked (in lower case) inside a subfolder of bgt.
- No problems with executable permissions, even if the game is installed on NTFS or FAT: all scripts are called via sh; all executables are copied to /tmp and launched from there.
-You can chose to either biff everything, or to only biff the .tis, wed, wav,... files (if you want to install other mods afterwards; can be specified with flag o) or to biff everything (flag b). Otherwise, you will be prompted.

The archive contains my debug files (setup-bgt.debug and bgt/bash.debug), in case asc needs them.

If someone wants to test it, TIA.

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#86 FlameWing

FlameWing
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:13 AM

Thanks for that! I still haven't tried for two reasons: 1) that I found out that the stock Ubuntu version of ciopfs has a bug in symlink creation; but being Ubuntu, I will either have to compile my own version of the fix or wait 6 months for it or not use it (in all fairness, I think I will compile my own version but then not use it -- so as to better test BGT); and 2) that I have been converting the BiG World Fixpack to a shell script so I can smooth over the many mods I will be installing.

#87 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:05 PM

The above alpha is slightly old, since I have already revised the code a bit.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#88 FlameWing

FlameWing
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:08 AM

That version is failing on me: in bgt/install/linux/linkbg1.sh:23, the variable reference at the end of line should be '$file' instead of '$res'; the following 'if' in line 26 is also unnecessary, as the previous for loop does its job. Also, in setup-bgt.tp2 in lines 256 and 449, file '%bg1_dir%/data/area000a.bif' is checked twice. After I fixed the issues in bgt/install/linux/linkbg1.sh, it seems to be going fine.

There have been several warnings on tileset conversion; they go on like:
[Source]: area7700/ar0700n.wed, V1.3
          area7700/ar0700n.tis, V1  
[Output]: area7700/ar7700n.wed, V1  
          area7700/ar7700n.tis, no header

Basic tiles number: 		3588
 Doors extra tiles number: 	51
 Animations extra tiles number: 0

Warning :	 Cannot handle area MOS file

Warning :	 Cannot handle area _HT.bmp file

Warning :	 Cannot handle area _LM.bmp file

Warning :	 Cannot handle area _SR.bmp file

Tiles processed: 3588 of 3588
Warning :	 Cannot delete source area MOS file

Warning :	 Cannot delete source area _HT.bmp file

Warning :	 Cannot delete source area _LM.bmp file

Warning :	 Cannot delete source area _SR.bmp file
Tiles processed: 3588 of 3588 done.
Extra 20 overlay tiles added.

After that, the message 'Would you like to biff all new resources (RECOMMENDED, unless you are performing a mega-mod installation)?\n[Y]es or [N]o' kept being spammed, and only ctrl+c made any difference (and note that the newline appeared as '\n', not as a newline). The cause is, of course, that the tp2 doesn't actually read user input at that point... specifically, this code at around line 9912:
PRINT ~Would you like to biff all new resources (RECOMMENDED, unless you are performing a mega-mod installation)?\n[Y]es or [N]o~
should instead be:
PRINT ~Would you like to biff all new resources (RECOMMENDED, unless you are performing a mega-mod installation)?~
PRINT ~[Y]es or [N]o~
ACTION_READLN ~read~

Oh, and I forgot before: there is a (seemingly harmless) warning due to setup-bgt.tp2:162 -- a nonexistent (and apparently unused) file is trying to be copied there. Since I don't know if this is actually used (maybe in one of the scripts), I copied weidu from the bin directory.

Now to see if it works in-game after I reapply BGT to a clean copy with the above issues fixed.

Edit: Installed and working. Now to pile on mods on top of it...

Edited by FlameWing, 10 November 2011 - 05:58 AM.

#89 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:40 AM

That version is failing on me: in bgt/install/linux/linkbg1.sh:23, the variable reference at the end of line should be '$file' instead of '$res'; the following 'if' in line 26 is also unnecessary, as the previous for loop does its job. Also, in setup-bgt.tp2 in lines 256 and 449, file '%bg1_dir%/data/area000a.bif' is checked twice. After I fixed the issues in bgt/install/linux/linkbg1.sh, it seems to be going fine.

Thanks for the report. The first one was probably something remaining from an older version; I don't know how I could install it anyway...
Line 26 deals with dialogF.tlk, not dialog.tlk; I don't know what it's for (I think it should contain strings for females but that's never been implemented...).
The other check is performed once in each of two similar loops.

There have been several warnings on tileset conversion; they go on like:

[Source]: area7700/ar0700n.wed, V1.3
          area7700/ar0700n.tis, V1  
[Output]: area7700/ar7700n.wed, V1  
          area7700/ar7700n.tis, no header

Basic tiles number: 		3588
 Doors extra tiles number: 	51
 Animations extra tiles number: 0

Warning :	 Cannot handle area MOS file

Warning :	 Cannot handle area _HT.bmp file

Warning :	 Cannot handle area _LM.bmp file

Warning :	 Cannot handle area _SR.bmp file

Tiles processed: 3588 of 3588
Warning :	 Cannot delete source area MOS file

Warning :	 Cannot delete source area _HT.bmp file

Warning :	 Cannot delete source area _LM.bmp file

Warning :	 Cannot delete source area _SR.bmp file
Tiles processed: 3588 of 3588 done.
Extra 20 overlay tiles added.

Those are actually intended, since some SR , MOS,... files are overwritten by bgt, so there's no need to convert them from bg1. Thanks anyway.

After that, the message 'Would you like to biff all new resources (RECOMMENDED, unless you are performing a mega-mod installation)?\n[Y]es or [N]o' kept being spammed, and only ctrl+c made any difference (and note that the newline appeared as '\n', not as a newline). The cause is, of course, that the tp2 doesn't actually read user input at that point... specifically, this code at around line 9912:

PRINT ~Would you like to biff all new resources (RECOMMENDED, unless you are performing a mega-mod installation)?\n[Y]es or [N]o~
should instead be:
PRINT ~Would you like to biff all new resources (RECOMMENDED, unless you are performing a mega-mod installation)?~
PRINT ~[Y]es or [N]o~
ACTION_READLN ~read~

Oh, and I forgot before: there is a (seemingly harmless) warning due to setup-bgt.tp2:162 -- a nonexistent (and apparently unused) file is trying to be copied there. Since I don't know if this is actually used (maybe in one of the scripts), I copied weidu from the bin directory.

Now to see if it works in-game after I reapply BGT to a clean copy with the above issues fixed.

Concerning the biffs: you're right, I must have forgotten it, and I never tested that prompt (I always installed with --argv-list o... or b... )
Concerning weidu, that file is only used if weidu can't be found either in the path or in the game folder; in that case, that executable will be used, even if it's not the latest version.

I have little time these days, but I'll have a look to the new version ASAP

Edited by Turambar, 10 November 2011 - 05:44 AM.

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#90 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:41 PM

Noted, thanks.
@Turambar: if you are busy, I can make the necessary changes and re-post another test.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#91 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:18 AM

The new test 3 version seem to install out of the box on Linux. I am currently in the process of checking each areas, it's almost done and everything is working so far. Great job !
French translator of: BG2 FixPack, BG2 Tweaks, Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU, BGT-Tweaks and some minor mods.

#92 FlameWing

FlameWing
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:38 AM

Hm. BG1 dreams seem to be happening one chapter later than they should. Although I suppose this is unrelated to BGT in Linux, and I should make a separate bug report elsewhere...

#93 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

Hm. BG1 dreams seem to be happening one chapter later than they should. Although I suppose this is unrelated to BGT in Linux, and I should make a separate bug report elsewhere...

Actually the BGT counts the chapters with a +1 chapter count... to the original, because you start at chapter one in Candlekeep, not from "tutorial".

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 17 November 2011 - 11:46 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#94 i30817

i30817
  • 611 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:20 PM

Yeah, it was very easy to miss the first power in the original because you didn't rest in candlekeep.

BTW, it's very easy to lose the opportunity to help aradeth against the druids in BGT with TotSC. Because of the extra chapters and the script checking for chapter (originally, before bg is open, but mean while, Aradeth doesn't disappear anymore (don't recall if he did on the original, or if it is just a way to not spawn the druids in Baldur's gate city).

#95 i30817

i30817
  • 611 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:24 PM

Why do so many mods need "linux versions" btw? Wouldn't it suffice to use a linux WeiDU, some %EXTERNAL_APP_EXE% set by Weidu for the mods that need external execs and use only one (portable) download?

Edited by i30817, 20 November 2011 - 08:24 PM.

#96 neird

neird
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:05 AM

Why do so many mods need "linux versions" btw? Wouldn't it suffice to use a linux WeiDU, some %EXTERNAL_APP_EXE% set by Weidu for the mods that need external execs and use only one (portable) download?

Most big mods use BAT scripts at install/uninstall. For Linux all BATs should be converted to shell scripts.
Or BATs should be converted to tp2 to make install cross platform.

find * -name '*.sh' | grep -Eo "^[^/]+/" | sort | uniq
assassinations
bg1ub
bg2-tweaks
bgt
bonehill
bp-bgt-worldmap
ctb
d0questpack
darkhorizons
drizztsaga
dsotsc
dungeon-crawl
eilistraee
fadingpromises
g3anniversary
homewardbound
innershade
iwd-in-bg2
ntotsc
rot
sos
tdd
toa
tod
totdg
ts-bp
vecna

#97 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:54 AM

Which is impossible if you don't want to either size up either the WeiDU.exe that all the mods carry, or use games own file formats, which will make the download sizes bigger and more cumbersome. As the .bat execute file unpacking via included .exe ... which obviously don't work on Linux and other OS'es.

Yes, a single source "a platform" install tool could be used, but no one has offered to maintain one.
As in, it comes with the latest WeiDu.exe replacement for this Operation system, latest version of the updated mods .bat command lines converted to that platform and and support to all the possible mods installable with normal PC. But the workload is huge as the tool needs to carry tools that take care of the .tiz -> .tis file conversions, .amc -> .wavc or .wav and whatever else the .bat's usually do. As for example the old stile make-biff commands are still a Weidu.exe console commands, not a .tp2 commands... as far as the big mods go.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#98 neird

neird
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:31 AM

Which is impossible if you don't want to either size up either the WeiDU.exe that all the mods carry, or use games own file formats, which will make the download sizes bigger and more cumbersome. As the .bat execute file unpacking via included .exe ... which obviously don't work on Linux and other OS'es.

Yes, a single source "a platform" install tool could be used, but no one has offered to maintain one.
As in, it comes with the latest WeiDu.exe replacement for this Operation system, latest version of the updated mods .bat command lines converted to that platform and and support to all the possible mods installable with normal PC. But the workload is huge as the tool needs to carry tools that take care of the .tiz -> .tis file conversions, .amc -> .wavc or .wav and whatever else the .bat's usually do. As for example the old stile make-biff commands are still a Weidu.exe console commands, not a .tp2 commands... as far as the big mods go.

Not impossible, just hard. You can use tp2 just for 'flow control', call external tisunpack, mosunpack, tis2bg2, oggdec, sox, weidu (for biffing) and
use %EXTERNAL_APP_EXE% to set necessary paths.
Such tp2 can be created mostly as one-to-one command mapping from BAT commands.
Linux shell scripts for most mods can be automaticaly converted from BATs.
Same can be done for tp2.

#99 i30817

i30817
  • 611 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:11 PM

Exactly what i meant. But i don't suppose all of the tools needed compile in linux do they (there is always wine...)?

And it would be best if weidu itself set the paths. So that modders don't have to distribute the executables (and then need a "linux version" afterall).

The only download with a "linux" or "osx" version would be WeiDU.

Edited by i30817, 21 November 2011 - 03:17 PM.

#100 neird

neird
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:47 PM

Exactly what i meant. But i don't suppose all of the tools needed compile in linux do they (there is always wine...)?
And it would be best if weidu itself set the paths. So that modders don't have to distribute the executables (and then need a "linux version" afterall).
The only download with a "linux" or "osx" version would be WeiDU.

All necessary tools (tispack/tisunpack, mospack/mosunpack, tis2bg2, weidu, sox, oggdec) already exist for linux.
Maybe also wavc, snd2acm, acm2wav are used but i could not find recent mod which uses these at install time.
If installed system wide in /usr/bin, paths are unnecessary in linux too.
When i installed megamod in linux for myself, i dropped included ones anyway for consistency reason.